Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Another Flashback Moment From Doug Plank In South Carolina..

Guaranteed to bring tears to your eyes.

This picture was taken on July 3, 2010 at the Mac-O-Chee Quarter Midget Club Hall of Fame ceremonies in West Liberty, Ohio, Ryan Barr took the Plank family car 31 (1957 Wahlborg 300) for a few practice laps. Not only the envy of his racing buddies for driving a vintage car, a few days later Ryan drove to a 4th place finish in the A class at the 2010 Grand Nationals in Indianapolis.

post-8338-1279333589.jpg

· The car (31, “Copperhead”) was purchased for the Plank boys (Doug, Dennis, Darry) for Christmas 1957

· The car is owned by Darry Plank (far right)

· Patriarch of the Plank family team, *5 year old John Plank (HOF 2009) stands 3rd from left.

· Standing by John is Joy Plank, wife, mother, grandma, great grandma and captain of the Plank racing team)

· 31 has been kept in its original condition by Darry (HOF 2009)

· Darry was the last to drive 31 in competition in 1962. Darry drove 31 from 59 through 62

· The car and the engine that had not been run for 48 years.

· Doug Plank (2nd from right, son of John and brother to Darry, HOF 2009) drove 31 in 58 and 59 and then other cars until 1962.

· Unable to attend was Dennis Plank (HOF 2009) who drove 31 in late 50’s

· Kenny Plank is in the middle (third from left). Kenny is Darry’s grandson, great grandson of John and Joy, and the son of Ken Sr. second generation driver (deceased) who drove for Darry from 1982-89).

· Young Kenny accepted his dad Ken’s 2010 Mac-O-Chee Hall of fame induction at the event.

· In the far back middle is Chris Plank (who has also driven), son of Darry, home on furlough from the US Marines for the occasion.

· That’s second generation driver Ryan Barr at the wheel in 31.

· Chad Barr (far left) is the father of Ryan and drove in the eighties for his dad Mike (not pictured) against Ken Plank in cars owned by Darry.

· That's Ryans mom Rhonda kneeling beside him (officer in the Mac-O-Chee club).

Doug Plank

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help with identification

Doug Plank from South Carolina sent us these photos of a 1/4 Midget and asking for advise and description.

The best I can tell and known to the boys in Texas is a "Racecraft" midget. However, there have been a few modifications to the body made over it's life span.

post-8338-1279685686.jpg

post-8338-1279685785.jpg

post-8338-1279685804.jpg

post-8338-1279685849.jpg

There are signs of changes made but, I do believe it is a Racecraft with it's markings and traditional markings.

The original body did not have louvers but the grill, front axle, and bumpers relate to a Racecraft and appears someone wanted to add effects to the body.

The protruding side panels on the side are also signs of a Racecraft.

It is possible that other sub manufactures used the Racecraft body to produce their own version which was not totally uncommon.

Look for a serial number on the frame which quite possibly be on the top of the frame near the left rear wheel.

Note the "Butterfly" steering wheel..

Row call..

post-8338-1279864658.jpg

The racer on the bottom cannot be identified..but possibly a 500 as Doug McBride drove in Texas

The next two are (King) 500 Wahlborgs, then a Race Craft, and two Kurtis Kraft 500's from what I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

MORE 1/4 MIDGET ADDS

Adds for Race Craft and Wahlborgs

Photos courtesy of Doug Plank ( South Carolina )

post-8338-1280808484.jpg

post-8338-1280808496.jpg

post-8338-1280809012.jpg

Pacemakers

post-8338-1280810142.jpg

post-8338-1280810240.jpg

These two Pacemakers have been radically changed from their original production as to suspension and friction side shocks.

They are rare non the less and could use a lot of restoration work.

• 2 weeks later...

Walhborg Retired Racer

Resting after early years of racing

post-8338-1281673361.jpg

post-8338-1281673645.jpg

Looking at this midget automatically sends you back to your youthful days of the mid to late 50's when Quarter Midget racing was born.

Wahlborgs were plentiful in the racing world during the days

Thanks Jim,

I actually tried to buy these midgets but someone else snatched them up!

They were in Wisconsin and someone there stole them at a great price..

Oh well, just like racin...win some lose some :(

• 2 weeks later...

