COTA

24nomo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Racing is far from dead in Texas. Asphalt racing is very difficult to sustain for whatever reason. No one in Texas is running a weekly show and just one track remaining in a very large market in Houston that runs at a grassroots level, but the couple dozen dirt tracks sprinkled around the state are doing well. I know the group in Houston is doing everything they can to make sure asphalt racing doesn't go by the wayside. Even the tracks that are closed aren't even standing anymore including the one with arguably the most history behind it (CCS) and SAS would take a miracle to get going again and I just don't see any new tracks being built or successful for whatever reason. Just because all we have are dirt tracks, doesn't mean the state won't support it though. TMS almost always has entertaining Indy races, Trucks are good there and it seems like COTA is a success for NASCAR. HMP even seems to be moving in the right direction. I don't know what happened to local level asphalt racing in Texas but I vividly remember going to a few tracks (Longhorn, SAS, and CCS) growing up and all of them thriving as far as car counts and fans in the stands. Even CTS was doing well until whatever happened there happened. A lot of the names I grew up watching have gone to dirt and enjoy it but as an asphalt racer, outside of Houston, you have to go states away for the next asphalt track. Even NASCAR is trying to embrace the dirt but I'm sure the expenses those teams would incur to have a "dirt" car in the stable is high. Plus, even at dirt tracks, it wouldn't be uncommon to see fans wearing NASCAR merchandise, getting updates on NASCAR events, or still supporting asphalt racing from other areas. Most would love to see some more tracks or SAS make a comeback, just don't see it happening. Racing is far from dead in Texas though.

34 minutes ago, top_shelf_12 said:

Racing is far from dead in Texas. Asphalt racing is very difficult to sustain for whatever reason. No one in Texas is running a weekly show and just one track remaining in a very large market in Houston that runs at a grassroots level, but the couple dozen dirt tracks sprinkled around the state are doing well. I know the group in Houston is doing everything they can to make sure asphalt racing doesn't go by the wayside. Even the tracks that are closed aren't even standing anymore including the one with arguably the most history behind it (CCS) and SAS would take a miracle to get going again and I just don't see any new tracks being built or successful for whatever reason. Just because all we have are dirt tracks, doesn't mean the state won't support it though. TMS almost always has entertaining Indy races, Trucks are good there and it seems like COTA is a success for NASCAR. HMP even seems to be moving in the right direction. I don't know what happened to local level asphalt racing in Texas but I vividly remember going to a few tracks (Longhorn, SAS, and CCS) growing up and all of them thriving as far as car counts and fans in the stands. Even CTS was doing well until whatever happened there happened. A lot of the names I grew up watching have gone to dirt and enjoy it but as an asphalt racer, outside of Houston, you have to go states away for the next asphalt track. Even NASCAR is trying to embrace the dirt but I'm sure the expenses those teams would incur to have a "dirt" car in the stable is high. Plus, even at dirt tracks, it wouldn't be uncommon to see fans wearing NASCAR merchandise, getting updates on NASCAR events, or still supporting asphalt racing from other areas. Most would love to see some more tracks or SAS make a comeback, just don't see it happening. Racing is far from dead in Texas though.

one main point here .. the dirtracts have realized a common rule for thier cars  and the willing to work with each other  least down here has paid off for them ... we can go to edna with the same car i37 with the same car sts with the same car  just about any dirt track with the same car and not change much ..    the only cost savings that makes a big differents is tires .. . you could not do that for asphalt .if you wanted to run up front that tire bill was extreme .. and in some cases none of the asphalt tracks would work with each other .you could pay a great purse and not bring many cars from another track . managment played alot in that ....  how many times did you see a track manager load up a racecar and go race at a competitor s track . or even own a car to do so ..  . unheard of .. ..    there are so many other things that did not help asphalt tracks here in texas  one was lawsuits that one right there killed a really  popular track least it helped ..  others management . 

I am so glad NASCAR is finally at COTA. Seems the Formula 1 guys could not support the track but NASCAR can . They are the top tier of stock car racing. Hopefully it will help make racing great again .

