Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

He's still plugging his sponsors, but he left out the make of his ride.

This is a very cool thread. Thanks for all the info and pics, guys.

Racing has a really rich and often overlooked history in Texas and across these United States.

Edited by TexPete

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember racing against Bruce in this midget.

The car pictured looks to be a "Cherokee" midget and if I recall correctly was painted a light yellow with red nose stripes and green lettering reflecting the colors of the Monterey House Mexican Food establishments.

His brother Robert Dowdy if I recall correctly drove a Racecraft midget.

This photo was taken around 1959-60 time period. Might have been at the Liberty, Texas track or possibly Lollipop Speedway.

The smiling gentleman is Robert and Bruce's father.

Good to see the memories created here.

Randy Nick & Denny Thanks for the welcome. What a special time and place. My Dad was a Houston Policeman. As an extra job he worked the traffic at Playland Park on South Main. First we would take in all the rides at what was Texas's first Amusement Park. Then we watched with a couple of thousand other fans the Stock cars, Midget racers, and Demolition Derbys from the Raceway stands. The excitement came from watching drivers like Foyt, Burton, Schilds, and McDaniels as they seem to virtually fly around the track. The sounds of the car's engimes and even the smell of the fuels they burned are forever etched in my mind. Be careful what you wish for. The next thing you know we were strapped in Quarter Midgets and became a part of this wild competitive sport. The Baby Boomers were about to go for the ride of our lives.

In this Picture Robert Tom Bruce Dowdy\

post-3-1267805607.jpg

Randy

I love your post. I am talking with Robert about these times and plan on writing more in the future. My car was built in late 1958 from scratch by my Uncle Pat Mullins who was a mechanic for the Houston Fire Department. Robert's car I thought was a Curtis Midget. I may be wrong. It looked like an Indianapolis Racer. It was candy apple red with gold. I'm reading all your post and have learned alot from you. I have many thoughts that I plan on sharing with you in the future regarding my memories of this era. The Cars and the Drivers. I look forward to your responses. The 1959 picture of the three cars. The car in the middle was the first car Robert and I took turns driving as we entered the competion in early 1958. It was slow and we didn't win. But we learned alot and you have to start somewhere. I was about 8. Robert was about 10. Tom was about 4.

Hi Bruce,

You are very welcome and it's wonderful to see you guys again!

You would know your midget better than I, although the front sure looks like the nose piece of a "Cherokee Midget".

You will see Junior Wingo driving one further back on this thread.

Looking at the photo you posted, that is a "Race Craft" midget that Robert is driving for sure!

Not sure what Tommy is driving but would bet it is a "Home Made" midget as so many were in those days.

I remember these cars like yesterday and what fun we all had as young racers. We all hung around Playland Park and Meyer Speedway as we grew up.

Lost my dad in 1992 and can still remember the fun we all had as our dad's were the mecehanics in most cases.

Stay in touch and find more photos if you can. I am also a moderator for this thread and if you need posting help, be sure to let me know.

Get a load out of that 59 Ford Ambulance in the background. They were always around just in case..

Many great memories out there.

Good to hear from you Bruce! :rolleyes:

Bruce,

This is awesome!

Uncle Burt Lynn had the TV show on Channel 2 in Houston and was very instrumental in promoting the Quarter Midgets in this area.

The Sunday morning broadcast was very popular.

The photos are awesome and really bring on the memories. I was in that rodeo parade also in 1958 or 59. My car was loaded on the trailer and I was sitting in it as I was being towed behind the car. My job was to wave at the crowds and hand out flyers about the race track.

When the parade had a lag in the forward motion, Burt would lead the cars in a circular motion until the parade picked up again as you see in the photo you posted. Since we couldn't stop we just drove in a circle.

Bruce, are you sure that is 1960? Burt was no longer the promoter at the Gulf Freeway track as Joe Jordon had taken over as the promoter. I am thinking this is February 1959 just before Joe Jordon took over.

