Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Thanks Nick. I notice my photos are way large. I am new to this. Any suggestions so my post will look like everyone else's?

As you probably have noticed, I have gone behind your posts and re-sized them to the maximum size that fits normal sized laptop screens.

It's a bit tricky, but there are several programs that have features that allow the shrinking of pictures. The one I use comes with Windows and is called "Paint." It's located under the "Accessories" tab in your "All Programs" tab in the bottom right of your Windows screen.

Nick

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use paint, but i have been saving myself time this way:

Scan your pictures and save them to a folder.

Right click on the folder, and go to "send to" , and then mail receipiant.

it will bring up a window asking if you want to resize the pics, or keep the original. Click resize, Medium.

When your email comes up with the pics already attached, email them back to yourself.

Your email to yourself will have the pics resized for ya.

I use this when I am scanning large quantities. i have emailed as many as 100 pics back to myself, and it took about 5-7 minutes. You can't do it that quick manually.

Edited by txtom

Your photos are fine, and thanks to Tom and Nick here.

I also use resizing and save between minimum 640JPG up to about 800JPG

Keep loading em up!

-Randy

Kyle,

I see the dad's must have had a Fathers Day race judging by the photos.

Thats just the way I remember it, as dads stuck one leg in and set on the left nerf bar to drive the little midgets.

The whole family got a hand in the 1/4 midget days!

Welcome Kyle,

Really great photos and keep them and the stories coming.

Randy, et al, I'm still chasing NASCAR around the country so missed out on the some of the posts....stupid me (for chasing NASCAR) as it looks like the 48 car is going to get lucky again this year, oh well. Maybe he'll get put in the fence in turn 2 at Texas like he did last fall. That's where smart azz's belong anyway, you know Randy?

Photo below is our most recent "family portrait" with me, the wife and kids.

-Bruce

post-3-1288660471.jpg

Insert - All I can say Bruce is.. the girls are beautiful!

-Randy

Edited by Midget 85

Dusty.

Welcome to Lone Star Speedzone and the Quarter Midget forum.

Judging by the photo above it looks as though you have a "Racecraft" midget here instead of a Wahlborg.

Is the tail section still with the car?

The current motor has replaced the original continental engine over the years. Looks to be a Briggs and Straton power plant.

Gear box reduction eliminated any big sprockets on the rear axle and they were required to be located inside the rear turtle hull for any competition use. ( safety factor )

Looks as though it has seen a lot of usage off the track.

Always resale value depending on the condition of the little midget and correct pieces.

Appreciate your contribution and input, photos. Keep the info coming

Tom,

Thanks for the photos!

It is indeed a Wahlborg Midget.

The uphostery is not exactly correct nor the brake handle but the person restoring the midget did a great effort.

Looks to be an early model with the "I" beam front axle and would guess a '56-57 production era.

Where did this event take place?

I think how you see it is how the owner got it, both cars.

They belong to Ronnie Burke there in Houston; he bought them earlier this year as a package deal. Think he told me they were somewhere in the Houston area.

The event was at Texas World Speedway; part of the Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing (CVAR) meet this past weekend. They invited the VTOW group to be a part of their race weekend.

Thanks Tom..

As Nick says, your awesome!

I need to find the time somehow to attend these events.

PM me sometime with contacts of the owners so we can try and bring them to one of my events here in Spring,TX.

I would be on cloud 9!

Quarter Midget from Dallas Texas

Juanita had posted this photo on a thread by itself and has since fell in the cracks.

Thought we would move it here to include our main story book..

post-8338-1289352714.jpg

This 1/4 midget looks like the same style that David Tennison drove in Houston

• 1 month later...

More Memories

Bruce sends us additional memories from the past.

Below are a few programs and fact sheets on the Kurtis Kraft Midget price sheet and literature on the Race Craft

Also note the program from Dallas!

Finally, a personal invite to the Liberty track from Jack Bouslog

post-8338-1291983752.jpg

post-8338-1291983741.jpg

post-8338-1291983784.jpg

post-8338-1291983801.jpg

post-8338-1291985107.jpg

post-8338-1291985123.jpg

post-8338-1291983826.jpg

Material furnished by Bruce Boening

Thanks Bruce!

Tom,

Thanks for the photos!

It is indeed a Wahlborg Midget.

The uphostery is not exactly correct nor the brake handle but the person restoring the midget did a great effort.

Looks to be an early model with the "I" beam front axle and would guess a '56-57 production era.

Where did this event take place?