More Quarter Midget Legends

It was a pleasure speaking with Doug Schiller by telephone from Port Lavaca, Texas and a native New Yorker and West Coast citizen.

Doug now in Port Lavaca has restored many 1/4 Midgets over the past decade and has been generous to share some of the photos of his work with us on this forum.

Doug, thanks so much and stay in touch when you can. By the way you have performed some wonderful work here!

All of the midgets below are Offyettes both 1/4 and 1/2 midgets according to Doug although the Yellow 7 resembles a 1/2 midget Moss from the rear. They were very close in design.

post-8338-1283068674.jpg

post-8338-1283068700.jpg

post-8338-1283068739.jpg

post-8338-1283068767.jpg

The photo below is Doug racing his 1/4 midget in 1954

post-8338-1283068813.jpg

The next photo shows how dedicated Doug is with his Quarter Midget restos and has even developed his own logo to the occassion.

post-8338-1283068845.jpg

..More Restored Midgets from Doug Schiller, Port Lavaca, Tx

AWESOME work Doug!!

Below a Racecraft Midget

post-8338-1283070463.jpg

Next, a "500" Kurtis Kraft Midget

post-8338-1283070599.jpg

Below a "Tiny Mite" Midget

post-8338-1283070650.jpg

I will have to rely on Doug to identify correctly the two midgets below although I remember the body designs, I am not sure I can accurately name them..but we know one is a DMC

post-8338-1283070696.jpg

post-8338-1283070821.jpg

Doug feel free to jump in here with your input. Again wonderful work here!!

I really admire the # 5 midget!

:rolleyes:

Randy,

These are of Dean Lowe's Kurtis 1/4 midget. First photo - him racing in 1957 @ Kansas, Second, the same model restored as replica of original, Third, the car as it sits @ The Justice Bros. Racing Museum in CA.

Keep in touch,

Doug

post-8338-1283071380.jpg

post-8338-1283071421.jpg

post-8338-1283071458.jpg

By the way, here is one more midget below restored by Doug.

It is a wonderful work of art that Doug has done here restoring these wonderful midgets!

post-8338-1283071764.jpg

Randy,

Sorry I've been away for a while but been chasing the NASCAR races all over the country and just got back.

Awesome pictures.... keep them coming.

Almost wish they make a new Kurtis 500 that I could fit into. Those restorations are beautiful.

My first experience driving was an Offy at the Galveston airport when the Noon Optimist Club was considering a track.

Then, on my 5th birthday in 1956 my dad surprised me with a stock Kurtis 500 and it was on up at Gulfgate with Uncle Bertie, etc. My sponsers were Bert Lynn Music and 7-UP for the TV shows.

The next year got the Solt, slicks, fuel and for the next couple years tried to keep up with ya'll in Gulfgate, Pasadena, at the nationals in Garland and everywhere else.

The rest is history right up to the time I wrecked you when you tried that stupid pass on the outside of me between 1 and 2 at Gulfgate- ha.

I must offer this though... the steering wheel on a 1955-1956 Kurtis 500 was a very small half-circular wheel....sort of D-shaped if you looked at it from the side. The grips at 3 and 9 o-clock were solid with rubber coverings.

The very top of the wheel from about 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock was also covered with the same rubber but had no steel or any support behind it so it would give if you pressed on it.... perhaps a safety thing back then? The rubber that covered this "half-moon" wheel also had parallel blue and red stripes that ran all the way around on the top covering of the rubber.

You can see from the attached picture of me (bad ass, I know) how small the wheel was... perhaps only 8-9 inches across.

That's the only thing I see wrong with the early restorations.

-Bruce

post-12046-1283194504.jpg

Edited by BruceBoening

Hey Bruce,

Welcome back to the forum..

Yes, I remember the steering wheel on the Kurtis Kraft that did not have the full circle steel reinforcement and it was designed for safety in case we were projected forward and hit the steering wheel and lose our teeth or possibly a chin!

The Racecraft had the same design where you could actually bend the upper part of the steering wheel somewhat for the same safety purposes.

No one would guess that our speeds and agressive driving would be an after thought to maybe including shoulder harnesses in addition to the lap belts.

Think about it. Roll bars, and shoulder harnesses came later as well as Bell helments. However the Big Midget drivers didn't necessarily have them either in the 50's. With the quarters being designed to be the off spring of the big brothers, all considerations were to mimic the big midgets.

