Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WELCOME WEST COAST FANS!

Kenny,

First of all, welcome to this TXSZ Forum and welcome also to Texas!

We love to hear from fellow racing fans and of course this subject of Quarter Midget racers of the 50's and 60's.

We really appreciate the photos you have provided along with the information you have shared with us.

I can certainly help you with loading addition photos to this site. It has become addicting to see all the history of these little race cars and even more with info coming in from other parts of the country.

We first met Lon several months back and the welcome mat is also extended to you for your input to this forum.

We look forward to seeing additional info from the West Coast Quarter Midgets.

Thanks again for your history with these little cars and also sharing the full size midget as well!

The #14 Midget is AWESOME!

-Randy

TXSZ Moderator B)

post-10164-1228533510_thumb.jpg

Doug, I have owned the 58 Corvette since 1977 (my high school car) I paid $2,000. for it and it was my first attempt at fixing up an old car, and my dad bought the 63 coupe in 1974 for $1,150. , I bought it from him about 7 years ago, it is in the same condition as the day he bought it (needs paint) and I drive it quite often. Thanks!

Randy (midget 85)

Thank you for the nice welcome!

I'm sorry about the off topic post with the Corvettes, but that is what started me into collecting. The fact is, I scrounge yard sales and local swap meets for this stuff and I always ask people if they have, or know where any cheap old racing junk is.

Back in 1978, I was trying to find some parts the Corvette was missing and I saw an ad for a swap meet in Pomona Ca., my dad and I drove the 4 hours to get there and I was amazed at some of the cool stuff for sale.

That jacked up my mind at an early age and gave me an appreation for automobilia, so I have slowly been buying stuff for the last 30 years. I only mentioned the prices because I don't want people to think I'm some rich guy! I am a simple tire salesman and could never afford to pay full bore for anything!

I have been out of touch with this stuff for about the last 5 years because my two daughters have been racing quarter midgets (a great sport I would have never considered if I did not know about it's awesome history). They did extreamly well and our family had a wonderful time. I really reccomend it to everyone with kids.

My oldest daughter (14 year old) grew out of her cars this year, so we decided to quit racing for a short time and get back into going to some car shows and swap meets again...well, they both have the hot rod vision now and we have started building their cars.

We are building Shelby (14) a 1930 model A coupe on 32 rails, and Jennifer (11) has a 1929 Model A roadster that we will tackle next. Anyway..back to our topic, whenever I find an old quarter midget, I always ask if they have their helmet, jacket and any trophies or pictures and I have been given quite a few items.

Here are a few things that I have set aside....

post-10164-1228535983_thumb.jpg

post-10164-1228535996_thumb.jpg

post-10164-1228536032_thumb.jpg

post-10164-1228536045_thumb.jpg

CLIMBING THE WALLS..

Kenny,

You have us climbing the walls down in Texas with these photos.

My HAT is off to you for collecting this wonderful momorbilia and bringing back such memories of our youth!

Look at those Engines, SOLT Gear Boxes, Finned Heads, Amal Carbs and a ton of other GREAT Stuff!

It's like a Gold Mine!

No apologies needed for the Vettes postings. Matter of fact I host weekly Classic Car Shows in Spring, TX and have become a Full Blown Street Rodder myself these days.

Good luck with the Street Rods!

Keep the photos coming! :D

-Randy

MIDGETS and SPRINTS LINK..

Lon,

Thanks for the link above!

The epidemic keeps spreading doesn't it..??

I love the looks of the Mid Century Midgets and Sprinters and you could actually see the drivers tugging at the steering wheels!

I would have to say the drivers also respected each other a little more in those days since the added cage protection was simply not there..

You just didn't mess with tapping wheels with the open wheelers! :blink:

Precise driving was a must to avoid the barrel rolls and possible dangerous situations.

Lon,

Finish the 1/4 Midget first so we can see it..

Then move on to the biguns..

Is there an end to all this stuff ?? :lol:

Quarter Midget Program / Garland Nationals / Dallas TX. 1962

Here's another piece of history reflecting back on the Garland Nationals just outside of Dallas,TX.

The front page of the program reflects a "Daytona Viper" Quarter Midget.

post-8338-1228783122_thumb.jpg

Yeah.. The track was named DoughNut Derby Speedway!

post-8338-1228784627_thumb.jpg

Archives Courtesy of Doug McBride

California Quarter Midget Scenes

Kenny sends us several mid century shots of Quarter Midget Racing in California.

We will be posting them as we move along with this thread and our thanks to Kenny for sharing these photos with all of us.

After editing, we will have them posted

-Randy

What about a 1/18 Scale Wahlborg Midget? :huh:

post-8338-1229055150.jpg

Kenny sends us this photo of a model Wahlborg that was used for salesmen to show prospective dealerships what the Wahlborg Midget could do in generating sales for young racers and their dad's in the 50's!

Wow!

I want one of those.. can I dad??

THIS IS A REAL RARE PIECE AND THE FIRST ONE I HAVE SEEN!

post-8338-1229054717.jpg

California Quarter Midget Driver - Wahlborg Midget

post-8338-1229057266.jpg

Driver Unknown - Circa 1957

In the Beginning..let there be Quarter Midgets!

post-8338-1229057848.jpg

A couple of California Drivers weighing the odds..

The 50's Trophy Queens give an added desire to win!

"" Wish They All Could Be California..Girls ""

Beach Boys - 1965

:rolleyes:

Proud Drivers With Awards / California Style - 1957

post-8338-1229058574.jpg

After winning..it is always great to speak to the crowd.

post-8338-1229058900.jpg

A scene well too Familiar in the mid 50's

post-8338-1229132849.jpg[

Striped shirts, leather strap helments, a warm California day with racing on the minds.

Line Up Of California Quarter Midgets

post-8338-1229132182.jpg

The first two midgets in front are "Racecraft" Midgets"

In the background are several "Wahlborg Midgets" and a "Moss"

Number 76 is an unknown model as to Identity...possibly a "King Size Wahlborg" based on the photo..although the tail

section appears to be a little different..

Seems I remember this Body Style in Texas and it was an Off Brand Midget If I recall correctly..trouble remembering the name however. I only remember two of them ..

-Randy

Johnny Racer ..Ready To Go

post-8338-1229149264.jpg

post-8338-1229149469.jpg

post-8338-1229149327.jpg

The Wahlborg Midget pictured in the photo above and on the left of the photo looks very simular to Lon's Quarter Midget posted on this forum in previous pictures.

Look at the Flames on the front of the Midget

The center photo reflects all attention to the Drivers Meeting

( All California Photos courtesy of Kenny from California )