Welcome Back HMP

rails

In virtually all the "upper" short track divisions these days the suspension utilizes very soft springs and employs shocks that have an extremely high rebound rate. Basically, this allows the front end to run very close to the pavement the whole way around since the springs are not strong enough to push the weight of the car up past the resistance created by the high rebound rates of the shocks.  

There are several advantages to keeping the front end glued to the track as you might imagine. Just set the front-end geometry for the toughest turn and drive thought the rest of the track.  The suspension does not go through much travel and the geometry stays constant as a result. Also, you can take advantage of the air flow to produce downforce when there is little, or no, air flowing under the car. 

The tech pad problem is that none of the cars running this setup are able to pass the four-inch clearance rule after the race since the front end takes a while to overcome the shocks and bring the car back to its original ride height.

The other problem is that a set of these tie-down shocks usually costs more than the winner's purse!  Go figure.

Nick, what is the chances of the top 3 being DQ'ed under this rule? Seems like they may have been team cars? I know that Luza had them covered up in the 5 car. But the win went to Clayton Green who crossed the line in 4th. 

Arob, i'm not sure where they would post the winners. Maybe on there facebook page? They did have a big crowd, that was nice to see. 

31 minutes ago, NickHolt said:

In virtually all the "upper" short track divisions these days the suspension utilizes very soft springs and employs shocks that have an extremely high rebound rate. Basically, this allows the front end to run very close to the pavement the whole way around since the springs are not strong enough to push the weight of the car up past the resistance created by the high rebound rates of the shocks.  

There are several advantages to keeping the front end glued to the track as you might imagine. Just set the front-end geometry for the toughest turn and drive thought the rest of the track.  The suspension does not go through much travel and the geometry stays constant as a result. Also, you can take advantage of the air flow to produce downforce when there is little, or no, air flowing under the car. 

The tech pad problem is that none of the cars running this setup are able to pass the four-inch clearance rule after the race since the front end takes a while to overcome the shocks and bring the car back to its original ride height.

The other problem is that a set of these tie-down shocks usually costs more than the winner's purse!  Go figure.

Obviously I was there just trying to have my own fun and race, but I talked to some the guys about this after.

I'm new but am staying in my lane on helping, but would love to hear your input on this.  You can post here and DM me too, whatever.  I know you're fair and want this to succeed too.  I don't have the experience to understand, yet, how much time normally is between rolling off track and them coming back up and didn't know what the variables here were.  I did get some feedback on some things that left room for improvement, but I'm also just trying to stay in my lane on the back end, which is not tech and stuff.

I haven't talked to John or anyone as I'm sure he's had that conversation a thousand times and 2 business hours after the event its absolutely something that is still going to be very fluid.

I posted a long write up I'll copy paste here too, if anyone's interested in my weekend summary as an outsider coming in first time.

Posted from My Facebook Page:

"First race, done ✔️

Southern Premier Racing Series kicked off their Fall Shootout Series at Houston Motorsports Park . Short summary, 0 laps before the racing action, avoided trouble and wound up 6th with about 20 trucks starting. My Dad decided to hold off running his truck this weekend. The full breakdown for the most part is below.
Please support those who support us if you can!

For those wanting the full breakdown, here we go. As most of you know, bought Charles Evans Jr.'s old #58 truck from back in the day at HMP. It had been sitting for a bit, and CJE Performance did some updates on it. I've got to drive it a few times at practice on some old tires, but no races at all. We practiced last Friday at the open test put on by SPRS before, but couldn't get our tires as we were running around and the tire barn was intermittently open, and ran the old ones. Race day we got our tires mounted, missing first practice doing that. The series did a great job procuring every American Racer tire available and we were able to get some tire sizes we thought would work. The truck has never been ran on the American Racer Tires, previously it was a Hoosier that was pretty different. Second practice, well, I'll be printing out a schedule and taping it in the trailer next time so we don't mis-read the online flyer like we apparently did this time. First event, we're there to have a good time and figure this out, it happens.

Thankfully there was a heat race, and everyone would transfer. We approached this as a throw-away race and a practice with other cars on track. As I went out for the heat race, started to turn the wheel and put some heat in the tires. As soon as I do this, my wiring harness for my radio splits in half, and no radio. Pulled the handset out, told my spotter to let race control know to point that black flag at me and I'll park it, or I'll just ride out back.
So as we're rolling out, I have no radio, no spotter, and have no clue what this thing is going to handle like. We guessed at tire pressures based on feedback from friends we've made, but had no clue how much they were going to expand once hot. Elected to just ride around in the heat, while also being super annoyed that I broke my radio harness, but again, first event, new truck, etc. Again, everyone transferred, I've never driven this on new tires, tire pressures are a science project, we just rode, no sense in tearing anything up for a race that literally, does not matter in any way at all. I decided to run top and bottom and see if there was a grip difference since the 40-lap feature would have near 20 trucks, so surely some side by side will happen. Again, just feel it out, no need to press the issue at all, and if something happens that I can't really see, I don't have a radio to let me know to give it some space.