Moving on here..

If you observe the photo of Doug's Kurtis taken in 1954 you will see it has a different steering wheel than the Kurtis "500" that you drove, and it appears that Doug either included the wheel or cloned one to match the photo illustrated # 93.

Note also that the body is different than the Kurtis 500 as shown as the gold # 7 and again like the one you drove.

I would say you are correct on the Gold Kurtis Kraft # 7 steering wheel as not being exactly original as we remembered it.

In addition I am not sure of the black # 93 as to make or year making it different than # 7 other than it does have a different body style. Perhaps it is the earlier version of the Kurtis or different model series.

I am sure Doug would have the correct answers for us on this subject.

The late 50's Kurtis Krafts I remember were driven by you, Jeff Lynn, and Sonny Richardson. There were more, but those I remember well.

OK smart AZZ

:rolleyes:

As to the wreck I am not sure you know the difference in left and right??

On a circle track you begin turning left for the curves and the only time you would turn right would be to correct a power slide. :huh:

Since you couldn't get the speeds over twenty miles an hour on the track and hogged the inner groove you never knew what a power slide was and must have watched the other guys turn right in curves to avoid spinning out.

Maybe you thought you were just suppose to turn the wheels to the right for the fun of it? :blink:

Remember Bruce, there are no exit signs in the curves like today's freeways to get off either. :lol:

At least we are still here to debate that day and let's face it.. those were fun days neither of us will forget.

Have a wonderful day all kidding aside..and thanks for the photo!

Information from Doug Schiller

This article was written for and published in Coast2Coast Quarter Midget News

Fifty years after Dean Lowe churned up the dirt of quarter midget tracks across America I was fortunate to find a very rare Kurtis-Kraft “Jellybean” quarter midget. The same model as Dean’s original race car. A local newspaper had run a small classified ad touting an early Kurtis quarter midget for sale. I called for directions and within an hour I was peering at, what I soon realized was, a 1955 “Jellybean” Kurtis. It was hidden beneath a roll of carpet and a jumble of dinette chairs. The vintage quarter midget was an almost complete Kurtis in fair shape considering its age. A few metal pieces were missing, but nothing that couldn’t be easily reproduced. It took six months of negotiating before I was able to actually purchase it from its’ owner. The “Jellybean” nickname came from the Kurtis’ front body section resembling a jellybean.

After the purchase, months were to pass before I found a special gift under the Christmas tree. It was a book from my wife. The volume was Gordon Eliot White’s biography of Frank Kurtis: Kurtis-Kraft: Masterworks of Speed and Style. In it I found a small section on quarter midgets and karts that the Kurtis-Kraft Company built. Included among the pictures illustrating that section was a photo of a “Jellybean” Kurtis driven by Dean Lowe. The caption stated the picture was taken while Dean and his family were visiting the Kansas 1/4 Midget Racing Association in Wichita, KS. One look at the car in the picture and I was hooked. I felt compelled to take my recently acquired “Jellybean” and turn it into the one shown in the photo. The problem was, I didn’t have any details about the car in the picture. The photo was in black and white, thus leaving few clues as to how to accurately reproduce the car with regard to color, lettering and upholstery.

It took me months before I was able to find someone to help me fill in the missing details. The person I ultimately found to help me was the driver of that 1955 Kurtis quarter midget, Dean Lowe. I had had little success using the phone book in my search for the correct Dean Lowe. I finally took a stab at using the company name painted on the side of the car body in my phone search. The lettering “L&L Screw Machine Products” and “El Monte, Calif.” were clearly displayed. In my last attempt to find someone who knew something about the car I did an Internet “Yellow Page.com” search and to my surprise up popped the number for L&L Screw Machine. I phoned L&L at once in hopes that they could direct me to Dean Lowe. The phone rang twice and a voice answered. I took a chance and asked for Dean Lowe. To my shock, the person on the phone replied, “Speaking.”

