CTS turns into a rolling demo derby

geetar, just to help you and others understand what happened in the super stock race and why I continued. We as drivers become programmed to do what we hear over our scanners or radios.

In the beginning of our race last night I was spun out. The race director was pleading with me repeatedly over the scanner to "keep it going 18, keep it going"...meaning don't bring out a caution just get going. Once I got my car started I tried to comply. MY MISTAKE...I should have sat there and let the caution come out. Instead took off through the infield and made it onto the track. Once again I hear the race director on my scanner this time telling me "keep it low the leaders are coming". Going into turn 3 I get bumped again and I spin out. This time I get hit hard and part of my front end gets ripped off. I feel bad for any other cars involved that may have been damaged. I spoke with the race director after the race. I'll just leave it at that. I have always tried to comply with what I hear over the scanner but this time I should not have listened.

This being said I know that CTS and their officials are doing the best they can. These things happen. I will continue to support my home track , put this race behind me and hopefully learn from this.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it will not be at CCS on the 28th Jon

HomeDiva, wrecks happen. This was what happens with over aggressive driving , but a little inexperience on the 22 car also with over correcting after that car was completely sideways also. Not a bash at your driver or you cause everyone has had there share of over correcting. I have done it too. don't let this get y'all down. I had 3 bad races in a row then had to borrow a car for the fourth race. The bad luck turns around somewhere. Get that car back together and come back out and have some fun. We have a month till the next one hopefully we will see 15 cars at the next one again.

I hope you don't sell. I'm in a similar boat, I don't have the deep pockets as some of these guys do and am completely self financed. I wrecked real bad on the 31st and had to put new front end on my car. Did I mention I have the slowest car in my class? I was ready to throw a spare on your car when it pulled into the pits. Just couldn't find one. Us average Joe's need to band together against the old money.

Just my $0.02.

Just watched my in car and I was right behind the 50, 88, and 71. The 50 never brake checked the 88. Jaime in the 50 was running the same line the whole race. The 88 have him a bump in every turn and just couldn't get around him. The guy driving the 50 is not a rookie and has probably almost as much experience as Mark Chrudimsky. Going into 3 the 88 drove in deep and got into the 50 spinning him and the 71 spun to avoid. The 50 never brake checked anyone that was behind him

From coast to coast bomber cars have always PUSHED, RUBBED, BANGED AND RAN OVER EACH OTHER!!!! That is the class. If you start on the front row, the crowd expects it to be 4 wide into turn 1. That's what sells tickets, that's what people talk about on Monday morning!!! NOT how professional the bomber cars where or how safe all the drivers where, people expect to see one hell of a show when the bomber cars roll out onto the track!!! If your worried about how aggressive the drivers are or your car getting bummed or rubbed, maybe you should consider a different class. I hope I never see the day that the bomber class DOES NOT run 4- wide, sparks flying, wheel to wheel!!

Tommy T99

I hope you don't sell. I'm in a similar boat, I don't have the deep pockets as some of these guys do and am completely self financed. I wrecked real bad on the 31st and had to put new front end on my car. Did I mention I have the slowest car in my class? I was ready to throw a spare on your car when it pulled into the pits. Just couldn't find one. Us average Joe's need to band together against the old money.

Just my $0.02.

we dont have deep pockets either .$300 MIN just for us to race cts .we could just race here at home either sts or ccs ..and save a ton the 7 and 46 aswell ..but we enjoy racing at cts and hope to finish the season at cts ..but if the cars are going to get torn up .its cheaper to wreck em down here ...the grand stock class has enough problems keeping car counts now and you dont need to lose any ...

.the 88 spun him on the last lap .and i cant say why i was not in either cars only the two drivers know ....

From the pits, it was plain as day... the 50 was brake checking 88 every lap midcorner every corner. He was locking up his brakes and had his brakes locked before the 88 even made contact with him. In my very unprofessional and politically incorrect opinion, the 50 got raced with the exact same way he raced others, and came out on the losing end. I don't see how anyone can justify the way he was racing.

From my view, the 88 knew exactly what the 50 was doing and cut below him like that knowing that the 50 was going to brake check. I feel bad that the 88 has to repair any damage from that, same as the 22.

Do you really need to brake hard enough to lock up your tires in a grand stock? I'm not on the track yet. I don't know. All I know is 50 car was the only one doing so.

Get back on the track girl, somebody has to wall the 50 next race, right? (Kidding of course) :)

geetar, just to help you and others understand what happened in the super stock race and why I continued. We as drivers become programmed to do what we hear over our scanners or radios.