I have a few of those ribbons somewhere packed up in a box along with trophies and memos.

Boy am I glad you found us here!

Thanks, Bruce for the shots!

Bruce,

The top photo was taken at Allendale shopping center or otherwise known as Lolly Pop Speedway and sponsored by the Pasadena Jaycees along with MJ Burton being instrumental in starting the night races there.

A few day races were held there also.

The trophy queen in the top photo appears to be Pam Miller who also drove the red and white "Grand Prix" midget sponsored by Carnation Milk company. I'm a little fuzzy on her car number at the moment but I'm sure it will come to me soon..

The bottom photo reflects the late Sandra Honea who we lost to cancer last year and is shown here as the trophy queen. Sandra drove the red and white "Moss" midget #10 and several shots of her are on this thread further back. She could not make the reunion in 2008 due to her illness and soon after we were informed by family she had left us.

We were saddened to hear of her passing..

The photo was taken at the Gulfgate track as you can see all the sponsors painted on the fence. I want to say the photo on the bottom was probably taken in the Spring of 59.

1959 was the last season for the Gulfgate track which became a Go-Kart track only for a short time and was sponsored by the Telephone Road Lions club.

In 1960 races were moved to Pasadena Rodeo grounds and that was the last track I drove on besides the Galveston track.

This stuff really brings back those fun days of our youth.

I miss them dearly but the memories are as fresh as yesterday..

-Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the help!

Bruce and I have spent many hours since he found this site discussing how good we were, and who was the best. Thank you for the memories seeing and knowing that it is still alive. I will send more pictures later. These days I play with old cars, I have a Hemi Roadrunner that is an E ticket ride, and I will download a few pics of it.

Robert #48

Nick,

How dare you mess with those quarter midget post..lol

Robert and Bruce,

Good to hear from you Robert and we welcome you also to the legends of Quarter Midget drivers in Houston and Texas as a matter of fact.

You guys need to attend my classic car shows held on Saturday nights in Spring.

For the past seven years we all come together and show off our cars with attendance records reaching 300 to 400 hundred classic cars.

Visit my web site when you have a chance or better yet bring your classic out and join us!

Randy

Sometimes I get the feeling I to would like to turn back the clock of time. Ain't it a shame that we couldn't go back and take one more ride. Those days are gone but thanks to Nick at Lone Star Speedzone and to you they are being captured on this site. You are a great moderator and I applaud you. Growing up I questioned "Who am I" and "Where do I Fit In". I take pride that I was a quarter midget driver name Bruce Dowdy and that I fit into my car # 47. The group of drivers are a limited elite group of lucky kids who were blessed with the chance to compete in this sport. Think back to how our schoolmates have so little to remember about this part of their childhood while we were living a dream as the green flag was dropped and the race began.

Your friend,

Bruce

Bruce,

Right on!

I couldn't have expressed it any better.

Yes, we were lucky to have been a part of the early days of racing them Quarters!

Trying to figure a way to get back in one!

Nothing like the experience as a kid, hearts beating fast, butt tingling and a tight grip on the wheel with a side eye of the competition on your tail end, the RPM roar in your ear, the smell of fuel, an occasional glance at the spectators and of course the dads giving us the signal to hammer down and most importantly a desire to be a winner!

Trophy queens were a good reason too..! :rolleyes:

Got my vote buddy!

Tom,

This is very sad news indeed...

I haven't heard from Doug in awhile and need to contact him. I appreciate the information Tom.

What a nice gentleman he was.

Randy

In this earlier picture you posted of a Drivers Meeting. If you look in the middle you now can spot us standing in the middle with gray coats on with a red and white stripe acroos them. Robert the taller one on the left. My Dad between us. I'm on the right.

These were our Dowdy Brothers Racing Team Jackets. The same ones you see us wearing at the 1959 Houston Rodeo Parade.