In the weeks that followed, Dean and I had numerous phone conversations which helped to fill in many of the missing details of the #93 “Buzz Bomb” Kurtis-Kraft quarter midget that was in Gordon White’s book. I learned from Dean, facts that included car color, color of lettering and color of upholstery. Additional, lesser known details also emerged. Facts like the front axle and other steering components were cadmium plated, not chromed and only the outer halves of the two piece wheels were chrome plated while the inner halves were painted black. These kind of small details helped me in creating a more accurate reproduction. I eventually had the opportunity to meet Dean in person. He regaled me with stories about his father, his brother Jack, who also raced quarter midgets and, of course, Frank Kurtis. He was also kind enough to provide me with some of the “Buzz Bomb's” original pieces, including several of those wheel halves that were on that first car. Dean also offered an axle sprocket which his father had “Swiss cheesed” with holes to lighten it.

My desire to accurately recreate this historically significant quarter midget took about six months of planning and work. As I do in all my restorations, I took a series of pictures from every angle both with and without the body. These always provide a good reference when it comes time for reassembly. As mentioned earlier, the body was in good shape and needed only minor fiberglass repair before painting. Most of the sheet metal was badly rusted and had to be replaced. The front and rear bumpers, as well as the side nerf bars were reproduced from scratch. thanks to that photo in Gordon White’s book. I made new torsion bars and fitted them both front and rear. I found an old three spoke 1960’s “hot rod” steering wheel and cut the spokes out of it and created a duplicate of the single spoke design found on Dean’s #93. The engine bay of this car had been damaged and altered over the years, so it required some heavy duty fabricating and welding. Once the chassis was restored and body fitted with new Dzus fasteners and screws, it was ready for the paint booth.

I couldn’t have accomplished this restoration project alone. I had lots of help along the way. Among those who helped was Arlen Kurtis, Frank Kurtis’ son, who provided me with a piece of the same expanded metal his father used in the grille of that first Kurtis quarter midget. Arlen also provided me with the “Kurtis 500” logo which adorned most of Kurtis’ quarter midget race cars. The engine parts were donated by friend and fellow vintage quarter midget collector, Steve LeGras of Visalia, CA. Because I wanted the car to be as authentic as possible, I approached my long time friend Ron Blanchard of Blanchard Signs in Riverside, CA to do the lettering and gold leaf numbers. We used the original photos from Dean’s scrapbook to guide us in the correct positioning and size of lettering. His final brush strokes proved to be the finishing touches on the project. After all the lettering was completed, Ron graciously indicated he was donating his many hours of work to this project!

Although the car used to create the replica of Buzz and Dean Lowe’s #93 “Buzz Bomb” was not the original, it certainly proved to be a good foundation upon which to build. My involvement in this restoration was truly a labor of love. I thoroughly enjoyed recreating this very special car and meeting some wonderful people along the way. The fact that I found its original driver and used some of the original parts from that actual car made it that much more special. The car currently resides in the Justice Brothers Racing Museum in Duarte, CA. It sits right beside Dean’s dad, Buzz Lowe’s, full size black #93 Kurtis Kraft midget. If you find yourself in Southern California, take a short trip to Duarte and drop in for a look!

UPDATE!

In the spring of 2009 I received an e-mail and a photo from Dean. The photo was of his brother Jack’s original Kurtis quarter midget and its current owner. It had passed through many hands including a stint in Vacaville, CA. The current owner is from the Pacific northwest. Dean, his brother Jack, and the current owner plan a reunion later this summer. Unfortunately, Dean’s original “jellybean” Kurtis is still among the missing.

What a treasure trove of information about the early Quarter Midgets. As those of us who are getting "up in years" get even further up, it becomes more and more important that we share our knowledge and love of the sport with others - or else it will be gone forever...

This History section of the site means more to me than words can describe.

Thanks Randy for pitching in to keep this alive and growing. I know I pay you very handsomely, but somehow I get the feeling you do this more for the love of the sport than making all those trips to the bank ...

Nick

Well Nick..

You are possibly quite right about the love and memories of the Quarter Midgets and what the heck I'm sure any racer out there that has been in any type racing knows that the love will never go away..

Quarter midgets, stockers, sprinters, modifieds young or old can say racing will definitely get in your blood!

I think the main reason Quarter Midget racing was so much fun was due to the fact that it was at an early age in life. And youth was fun itself. Quarter midget racing just made it that much better.

Being a young racer gave you the desire and inspiration to look up to your heros that were driving the big cars and the desire was set in focus.

Quarter Midget Racing was new in the 50's thanks to Walt Disney. I'm just glad I was there to capture those days that are pleasant memories still today.

