Meyer Speedway Pics 2

Trotter1t

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
post-3-1309441697.jpg

Does anyone know who was driving this car, and possibly when this happened - Mack's photo

I talked to Dad (Red Garner) about this picture and he said this is a car he built for Bill Brahear. I saw clint Ballard in Michigan several years ago and he said he has the same picture along with a couple of others and that his Dad Walter Ballard drove this car in the picture. Hope this helps.

OK guys,

Back to the photo of the 58 modified above.

The photo was shot in 67 and Barcelona was driving this car the night of the mishap.

Ballard was driving his own modified 48 Ford green number 5 in 1967 and 68.

After the damaged 58 in the above photo I don't recall seeing it again. I am most certain it was scrapped after the incident above.

Ballard might have driven this car as well in 66 but to my knowledge never being in a mishap.

In 1968 a new modified was built from a 59 Ford skinned body built at Bills shop in which Larry Schild would drive for the opening season. An orange number 8.

I watched as the car was being built at Bill's used car lot shop on Homestead Rd.

Refer back to earlier postings on one of the threads with Meyer Speedway. We are repeating our postings here and there and everywhere it appears.

I could be wrong but I am almost sure this is the same accident as I recall Chumley doing a little nudging on the rear bumper to catch Tony on the last lap and things got ugly..

The car was still on the trailer the next week at Bill's shop and was still messed up..

That's what I remember along with the discussion with Bill on what happened.

Hi guys, I'm still alive. My wife has been in and out (currently back in) of the hospital for the past month, so I've hardly been home at all. I haven't forgotten you and hope to get her back

home and get back into posting again soon, wish me and her luck! Tommyo

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to this site in awhile. A bunch of neat new photos since my last visit.

TOMMYO, hope your wife is doing better and home from the hospital. When you get back to a normal routine again I would like to request some LIberty Bell 300 Photos from the 70's, especially if you have any of a #30 Sprint Car/Supermodfied with Mobile Al. on the wing driven by both Bill Roynon of Tampa, Fl and Royce Whitlock of West Monroe, La. Sure wish you would have traveled around with the Supers back in the 70's, it would have been great to have all of that documented in pictures.

BRYON, you must have traveled around with the Houston Modified Club back then? Some great memories I have as a kid being part of it. My dad owned the Red #30 Sprint Car out of Mobile, Alabama if it rings any bells.

Hello Rocketracer and all others, I've been lazy lately, the heat and going back to work

after almost two years layed off. Yes I do know your dad Johnny and I have always had

great respect for him and watched his #30 car run here at Meyer Speedway and at Jackson

and Mobile. I raced supers from around 1975/76 to about thier last days. I usually ran a

green sprint bodied car.

OK guys, my wife is officially out of the hospital and I'm now officially retired - sorry PAPA, I had to do it! - and hopefully I can get back to posting soon. Today is 7 weeks since she first went into the hospital, three different times since then, hopefully this is finally over - will be "seeing" you all soon!!

I believe the #53 in question was Len Coursey's red/orange (as I remember) '55 Chevy Bronco Class Stock Car from '66, and possibly '67. The late Bob Godbey actually drove a white #7, also a '55 Chevy, in the Bronco Class in '66, and in '67, I believe, is when he raced the #77 Bronco Class Stock Car. But, I recall that #77 Car to be a '56 Chevy, and red & black in color. I know the #7 Car from '66 can be seen in the video clip from the filmed events on 9/25/'66. There just doesn't appear to be many posted pictures from '67 of the Bronco Class Cars. Just trying to help you out Tommyo. :huh:

Larry,

Remember the late Bubba Nolan drove the #77 Bronco 55 Chevy in 1967-68 Blue and White with the Gold 77 on the doors.

Randy,

I know it's been a long time, and I remember Bubba Nolan and his #77 Bronco Stock Car in '68, but I do believe it was Bob Godbey racing the number 77 in '67. Not absolutely sure, but I believe so. And, the only connection would be the same painted on number and both '56 Chevys.

I believe the #53 in question was Len Coursey's red/orange (as I remember) '55 Chevy Bronco Class Stock Car from '66, and possibly '67. The late Bob Godbey actually drove a white #7, also a '55 Chevy, in the Bronco Class in '66, and in '67, I believe, is when he raced the #77 Bronco Class Stock Car. But, I recall that #77 Car to be a '56 Chevy, and red & black in color. I know the #7 Car from '66 can be seen in the video clip from the filmed events on 9/25/'66. There just doesn't appear to be many posted pictures from '67 of the Bronco Class Cars. Just trying to help you out Tommyo. :huh:

I remember Len. He lived on W43d and his Bronco was usually parked in his driveway. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys, I was just looking for photos to scan for posting and I came across this interesting mystery...

post-3-1314647593.jpg

Here's Roy Epperson in his 1957 Chevrolet Late Model from 1971...

post-3-1314647600.jpg

...and here's Rick Henson's 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Late Model from 1971...

Am I seeing double or do they have the same "crew member?" Any idea who he may be, obviously was a pretty busy guy!!

Archived