Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don,

The drivers of these open cock pit racers were true grit!

Had to have guts without a doubt and some paid the price.. :unsure:

One of my favorite drivers Cecil Elliot was one of them.

A few 1/4 Midget drivers weren't so lucky either. Injuries were always a concern in the world of open cock pit racing.

Thanks for sharing.

1957 Sprint Car

This was a welcome treat to my weekly Saturday night classic car shows at Niftee 50ees in Spring, TX.

The owner brought it out from Crosby, TX and everyone there gave it plenty of oooss and aaaahs!

post-3-1266850561.jpg

post-3-1266850568.jpg

post-3-1266850576.jpg

:rolleyes:

A Classic Quarter Midget is in the background..

Jim,

I believe it does if I'm not mistaken.

He's a friend of a few Classic Olds collectors. Didn't get to chat with him very long due to the busy night.

The owner is Dave McArdle

I would like to get some history on this one.

I'll do that for sure.

When I first saw it, reminded me of the Sprinter that Parnelli raced against AJ at Meyer Speedway.

I will call him to get details..

These were great race cars with style!

Awesome pics!!! Beautiful cars. Does that sprinter have an Olds engine?

That has to be an Olds. What size depends on the year.

The Olds Rocket was introduced in 1949, as the first mass-produced V8 in America.

The engine size was 303 until 1953. Bore was 3.73 inches, and Stroke was 3.3475 inches.

In 1954, when they brought out the 324. This engine had a bore increase to 3.875. Stroke remained the same.

In 1957, it grew to 371. The bore was 4.00 inches, with a stroke of 3.6875 inches. This engine was the basis for the popular J2 Golden Rocket that is so popular with Rodders.

This is the one that came with 3 2 bbl carbs with vacuum on the front and rear carbs.

In 1959, the largest first generation Rocket came out at 391 inches. It had a bore of 4.124 with the 3.6875 stroke. You could get this one through 1964.

Would be interesting to know which one that sprinter has in it. Or if it is a modified version of the above.

Answer from a reliable source below:

The sprint car was first built in 1957 in the San Fransisco area by a builder named Mattis. It was owned by Mr Maidt of Half Moon Bay, Ca. Drivers were Ted Griffith of San Fransisco, Bob Veith and Mike Johnson. Cub Barnett built the engine. Ken Holder of Concord built the roll cage in 1961 and Hank Marsh worked on the car. The car always ran in the NARC series in Northern California at tracks in Calistoga, Watsonville, and Chico. Originally the car was painted gold metalflake. It has a ’56 Pontiac V8 with (4) 97 carbs, and Vertex Mag.

Info provided by Ken Pylant

• 3 weeks later...

Don,

Great Stuff here!

I can remember when all this was happening in the racing world. What glorious days!

Thanks for the research and interesting link..

• 2 months later...

Don,

Keep the photos coming as you find them.

What great memories with the classic midgets!

Keeps the youth in us all..

-Randy :)

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Bruce Dowdy. I raced in #47 sponsered by Monterey House Mexican Food. My older brother Robert raced in #48 sponsered by La Rose Cleaners. I have enjoyed Gingerbreadman's post. I would like to add more information regarding this era. Please keep me in mind regarding these times.

post-3-1267633999.jpg

Bruce,

It's certainly been a long but short journey in many ways.

We welcome you to the forum on Quarter Midgets from the early days as we all raced against each other on one race track or another.

It certainly would have been nice to see you and Robert at the recent reunion back in November 2008.

Keep the photos coming and welcome back to the original 1/4 midget guys!

Denny Burton actually started this forum but seldom visits with his busy schedule running the big cars now days.

I sorta took over to keep the forum running and updated.

Randy