Now..

as to the big fat payrolls, you know I couldn't spend it fast enough :rolleyes:

Thanks, Nick for the wonderful comments and it's an honor to be a part of Lone Star Speedzone!

Randy,

I agree with Nick. As we all get older, it is important that we all try and preserve the early years of Quarter Midget Racing. Racing quarter midgets in Texas produced many great racers like yourself, Coggie, Debbie, Sandra, Larry, Denny, Rod Green, Mike Kidd, David Watkins, Linda Hice, Mike Ferrish, Ellis Clark, Danny Woods, Pamela, Bill and Cindy Palm, Dale and Kenneth Bragg. This is only a small list of the drivers that I looked up to and respected racing against both locally and regionally.

I know that LSS is mostly a regional deal, but it is really interesting to read the posts from all of the quarter midget racers nationally.

Thanks Nick, for having the foresight in giving Randy the medium to bring back those precious memories of our child hood. Thank you Randy, for giving us the opportunity to share those memoies.

Doug McBride..

As I have mentioned before Doug,

Your input, photos and memorabilia have done more to enhance this thread than anyone else.

I am just happy to be a part of all this and to add whatever I can to this thread that Nick has given me to moderate.

It's amazing how much feedback we have received locally and all over the country on the subject of Vintage Quarter Midgets.

Yes, it was a simpler time and also the roots of motorized midget racing for the the youthful drivers.

It was one giant leap from the "Soap Box Derby" racing!

I will always remember the 50's and 60's for what it stood for, all the friends I met and raced with, the smell of fuel and the vibration of the little engines in the seat of my pants.

We are blessed to be tagged as some of the original founding drivers of this little sport that gained so much popularity for both kids and adults alike in the early days. How I miss those days!

Although this time in life has passed us all, the memories, travels, and the thrill of racing will never go away..

I know I speak for many former Quarter Midget drivers and big league racers out there that were also a part of this new sport in it's infancy and those that went on and graduated to the big times and those that reached championship status in Open Wheel, NASCAR, and other motor sports.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. We have just begun!

From one former champion to another Doug, remember the rides!

Regards,

-Randy

Midget 85

Moderator- LSSZ

post-8338-1283831737.jpg

Doug and Randy, and others....

I agree with all the above statements. It was the greatest time of my life and I think about it all the time. Of course, the older we get the more we live in the past it seems.

Besides the excitement of the races, meeting and challenging (sometimes wrecking) new friends on and off the track the experience stays with me in my heart.

As a side-benefit, I think we all learned from a very early age the basics of driving which carries forward even to today. Simple things like how to drive out of a skid, sure it can be taught, but the way it becomes automatic is to experience it and what better way than putting a 5 year-old behind the wheel and let him have at it with others on the track. What were our parents thinking back then? - ha.

I am still sick thinking that all my photos, news clippings and other memorabilia was destroyed by hurricane Ike. Fotrunately, I can still picture all that stuff in my mind and nobody or any storm will never take that away from me.

Later,

-Bruce

# 1/4 Kurtis 500

Hey Bruce,

Matter of fact it is posted further back on the thread but, always good to see it again.

I understand that Channel 2 Television still has all the old Sunday races on microfilm in their vaults from the 50's. It would be nice to see them again.

I remember when Larry, Denny, Sandra and myself were on Kitirik on Channel 13 back in August 1960.

That was fun. :rolleyes:

-Randy

Randy,

Back in July, we posted about the Quarter Midget Museum Project that you wanted to start. I know that we all have our personal lives to live and our work consumes about 1/3 of that time.

So, I will try to help you to get the ball going.

We need to come up with a name of the project. Texas Quarter Midget Museum, National Quarter Midget Museum, what ever you think. I will will write up the articles of incorporation and submit them to make the organization a 501c3.

I will donate to the organization all of the Quarter Midget memorabilia that I have. All of the news clippings, all of the trophies, my helmet, jacket, gloves, everything. I don't have any of my old quarter midgets, but I will actively peruse old 50 and 60's racers that I know to do the same. If we decide to make it a national thing, it can be like the National Corvette Museum.

I would rather have everything that I have to be shared with all those interested in Quarter Midgets, than lost in a hurricane, flood or just sitting in some barn somewhere.

Let me know what you think.

Doug...