We need a good truck showing

firemdk

just thought i would tone in on this although i said (to my wife)i wouldnt.

anyone who bought a race car, truck, motorcycle, etc. etc. etc. and thought they would win enough money to pay for there hobby is crazy. go get a bass boat, a truck to pull it to the water, all the gear, etc. etc. etc. and see how much food you could buy. bass = $500.00 per pound.

the moral to this is there is no way you can do any of the above without some cash or some sponsors.

thanks for your time. see yas at the track.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The opinions expressed are the sole opinions of the writer and do not reflect opinions of THR, HMP, USRA, ARTS, Pro Trucks, CCMS, Texaco, Exxon, Valero, BP, Holiday Inn, Hilton, Embassy Suites, Durry Inn, Econolodge, La Quinta or TXSZ.com

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cameron is absolutely dead on! If when we came back from HMP we weren't "upside down" in our "racing business", we would be there in a heartbeat! But since NOBODY can guarantee a car count (and I don't trust people that say they will show up) I am not THROWING our money away for a hobby when we can use it to pay bills. If anyone would like to sponsor us to go to HMP, please let us know.

The more stuff like this I see, the more I like the Sprint Series of Texas and their Racesavers rules and payouts. In just 3 yrs they have over 36 cars that show up to race. And that was even considering there were two other sprint car series running in the area, along with tons of modifieds. They must be doing something right.

It's very frustrating trying to put together a racing series. It's not for the fainthearted, that's for sure. Having been on the inside of several series, I can say that almost every series director I have ever worked with over the years have felt exactly as you do. Feeling unappreciated for what they are trying to do. Feeling like giving up. Feeling like they are wasting their time trying to do something for people who are not only ungrateful, but actively try to subvert the series if things don't go their way...

Sound familiar?

A few points:

1) Series that are run by the racers rarely succeed. They may start out all unified, but it isn't long before the internal struggles for power emerge. Those series that don't fall apart right away, die a gradual death when the more powerful/dominant/better funded teams take over and make rules to their advantage.

2) The only way a new series can succeed is for someone to take absolute control. They make the all rules. They make all the calls. They obtain the race dates and make the schedule. They take care of the finances. Any other way rarely works for long.

3) Whoever takes charge and runs the series will not be able to eat lunch with his/her former racing buddies for years to come. The minute you make a decision that goes contrary to someone's wishes, you're off their Christmas list. Period. Don't think so? Try it and see.

4) Whoever takes charge must have alligator hide for skin. Constant criticism is the only constant in this game.

5) Unless it was the business plan from day one, the series director must not finance the series from his/her back pocket. It's sooo tempting to fund the purse yourself when a sponsor fails to come through as promised. It's sooo tempting to go purchase that durometer, dB meter, Referee, P & G pump, etc, to "make the series better." If the series can't make it on it's own, no sense in even starting it up.

I know most of this sounds pretty negative, but there are those who can pull this thing off. Just look at Neil Upchurch and/or the France family. Don't believe either has ever won a popularity contest, but you can't argue with their success.

Nick

Nick, let's not forget to mention how great the pay is for all this work.

post-1147-1191881734.gif

post-1147-1191881734.gif

post-1147-1191881734.gif

post-1147-1191881734.gif

:blink:

I know most of this sounds pretty negative, but there are those who can pull this thing off. Just look at Neil Upchurch and/or the France family. Don't believe either has ever won a popularity contest, but you can't argue with their success.

Absolutely, Nick. I think what we have can be good. There are several trucks in the Houston area not being raced if they came out to race plus those who were there this weekend. That would be 10 trucks... minus any others that came.

I think everything can be good, we just need to give it time... what the trucks have is similar to the IMCA thing. We can go to either track and be legal, this can be a good foundation.

Maybe my rant earlier was misconstrued but I really think this is just a result of all the change. I don't want to change anything, 75% off the backgate is fine but changing things now would make it worse.

i don't have the patience required for fishing.........and i've never been good at pimping myself out for a sponsors buck.

-a simple set purse seems like all a majority wants to hear.

somewhere lost in all this someone said 'yall produce a race sponsor' ?????? that kills me. that shows lack of support from the string puller running the series if he is dependent on the drivers to set their own purse. this is not club racing.

thaks for the icons markcs.

I thought[ about butting up a $ 50 a race to the trucks for long hauler because off all the controversy but heck I woulld win it every week so whats the point .their is no money to make in racing .Most people do it for the love off racing.Back in the sixties at thunder bird speedway everybody got to complanie about the purse so jt said if you don't like the purse you can race for watermelons. Guess what people got tierd of not racing and started showing up. then he started paying the purse. my point is the track owers took the chance most with thier life savings to give us a place to race..Not just for us but to make a living ,this is also their job.we have two asphalt tracks in texas just holding on.Lets support both tracks .If were in racing to make money,we are in the wrong business.Yes a good purse to help support our racing woulld be nice. the only way this is going to happen is the car count come up paying customer in the stands .Their not just fans but customers.The trucks are good clas that is why i bougth one also one off the cheapest form off racing I have ever been invoiled in.The count at hmp will grow in time .The more we try to fix it the worst it will get, lets leave it alone it will grow .