In the beginning of our race last night I was spun out. The race director was pleading with me repeatedly over the scanner to "keep it going 18, keep it going"...meaning don't bring out a caution just get going. Once I got my car started I tried to comply. MY MISTAKE...I should have sat there and let the caution come out. Instead took off through the infield and made it onto the track. Once again I hear the race director on my scanner this time telling me "keep it low the leaders are coming". Going into turn 3 I get bumped again and I spin out. This time I get hit hard and part of my front end gets ripped off. I feel bad for any other cars involved that may have been damaged. I spoke with the race director after the race. I'll just leave it at that. I have always tried to comply with what I hear over the scanner but this time I should not have listened.

This being said I know that CTS and their officials are doing the best they can. These things happen. I will continue to support my home track , put this race behind me and hopefully learn from this.

Believe me, I understand and I know you've been on the track since I was a little kid at CTS. That was NOT your fault at all.

I started directly behind the 50, i have every square inch of the video of the wreck , theres going to be a matter of opinions as to who was at fault with this one.

I'll get with Nick to see how i can post it on here IF he even wants it on here.

If not ill post the link so it can be viewed on YouTube.

Really hope you folks from Corpus area keep coming up here as the bigger fields helps fill the stands and makes the racing more exciting. I'm an old Alabama guy and grew up around the short tracks in that part of the country and have seen some really good and historic racing. That being said there is a reason I'm called hardheadted, :-) The first car my Dad had was a 48 buick with a straight 8 in it and he wrecked it almost every weekend, Bought up all the front end parts around Atlanta for it the first season. Haha!! Sometimes I forget things aren't the same as back then and really hope the drivers can police themselves.but if not, that's short track racing!! Diva don't sell, get even, legally of course and just out run him the next race. Danged ole officals need to get some eyes grafted on so they can watch the whole track at once, Ha! I know they can't see everything and are doing the best they can. Maybe a second set of eyes for the bigger races in the stand would help, I've seen that before and it does help.Say an assistant flagman because he can't possibly see everything going on if there are cars all around the track. That said, I love the racing, the track and hope it continues to grow!!

Really hope you folks from Corpus area keep coming up here as the bigger fields helps fill the stands and makes the racing more exciting. I'm an old Alabama guy and grew up around the short tracks in that part of the country and have seen some really good and historic racing. That being said there is a reason I'm called hardheadted, :-) The first car my Dad had was a 48 buick with a straight 8 in it and he wrecked it almost every weekend, Bought up all the front end parts around Atlanta for it the first season. Haha!! Sometimes I forget things aren't the same as back then and really hope the drivers can police themselves.but if not, that's short track racing!! Diva don't sell, get even, legally of course and just out run him the next race. Danged ole officals need to get some eyes grafted on so they can watch the whole track at once, Ha! I know they can't see everything and are doing the best they can. Maybe a second set of eyes for the bigger races in the stand would help, I've seen that before and it does help.Say an assistant flagman because he can't possibly see everything going on if there are cars all around the track. That said, I love the racing, the track and hope it continues to grow!!

Amen to that.

We will keep on coming up but if it is going to be a crash fest .ill save the travel money and wreck the car down here ......after 31 years of racing i have had my share of hard racing rubbing cut tires and what nots and am getting older and dont have the energy i once had . it takes longer to fix a car and and cost more i just dont care to keep doing that ...my son grew up in racing and have seen some of this crap that can go on .and it was instilled into him sitting in the infield wrecked wont give you a chance to win i cant improve his car or driver sitting there ..that is why he is not known to ruff someone up spin em or wreck em even if he is mad at em not saying he wont . .he will race em hard and either bump or rub his way past em if need be .but do every thing not to wreck em ....i am one who cooled down and went over and talked to a driver .not owner .team mate wife girlfriends and what nots .they dont matter to me they are not driving and at times i have had to ask the driver is it going to be racing or wrecking their choice ..but lets settle now so we can have an understanding and let all others know our intention ...thank goodness we had some really great races .and yes jamie was one of em ....and i have had drivers come to me ..we all want to race hard .some still need to learn just how to finish a race first .and some need a little help with attitude ..the 46 is one who knows he is not ready to race a faster car he cant beat .so he gives where needed and some day he wont have too , he is a driver who just wants to race have fun and load up ...

Amen Mike, WELL PUT. For me this is hip pocket racing, i rarely bring a tool much less any spare parts and as I've said before If i win great, if i finish 5th great, if i finish last great. At least I've gone out there and had fun doing what i wanna do. The only glory in my racing is i run a Body Shop and have access to whatever i need to put my car back together again.

Kathy i feel your pain because there for a while last season i spent more time on the infield wrecked than i did on the track and 99% of the time it was me being in the wrong place at the wrong time, i guess what im saying is stick with it unless your just totally done. i know this sport isn't cheap because i have to pay my own way also 100% but things do get better i promise.

