Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Jim,

Some neat stuff here alright.

Reminds me as a kid how I kept my helment and trophies in my room to view at all times.

Gave me a sense of accomplishment..

The grilles are neat!

-Randy

Quarter Midget Adds and Literature 1950's and 60's

post-8338-1229427550.jpg

post-8338-1229427606.jpg

post-8338-1229428191.jpg

I remember getting these magazines in the mailbox at home after dad had subscribed to the publications.

It was a great way to keep up with the racing scene in Quarter Midgets..1950's..

Looking Back at the Beginning..

post-8338-1229428478.jpg

An unknown California Driver smiles as he poses with his Kurtis Kraft Midget in the 1950's

Continental Engines Deco AU7R

post-8338-1229429115.jpg

post-8338-1229429167.jpg

post-8338-1229429492.jpg

This Continental AU7R became the industry leader in Quarter Midget Racing in the late 50's and early 60's.

After market racing cams, heads, and other trick stuff was offered for these little engines to run maximum performance output..

Here are some of the parts break down to see the engines construction.

( Great Literature provided by Kenny in California )

Jim,

When your weight was only 55 to 60lbs and the midget at about 220lbs these little engines even in Modified Stock class could hurl you around the little ovals with you tongue licking your ear lobes!

The Double AA Fuel cars you'd better have your belt on tight and a firm grip on the wheel.

I actually did a number one testing one of those Double AA's at 8 years old..

Yeah,...wasn't quite ready to handle the Double AA's at that age but I will never forget the sure torque of that engine! :P

Vintage Tags

Some Quarter Midget Tracks required ID Tags to be put on the midgets as proof of Inspection Test and also to show as certified members of the club etc.

Kenny sent us another photo reflecting some of these Vintage Tags that were attached to Quarter Midgets he has found in California.

We are not sure what track these were affiliated with..

post-8338-1229882314.jpg

• 1 month later...

Vintage 1/4 Midgets across the country

I found a few more photos of vintage 1/4 Midgets from different parts of the country.

These photos reflect the many styles and variations of the builders imagination.

Quarter Midget racing was just plain fun.

Perhaps it was our age when we didn't have to worry about anything but winning!

post-8338-1233977520.jpg

post-8338-1233977860.jpg

post-8338-1233977845.jpg

Quarter Midget Indy Style

This is truly a unigue 1/4 Midget reflecting the looks and feel of a classic Indy Roadster.

A Side Winder Midget and the engine was actually mounted on the side

This would be a great restoration project!

post-8338-1233980897.jpg

post-8338-1233980887.jpg

post-8338-1233980914.jpg

From Quarter Midgets to Street Rods

I've had several emails asking about my hobbies as of today.

I have always loved race cars, midgets, street rods even motorcycles.

Here is a photo of my recent restoration of the 69' Ford Mach 1 Mustang I restored back in 2005.

It was purchased March 3, 1969 at Mort Hall Ford on Jensen Drive when I was 18. I am the only owner of this car and thought a full blown restoration was in order, and to once again enjoy the youth of my life.

Since most of my Quarter Midgets were Blue, it was no wonder to buy a Blue Mach 1. :rolleyes:

post-8338-1234061957.jpg

post-8338-1234062758.jpg

Wow!! What a great car. And one owner!! :D:D:D

O.K., I can't leave this alone. Did it come with the Magnum 500s? Have you added or taken anything away from the car? Did you consider buying a Boss car at the time? More later.....................................

Edited by jakdad

Jim,

Pretty long story behind the Mach 1.

I graduated in 69 and before graduation the new styled Mustangs were out.

Dad being a Ford man and race car fanatic spotted this Mustang on the lot so, he actually picked it out and paid $500 down on the car and said if you wanna keep it, you pay the balance. He chose the only Blue one on the lot in reference to my Quarter Midgets being blue.

I remember him saying it reminded him somewhat of Walter Ballard's Modified. I really think he bought it because he wanted it and non the less he put the first miles on it.

The car was $3558.00 drive out and came with a 351 and 4 speed. The Magnum 500's were later added. It originally came with the 14" Torino wheels which just didn't look right to me.

It has a long history and a lot of great moments that it has kept secret.

It under went a full scale rotisserie starting in 2003 and was complete after 2 hard long years and much bucks!

The car was actually restored in honor of my dad and mom who helped me get a start in life and taught me the value of paying for a new car myself. He passed away in 1992 and the car set silent for many years awaiting attention.

Finally, I just bit the nail and started bringing her back to life.

Oh yeah, I would have chosen a Boss but trying to pay for this one was about all I could handle at the time and so it has a lot of sentimental value.

Believe it or not, you could have purchased a Boss 429 fully loaded for about $5500 in 1969.

They are going as high as $250,000 today!

It is a sentimantal car and being in the family for so long it was worth keeping. It's worth about $45,000 to $55,000 on average and I wouldn't think of selling it for that today.

Didn't mean to get off on classic cars on this thread but, many wanted to know my interest today.

There are a lot of old Meyer Speedway Gear Heads who attend my shows and have gone to street rods as we mellow out some :huh:

Thanks for asking, Jim

Great story and a great choice by your Dad!

Yes I am aware of the prices in the 60s. I looked at the Boss 302s and 29s. To much for me. I now have this mental picture of your Dad in 1969 at the Ford dealer, spying a Mach I that is the right color, then looking inside to see the Top Loader. SOLD!!!

Sounds like me..............................................

It's all original with matching numbers but.. I did add a little bump stick to the engine just to hear her thumpity thump some and other than leaving the reflective stripes off for now, ( never was much on the reflector stripes ) they can always be added on.

Clean and mean is the way I like it.. :lol:

• 1 month later...

To Everyone Concerned

I am attempting to repost and add additional photos to this thread as time permits.

It will take some time to extract some of the photos that were lost during the forum changeover so, please bare with me as we try to bring back the many photos that were lost.

Stay tuned and we will have film at eleven .. I think??

Thanks for everyone's patience. :huh:

-Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Quarter Midgets of Yesterday..

The photos below reflect Bob Hamilton in the days of racing and then later his car restored by family members to his honor.

The original wheels were silver in color. The car is a Luther Daytona "Viper" midget..

post-8338-1240201441.jpg

post-8338-1240201555.jpg

By now I hope everyone has figured out that all the pics are back and in their rightful spot. It took several weeks of intense work on the part of LSS staff, but it was worth all the effort.

This is without a doubt one of the most valuable threads in ... well, anywhere!

We genuinely appreciate the trust everyone has shown as we worked through several major issues during the recent transfer of servers and software upgrades.

Nick