For me another 1/4 mile asphalt track should do great if they cater to the average citizen like CC Speedway during its successful endeavors. The profit coms with the ticket sales count, not the price tag of the cars themselves. Quit trying to be like Cup without the huge sponsors needed .

Most of the tracks are closed or do not host the series I race. RGS, CCS, Riverside, Almeda Speedway, Navasota,  Lufkin, Central Texas, Longhorn, Edinburg Speedway, Gator,  to name a few are only a memory. A new burst of interest is needed and the weekend at COTA just might be the spark .The taxpayers deserve a positive return on their investment  and will get it if we can keep politics out of the equation .

Lets keep it positive .Bashing a track reduces everything. Even the rain cant keep this endeavor from being a success. The truck race was fantastic .

Keep politics out the equation. Wishful thinking lol. In all seriousness, think HiTech is spot on and Thumper I agree to a point. Asphalt quickly outpriced themselves. Even in a "beginner" or "economic" class, rules kept changing to make it too expensive for most to afford. Even in that class you run, it went from a basic gut and break out glass to Esslinger heads and $10000 motors for a car that was never worth that much from the factory. Rules packages rarely meshed and drivers always wanted more and more leniency in rules. Inmates started running the asylums and now...how is Houston trying to make it work (one way at least)? Partnership with other tracks, similar rules to let drivers run at multiple facilities with minimal changes.

5 hours ago, jc6221 said:

I sure hope a few of y’all don’t hit NASCAR and COTA too bad in the wallet and they survive without y’all’s support.

lets see jc , HAD  it not been from million of us over  40 plus years of supporting  nascar  we would not be talking about them  . . as for cota. .. i look at this way . the state never  asked me if it was ok to use any of my tax dallors  to help build that track and support it each year .. so in a way i am supporting the track as an investor.. ,  it is not the track .its the owners  who  stole it .  the track is one of the finest i have ever seen .. 

Edited by HiTech

2 minutes ago, 24nomo said:

How did they steal it?   

Please allow me to respond to this question.  

What HiTech is referring to is the drama that occurred when Tavo Helmund and the team that developed the plans and obtained the funding for CoTA were forced out by the group of investors led by the current ownership.

There is ample information floating around the internet where you can obtain more background about this saga.  I am not at liberty to discuss any of the pertinent details due to my confidentiality agreement with Mr. Helmund, who is a friend of mine. 

Thanks for reading!

Nick

Oh, I see.  Business disputes happen in every business where there are partners.   I am sure there are two sides to the  story.   I heard one side and dont really care.  I enjoyed the facility and appreciate both sides for making it happen

On 5/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, rebelracewriter said:

Wasn't he the same guy that said previously that he "knew the whole story?"

thinking-face_1f914.png

COME TO THINK ABOUT REB .YOU ARE RIGHT . .NO NICK IT ISNT  ABOUT THE TRUTH . he does not really want to know the truth .

Edited by HiTech

17 minutes ago, HiTech said:

COME TO THINK ABOUT REB .YOU ARE RIGHT . .NO NICK IT ISNT  ABOUT THE TRUTH . he does not really want to know the truth .typical leftist ...ill call it for what it is .

And everyone forgets the Kevin Schwantz(MotoGP) deal too.....But some seem to "know everything." But I digress.....

5 hours ago, HiTech said:

COME TO THINK ABOUT REB .YOU ARE RIGHT . .NO NICK IT ISNT  ABOUT THE TRUTH . he does not really want to know the truth .typical leftist ...ill call it for what it is .

Typical leftist? I don't think it's the left that repeats disproven theories or decided to protect profits.. But HT, I am completely beside you on the tax thing. Govt should never be involved with increasing profits for rich folks. I read that if Miami gets F1, then the 250+ million dollars the state has given to cota over the years may come to an end. Maybe I'll get to go one of these years. 

13 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

And everyone forgets the Kevin Schwantz(MotoGP) deal too.....But some seem to "know everything." But I digress.....

