Total Cost Per Season

direct-flo

J. C.-

I'm not sure what you got out of my post to 29LL. Direct-Flo had asked if that was the cost to "keep the car on the track," and 29LL asked if that included beer for the team. I was just making a joke that keeping the car on the track would have to include beer for the team.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's irrlevant, J. C. Race teams aren't meant to survive or prosper on purse money, though for many, it represents their profit margin.

TQ am i mistaken or did you post this message??? how is the prize money irrlevant to what it cost to race or if a team can go to the next race or not?

J. C.-

Purse money is irrelevant to what it costs to race because you don't get a purse based on what it costs you to race, and it's nearly impossible to make a profit or break even on purse money. You can't even do it in Nextel Cup unless you are one of the smaller teams, uncompetitive, and just running for the money at the back of the field.

Purses are based on what the teams bring to the table, and most series in Texas aren't bringing in large crowds (Terry Dickerson seems to be trying to change this, and I hope he can).

The question was, what does it cost to race? That means, how much will you have to lay out for expenses of all kinds? And that figure shouldn't include any possible winnings because that would give you an inaccurate figure for the cost of racing.

BUT TQ is it safe to say that...... if you have all the equioment to go racing, to stay alive and make it to the next race you need to win or finish 2nd? is there any thing that im wrong about? if you think so ask your 2004 champion. All i didn was state a fact and seem to want to argue with everone on this message board when it come to stating the true facts, becuase you think no one works hard enough to get sponsorships to race off of.

J.C

J. C.-

If your point is that, assuming you have everything paid for, you still need to finish first or second in order to go on to the next race, you're proabably right. But that wasn't the question. The question was about how much it costs to make it to the races. Your way, you could say it cost you nothing, because you got the money from each race purse.

That doesn't help answer the question of, if I don't win any money or have any sponsorship, how much does it cost me to go to each race, and how much over the season?

If that was not the gist of the original question, then I missed it, and I'm sorry.

i do recal the man asking for information from one that foot the bills. Which car do you pay for? and i feel i put togeather a fair price list for the man. but i still know with no sponsorship you need to finish 1 or 2 to continue. WHat does it cost to get a marketing deal with you??

J.C

Thanks for everyones imput.. on the subject of what the costs are to make the race on Saturday night. Also how much away from the track time you may spend working on your cars.

I am just trying to get a breakdown on what the costs are. I hope to hear from some other drivers ie; Hobby, S.S., LM, TPS, TAMS, ARTS, Dwarfs etc.

I do appreciate your replies. Hoping to hear from some different people before this thread goes south.. you can PM me if you wish.

any TPS or Dwarf car drivers out there.

Thanks

Tom

Guest RandyBorlace

I-37 Pure/street stock here i pay 10$ for gas to get to the track, 15-20$ for pump gas at the same station i put gas in the truck, 25$ pit pass, 10$ for a 12 pack and ice and a bag of chips or something like that, 12$ for oil and filter every week, 20$ for plugs. so i spend about 100 or so every week. as long as nothing breaks.

To race romco/usra it cost around $1200 a race to run. Im sure you can run on less than that but that would meen you would probally have to cut back from your preventative maintenance. And in the truck series I would say you probally spend around $500 a race or more. Just depends on how often you need tires and how far away the race is.

Guest RandyBorlace

i tinker with it all week, do a nut/bolt check, check rearend, and tranny fluid, change oil on raceday, plugs during the week and then i try to fix the body damage, i spend about 30 hours a week on it

I agree with JC and Colt cost breakdowns At SAS for a late model it cost around $750.00 per night to run the car $500.00 for tires,around $60.00 for fuel for the race car pit passes run $20.00 per person x3 in my case $60.00, oil & oil filter run around $48.00 , gatoraide, water, sodas, and ice run around $30.00,acouple of cans of break clean another $5.00,fuel for tow truck $10.00 to $15.00 per night, usually put 100 to 150 miles on my truck on race day,not to mention all the things like nitrogen, window cleaner, break fluid,wheelbearing grease,degreasers, shop rags,breaking down the cost of the NASCAR licence($180.00) pit slab rental($150) and car number regrestration fee($45.00) crew licences @$90.00 ea comes out to about $30.00 per night and feding the crew after the race about $30.00 comes out to about $778.00x18= about $14000.00not counting crashes blown engines a check for about 25k should cover it unless you have really bad luck.