Bruce

post-10477-1268319192.jpg

Randy

I was saddened by the lost of Sandra Honea #10. When you think that in 1959 that she and other females were way ahead of their times. She was a fierce compeitor and I remember we didn't want to get beat by a girl. This was at the Labor Day Race in Galveston. Do you know the date? If you look at the earlier clipping you have I beat her in this heat race but she came back and beat us all in the Final. The winners were given a ride in a helicopter and she and I rode together. And what does it say about her that in the picture with Robert that she would also be the Trophy Girl. What an outstanding person she was. She got mad at me one time when we got tangled up in a Race for scratching her Moss Midget. I blamed her and she blamed me. Then we both started laughing and shook hands. I wish I could shake her hand today. She was one of us.

Bruce

post-3-1268325822.jpg

Bruce,

Life is but a short time and I only wish she could have seen this photo for I am sure she would have been thrilled to see this shot especially since she lost all of her photos in a flood.

Sandra was a wonderful person in all aspects of life while a respective competitor as well.

I had nick named her "Tomboy Honea" and would joke with her. She was a Good Sport.

Good shot as you can see the left front wheel and the suspension hiked up from the torque of the engine.

The Moss midgets were famous for the suspension rise when accelerating. It was a dead give away when running beside these midgets as to when the the foot was on the pedal. I used to watch for the hike when competing with the drivers of these midgets as to know when to jump the gun on them.

The same would go when they let off the accelerator and you would see the nose dive.

Colorful to watch no doubt.

Sandra now joins her father for the race track in another deminsion.

I'm also sorry we missed her at the reunion. She called me the day before apologizing for not being able to attend. That's when I found out she was fighting the cancer.

This looks like the same day we all raced at Scholls Field in Galveston where we all took home honors.

It was a Labor Day race weekend and took place in September, 1960

I am happy to know that a few of us were able to save photos for this posting on Lone Star Speed Zone. I would never guess I would be telling the stories of those wonderful days of Quarter Midget racing in it's infancy.

Thank goodness for the memories and the time to live and tell about them for others to enjoy.

I appreciate the information on the photo you pointed out showing you, Robert and your dad. That clears up some of the guessing. I can't remember some of the others as the photo was rather a far away shot and some of the drivers were either new or had left after the photo was shot.

This was taken in late 58 or early 59. I had just started driving the Pacemaker midget when this was shot. I can tell because I also got the Bell racing helment the same time of the midget and you see I have it on.

I wrecked #76 in May of 1958.

It was probably my favorite midget as far as looks, but there was no comparison to the Pacemaker when it came to handling.

It's amazing how I can still feel the midget and steering wheel grip still today.

Thanks for all the photos Bruce and it's a pleasure to see and hear from both of you after all these years. Keep posting all you can. The photos are great.

I can't think of another sport that could compare to racing these little machines.

Enjoy while we can ..the memories and input on this forum.

Wonderful days they were!

-Randy

Randy,

I also missed Sandra at our reunion. As far as loosing to a girl, I never looked at it that way. I raced against Pam & Cindy Palm, Beverly Dowda, and Susan Joseph here in San Antonio. Linda Hice from Dallas and Sandra from there in Houston. I never saw them more than a great competitor. To be the best, you need to beat the the best, and these ladies were definitely great competitors. I won some and I lost some, but we all were great friends.

I would like to thank Tom Taylor for being the great racing historian that he is and for being a friend of my family.

Doug McBride...

Doug,

Thanks for keeping up with us and for dropping by as always it is good to see you here.

We are also very saddened to hear about your dad. He was always a gentleman and good friend to the quarter midget world and an awesome mechanic!

You should be proud of that and also recognize that many had high repects for him. I know I did.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

As to Tom, he has been a great help in connecting us again and I thank him for that. Although I have never met the gentleman in person, I have heard nothing but great things about Tom and that's good enough for me.

Maybe someday I will get to meet him.

He does wonders for the racing world from what I can see with his postings and knowledge in the racing business.

Say Thanks to Tom for us.

If there is anything we can do for you are your family, please let us know.

Thanks Doug for everything and I will have your photos sent back to you soon.

-Randy