THis is just a opininion.not intended towards no one

I thought[ about butting up a $ 50 a race to the trucks for long hauler because off all the controversy but heck I woulld win it every week so whats the point .their is no money to make in racing .Most people do it for the love off racing.Back in the sixties at thunder bird speedway everybody got to complanie about the purse so jt said if you don't like the purse you can race for watermelons. Guess what people got tierd of not racing and started showing up. then he started paying the purse. my point is the track owers took the chance most with thier life savings to give us a place to race..Not just for us but to make a living ,this is also their job.we have two asphalt tracks in texas just holding on.Lets support both tracks .If were in racing to make money,we are in the wrong business.Yes a good purse to help support our racing woulld be nice. the only way this is going to happen is the car count come up paying customer in the stands .Their not just fans but customers.The trucks are good clas that is why i bougth one also one off the cheapest form off racing I have ever been invoiled in.The count at hmp will grow in time .The more we try to fix it the worst it will get, lets leave it alone it will grow .

THis is just a opininion.not intended towards no one

JT would be the perfect example of what Nick was talking about. I've never seen anyone cussed so often about so many things. I would go up to the pay window with my dad and/or uncle and while I didn't cuss him ( I would have got my butt kicked by my dad or uncle) they sure did along with every other racer. But I also saw JT reach into his billfold many times and just give a racer $20 (that was a lot back then) if they didn't place in the money.

JT's wife Geneva was my first boss. Talk about a cool job for a kid. Free admission saved my dad $3 (that was a lot back then too) and we worked the concession stand all through the heats and then she gave us the rest of the night off to watch the feature.

that shows lack of support from the string puller running the series

Who is "the string puller"? I think is the largest issue. Is there a series director? Is there even a series spokesman? If so, step up organize the truck owners and do the job. If not, you seem to have a willing guy in firemdk. Has anyone stepped up LATELY other than him.

I know Rusty tried to set something up earlier this year, but it didn't work out for many reasons. It seems some of the people who didn't like that effort are now gone.

I don't know any of you guys but it is pretty easy to see some are upset over what has transpired over the last couple years. I have seen much more criticism than support. Working together doesn't neccesarily mean you sold out!

Now, moving forward who is the next "Rusty".

not against a series just seems to many owners and drivers going in to many directions.everybody keeps calling it a series first you have to a oraganization to have a series.sorry I don,t see that here I just see ,mainly two groups one group getting trucks the other group trying .I think we should compllement the ones that are trieing. personnally a organations by drivers and owners will not work. nick is rigth .It,s has to be somebody outside hey how about nick .Dont know the answers just suggestions.How about all the trucks getting together and showing up at hmp one time and at thr one timme see what happends get the trucks out the garage not complain about the purse are the travel cost. hell I pull from dallas I should be the one complaining.I like asphalt shoot I got six dirt track with in 45 minunets from my house . sorry about the spellin stayed up wacth the cow pocks.

It would be nice to see everone show up to support the MDA race in November

could not ask for anything better good cause help mda lets show everybody what we are made off ,get the trucks out lets go race for a good cause

Trust me, I would be there because I'd rather race for a cause any day, but I already serve for a cause at TMS that weekend. It is after THR's last race and I would go to HMP but the schedules just don't work. Sorry

Firemdk, I agree, just give up and go do your own thing! HMP appreciates your support.

It is because of racers with a know it all arrogance such as that exemplified by Crazyhorse that the previous owner of HMP closed the track indefinitely. This was after investing several million dollars building the facility to what it is. He was past the planning and into the permitting stage of having it leveled to build a large townhouse apartment complex. Made good business sense at the time with 7 schools within a short distance and no apartment complexes to be found.

The Baker brothers spent several months trying to get him to agree to sell them the race park. It is a good thing that Graham refuses to get on TXSZ because of all the negativity. He has more passion about racing than all of us combined.

As everyone is aware, there were 5 asphalt oval short tracks operating in Texas earlier this year and now there are TWO. Maybe the ones that shut down should have followed Crazyhorse’s business strategy. Oh wait, they did, and that is why they are no longer in business.

If Rusty really had sponsors to cover most of the purse for the truck races at HMP and THR, do you think Graham and Mary Ann would have turned him down? Empty promises and pipe dreams by promoters have put many series and tracks out of business.

Crazyhorse, seeing how you know so much about how to successfully operate a short track from set purses, tire brands, scheduling touring events, etc. and Mary Ann and the Bakers are making so much profit, why don’t you invest your money and buy HMP from the Bakers and prove to yourself and TXSZ how financially sound your opinions are. Of course, that might interfere with your 20 minute drive to your local race track. I would speculate that if HMP paid your gas, hotel, provided pay for your crew and guaranteed you show up money and a million dollar purse, you would still find some negative reason to stay within 20 minutes from your house.