Time wise i spend about 5 hrs a night and all day on saturdaysometimes as much as 16 hrs plus the 25 hrs on weeknights have one other guy that helps during the week about the same amount of time.so i would say it takes about 55 to 65 man hours a week.hope this is what you needed oh and before i forget a 20k advertising budget for tqj3.

RacerJim-

Advertising budget? Where did that come from?

I don't do advertising. The goal is to get you money, which takes promotion, and not 20 Grand worth.

It's funny how the one thing that will put fans in the stands and let everyone have a shot at getting a sponsor, promotion, is the thing no one has any money for...

As nearly as I can tell, everyone except Terry Dickerson is going to do the same things they did last year, and the year before, and so on.

How's that been workin' for ya?

RacerJim-

Advertising budget? Where did that come from?

I don't do advertising. The goal is to get you money, which takes promotion, and not 20 Grand worth.

It's funny how the one thing that will put fans in the stands and let everyone have a shot at getting a sponsor, promotion, is the thing no one has any money for...

As nearly as I can tell, everyone except Terry Dickerson is going to do the same things they did last year, and the year before, and so on.

How's that been workin' for ya?

Well, TQ, some of us are indeed trying new things like forming an organization called TTOPA. That's certainly a major departure from the past. One of TTOPA's stated goals is to increase the awareness of racing in Texas and hopefully, once TTOPA is fully up and running as we envision it, there will be some movement in the direction of promotions. And there are many others who are working with S.T.A.R.T and FASCAR to do many of the very things that you have so consistently suggested we do.

Of course, that doesn't help professional public relations firms very much, but least you have raised the racing community's awareness of the need for an increased level of promotions -- and because of your faithfulness in pointing out our promotional shortcomings, some things are actually being done. Not enough, to be sure, but Rome was not built in a day.

Nick Holt

That would be cool.

Oh yea, about your question about cost..

1. Air for tires. $.25

2. Golden State Oil at gas station. $7.28

3. Pit Pass. $22

4. 6 Gallons of 87 octane. $10.45

5. Race Car, found at junk yard race ready. $250.00

PRETTY COOL FOR A HOBBY STOCK HUH!!!!! :lol:

Hey Tom,

These costs are scary huh! Now that you have this info on other cars how about telling us what it costs you to race your Legacy Car a year?

Lloyd

Okay Lloyd if you want to know.

This is what I figure it cost me to make each of our races.

(San Antonio to THR)

* add more for tow vehicle fuel to CCMS or HMP *

My tow vehicle

20.00 reg unleaded

My pit fee:

25.00 ( I do this by myself, if I have help-its fellow racers)

Race night costs:

Fuel for race car: 4 gal @ whatever reg unleaded costs

Gear oil: 1 quart (only if I have to change the gears, not needed on back-to-back dates)

Food & Drink ( I go on the cheap, maybe 10.00 )

Nights spent working on car

45 minutes a week (If I decide to change my quick change gears at home)

Race Season Costs: figured on a 14 race season

10 tires ( I run about six races on a set) 1110.00

10 quarts of racing oil 50.00

2 oil filters 12.00

8 quarts of gear oil 36.00

1 set of spark plugs (4) 17.00

56 gal’s of racing fuel ( I run regular unleaded) 98.00

1 tube of RTV 6.75

Allison Legacy license 110.00

Total 1439.75

Tow Fuel: 520.00

Pit Fee’s: 410.00

Engine rebuilds: ( you can go 3 or more years without) 0.00

Food & Drink: ( I will buy a burger on long trips) 200.00

Total 1130.00

Time Spent Working On Car: (away from race track)

(If I changed my gears at home all the time) 10 hours or so

Archived