Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Gene,

I have thought about many times. Who knows, It might just be in the plans.

Thanks for your input and contribution to this forum.

-Randy

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy again guys.

Today when I was going thru some old Hurricane Ike flooded papers in my garage... ran across a few items of interest from the early days of the track at Scholes Field in Galveston.

Sorry about the bad quality but they have been thru a flood you know.

Oh, that's my sister in my virgin, never been run, Kurtis in Sept. 1958. It was my 7th birthday present on the day the picture was taken on the runway apron at Scholes.

Up to that point I had just been getting the feel of some Offy 1/2 demo cars they had at the airport that had the upper front cowl that opened up for easy entry and exit and I believe that had centrifical cluthes in them also. I used to have a blast in those Offy's running all over the airport aprons. Wonder what ever happened to those cars?

Enjoy. Bruce 1/4.

Update.....

Randy, just got around to looking at a blowup of the color photo with the cars lined up at the start / finish.

I'm now certain that was not taken in Galveston because I know we didn't have a wall. I'm sort of thinking it was a later picture either at Pasadena or perhaps up at the Garland Nationals? Really don't recognize many of the cars either as being from the Houston area. Any ideas?

I'm leaning toward Garland because the gray or powder blue car on the outside front row is from Gladewater, TX which is about 50 miles to the East of Garland.

Like my dad used to say, he had a good memory but it was just too short - ha.

post-12046-1306799707.jpg

post-12046-1306799714.jpg

post-12046-1306799725.jpg

post-12046-1306799734.jpg

post-12046-1306799742.jpg

post-12046-1306799751.jpg

Edited by BruceBoening

Gene and Bruce

The track with the wall appears to be the old Pasadena Tx. track located at the Rodeo Fairgrounds off Red Bluff.

This was probably shot around 1961 as the wall I believe was added after 1960 by the Pasadena Jaycee's.

The quarter midget on the tail end is me in the Pacemaker midget #85. Fastest qualifiers were reverted to the rear on the feature races to give the slower guys like Bruce a slim chance to make it to the front!

Since we never knew which way Bruce was gonna turn left or right in a left hand turn, you had drift high to catch his attention and then dart low under him as he was looking the other direction..

I recognise a few of the drivers and cars and this was the last track to survive the Quarter Midget era in the Houston, Pasadena area before it faded out of popularity to Go-Karts.

As to any progress to bringing back quarters to Houston would take some time and sanctioning but first a location to do so. I think the idea is awesome so we will see what we can come up with.

As we have all gotten a little more to the senior side of life, time seems to be our enemy. I think with the track, a museum of vintage midgets would be a real kicker!

:rolleyes:

I found myself in this Hot Rod Mag cover. I am in the top right hand corner, #56g. It was taken at the Glendale, CA QMA.

Awesome and thanks for your input. I guess you are joining us from California? B)

Randy,

If the interest in bringing the museum together with a track gets serious I may be able to help as I'am a Real Estate Broker. I'am also sure you have had some discussions about what direction to go as far as making this happen. This could be intresting and lots of fun. I was eyeing some property in League City that had two tracks on it and was used for karts I believe, but it ended up being a Day Care which did not work and was demolished. Your knowledge of cars,tracks,and racing is amazing. Thanks for all of your imput.

Gene

Edited by genesurrency

• 2 months later...

Doug Plank sent us this information..

Recognize any of the names here?

Here is a very interesting and special photo in Quarter Midget history.

First, all three cars shown are the new production Kurtis cars that came after the famous two silver aluminum models were built (Shoji and Webster) and I think just before Kurtis sold to Potter.. Beautiful cars. I remember as kids referring to these as the “NEW” Kurtis.

This picture is in 1962 at Plainfield, IN.

(L-R) Steve Lotshaw (who went on to USAC midget fame) and his dad, then Chris Yoder of West Liberty, Oh (who later held world’s fastest QM qualification for some time) and his dad Donald in the middle, and Pancho Carter and his dad Duane Carter, Sr. both of Indianapolis 500 fame.

post-8338-1314751353.jpg

(Thanks to Chris Yoder for this photo, fellow Mac O Chee club driver, friend, classmate, we grew up in the famous racing town of West Liberty OH together where we floated our homemade rafts down the river that runs behind the track)

• 1 month later...

