Meyer Speedway Pics 2

Trotter1t

Jim,

Correct me if I am wrong but I recall Larry driving the number 2 Bronco..Red ..White and Blue with a Gold Number 2 - 1967

It is sad to hear about Jerry Schild..

Our thoughts with family and friends

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meyer Spdwy/Houston '70. For proper perspective, note that the speedway infield X portion of the Crazy-8 track was also used as an extended pit road. In this picture, the speedway turn 1, and infield area, is behind the camerman. As the norm, depending on their pit area, drivers/cars would exit the speedway/back straightaway onto the 1st or 2nd paved pit entrance/Crazy-8 turn. After the heat race, Car # 5 had exited from the back straightaway and the driver was attempting to return to the pit spot on the front straightaway near the end of the straightaway pit road. The # 5 Car was followed by a Dodge, I believe the # 51 Car. But, I'm not sure about the car number. To avoid other traffic, possibly pedestrian, the # 5 Car had to stop, and the engine shut off. While the # 5 Car driver was trying to restart the engine, and still buckled in with helmet on, the driver of the following car (51?), with helmet on, got out of his car and went to the driver's door window of the # 5 Car and grabbed that driver, possibly with a headlock. Momentarily, crewmembers, associates, and co-owners of the # 5 Car arrived on the scene and possibly persuaded the other driver to release their driver. While the other driver, with helmet "removed", was either walking away or going to talk to someone else, the # 5 Car driver had unbuckled and gotten out of his car to be part of the discussion. As seen, feeling the discussion is/should be over, the # 5 Car driver is being restrained by crew and associates. Possibly, the following driver had felt that the # 5 driver had purposely stopped, as some sort of gesture, but that was not the case. Aside from that, the # 5 crew was surprised by the event, and was convinced of an over reaction on the part of the other driver. Whether a sport, or a way of life, auto racing tends to be emotional, and has been for over 50 years that I have seen.

• 2 weeks later...
Meyer Spdwy/Houston '70. For proper perspective, note that the speedway infield X portion of the Crazy-8 track was also used as an extended pit road. In this picture, the speedway turn 1, and infield area, is behind the camerman. As the norm, depending on their pit area, drivers/cars would exit the speedway/back straightaway onto the 1st or 2nd paved pit entrance/Crazy-8 turn. After the heat race, Car # 5 had exited from the back straightaway and the driver was attempting to return to the pit spot on the front straightaway near the end of the straightaway pit road. The # 5 Car was followed by a Dodge, I believe the # 51 Car. But, I'm not sure about the car number. To avoid other traffic, possibly pedestrian, the # 5 Car had to stop, and the engine shut off. While the # 5 Car driver was trying to restart the engine, and still buckled in with helmet on, the driver of the following car (51?), with helmet on, got out of his car and went to the driver's door window of the # 5 Car and grabbed that driver, possibly with a headlock. Momentarily, crewmembers, associates, and co-owners of the # 5 Car arrived on the scene and possibly persuaded the other driver to release their driver. While the other driver, with helmet "removed", was either walking away or going to talk to someone else, the # 5 Car driver had unbuckled and gotten out of his car to be part of the discussion. As seen, feeling the discussion is/should be over, the # 5 Car driver is being restrained by crew and associates. Possibly, the following driver had felt that the # 5 driver had purposely stopped, as some sort of gesture, but that was not the case. Aside from that, the # 5 crew was surprised by the event, and was convinced of an over reaction on the part of the other driver. Whether a sport, or a way of life, auto racing tends to be emotional, and has been for over 50 years that I have seen.

the driver walking away is me leroy farmer. two sides to every story. the car # was 13

• 2 weeks later...

the driver walking away is me leroy farmer. two sides to every story. the car # was 13

Aside from incorrectly identifying the car number, I stick by the "rest of the story". And yes, walking away is Leroy Farmer. The other driver is the late Tracy Trotter.

Archived