I owe Sean Folson an apology for what could have looked like me trying to get into him but as soon as i realized he was there i pulled away.

Me and Sean have had our own little duel going the past 2 or 3 races and we spoke about it and now we both know where each other are with the situation, No bad blood.

Kathy don't let one or two bad starts ruin it for, hell start in the back and then work your way to the front rather than sitting on poll and being what you feel is a rolling target.

If i can help you with anything please don't hesitate to hit me up.

Just to clarify a few things....... I can promise no official or CTS staff member drives any car. I can also tell you at CTS the white stripe that crosses under the flag stand is a finish line......It is used for counting laps and for the last lap of the race. In turn 4 there are 2 painted white lines they are the start box, the leader of the race is to start anywhere they want from when there bumper hits the first line till it hits the second, but when they do the green is out and passing is allowed. Just wanted to clear up any questions on passing before the finishline..... yes its legal. Also CTS has never turned a blind eye on any situation brought to an officials attention....... I assume the blind eye that was mentioned involved the 30 car........ the video was reviewed and discussed don't believe me ask the 30 car. All videos will be reviewed with eyes wide open from the past race and all situations will be handled accordingly by CTS. Thanks and hope to see everyone in July!

i have a symple salution ....i am inviting all the grandstock drivers over to our car for a pow wow ...get to know each other and have a friendly meeting ......after the last practice or so .and make a point of meeting every one who could not make the meeting ...i really think all the grand stock drivers are good hearted and just need to know whats every one elses mindwork is . ...

There is nothing better for race fans to watch these Grand Stocks beat and bang, go 3 or 4 wide in the grass, spin out and never have a cauting unless it is for safety reasons. The fans went crazy when the 50 car put it in the grass to pass. You cant be too sensitive if you want to have fun in the Grand Stocks, it is supposed to be racing 102, not racing 101. Lightnen up, go pass in grass, have fun.

Bring back the dirty 30 and wasnt there one called stinky?

Ok I'm sick of this stigma of the Grand Stocks/Bomber/Pure Stock being a way to be entertainment through recklessness. Yes it's an entry level class designed to get people involved in racing as inexpensive as possible with a little speed. Eco Stocks are a little less expensive so why don't we clamor for them to tear each other up? I won't because I can respect the amount of time and money it takes to put ANY car on the track and I don't care if it's a go kart to a Super Late Model. Just because our cars aren't as fast or expensive as the faster classes don't mean we don't race just as hard or want to. You want to watch cars get destroyed, watch a demo derby. Want to drive that way, join a demo derby. Like Ivan, I'm more or less on my own paying for everything which is why my car hasn't made it yet. Yes I'm lucky to have a friend that is passionate enough about racing to put the immediate investments into my car but I will be paying him back and obviously paying an additional $300 or so to travel to race and risk getting tore up is a little deterrent. I don't even know how it will go at my home track. I've been around race tracks all my life and I'm not naive enough to think I won't be rubbed or bumped in my car and that's fine, race hard but if I'm going to be disrespected and taken out constantly by bad decisions then ya it probably won't be too fun and more stress than it's worth. I know accidents will happen but I don't think passing in the grass is ever acceptable unless avoiding a wreck. I want to race hard but will give my competitors respect and try to make the right decisions in that car to avoid making it more costly than it has to be. Again like Ivan my goal is to have fun racing and load it up after in one piece. If I do get into someone, I'll be the first to man up and apologize to the other party and if I could, I'd help them out. We know we'll never get our money back doing this but we don't need to be reckless either and honestly what is more enjoyable to watch, a good hard fought race or seeing multiple cars on a hook leaving the track and possibly never coming back?

I dont know about enrty level racing, these are not even race cars, they are street cars, so the fans look at it as entertainment. Maybe it is better to go to another class if you want to be respected as a racer, I thought these grand stocks were for the clowns just having fun.

So now every Grand Stock driver is a clown? So I guess CTS should just drop any class that's based off a street car chassis? Or maybe CTS can play circus music while they race. Get some trapeze acts in the infield? Thanks for helping make a decision for me though.

I've seen him in several cars and I've never seen him take anyone out except maybe once if it was him can't remember for sure and I know he's not the type to intentionally wreck someone. His personality is a special one for sure. We happened to be sitting near his parents during an old TAMS race at SAS when his motor went and his car was a fireball going down the back straight and he came up to the front fence yelling to the crowd asking if anyone had any hot dogs. I'm not saying the Grand Stock guys don't have fun but it's not fun being wrecked or re-building cars every week and they race just like every other class. Maybe Mark drives that 30 differently than he would a Late Model or Modified but he's still racing. The wrecks are going to happen in any class but if it's encouraged or celebrated then we may as well quit and all get station wagons and reinforce all the bumpers and move the radiators and never use brakes.

Archived