As soon as Ronnie is through restoring his Fathers track roadster he will tear both of these cars down for complete rebuilds.

Randy,

Thanks for posting those items... I appreciate it.

Didn't notice until after I emailed you that you were listed as a member of the Dallas QMA, Car #76?

-Bruce

Edited by BruceBoening

Well..

Raced in Dallas in 1956 and part of 57 since there were no tracks in Houston at the beginning of my career.

Soon afterward, Gulfgate track opened in Houston and we started racing there.

Amazing, I didn't see that either..

Midget 76 was under construction when that was printed but it never raced in Dallas. Only the number 7 midget.

Thanks for the info archives Bruce.

This is off topic for this forum but just noticed that Houston Raceway Park has changed their name to Royal Purple Raceway.

Money talks I guess.

http://www.royalpurpleraceway.com/

Edited by BruceBoening

Just tooting my own horn....

Found this on the back page of the Freeway Quarter Midget Racing News of 11/9/1958.

Unlike Randy's front page write-up, I only got a single, 4" column on the back page. I also included the adjacent column showing I didn't even qualify a time the previous week. Good grief.

post-12046-1292441231.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quarter Midget veterans:

The following is from the Mac O Chee QM club web page. (http://www.macochee.org/) Several of you have asked how you can support the club. In addition to the business sponsorships, individual support memberships are now available and I have highlighted these below. I hope you will consider this and I hope to see you all this July 30 at the annual Hall of Fame events. Your donation goes to the Club to help maintain the facility as stated below. for today’s drivers. Print this out, fill it out, and send your check to Tammy. Please pass this on to anyone who may be interested. This is the way we “oldtimers” can help keep this great sport healthy. Thanks!

Doug Plank

We would like to thank you for your interest in supporting the Mac-O-Chee Quarter Midget Racing Association.

Sponsorships for our 2011 USAC Racing Season

 $500 Class Sponsorships includes:

o Your organization’s name on trophies for the top 3 finishers for all weekly races;

o Announcements of your organization throughout the day as the class is on the track and listed in press releases;

o Your organization will be featured on our MOC website with the sponsored class and we will link to your organization’s website if desired;

 $300 Sign Sponsorship includes:

o Your logo & key information displayed on 3’ X 5’ permanent board on tower

o Your organization will be featured on our MOC website and we will link to your organization’s website if desired

 $175 Midwest Thunder Series Event Class Trophy Sponsorship

o Your organization’s name on trophies for the top 3 finishers for our Bob Nock Memorial Race

o Announcements of your organization throughout the day as the class is on the track and listed in press releases

o Your organization will be featured on our MOC website with the sponsored class and we will link to your organization’s website if desired

 $750 Combination of Class/Sign/Midwest Thunder Series Sponsorships

o All the above applies with a reduced price for supporting Mac-O-Chee QMRA

2011 Annual Support Membership

We offer an Honorary Membership to the Mac-O-Chee Club with a donation as an Annual Support Member.

 $25 Fast Qualifier Level Support

 $50 Feature Winner Level Support

 $75 Track Record Holder Level Support

 $100-$499 Club Champion Level Support

 $500-$999 Regional Champion Level Support

 $1,000 +National Champion Level Support

Annual Support Membership includes: a specialized membership card, your name on a list of annual supporters and you will be included in e-mail updates on club activities. Your donation will go specifically to special projects that are beyond our yearly budget, which currently includes: a permanent canopy for the children in the staging lanes; improved scale system and tech area; updated fencing and soft-wall system for improved safety for the drivers.

Due to insurance requirements of our sanctioning body, this honorary membership is solely in support of MOCQMRA and does NOT include voting rights on issues related to the sanctioning body or general club business or provide access to restricted areas that require membership in the sanctioning organization.

Name____________________________________________________________________________

_

Address ___________________________________________________________________________

City ___________________________________ State______________________ Zip _____________

Phone _____________________________________________________________________________

E-mail _____________________________________________________________________________

Please fill out and send to:

Mac-O-Chee Secretary

c/o Tammy Porter

4812 Lehigh Drive

Springfield, OH 45503

Make Checks Payable to: MOCQMRA

More memories of fun days..

Thanks to Doug Plank from South Carolina for the photos!

post-8338-1296094817.jpg

post-8338-1296094807.jpg

post-8338-1296094799.jpg

post-8338-1296094787.jpg

post-8338-1296094778.jpg

post-8338-1296094850.jpg

post-8338-1296094858.jpg

Dig that 57 Ford Fairlane. Fits right in with the time era..