We need a good truck showing

firemdk

Truck owner / drivers. We need a good showing to end the season right at HMP. It's going to be a blast, there going to fill the seats again and we can spur some interest in our class. Practice is Friday night so everyone can come out and make a trip out of it. I'm going to bring my grill so after practice we can all sit around the grill and plan next season and what we want to see.

I encourage everyone who can possibly scrape up the duckets to be there to do so. I don't want to see one of the two tracks we run take us off the schedule because we don't show up.

Arthrur, can you get ahold of mike and see if he's going to make it. If not maybe you can drive his truck.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok Rusty needs 500 to win to show up.

What will it take to get the others out on the 6th?

If you have a truck and are willing to race what will it take to get you there? Be reasonable and considerate. If you know someone who has a truck and doesn't come to TXSZ then call or contact them! Lets work together and see if it can happen! It seems as if the track owners are listening to the concerns of the drivers/owners (see HMP's post) so now is your chance!

I will call Mike, he was working on it and didn't have it done for the last race. He had a lot of work the week before the race, and went out of town the weekend before, so he wasn't able to get it together. He is trying to find the right setup. Get someone to bring a spare truck, and I will drive it!?!?!

Here is the math to pay $500 to win...

If HMP got 15 Trucks = 15 x $75=1125 x 75%=$843.75

If each driver gets 5 friends, crew, family, enemies, in-laws or etc. to come into pits...

5 pit passes x $25 = $125 x 15 trucks = $1875 x 75% = $1406.25

$1406.25 + $843.75 = $2250 Total Purse

1st = $500

2nd = $350

3rd = $200

4th - 15th = $100

The more people you bring into the pits with you the higher your purse will be. For each $25 pit pass, 75% of it goes towards the purse ($18.75). The total purse is up to the drivers.

The breakdown for the payouts can be adjusted if the majority of drivers would like the total purse divided differently.

At the beginning of 2007 season, there were 5 asphalt short tracks in Texas and now there are two that are both struggling to stay open. The three that closed didn't close because they made a profit and decided to retire.

Over the last few HMP meetings, the fans base has dramatically increased; however, many of them were free or drastically reduced admissions. In addition, a few people including some drivers and car owners have provided tremendous effort and support over the last few months to help promote the facility. We will continue to do this as long as we can and as long as support is there as a last ditch effort to increase interest in asphalt short track racing. The long term plan is that the stands remain full, the pits remain full and the purse payouts will increase. We are doing our best to make this happen but it requires support from all for success. We certainly understand the cost of traveling and running a race car. We hope you can understand the considerable cost of owning and operating the facility to give you a place to race. We sincerely hope that you will partner with us to make it a success for all involved.

Over the last few HMP meetings, the fans base has dramatically increased; however, many of them were free or drastically reduced admissions. In addition, a few people including some drivers and car owners have provided tremendous effort and support over the last few months to help promote the facility. .... The long term plan is that the stands remain full, the pits remain full and the purse payouts will increase. We are doing our best to make this happen but it requires support from all for success. ... We hope you can understand the considerable cost of owning and operating the facility to give you a place to race. We sincerely hope that you will partner with us to make it a success for all involved.

First of all, do not take any of my reply has negative. I'm only asking my questions and posing my comments due to my curiosity (being nosey?). I have the utmost respect, and I sincerely appreciate what Mr. Baker and his family have provided us. And I would also understand if they choose not to answer my questions.

When considering those “free or drastically reduced admission” fans, does HMP realize some profits from increased concession stand sales? (I’m assuming HMP retains a percentage from concession stand sales. Once again, an assumption. Maybe they lease the stands to outside vendors.).

And with those additional butts in the seats, even at a reduced rate, doesn’t the track's net intake for the night increase? I would think their operating expenses don’t change based on fan count. Or if they do, the change is minimal; thereby , lending to the ol’ something is better than nothing contribution towards the night’s take.

And in two of the better fan count nights (Houston Chronicle night and Fiesta night), is there monetary support supplied by that night’s “sponsor”? (Probably not a new idea, or possibly not even a feasible idea but what about selling naming rights for the track to some corporation? HMP could become “Apache Oil Motorports Park”.)

Anyway, like I said, just curious. And as one of those that has spent some Friday nights and Saturday afternoons out at local venues hawking the track, I’ll keep on trying to help out.

It was 14 trucks and I dont know because I havent gotten my check yet(pick it up at the track sat.), but with 9 trucks i recieved 350 to win. The 38 truck won with 13 trucks maybe he can chime in and let us know.

HMP- apparently you were lied to about the amount of trucks in the houston area, So why schedule so many races next year for the trucks. since the majority of the trucks race THR why not run the majority of the races there with like 4 or five HMP races and 10 to 12 THR races(depends on there schedule) with common points system. that would force any one running points to go there 4 or 5 times instead of 16 and if the count picks back up add more races to the 09 shcedule. Look the only person who wnated it to be a local class has sold his truck and moved, I believe every one else would like to see it run like tsrs even tho there are only 2 tracks left to travel to. I think you would generate more interest in the trucks with 4 or five races with 10-14 trucks than 16 races with 2 ro 5 trucks. Maybe you should have a truck meeting at houston and thr to find out what people want. I mean the 2 trucks that raced last time are pretty much the only two trucks that race both tracks without fail and only one of them is close to houston. I could be wrong but I think a format change for next year would help the truck count out there, but what do i know.

I personally believe that HMP is heading in the right direction . I also believe that the truck schedule should be changed like Rusty said, and make it one points deal, but Rusty, you need to organize it, get a schedule, a sponsor, and get started yesterday. I think both tracks will work with you to make it grow, but it is going to take someone else involved in the trucks to organize it.

One problem is, no one knows where HOUSTON MOTORSPORTS PARK in, but they do know where Big H was! HMP has the task of re-establishing its name. If HMP somehow incorporated Big H, or The NEW Big H, it would help a lot. I have met with THOUSANSDS of people this year while promotong the track, and 90% did not know where HMP was, of that 90%, more that 75% knew where Big H was(right next to Rio Bravo). Our goal this year was to go out and to let people know that Asphalt racing was not only on TV, they had a track in their back yard.

We will have a couple more promo's this year, but I am chasing points and have to make sure these last 3 races are perfect. Next year, regardless of what I race, I will do a lot of what I did this year to make sure that we have this track to race at. Although I may miss a race or 2 next year, I will do what needs to be done and I encourage anyone else who wants to help promote HMP to contact me, Graham, or John and go out and get er dun. I challenged everyone earlier in the year, that if every driver did one display near their home, the track would succeed and we would all benefit from it.

Good luck to everyone during the rest of the season, whatever or wherever you race.

I won't be racing til '08 but want to help. My company, Kelly Custom Graphics will throw in $25 on the purse for each position 1-5 for a total of $125.00. Who do I make the check to? HMP, PM me. Oh, and my companies are willing to help with the truck purse next season as I'm able to especially if there is some sort of series. We'll also have our 3 truck team ready for '08. :)

I personally believe that HMP is heading in the right direction . I also believe that the truck schedule should be changed like Rusty said, and make it one points deal, but Rusty, you need to organize it, get a schedule, a sponsor, and get started yesterday. I think both tracks will work with you to make it grow, but it is going to take someone else involved in the trucks to organize it.

In Rusty's defense, he did try to do exactly that at the beginning of this season.

I won't be racing til '08 but want to help. My company, Kelly Custom Graphics will throw in $25 on the purse for each position 1-5 for a total of $125.00. Who do I make the check to? HMP, PM me. Oh, and my companies are willing to help with the truck purse next season as I'm able to especially if there is some sort of series. We'll also have our 3 truck team ready for '08. :)

Thank you very much. We appreciate your support! It is people like you that are helping to keep short track racing alive in Texas. Please give Graham a call on his cell phone 281-924-7828 at your earliest convenience. Or if you prefer, just PM me back with your number and Graham will give you a call.

Sincerely,

John Mandabach

Over the last few HMP meetings, the fans base has dramatically increased; however, many of them were free or drastically reduced admissions. In addition, a few people including some drivers and car owners have provided tremendous effort and support over the last few months to help promote the facility. .... The long term plan is that the stands remain full, the pits remain full and the purse payouts will increase. We are doing our best to make this happen but it requires support from all for success. ... We hope you can understand the considerable cost of owning and operating the facility to give you a place to race. We sincerely hope that you will partner with us to make it a success for all involved.

First of all, do not take any of my reply has negative. I'm only asking my questions and posing my comments due to my curiosity (being nosey?). I have the utmost respect, and I sincerely appreciate what Mr. Baker and his family have provided us. And I would also understand if they choose not to answer my questions.

When considering those “free or drastically reduced admission” fans, does HMP realize some profits from increased concession stand sales? (I’m assuming HMP retains a percentage from concession stand sales. Once again, an assumption. Maybe they lease the stands to outside vendors.).

And with those additional butts in the seats, even at a reduced rate, doesn’t the track's net intake for the night increase? I would think their operating expenses don’t change based on fan count. Or if they do, the change is minimal; thereby , lending to the ol’ something is better than nothing contribution towards the night’s take.