Kevin's role in the Epstein / McCombs deal is often overlooked.  I do not know Kevin personally, so I don't feel comfortable talking about it as if I had insider information like I actually do have with Tavo.  

Tavo and I discussed his F1 plans a few years before he actually launched the project and he swore me to secrecy.  At the time LSSZ was one of the primary sources of Texas racing news since FB wasn't really a big deal back then.  He wanted LSSZ as an ally and I was more than happy to offer him the platform.  

We don't talk much these days, but during the time when all this was going down, he confided in me and one other (a guy from Autoweek).  

14 hours ago, skipperf said:

Govt should never be involved with increasing profits for rich folks. I read that if Miami gets F1, then the 250+ million dollars the state has given to cota over the years may come to an end.

Every major sports stadium in the United States gets help from the government in one way or the other.   These guys building these facilities spend hundreds of millions of dollars and some over a billion.   The economic impact on the local communities is huge.  The venues help provide jobs for lots of people.   The taxes that are brought in refund the state/government for their help.   So, who cares if the owners rake in a little themselves.   The refund to them from the fund is audited and helps the track stay afloat while keeping lots of people employed.   

On 5/26/2021 at 6:11 PM, arob said:

Most fans don't know about any wrong doings done to whoever. Most don't care as long as the gates open and the show is good. 

That's a fact, arob.  But I do care.  And, of course, my absence at CoTA is meaningless except to me. 

I waited a little while to digest my time at COTA. As I said on page 1 of this thread, I went all 3 days. It was my first road race, and there is no doubt that road racing will never replace my love for oval racing. That being said, except for the rain on Sunday, we had a good time. Friday we got 2 practice sessions for the Lambo Series. In a deviation from the printed schedule, we got practice sessions from the trucks & Xfinity cars. That was great, and the weather was too.

Didn't go for the morning qualifying for the trucks and Xfinity, got there an hour before the start of the truck race. The trucks ran the entire race in very light showers, and it was a good race. The only cautions were for the stage breaks. The wind seemed to be a bigger issue than the rain. Ten minutes after they took the checked flag, the rain stopped and that wind dried the track before the Xfinity cars ran. NASCAR allowed the teams to change onto slicks before the race started. That kind of surprised me because it was an impound. However NASCAR made the right call. There were only a couple of yellows for off track excursions. Good Race Too!

The Cup race had light rain throughout the first stage. Unfortunately it got heavier in the second. The race should have been stopped after the Wallace/Harvick incident. Yes the Air Titans were able to remove a lot of water off the back stretch area, where it was pooling, but it was now raining harder. They should have never restarted that race. Of course then they did. Big Mistake!! By the grace of God, and only by his grace, nobody got hurt. We were seated on the top row in turn 1, and there were times it was hard to see the cars entering turn 1 that weren't at the front of the field, and we were looking down! Plus turn 1 is at the top of a hill. The back of the track is much lower. I really love racing, but not when it absolutely doesn't make any sense. That made no sense. Racing is dangerous enough without introducing stupidity to it.

The facility is beautiful. I went there once before for a tour of the facility. The rain of course was a disappointment, but by far wasn't the biggest disappointment. There was almost no food choices. I really expected that COTA & Austin would have done a better job of promoting some of the really great food available in the Austin area. We were seated in turn 1, and the only thing available there was a pizza place and a taco wagon. As I am a disabled vet, we parked every day in the main lot by the main grandstand. So we walked every day through the main concourse twice. Maybe we missed it, but that's all we saw there too. There wasn't many merchandise trailers either. I don't know it it was because of the predicted weather that kept those venders from coming, but sure was surprising/disappointing. Before the end of the second stage, the taco wagon close in turn 1. Don't know if they ran out of food, or nobody was buying. 

I looked for Tavo, but never saw him. I really didn't expect to, because I'm sure that he would be very busy. But I still wanted to thank him for all that he has done to make that track happen. He wouldn't know me from Adam, because I only got to meet him thanks to Mr. Holt. But I have always believed that a person should be thanked for their hard works and good deeds. He did both, so

Thank You Tavo!!