Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Nick,

We knew it would happen and our thanks to everyone for getting it done..

The photos are back and we appreciate all the hard work! ;)

-Randy

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are looking for all past quarter midget drivers (or family) that have raced at Lone Star QMA track in San Antonio (Comanche Park) for a 50 year reunion. There is a reunion planned for this friday at 6 pm at Comanche Park on Rigsby. Come meet the past driver and watch the future drivers. More information can be found at LSQMA08.com :P Hope to see you there

Reunion

Maybe Doug McBride will be at this one since he is from San Antonio

Wish I would have known sooner so I could have made plans to be there before commitments.

Shucks.. :angry:

Vintage Aluminum Kurtis Kraft 1/4 Midget!

Earlier on this thread we pointed out the all aluminum bodied Kurtis 1/4 midget that was driven by Shoji in the late 50's to early sixties.

post-8338-1243396486.jpg

Here's one that was sent to us by Jim and is up for sale.

It was known as the Kurtis 500 All Aluminum Quarter and was a serious contender in it's day

This is indeed a rare find midget! :rolleyes:

post-8338-1243394965.jpg

post-8338-1243394981.jpg

post-8338-1243395008.jpg

Mantz Midget

The Mantz Midget was very similar to the Kurtis in appearance but not as popular as the Kurtis..

post-8338-1243395544.jpg

post-8338-1243395581.jpg

Cheryl,

Thanks for dropping by the Classic 1/4 Midget forum and please feel free to insert any info you have on this subject.

I have two 50's midgets that I am working on and hopefully I will have a few photos posted soon.

They are becoming popular again as collector items.

As to the reunion, we hope to see more in the very near future. We had fun a while back although we have all changed to a degreee ..or so, it was fun.

Sandra Honea

We regret to report that former competitor Sandra Honea, driver of the number 10 Moss midget at Gulf Freeway race track recently passed away after a battle with Cancer.

Our memories will live on as we also send our sympathy to the family members of their loss.

She will be remembered as one of the first ladies to drive the popular sport of Quarter Midget racing in the 50's

post-8338-1244303675.jpg

More Quarter Midget Action

post-8338-1244873995.jpg

Where race car drivers begin learning at an early age the feel and thrill of racing!

Although minature in the adults eye.. to the pint size racer it was serious with skill developement to perhaps someday drive an OFFY..

Note the left front tire in the air with the midget in the rear.

Full Cage Protection

By the late 60's and early 70's it became mandatory for all Quarter Midgets to follow their big brother advances and provide full coverage for the drivers with full cages as shown in this photo.

As injuries, speed and safety considerations were becoming more of a concern.

Note that todays midgets require even more protection than what you see here, it was still considered as advanced safety precautions without losing the characteristics of the classic midget look of it's time.

post-8338-1244968667.jpg

Quarter Midget

Looking at this picture, it appears it was one of the very first attempts to build a "Home Made Midget" at the beginning of it's infancy in the early 50's.

Remember, many attempts to participate in the little sport was to design and build your own. That was before factory midgets were being produced in California and elsewhere.

Walt Disney actually pursued the thought of producing the little midgets after seeing one like in this picture.

It was spun off the idea of Little League Baseball, Pee Wee Football and so on.

It was fun not only for the kids but the parents as well.

This looks like one that had been in storage for years and recently found maybe in an estate sale or something.

It is truly dated as I look at the wheels and construction that was available back then.

Let's just say it was intended for 1/4 Midget racing at an early time..

I remember seeing a few like this and even raced against a few in Dallas in 1955-56

Yes, they were rather crude..but it took off to bigger and better things

Kit Racers Begin

By the mid to late 50's, kit cars were becoming available like this one..

post-8338-1245130662.jpg

Father and Son Racing Days

Here's a great example of early Quarter Midget Racing Days as father and son pose for photo..

post-8338-1245131018.jpg

It was not unusual to find dads taking over the cockpit in one of these midgets.

It was also not uncommon or unpopular to have dads drive the quarters on a Father's Day Race!

Some actually drove with one leg inside the midget and sat on the nerf bar and drove them if they were too big to fit!

Anything for a thrill..

These are great photos and it appears that this midget is a 3/4 Midget!

Those are probably more rare than the 1/4 midgets in one aspect.

Quarter Midgets, Half Midgets, and 3/4 Midgets were the road course to the Big Midgets that many went on to drive.

I can probably agree with Jim here as it being an out board engine and mounted in the front.

I see a more advanced design in the suspension as well.

In the 50's there were also "Micro Midgets" which were powered by Triump, BSA and other motorcycle engines in their day and could possibly be a motorcycle engine like a Bultaco or possibly a BSA engine.

NOTE: Amail Carbs

There used to be a dirt track near Hardy Road and Crosstimbers where they raced.

Thanks for sharing on this thread and keep all this interesting stuff coming!

We appreciate your input.. ;)

Midget85

Here's a rare shot for you!

I believe it is a 3/4 Midget.

Billie Hassell drove it around the

Cleburne, TX area in the '50s!

Enjoy!

eDirt

I'm the guy that does Soupup Magazine.

There is alot of vintage racing material in it!

http://www.soupupmagazine.com/

midget.jpg

I recall Billie saying there were alot of Midgets

in the area and made for exciting racing!

eDirt,

Thanks for the information and photo here.

I would say that midgets were very popular in the Mid-Century and the popularity is what inspired many other forums of the midgets in all sizes such as we have discussed.

Again, I see what looks to be a midget that was built from whatever parts were available and again perhaps a Micro-Midget or 3/4 !

Local race tracks also had different rules with the local organizations and didn't necessarily meet the rules of a track located in the next town. That's the way it was back then and way before any sanctions for the entry level style racing.

I remember how different the midgets I drove were different from the boys in Dallas,TX.

Just build one and do whatever you could to be a winner and move on up.

It was new, and it was the 50's so, the ground work to racing was formed..

Didn't know you were "Soupup" Magazine, how interesting as I have read many articles and enjoyed the historical facts.

Welcome aboard..send photos..

-Randy :rolleyes:

Randy

According to my notes, this was Billies first race car.

He was 16 years old. He referred to it as a 3/4 Midget.

A T/Q Midget? It used a Model T frame with an Indian Scout

motorcycle motor! Appariently there were about 8 cars

in the Cleburne area. The 1/8 mile track was located in Cleburne and

the pic was taken in the late '40s.

Don

eDirt

Edited by edirt

Don,

This is awesome feedback and a lot of history here!

Keep sending the info.

Glad you clarified the TQ Midget being what it is.

Rare find I might add..this is perhaps only a few TQ's that I have seen.

-Randy