Meyer Speedway Pics 2

Trotter1t

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<_<

Before my poor finger gets tired I want to add this. It is going to really mess with your minds.

The picture of the #41 Jess Tolbert, this is the car he was driving in 1965 (and possibly

before), it's red and powered by a 409 Chevy, it's owned by Bill Jackson and Billy Joe

Weleczk(sic). Jess Tolbert was known as the "Bronc Rider" because of his bronco rodeo

riding days. At the beginning of the 1966 season Tolbert is driving the new #41, now a 1938

Chevy coupe bodied car painted red and white, but an opposite scheme than the #1 car

and still owned by Jackson and Weleczk. There is no car #9 listed at the beginning of the

season. Jim Short is listed as the owner/driver of the blue #22 a 1938 Chevy coupe bodied

car. If you look at the #9 Jimmy Willis car you can barely make out W.J. Weleczk to the

right of the nine. At the end of the 66 season I believe the #41 was renumbered to the #9 and

and now being driven by Billy Perran. Tolbert is now driving the blue #22. From 1967 to

the end of the 1969 season Weleczk owned the #9 and it was painted solid white and driven

by Bill White, Weleczk, Phillip Gregorik(sic) and probably others. Tolbert drove a new #22

in 1967 that was cut down almost as small as the #39 of Jr. Norman, but it was wrecked

early in the season and never returned, Tolbert was injured in the crash.

Now a question for ya'll, does anyone remember a modified crash that happened in the

middle of the backstrait, it involved at least two cars. One may have rolled, when the

wrecker raised one of the cars by the front end the engine and transmission stayed on

the ground. The engine and tranny were removed by a seperate wrecker. This was the only

time I remember an engine coming out in a wreck. Now I don't remember which cars were

involved and whether it was 1966 or 67, but when I saw the picture of the red and white

#9 I thought that it could have been the car that lost it's engine. Can anyone add to this.

thanks; Byron

You are so right!! I was there too. The #9 car was owned by Billy Joe Wleczyk from West Columbia.

Earlier that night, Bill White who was driving for Burl Macon/ Murray Kelley was involved in an incident. He was in the running for the driver points so Billy Joe let him drive his car. That was the fastest that the car had gone in a while until it was dismembered. According to the announcer, Billy Joe was going to have last rites for the CAR after the race at a local beer joint.

OK - This week's (Belated) Post: Some 1972 Hobbies...

First Owner/Driver Vernon Schroeder, then Eddie Vogt...

post-12610-1301533400.jpg

post-12610-1301533409.jpg

post-12610-1301533418.jpg

post-12610-1301533427.jpg

post-12610-1301533436.jpg

post-12610-1301533447.jpg

The 4 color photos are all from April 29, 1972, the others are undated

post-12610-1301533456.jpg

post-12610-1301533464.jpg

post-12610-1301533473.jpg

post-12610-1301533481.jpg

post-12610-1301533490.jpg

The accident is from April 29, 1972, the others are undated - The car was owned by Tommy Thompson

I have several additional photos of both drivers and their cars, if anyone is interested...

• 4 weeks later...

OK, first post in several weeks, really gotten lazy here! Here's some odds & ends. Leroy Farmer's '67 Dodge Charger, 1970, 1971 and 1972, different numbers and different

looks each year. And someting for RETrott too. Tracy's #5, three photos from 1970.

post-12610-1303757828.jpg

Leroy Farmer Dodge - 1970 #13

post-12610-1303757834.jpg

Leroy Farmer Dodge - `1971 #1

post-12610-1303757844.jpg

Leroy Farmer Dodge - 1972 #81, with a win - previously posted photo

post-12610-1303757852.jpg

Tracy spinning in turn 2, 1970

post-12610-1303757859.jpg

Tracy Ontrack, 1970 - previoiusly postedphoto

post-12610-1303757866.jpg

A bad night for Tracy - August 1, 1970

Tommy,

Regarding the photos of the #5 LMS, I have no memory of the turn 2 spin, but the crash damage appears to be the results of getting a little "too close" to the George England Chevelle during the NASCAR LMS National 200. The date indicates that event, that may have been aka the Permatex 200. :huh:

The photo above was 1967 with Tony Barcelona the driver.

This mishap occurred during a 50 lap modified feature race when Ronnie Chumley shoved a bumper to the 58 modified here in turn 3. It was the last lap and Chumley gave a little nudge which sent Barcelona into a spin and into the wall where he ended up.

I was later told that Tony lost a brake line as Bill recalled and the little nudge from Chumley just added to the escapade

The car was Blue and White with a Red 58 painted on the skins.

This photo has been posted before

Randy,

Do you recall if that was a special event, possibly Memorial Day? You mentioned a 50 Lap Feature, and I believe, although rained out and rescheduled, the '67 Memorial Day feature races were 50 lap events. :unsure:

Larry,

I could be wrong and it could have been a 35 lapper instead of a 50.

Non the less it seems it was in the Spring and a long race.