And in two of the better fan count nights (Houston Chronicle night and Fiesta night), is there monetary support supplied by that night’s “sponsor”? (Probably not a new idea, or possibly not even a feasible idea but what about selling naming rights for the track to some corporation? HMP could become “Apache Oil Motorports Park”.)

Anyway, like I said, just curious. And as one of those that has spent some Friday nights and Saturday afternoons out at local venues hawking the track, I’ll keep on trying to help out.

One race meeting with full stands is not enough to assume that the ship is now afloat. HMP is keeping its head down, with the help of a few racers like yourself, to try to make sure the recent trend continues.

In Rusty's defense, he did try to do exactly that at the beginning of this season.

He sure did and worked hard too. I agree with Rusty too, I would have gone to Houston if there wasn't so many pts races there. 5 & 5 or 6 & 6 would be a pretty good schedule to me. My wife won't go for going racing every week, my bank would never go for it and I can't ask my crew to spend that much money when they do a lot of hard work just to watch me suck it up most weeks. And I would never leave my wife for anything and my crew are my best friends and I try and look out for them as best as I can.

I got $500 for my win with 13 trucks, and $325 for my win with 9 trucks. I told my wife I would try and race on just my winnings and so far so good. God gave me two wins because I can't get a sponsor. I guess I have bad teeth or bad breath or bad record or worse all of the above but even if I did get a sponsor and money wasn't a problem I can't spend 22 (16@HMP & 6@THR) weeks a year racing. I love racing, but I love my friends and family and some times it is just nice to do what they want to do.

Ask Terry Barden, he's enjoying his grandson's baseball games, but I'm sure he still loves racing.

He sure did and worked hard too. I agree with Rusty too, I would have gone to Houston if there wasn't so many pts races there. 5 & 5 or 6 & 6 would be a pretty good schedule to me. My wife won't go for going racing every week, my bank would never go for it and I can't ask my crew to spend that much money when they do a lot of hard work just to watch me suck it up most weeks. And I would never leave my wife for anything and my crew are my best friends and I try and look out for them as best as I can.

I got $500 for my win with 13 trucks, and $325 for my win with 9 trucks. I told my wife I would try and race on just my winnings and so far so good. God gave me two wins because I can't get a sponsor. I guess I have bad teeth or bad breath or bad record or worse all of the above but even if I did get a sponsor and money wasn't a problem I can't spend 22 (16@HMP & 6@THR) weeks a year racing. I love racing, but I love my friends and family and some times it is just nice to do what they want to do.

Ask Terry Barden, he's enjoying his grandson's baseball games, but I'm sure he still loves racing.

Amen Brother, see ya sat.

Speeddemon , I did exactly that had sponsors lined up schedule all filled and agreed upon and then the commitie told graham that they wanted to be a local series (terry Mcoul in particular) so graham told me that is what he was going to do and pulled the race dates I had negotiated with him and then THR followed suit. Go figure all I asked for was 75% of the back gate to help pay the purse, pretty much like it is now except there woulda been some one to promote the series(me). there are just way to many classes for the tracks to be able to get sponsor money for the old usra series and there regular classes plus sas cars just has to be overwhelming. the trucks and mods need a head of state to work just for them or they are never going to grow.

Let's get all the truck owners in one place. I will help to promote a traveling schedule for next year but we have to split the dates between houston and THR not 15 events at thr and 5 in houston, it costs us just as much to travel there as it does for the other owners to travel to houston. Let's make a schedule, we'll get some sponsors and put their names on our trucks and haulers and maybe get Mary Ann to help promote the event. We'll call it the "Texas Super Truck Series" and we'll do all the races we can but schedule them realistically and not over schedule and make it rough. Also, we'll make a points fund that is worth running the races for.

Any takers?

Rusty,

I know you did, and I worked with your wife to get a dirt race in Willis. What I am saying, is do what you did then, but do it now. Don't give up. If you do it now, work with Mary Ann and Graham, set a schedule, do a race with NASA at Texas World to spice it up. The truck class didn't work at HMP, and if you propose what you did last year to Graham now, he may consider it. You already have what you need, just get the ball rolling again. Terry McCoul wasn't the only driver that wanted the trucks. Before the 2006 season, there was a bunch of drivers that wanted to run every week at HMP instead of USRA, but Graham already had 8 classes. He did away with one LM class and added the trucks. Your differences with HMP need to be put aside and YOU need to get this going. I say YOU because I think you are one of the few that can make this work. If I can help in anyway, I will, just let me know.

sorry but the 31 trk will not be there. family 1st. racing a real close second (as long as its ok with the family ). actually my wife says go race but me supporting my daughter is more important. hope yall understand, this is the 1st race on both schedules that i will have missed. see yas later in the month.

Archived