So we get back to the pits, tire pressures are crazy high as expected even after rolling slowly down pit lane, through the pits, etc etc etc. Get the radio sorted, eat some $1 Hot Dogs from the concession stand, rehydrate, etc. Found out my Dad elected not to run his truck yet as the setup in it was pretty off. I took some laps in it the Friday before and while these trucks make less horsepower than a Ford Explorer ST, they really need to put that power down. A few laps in his truck, and it would just not put the little bit of power these things make down, at all. Hopefully we can get a test day before next event, bring all the springs and shocks and get that thing where it works, because right now the setup in the rear end is just off. Anyways, In the feature, we'd line up and start dead last since we rode around in the back of the heat race. Which is fine, it's 40 laps long, that's plenty of time to sort stuff out without racing like an idiot, tearing up people's stuff, etc. 40 laps may or may not sound like a lot, but that's 80 different times going through the cornered ends of the track, and 160 opportunities to outbrake someone into the corner, or get on the gas quicker than them, or just wait on them to make a mistake. Plenty of time to get to where you're probably going to be without tearing things up.

Well, at least as someone new to this, that's what I thought would be somewhat logical, and a majority of my fellow in class racers seemed to think as well.

Once the green flag dropped, started moving around, saw some guys who I'd met and knew who they were and had seen some videos, so it was a blast racing them as I could trust them. I'm new, so 90% of the field I didn't know, so was very very patient running with them and wanted to make sure they were stable before really engaging with them. Plenty of time. Was also still on first long run on new tires, pressures should be good, I was adjusting bias every 2-3 laps, lots going on. Started making some passes and running side by side, and it was pretty fun.

As the event transpired attrition became a thing. I was able to avoid all the trouble mostly. As mentioned earlier, most of the racers there understood the opportunity to make headway. Most of us have to fix the stuff we tear up. Most of us understand actions have consequences. As the race transpired there was a rash of cautions where it seemed like we couldn't get more than a handful of laps in. Started seeing a lot of tore up equipment and trucks missing a lot of body panels. Started discussing on the radio how I needed the cautions to end so we could race, but also because the fumes from rolling around under caution were making it impossible to breathe in the truck, something I'll fix. Right as we start to think everyone has it out of their system, roll into turn one right after a restart, and my whole drivers side knocked off by someone who was just in a wreck, but hadn't had enough, barrel into me and 4 trucks. I saved it, but whatever. Pretty purposeless and dumb. It appeared that, in an effort to hit every truck on track, a red flag came out later when the next person they hit didn't save it. It was a pretty unilateral relief based on post-race discussion with other racers in class when we saw that the truck involved would not be continuing, one of the minor setbacks of non-professional, for fun local racing, while most people are responsible and respectful, some people don't have to work for anything and just destroy, bringing out the red flag, and a lot of work and cleanup for the SPRS staff as well as On Site Towing, who's Lighting McQueen pace car pulled us down and stopped us on the apron after the Show was.. well... Stopped.
I was thankful for the red flag because we did learn my truck doesn't ventilate well, and I was nearly crying due to the fumes and was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. Being able to shut the truck off and get some fresh air was needed, and thankfully after that most everyone calmed down with the purposeless nonsense of wrecking each other for no reason. Again, just some first-race little issues we can sort out. But just getting some fresh air was much needed.

We had a nice green flag stint at the end, my new friend Jaron in the 43 overshot the corner and somewhat turned us, which was pretty easy to straighten it up and keep going ( The drift skills are still there ) and went back and forth with the 43 for a bit, and wound up 6th. It did pull both of us back, not that we necessarily would have kept up with the front 3 trucks that broke away, but just rode around and survived the end.
A lot was learned. A lot, and there will be a LOT more to learn.

Came back home, need to remount my body on the passenger side, fix the bumper, and that's about it. Got a lot of operational procedures, prep, and other things I need to address and prep for as well. Being the first event there were a lot of things that I didn't know I needed to do as well as a lot of things that I wanted to see how they played out and then work on them from there. This did exactly what I wanted, it was fun, the truck sounded cool and was a handful, and it's not super easy so I can actually apply myself to something and not be mentally bored and unchallenged which is something I've struggled with a lot lately, and a chance to achieve something with buddies. That's fun.

So in summary, had a lot of fun, learned a lot, wrote a novel for the internet now as well. Lucked my way into a 6th even though I was pretty slow for where I should have been.

The degree, detail and complete inconsistency of the tires, track, and setup is really surprising, and it's a lot to learn, which is fun and look forward to trying to figure it out.

There are a bunch of people who thought this would be fun (they were correct) and have helped, thank you all, but especially thanks to Charles Evans Jr. who built the truck, and my buddy TJ Hull ( who is one of my old drifting buddies and has become a good friend of mine over the last decade, who was my spotter and it's been extremely helpful talking to someone else with a very similar background helping translate some of the circle track stuff to what I am familiar with. Was cool even though we butt heads sometimes to have my Dad there, and my Danger Ranger 9k friends Catie and Archibald from SOS Transport, Dustin from One Guard, and a ton of others. The media content has been great as well from Daniel Regalado and others. IAS Drift was awesome and let us put word in their circles and it was awesome to see the way they captured the event to share online in ways that aren't typically done.