Randy

post-12610-1304022687.jpg

Just took this pic off the Texas Open Wheel post - don't recall ever seeing it on this site, so here it is - Billy Wade at Meyer Speedway in the deuce that Bill White would later drive . Car built by Danny Burke and Tony Foyt - Jimmy McKinney in the other car . This was when the car was NEW, and look at the Pit Wall! Not a dent or a scratch on it, the wall is still painted silver and you can see it all the way around turns 3 & 4! The pavement is even new! And to think, it isn't even there anymore! I've seen pictures of Bill White in this car when it had a full rollcage on it, minus the hood and the deuce-grill, but look how pristine the car is in roadster configuration! Great Picture!

Tommy,

The way I remember it, the Roadsters raced at Meyer Spdwy in the Spring/Summer of '60 on Thursday nights. I did not attend any of the events, as I was lucky to make a few weekend races at Playland Spdwy in those days. But, I believe the "Roadsters" included some of the Modifieds from Playland that could become topless for the occasion. :ph34r:

RE:Post 307/Bottom Photo

Pictured by the RR of the crash damaged #5 LMS, is Larry Wyatt. A very good mechanic, and a very, very good person who worked tirelessly on several race cars as a volunteer to help other would be racers. ;)

Tommy,

The way I remember it, the Roadsters raced at Meyer Spdwy in the Spring/Summer of '60 on Thursday nights. I did not attend any of the events, as I was lucky to make a few weekend races at Playland Spdwy in those days. But, I believe the "Roadsters" included some of the Modifieds from Playland that could become topless for the occasion. :ph34r:

That was all definately "before my time!" I just can't get over how new the track and everything looks in that photo - even when I started attending races regularly in 1963, the pit wall

was already beat-up and rusty! These old photos are priceless, and I just wish more people were active in this and other similar websites - the photos are out there, if we can just

get them posted for everyone to see!

The pictured crash damaged #5 LMS pretty well retired him from racing until he put together a Bomber Class Stock Car to run at Battleground Spdwy/Highlands in '84. In '85, he raced a Super Stock/Sportsman Stock Car the last 1/2 season. After a couple of weeks racing at Battleground Spdwy, the DW Burton constructed car was converted to race in the Super Stock Class on the paved San Antonio Spdwy, and finished up there. The ownership/sponsorship direction took a hard right in '86, and well, uh... :rolleyes:

Randy,

Do you recall if that was a special event, possibly Memorial Day? You mentioned a 50 Lap Feature, and I believe, although rained out and rescheduled, the '67 Memorial Day feature races were 50 lap events. :unsure:

Larry,

I could be wrong and it could have been a 35 lapper instead of a 50.

Non the less it seems it was in the Spring and a long race.

Randy

Or it could have been a 50 lapper on a different weekend, I was just curious if it was the Memorial Day event. In that time frame, the Bronco class usually had my attention, and a lot of Modified activity went unnoticed. Now, as I read these posts, I'm finding out a little about what I missed. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm back from the dead, temporarily at least - here's a few pictures of the June 23, 1971 Space City 300

post-12610-1305315652.jpg

James Hylton ready to go on-track - James started last (14th) and finished 2nd

post-12610-1305315632.jpg

Houston's own Walter Ballard ontrack - Walter started 11th and finished 3rd

post-12610-1305315613.jpg

Richard Petty ontrack in this low-contrast photo - obviously something in my totally manual camera wasn't set properly!

post-12610-1305315606.jpg

Charlie Roberts ontrack - he started 8th and finished 9th

post-12610-1305315598.jpg

The car belongs to H.B. Bailey, but on that evening it was driven by Frank Warren, who started and finished 5th

post-12610-1305315584.jpg

Eventual winner Bobby Allison entering turn 3

post-12610-1305315576.jpg

King Richard on the front stretch!

post-12610-1305315569.jpg

Our own Ronnie Chumley heading out

post-12610-1305315560.jpg

James Hylton ontrack - the stands don't appear overly full, but it was still early here

post-12610-1305315553.jpg

Ronnie Chumley coming at me - note the "sticker" tires!

post-12610-1305315544.jpg

To the victor go the spoils - Bobby Allison receiving his trophy from promoter Ed Hamblin

I was able to get these done today because I went to work this morning and just didn't feel like being there - the first time I've taken

off early in over 3 years - I hope they can get over it, because I've sure enjoyed doing nothing this afternoon - see ya'll later!!

Those grandstands were well packed before race time. I believe the #24 Car is actually Cecil Gordon, and the #36 Car was "started" by Frank Warren for the driver points, but was relieved by HB Bailey during pace laps. That Pontiac GTO looks stretched, because the body was mounted on a 4 door, and longer, frame to meet minimum wheel base requirements. If the 00 was legal, it should have been stretched as well. ;) If not, I'm sure it was overlooked due to a low car count. In '71, the oldest GN/Cup Car would be a '69, and the newest LMS was a '68. But, being very similiar cars, a '68 Chevelle could easily become a '69. I recall Ronnie Chumley being in the Space City 300, but I just don't have any recall regarding the car he drove.:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Post #314

Pictured from 1960 at Meyer Speedway, the famous #2 Roadster Modified driven by Billy Wade has a lot of history, but I wonder if there is any available information regarding the other Roadster Modified with the driver id'd as Jimmy McKinney. Appears to be a pretty clean car, possibly #76. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived