Best Driver you ever saw (in person)?

elliottfan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I forgot to add a couple names to my list. I didnt get to see Freddy Fryar and some of the others run and I remember watching Slick, Rapp, G Davidson, D Umscheid, K Reithmeyer run but these next drivers are from my generation.

Casey Smith

Bradley Reithmeyer

JC Umscheid

Eddy Wallace

Michael Umscheid

Chris Davidson

Colt James

You know I forgot to add a couple names to my list. I didnt get to see Freddy Fryar and some of the others run and I remember watching Slick, Rapp, G Davidson, D Umscheid, K Reithmeyer run but these next drivers are from my generation.

Casey Smith

Bradley Reithmeyer

JC Umscheid

Eddy Wallace

Michael Umscheid

Chris Davidson

Colt James

I second that.. Its hard to name just a few!

Best local dirt drivers Howard Willis and Lawrence Mekliceck (spelling error for sure) epic dirt late model races during the big h days ....,,.most heart!....By far Greg Davidson.....

Up and coming young guns..Bayley Currey, Clayton Green, Ryan Luza

Did the most with least and won a lot against better cars Sonny Hunt, Mike Martin jr and Brad Dixon

Most fun to race against JT Schild and Arthur Hermiz at h

And hate to say it but watching Kyle Busch at the derby was not what you would expect he is one of the best ever.

Watching Tony Stewart in an irl car at tms when he lapped the entire field under green, and was on his way to putting the feild a 2nd lap down then blew the right rear was awesome.

CC Fan here...started going to the races in the late 70's till present.

1. Slick Yoemans & Rick Rapp - from back in the day.

2. Lawerence Mikulencak - nobody better in the dirt.

3. Brandon Bendele

many others i could list but these guys ive seen the most.

Because of where I grew up my list would be really different than most of yours. It is really neat to see some names cross the regional lines though. I've seen Fryar, Bickle, Wolfgang, Greg Davidson and a few others previously mentioned.

In modifieds, my list would include drivers like Brett Hearn, Billy Pauch (just won his 700th feature in NJ last week), Kenny Brightbill, Buzzie Reutimann and Jack Johnson. And.though I didn't see him in his prime I have to include Frankie Schneider on that list.

SPRINTS: Kinser, Swindell, Kauffman and Wolfgang

Dirt Late Models: Billy Moyer, Scott Bloomquist, Freddy Smith, Jeff Purvis

Way too many to list them all.

Not to be buzz kill, but the title was "best" i.e. (one) driver you have seen in person....Most of us on here have seen the very best around, that was what made this such a tough one to answer....JMO. B)

YOU are correct .. cant eat just one lays potato chip so i dont eat em .the reason why i have not named anyone cant come up with just one

Freddie Fryer .... the smoothest

Leroy Brooks .... if the car was loose

Jimmy Finger .... the slyest

John Kelly .... the most patient

Hubert Bean ... the most versatile

Ed Sczech….. the most consistent

They were all the “best” at one time or another- as were many, many others

J.D. HUGHES the SUNDOWNSIZZLER & JOHN FOSTER.

I have to pick J.D. over John though since his Equipment wasn't quite as good as Johns and J.D. only had vision in one eye. JD Won the Stockcar division race in 1981 at the COPPER WORLD CLASSIC at the 1 mile track in Pheonix. They both could have drove in WINSTON CUP if they would have had the exsposure like people do now days !!!

I have to break my own rules and give my answer(s) by catgories:

Pavment Supers - Bill White. By Far. He dominated Austin all the years they ran supers. No one else even close, IMO.

Stock Cars - Freddy Fryar. Guy was a master at the wheel. Knew how to get exactly enough out of the old Firestone soft gumballs he used.

On Dirt - Slammin Sammy Swindell. He has more talent than even his huge ego thinks.

Road Racing - Paul Jett was the best.

Archived