Best Driver you ever saw (in person)?

elliottfan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as a local level is concerned there had to be several. Bruce Beddoe & Monty Nichols were two to watch race each other. I always call those two racing "epic battles". Another I would consider is Greg Carlucci Sr. I had the opportunity to race against him one night when he drove Jr.'s car. With the way that car was so loose in the turns and he was able to keep it going was amazing. I would have bet a half dozen times or more he was going to wreck it was so wild. But he managed to get thru the turns and was on it down the straight. I would catch him again in the turn and stay back just a bit in case he did lose it. Awesome car control!!!

Who was the best driver i saw in person ...CANT ANSWER THAT ..WAY TO MANY i have watched over the years from the 60.s till today ....and picking just one would not be fair .and so far those post above have named just a few ...i know the 4 cylinder guys don't get much notice but heck there are a few of them i have on my list i know how hard it is to keep one of those powerful little cars under you at the speeds they run ..

My father, Auther Faulkner. Many probly dont know the name, but he raced at pan American speedway and Hwy 16 raceway untill the mid 80's.although he didnt win a ton of races he could wheel the crap outa that car. (Without power steering.)

post-3-1380842674.jpg

post-3-1380842682.jpg

Rick Rapp, Bruce Beddoe and Lawrence Mikleunchek (I'm sure I butchered that) are/were the best at getting the most out of their car on low budgets. Monte Nichols, the Carlucci's, Slick Yoemans, John Kelly and the Davidson's. Frank Silvera and for the four cylinders GB. Brandon Bendele can be thrown in there.

I would have to say Paul Jett.

In many different decades, on asphalt, dirt, clay, and road courses, he has been successful. From big block monsters to lawn mowers,

he has proven himself.

I once told him, that whenever somebody would mention great drivers to my grandfather, he would he respond with, until you've seen Paul Jett whoop all the V8s with a 6cyl. Hudson, you don't know great driving!

He always said you were one of his favorite drivers. Paul's response was, I don't know Whether to thank you or punch you in the mouth. I've never had anybody tell me that I was their grandfathers Favorite driver. You know how dam old that makes me feel? Then he gave me smile and a hand shake.

Most of you know, Paul is not a big man stature wise, but, untilhe smiled at me, I was scared to death. That was about 1984 or 85.

Man I got all fired up posting that last story, and forgot to mention, although I was not privileged enough to see him race very much, I have a lot of respect for Junior Medlock.

Doug Wolfgang----North Texas Speedway Royse City,TX

Man I forgot all about him. Seen him race in Knoxville Iowa when I was a kid.

I didnt really get to see him race due to my age but I was told I was at the track. So Im gonna have to say:

post-703-1380848316.jpg

It all depends on what you mean by best...

I tend to admire drivers who do more with less. And do it either on dirt or asphalt. Half-mile or quarter-mile. And to me that is Rick Rapp.

For just plain raw talent, I'd have to give Freddy Fryar the nod.

Nick

Archived