Total Cost Per Season

direct-flo

legacy47,

I am trying to decide. it seems that at least online the cost thing is an issue. I just wanted someone racing in TPS to reply. my decision will be based on alot more factors than just the cost. I have walked the pits at thr and talked with both allison & tps drivers. the cost issues at least overall seem to lean towards the allisons as far as upkeep on the cars and total cost. but still checking .

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Racingnut,

I run with TPS, and can say I looked at both series as well before joining TPS. I still talk with some of the folks with the Allison series, and both series have great folks. I think both series provide great competition and have great people in them.

The reason I chose TPS initially was the startup costs. I also spent an evening with the TPS officials and watched how things were run. I like the organization that Neil and his team provides. (To be fair to the Allison's, I didn't spend the same time with them, as I found a TPS car very quickly after spending time in the pits with TPS.)

I found that the initial cost with TPS can be lower. Both have great folks, and have about the same overall maintenance. The Allison's use Mazda engines, and TPS has a wide spectrum of engines. However, most of the engines out there today (in TPS and Allison) are reliable and can last a long time for what we use them for. Bottom line is that you can spend as many or as few hours maintaining any car in any series as you deem necessary.

The big difference I see between the two series is the difference in what you need to focus on. In Allison, the cars are the same. If a part breaks, you know what you will put back on the car. That allows you to focus on set-up. In TPS, you can make a change and re-engineer as much as you are willing to (within the usual confines of the rules.) Currently, I am fighting the bugs of putting in a different drive train. With the old one, that car flew. I have spent the first four races of this year chasing bugs in the carburetor/ manifold. This has left me zero time to work on the different setups for the three different tracks we have run at.

But that is what I have enjoyed :P . When I do get it right, that first victory will be even sweeter, because I put it together. Now, it was my choice to make the change in drive-trains; I could have just as easily rebuilt the old engine, and had the gear ratio, reliability, and setups down, and focused on winning. But this was a chance to try something that hasn't been done, and I am learning more than I ever wanted to about Hondas. There are some great TPS cars out there that will require very little to go and go fast.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and good luck in whatever series you choose...

Lloyd

TPS #19

• 2 weeks later...

To add to Harts comments..

TPS & Allisons are great cars to get into..

I liked the Allisons because of the lack of time one has to spend "garage racing" & and you can run and run with the durable motor.

regardless what class/series you decide to join, get involved....lets go racing

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Finally put a set of puddle jumpers on the car.....

Oh! need to replace 2 boards on the trailer.

Stop by my pit July 2nd at THR, I will be the one running around acting like he is doing something....Really I am looking for some shade & helping all the others by staying out of their way.

Tom

Our hobby cars run anywhere from 3500.00 to 5000.00 depending on damage and tires . the initial cost isnt bad . we keep spare parts around for chassis and suspension , old pieces bend just like new ones and they are cheaper . Spare motors are nice if you are in it for points , they dont have to be full tilt , just decent . We save alot on oil and fluids by torco . Alot of stuff you need to get started you can get used . Remember those days jc . Our biggest expense is fuel and tires . Dont plan on running middle of the pack or even back of the pack , its expensive back there. I wouldnt buy a mid pak car unless you know for sure you can do what it needs to make it a front runner. Assuming you can drive . Be very carefull buying used cars , there are alot of them out there that are not worth tree they are parked under . Take some one who knows their stuff when you buy one if you are not sure yourself . ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I can top that . My # 71 scirocco driven by Bruce Mabrito gets the tires,

oil, lexan, body parts , etc. that I take off my #48 car. What comes off the 71 will end up on the #78. We throw nothing away. Old lexan thats hard to see thru gets cut up into fender flares. Tires on the 78 are 3 years old.

Well the first thing we did is find some cars. My boss put an add in the add sack wanted dodge neons running or not. We got three, one for $100, another for $75, and another for $50. These cars where in pretty bad shape and only one had a title. We sold the trany out of one of them for $200 Total car cost $25 . Plus the add. That left two cars for parts.

• 9 months later...

Well I figured up my race expenses for 2006

1 set of tires (sponsor covered 1 set)

oil, filter

1 set of Diamond wheels (to allow for backup set)

1 nose piece

1 left front fender

1 axel

1 helmet fan w/hose

paint (repainted car 1/3 of the way into season)

decals

fuel for car and pickup (same)

pit fees (C.C.-THR-SAS) excludes TWS

No engine work was needed during season

Tires could make another race or 2

Total: 2659.83

Ohhhhh trust me Excel i know the racer races on his winnings or lack of winnings in most cases they need that check to go to the next race.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday season and hope to see many of you at the track in 2007.

J.C

Archived