Is it just me or does anyone else see through this self serving crap?

Firemdk, I agree, just give up and go do your own thing! HMP appreciates your support.

It is because of racers with a know it all arrogance such as that exemplified by Crazyhorse that the previous owner of HMP closed the track indefinitely. This was after investing several million dollars building the facility to what it is. He was past the planning and into the permitting stage of having it leveled to build a large townhouse apartment complex. Made good business sense at the time with 7 schools within a short distance and no apartment complexes to be found.

The Baker brothers spent several months trying to get him to agree to sell them the race park. It is a good thing that Graham refuses to get on TXSZ because of all the negativity. He has more passion about racing than all of us combined.

As everyone is aware, there were 5 asphalt oval short tracks operating in Texas earlier this year and now there are TWO. Maybe the ones that shut down should have followed Crazyhorse’s business strategy. Oh wait, they did, and that is why they are no longer in business.

If Rusty really had sponsors to cover most of the purse for the truck races at HMP and THR, do you think Graham and Mary Ann would have turned him down? Empty promises and pipe dreams by promoters have put many series and tracks out of business.

Crazyhorse, seeing how you know so much about how to successfully operate a short track from set purses, tire brands, scheduling touring events, etc. and Mary Ann and the Bakers are making so much profit, why don’t you invest your money and buy HMP from the Bakers and prove to yourself and TXSZ how financially sound your opinions are. Of course, that might interfere with your 20 minute drive to your local race track. I would speculate that if HMP paid your gas, hotel, provided pay for your crew and guaranteed you show up money and a million dollar purse, you would still find some negative reason to stay within 20 minutes from your house.

Is it just me or does anyone else see through this self serving crap?

Rusty's truck race paid more purse money then you have this year.

John,

Thank you for the kind words. I will continue to support HMP becasuse of people like you and Graham. You guys keep doing what you do and the rest of us will support you.

C.

If Rusty's race was so sucessful why was there only one?

Mr Houston Motorsports Park

For your information Shawn did run at Houston and every other track that the trucks ran at when there was a series (and he knew what to expect going to the race). I beleive alot of those were farther than 20 miles from home. I can tell with attitude and how professional your post is that you are really wanting to invite drivers to your track. I don't think that you will find a family that wants to keep the truck series going more than ours.

Cheryl James

I think it is a bad idea that a track rep gets involved in this arguement, but John is right about a lot. I spoke with Rusty and his wife earlier this year and they were upset that HMP was going to run a local class. A local class that was scheduled before Rusty's series. I offered to help them get a couple of Dirt dates at Willis. With the price of gas, no one wants to travel too far. There was some drivers that wanted to run at the local tracks. A few wanted to travel. I was called told by several drivers that they were asked not to run at HMP because THEY screwed up the series. I guess it was a boycott. True or not true, you guys chose not to race at HMP and they were the only track that gave you a place to race at full time. HMP originally scheduled the races to NOT interfere with USRA, which there were 3 races that did, and they let them off those nights. After USRA folded, HMP placed them on full time, adding the other 2 dates. I have been on here encouraging you guys to get something done. I would consider going to a truck if you did, but only to run local since I can't travel. NO ONE will step up and do so, instead you all act like a bunch of kindergardners who missed snack and nap time. I want to see the trucks run 15-20 cars a night as much as anyone else. I have been involved in a series myself in the past. I don't envy anyone that does do it. I will help anyone who does, but I say to all of you, QUITCHA BEECHING and get something done. My suggestion to Graham and HMP, drop the trucks. Run them if they are a series and they come to you with a schedule. Good luck to everyone, see you in a couple of weeks.

Arthur

Cheryl

Look at the posts and see all the negativity going towards HMP. It was only a matter of time that he came on and defended himself. He may have gone about it the wrong way, but you can only take so much from so many negative people that refuse to help themselves. HMP DID go out and do something for the trucks, he put them on the schedule and gave them a place to race. They didn't come, so what do you expect them to do now??? John is as frustrated as all the truck guys I am sure.

John,

There are always a few that are negative by nature and very vocal about anything and everything.

I can assure you that the vast majority of us, and I mean like 99% of racers and fans and sponsors, are not negative about HMP and the Bakers. Most of us love HMP and believe that the Bakers (that includes you too, John!) are doing a great job.

Can HMP do a better job? Maybe, but so can 100% of the rest of us in whatever we undertake. We're all in the same motorsports boat here and all entirely human. Don't let the negative comments of a few malcontents sidetrack what you guys are doing - and, from the looks of things lately at HMP, you are doing a LOT of things right!

If the trucks don't want to support HMP, don't book 'em! They have lots of other options. Boat anchors, flower pots, cow pasture ornaments.. or run as a local class at THR.

Nick

Archived