My hats off to you guys that put this together I currently have two go karts that my grandkids race at Shady Oaks Speedway in Goliad tx. We have a blast I cant wait to show them this thread. Keep up the good work you guys. Thanks Nick Holt for such a great website We would have never know about this if it werent for you. Also look in ebay I see vintage midgets in there from time to time if you find one send the guy a message looking for parts theres always more than one way to skin a cat!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I remember racing 1/4 midgets in Houston and around Texas in my younger days, but have lost track of alot of the competitors over the years.

A little help with this list and where they might be or what they've been up to would be interesting. Here's who's names I can remember.....Larry Schilds, Larry Robinson, Johnny Robertson, Randy Coon,(Shannon now), Bubba Nolan, Gail Nolan, Sandra Honea, Jo Jo Jordan, BoBo Cooper, Bill Pollack, Kathy Pollack, Larry Pollack, Dempy Rozofy......and somebody help me out here. Oh yeah me ...Denny Burton.

Is this post from 2007? :rolleyes:

Boy, what can I say...

Awesome collection. And I agree with your statement in your profile... leave the patina as much as possible to last racing condition. In my gunsmithing hobby people want me to restore firearms back to original condition and I have the hardest time convincing them to just get things working again and let it go at that.

For some reason the Moss really stands out and catches my eye as the "classic example" 1/4 from my era... 1957-1960.

Don't remember the extra roll bar bracing though....thought they had just the single bent tube like my Kurtis.

Oh, well.. good memory... just short.

-Bruce

Edited by BruceBoening

• 4 months later...

post-3-1332422600.jpg

My little brother, Mike Moore, raced in the preliminaries in the Garland Nationals against Sleepy Tripp in B Mod class. When the flagman signaled Mike to give the racing line to Sleepy, Mike immediately turned outward, directly into Sleepy's path. Sleepy flipped end for end and did a fair amount of damage to his car. My dad and Mike, knowing we had no chance at the finals, offered Mike's car to the Tripp's. They swaped their engine into Mike's car and went on to a win. It was a very fast car, and Sleepy was just a natural at driving.

We later moved to Tulsa, and raced there before moving again to Memphis. Memphis had a dirt track and we had never driven on dirt. Mike took two laps around the track throwing a lot of rooster tails, but hardly going as fast as on asphalt. We sold the car that day. I had raced briefly in box stock rigid axle in a Racecraft, but I was already approaching 12, and the little kids were running all over me. I moved to pit crew and helped dad with Mike's car.

We bought the first two cars, shown on the trailer in San Francisco in 1959 or 1960. They were both box stock rigid cars. We later bought the B Mod, but I cannot remember what make it was. If anyone can tell me the models of these cars that would be great. We towed them back to Richardson Texas behind a 36 hp Volkswagon Camper bus with 5 people in it. When we stopped at a motel to get showers, we took down the cars and gave an impromptu exhibition and free rides to the other kids in the parking lot.

post-3-1332423530.jpg

The next to the last picture is of myself, in 1955, sitting on the rear wheel of the winning Indy car - the John Zinc Special. Getting to sit in that car at 5 years old was quite a treat. I never thought at the time I would ever race a car myself. I have fond memories of Garland, and the races, and my first date with one of the race dad's daughters, Carolyn Hodges, at a De Molay dance. Thanks, Carolyn, for teaching me to dance, and for not making me feel foolish doing it.

post-3-1332423562.jpg

post-3-1332423582.jpg

post-3-1332423601.jpg

Note: Detail from above pic

post-3-1332423641.jpg

post-3-1332423654.jpg

• 3 months later...

PJ and all our followers,

Sorry, its been awhile since I have been on the threads and my apologies..

My business has demanded much of my time lately.

The photos are awesome and bring back such memories of long ago. The photos posted above appear to be the Grand Prarie Track based on my memory and looks very familiar.

The # 43 is a Racecraft from what I can tell. The 44 is a little hard to see but the nose portion looks to be close to a Moss Midjet.

Am I correct? If not refresh me..

Look at that Roadster!

Great stuff!

Danny,

Might think of making a new mold out of the last Pacemaker body..

I will be the first to buy a shelling of the mold, seriously.