Also thank you to the circle track community for being super friendly, and accommodating to the new folks, and John and Dean from SPRS/HMP for giving us a place to race. It was really cool putting a lot of names to faces that I had talked to previously and everyone was super nice. I'm sure that will change once we all wreck each other or see a political joke on social media we don't agree with, but it's nice for now.
I was so stressed out in July when the previous promoter pulled the plug. I needed this to work so badly I jumped in trying to help with the series, was welcomed, made some good friends in the process and it's been cool to see something be assembled from scratch in less than 60 days between, literally, nothing, and a functioning event. It's good to see the track moving forward, and I think all of us, including the previous promoter, are really happy to see that, with a driver-centric group as well where feedback is taken in, processed, studied and acted upon in time.

Thanks for reading my novel. This is set to release in a 440 page hardback version at your local bookstore soon.
Also I know most of my friends and followers are NOT circle track folks. Let me know stuff you'd like more info on, I'll post about it!"

334A4538_(3).jpg

25 minutes ago, arob said:

What was the car count?

Arob there is still some work to do with the car count. But it was better than I expected. Trucks was the biggest class with I think 16 started. Modifieds had 10-12 start. and about the same for the rest of the classes. Naskarts had 6 start I believe. 

With all the volatility and uncertaintly over the last couple of years its hard to know how many cars are still out there or how many just gave up. From what I saw Saturday night, things look very promising. If they can develop some consistancy it should draw some more cars. Couple more races to go this year yet to hopefully finish strong, and give racers a good feeling that they can sink some money into a car and still have a place to race it. 

But the fans have to do there part as well. 

14 hours ago, rails said:

With all the volatility and uncertaintly over the last couple of years its hard to know how many cars are still out there or how many just gave up. From what I saw Saturday night, things look very promising. If they can develop some consistancy it should draw some more cars. Couple more races to go this year yet to hopefully finish strong, and give racers a good feeling that they can sink some money into a car and still have a place to race it. 

This is an absolute truth you have spoken, 100%.  There are a lot of folks in the wait-and-see crowd.  

I really hope we can get them going.  I am new to this community, but I've been surprised how many folks I had that are wanting to come check it out, hopefully it turns into something.

Even had some the guys that I play iRacing with starting to ask about getting cars.  Just going to take some time, but I know we have tried to put the word out as much as possible, but if you've got a car, we will find a class for you to run.  

22 hours ago, arob said:

What was the car count?

11 Eco's, 15 Pro-Trucks, 6 Nascarts, 6 Outlaws w/ 3 Super Stock * Racing  All Racing Together,  7 Legacys, 14 Pro-Mods.  (w/ No True Late Models)

Racing Results @ "www. race-monitor.com/ Results"  click - Paved Ovals

Hope Info Helps.

Edited by metroracer

28 minutes ago, metroracer said:

11 Eco's, 15 Pro-Trucks, 6 Nascarts, 6 Outlaws w/ 3 Super Stock * Racing  All Racing Together,  7 Legacys, 14 Pro-Mods.  (w/ No True Late Models)

Racing Results per "racemonitor.com" / Paved Ovals

Hope Info Helps.

It's speedhive.com now. I just searched "Houston", and it was the first result.

Maybe this link will work:

https://speedhive.com/Events/2048211

14 hours ago, metroracer said:

Racing Results @ "www. race-monitor.com/ Results"  click - Paved Ovals

Hope Info Helps.

looking at the speed hive results

For the outlaw/pro late/super stocks

there were 10 cars starting

6 of those had the high downforce outlaw bodies

of those 6, 3 practiced as super stocks as did 1 more with a late model style body

That leaves 3 cars with late model bodies, 1 for sure is a pro late, the other 2 had pro late model bodies but I don't know the package they run so they could be outlaw or pro late, but I think they run PLM

So as a best guess I think 3 outlaws/4 super stocks/ & 3 Pro late models

One thing I do know from looking at these 3 classes run together on the same tires shows just how dominate those outlaw bodies are!

23 hours ago, WMI said:

looking at the speed hive results

For the outlaw/pro late/super stocks

there were 10 cars starting

6 of those had the high downforce outlaw bodies

of those 6, 3 practiced as super stocks as did 1 more with a late model style body

That leaves 3 cars with late model bodies, 1 for sure is a pro late, the other 2 had pro late model bodies but I don't know the package they run so they could be outlaw or pro late, but I think they run PLM

So as a best guess I think 3 outlaws/4 super stocks/ & 3 Pro late models

One thing I do know from looking at these 3 classes run together on the same tires shows just how dominate those outlaw bodies are!

I've been corrected by the authorities and I was off on one being a SS

4 outlaws

3 PLM

3 Super stocks