Total Cost Per Season

direct-flo

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will run by the car wash right after I stop for fuel....sometimes.

At the beginning of the season I scaled the car at Mr. Rileys shop. After that I would scale it at the track (Mr. Rileys scales) if needed.

The 45 minute time was for me to change my gears at home. I do it much faster at the track..(Can't drink in the pits)

Any damage I had , I repaired off season.. I can't remember having to spend any amount of time repairing the car during the race season.

Tom

poorboy,

don't get me wrong, some other teams spend a little more time and money.

But the reason I race these cars is that I don't have to work on them all the time, and I can spend lots of time with the wife and children.

I don't spend a whole lot- for a whole lot of fun.

Mel tells anyone who asks about the time and money involved "take a look at toms racing check list" "check tire pressure on car trailer"

Tom

Bar2248

I was competitve I think..keep in mind, I was both driver and crew. I did have a spotter most of the time. Being that it was just me, I did not get tire temps, pressures or lap times. I would just come off the track and head to my pit area.

This works for me.

I finished 6th in points (missed 2 races)

It always helps to have help at the track.

I had fun, and felt like I had as good a chance at winning the race as anyone.

Tom

Texas Dwarf Car

cost of car race ready - $5,000 - $ 7,000

One new set DOT tires - used all season (20 races)

My guesstimated costs:

Fuel for truck : $80

Fuel for car - 4 gallons super unleaded - $10

Oil change every 3rd race - $20

Pit pass $25

Drinks, food, snuff - $30

Avg cost per race night - $150

Time spent during week working on car- anywhere from none at all to 3-4hours to go over entire car - tinker/adjust.

Purse payout of $70 a race whether your holding the checkers, on on the wrecker.

Dave Tedford

I don't think any TPS drivers have responded.

There is no such thing as a "typical" TPS car. There are some TPS cars that have been around for years that basically get the oil changed once in a while and the leaves removed from the carb at least once a year. But there are also some TPS cars that are basically a SLM chassis with a 4-cylinder engine that has been tweaked as much as any Late Model.

The beauty of the TPS series is that there are many makes and models running and each one is very different from the other. I'm sure you could spend as much on a TPS car as any LM out there, but you could also spend less than what the Legacy guys spend.

Nick Holt

I have raced mini stock and Texas Thunder at CC Speedway for the last 10 years and have paid all my expenses with winnings.The reason is and especially with Thunder Cars because of the rules being relaxed enough to be able to use the things you have instead of having to buy special parts to meet rules while the rules do control the actual speed of the cars like tire and suspension parts.You can race a Thunder Car for less than a Bomer.They may not be as glamorus as a Late Model or a TAMS but for a poor person like me its the only choice.You can start racing for under 500$ and have a winning car for about 2500$.And the cars last a long time. Heres my expenses pit pass 20.00 race gas 15.00 truck gas 20.00 1 new tire about every 6 weeks,46.00 oil change about every 6 weeks 14.00 1 rebuild of engine and 1 major crash repair per year,500$ average winnings 125 per race. FUN - PRICELESS ! THUMPER

GB...that sums it up pretty good on TT cars...

unless you demo the thing!!!

add $400 for trip to the frame shop (remember...it's a unibody!)

you forgot to add the expense of...

couple of bottles of black cherry wine $20

case of beer $24

decent cigars (4-5 50 guage 7" to last the night) $20

Pete's Fried Chicken (cold) $20

talking with fellow racers & friends until the next morning...

PRICELESS!!!

:D

Hey Rick,I would be drinking,smoking and eating weather I was racing or watching so I cant count that as racing expenses.And the friendship is definately priceless.Guess what;I went to Rio Grande Speedways banquet last nite and found out I won 7th place in points with only 3 nites.2 wins and a 2nd.There was no money but I got a nice plack.I am now kicked out of Thunder Cars in McAllen again because they rewrote the rules again to " save the class "All the existing cars are illegal also.I was hoping they would align their Thunders with CCs for an increase in total Thunders for South Texas but they have their own plans,I dont know what.If I had not run the modified I would still be legal to drive.Neil said I can race without a windshield so I guess I will do that instead of the dirt track.With luck,the new car will be ready.By the way,the most experienced and the rookie of the year were the last men standing at our last race but I tricked him into leaving before me and got out of the truck for a minute so I won the title of LAST MAN STANDING. Then I drove 135 miles home.HaHa. THUMPER

TMT25 The only time I have an engine problem is when it is caused by something else like a damaged raidiator.The water cooled V W engines already use forged cranks and rods and the pistons are so strong they dont break.They dont make as much power as the Fords but the overall weight is less so it is about the same horsepower to weight ratio for all the cars.I ran a used short block for 2 years until I got it hot.All of the 4 cyl cars are very reliable.Come join us.Everyone is welcome,we race for fun.THUMPER

The TPS cars have 12 races on the "tentative" 2005 schedule so the "full season" cost is likely less than the track series for fixed expenses such as pit passes and entry fees. Because it is a touring series add for tow costs, meals on the road and an overnight stay for the long pulls (for us that's Corpus). Aside from the initial expense for the car, the maintenance costs are relatively low, oil change once or twice per season (synthetic), tires - left sides run 4-5 races at least, right sides about 3. If we are lucky (no flats) we should get the season done on 10 tires @ $90/tire. We average about two wheels per season, TPS is not a bad series for "rubbin" but accidents happen. Fuel probably averages about 30-40 gallons pre season @ $5/gal (if you're going to make a competetive TPS car it needs compression).

Between race prep ~ 5 hours average. Car gets scaled at the track every race and in the garage 3-4 times per season, more if we are trying different setups obviously. Check the valves almost every race, general visual check for linkages, bushings, nuts & bolts, etc. Inventory the tool boxes and repack before every race, a good chunk of the time is just loading and unloading the trailer. There is usually one "event" to recover from somewhere during the season, with luck it will only be a few extra hours with the porta-power and the bondo..

The motor is a learning curve, the longer you live with them the more you know what they need to live and they are all a little different. Spend the money up front for a good bottom end and don't turn it too tight..

Archived