I would like to build a replica of my once owned Pacer!!

At least you would now have a mould to go with the shelled body.

Any other spare parts?

Have been very busy building Hot Rods and doing an occasional race week end as a tuner for National level shifter Kart racing and just have not dropped by! For that I am very Sorry!

Spent Fathers Day with Dad at the LA Roadsters Show & Swap and saw a fair amount of Vintage 1/4 midgets for sale in the Swap. Some Speedways and a Viking Craft but no Pacemakers. Got Dad enthused in building a new Pacemaker replica to display in my shop and checked Ebay last week and low & behold there is a guy selling Dads old molds for the standard car and the roadster. The big deal for me was the box of brand new grills that came with them! I bid on them and WON and it just so happens the guy is in my brother Steve's town in Michigan. WOW!

So here is the plan! Dad & I are going to build a frame fixture for both models and start by making a NEW Pacemaker #1 and also making a NEW Pacemaker Roadster #1 which was called the Orange Crate and driven by Jeff Haywood.

They will be period correct in every way and could be ran for exhibition. If anyone is interested in a kit or a roller now is the time to step up!

Danny Ruth

post-11645-1341005804.jpg

San Antonio 1960

The photo below was taken from a far distance and I have tried to edit and focus the photos the best I could

On the very first page of this thread are shots from San Antonio and this one was recently found to add to the event.

This is the starting line up and the first 4 midgets are Pacemakers with the one on the pole #4 winning this event.

Directly behind him is myself in #85 and beside me is Doug McBride.

Behind Doug is Denny Burton and not seen on the inside of Denny and directly behind me was Larry Schild.

Maybe Doug can come on board and refresh my memory of the car and driver on the outside front row.

post-3-1341267721.jpg

post-3-1341267746.jpg

The pole setter had set the fasted time and was very fast in the feature race which he took honors..

I started third and finished in the same position..

'B Modified Feature - Rod Green Winner

post-3-1341267761.jpg

Hello...found this post..thanks for all the old pictures and articles. Saw my name mentioned in this clipping. I raced the #55 a red Walhborg. We raced for 3 seasons at the Joskes Las Palmas track starting in 1957 when I was 8yo. One time we went to Laredo for a club race and I won. Another time I think in 1958 we had a race at the old Pan American racetrack (1/4 mile) on Austin Highway... at intermission. Seems like it took forever to make a lap at 35mph..but what I great memory.

I will try to attach some pictures. Hope it works. Regards, Wayne Avant

post-3-1341455447.jpg

post-3-1341455576.jpg

Wayne,

How I wish I could go back one more time not only in the Quarter Midgets but time itself!

This is awesome and what great memories this brings back as to youth. It has to be one of the best times in America when I look at all the stuff going on the world today.

Thanks for sharing the photos and do keep us book marked and visit again!

Love the 50ees! :rolleyes:

So here is the plan! Dad & I are going to build a frame fixture for both models and start by making a NEW Pacemaker #1 and also making a NEW Pacemaker Roadster #1 which was called the Orange Crate and driven by Jeff Haywood.

They will be period correct in every way and could be ran for exhibition. If anyone is interested in a kit or a roller now is the time to step up!

Danny Ruth

Danny,

Count me in and keep me posted!

Midget 85

Hey Bruce! I remember the track at Scholes Field, played on it with go carts in the mid sixties. Some of it was still there not too long ago. My dad, John McKinney, raced SCCA there, and played with go carts out by the old hanger where Moody Gardens is now. By the time I was three (1964), dad had me driving out there. We still live right around the corner from the airport at 69th & Heards Ln. Stop by some time if you see the garage open. Mike Plowman has two 1/4 midgets, one pretty good, one not so good, but I can't talk him out of either one of them!

David,

Are you any kin to Jimmy McKinney?

And Mike Plowman..any kin to Joe Plowman?

Nope, no relation to Jimmy but we were friends. My dad, John McKinney, built some of Joe's stuff, like the modified body in 1967. We lived only a few blocks away. By the way, Joe did cut that car up as was reported on an earlier post, but not for scrap-it became his Super Modified cut-down. Mike is Joe's oldest son. We're back running Dwarf Cars at Battleground, with Mike driving.

post-3-1341856948.jpg