We need a good truck showing

firemdk

5 showed in houston and we had a great time.

I'm not going to mention any names but I'm going to try and make my point where nick won't edit it out.

It's because of certain B.S Redneck attitude like it's all about me and if the promoter doesn't do it just the way I want then forget about him. These people pay the money to keep the lights on. Graham Baker and his family put on a great show at a great facility as does Mary Ann and they both work very hard to give us a place to race. Graham said a touring series is fine with him. He said to give him the dates that we would like to run there and we'll be in the show. He just mentioned that their policy is not to have 2 traveling series there on the same night. He said there are other series that would like to come there and he has made the same rule to them.

We need to not worry so much about the what are they going to do for me attitude. We need to focus on the fact that we have 2 very nice tracks that are willing to put us on their schedule and give us a place to race. Why don't we support both promoters and support our class. Hey, I had just as much fun racing against 5 people as I would have against 10 or more, the only people that are going to lose out are the whiners that feel they are so high and mighty that their going to sit back and wait for their perfect deal. Let me tell ya folks, been racing for nears 20 years in all classes and that deal ain't comin'. You have to take what we have and make it better by putting the work into it. If we show up to HMP with 20 trucks we have some leverage on asking for certain things, but if we show up with 2-5 then we are not taken seriously as I wouldn't if I was the promoter.

My suggestion is that we quit the whining and go racing. Let's show both tracks that we are a serious class, If people still want a touring series I think that's great, we just can't do it on TSRS nights.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whose got the 'what are you gonna do for me attitude' ? i'm not the one that just bought a truck and am begging for others to help me support it.

you keep asking people to bring their trucks to HMP , but then when you were asked about bringing your truck to the last THR race you had some'B.S." excuse? in my best "redneck",,,,,,,,,,what's good for tha gander?

i guess you are right,,,,,graham's way of running the trucks has been soooooooo sucessful sooo far nobody else should have an opinion on next year and the trucks.

-and you telling people what they should be doing with their trucks , i told you once everything is for sale,,,,you wanna tell me where to run - shoot me a pm and i'll throw ya a price.

the biggest whiner in this whole deal has been you crying about other people not bringing trucks. maybe it's time for a certain promoter and one know it all new to the trucks driver to pi@$ on their on egos and start being open minded to suggestions instead of just trying to label them as whining.

- that's my suggestion.

ps- nick i'm still looking for that icon flipping the bird?

If these guys don't have fun under the current rules or format then why would they run. I don't know any of the facts because I don't run the series but I know that when it was ran buy the Garrett's (spelling) there were alot of trucks at every race and the guys seemed to have FUN.

Crazy, let me make one thing perfectly clear. I don't need anyone to help support my racing. I fund my racing strictly out of pocket and don't have any problem doing so. I plan on running every event next season at THR as I can so don't tell me that I'm begging people to come out and support my racing. The series as a whole went to Graham and asked if they could be on the schedule for this season since SAS closed. I as a racer found a series that had a good class and went and bought a truck to be a part of that class. Now for some reason the THR trucks and the HMP trucks have this what ever it is thing going on. The bottom line is someone is going to organize the class for next season and there are going to be dates set as either 2 separate classes running at THR & HMP or a single series running both tracks with dates set by whom ever steps up and does it. My suggestion is that people get off their duff's and make some suggestions. I would love to run a split schedule with about 16 races with 8 at THR and 8 at HMP. I would like to get some opinion and see what people are interested in. If someone else wants to do it then great, step up and lets get it done but without any other b.S lets just get it done so we all have a series next year

we make suggestions,,,,like the tsrs/truck schedule, like the set purse.....to a HUGE no to any and all suggestions we make.......and then you ask for more suggestions , and call it whining , or high and mighty , or redneck BS , when we we say oh well.

it's turned into a 'his way or the highway' deal.

we will run thunderhill.......without a set purse and different tire , we will stay at THR. HMP is a sweet track,but we can't afford the gamble on the purse when we are buying a seperate tires from what i'm already buying for the superstock.

As for the purse, it's dependent on your participation just like at THR

Right...that is why they aren't coming. When only 3 or 4 trucks have been running up there they know it's gonna be a loss to go. I know the track doesn't want to guarantee a decent purse when they see it's gonna lose $$, so this will continue until something changes. Someone has to get a "series" type of a deal started and work with the tracks...or did that already happen???

trucks at both tracks are going to run the goodyear so you won't have to buy a separate tire for HMP and THR.

that's part of my point ,,,,,nobody wants them.

.........my superstock don't run on goodyears , and one or the other would have to rely on take offs.

the purse at THR is alot easier to handle if it is shallow because i only drove 20 minutes to the track , kinda like you for HMP...................am i making any kind of sense?

marc,,,,,,,please , the head hitting the brick wall icon.

My point all along is that we are trying to get a touring series format down. What I need from the owners is an agreement on how many trucks will commit to how many races. I think to make it fair to all we need to split the races. If we can commit to x amount of trucks for each event then we can figure what our purse is going to be overall. We can set a pay out schedule to the tracks and let them know how the particpants want to be paid out.

What I can do is put out a tentative schedule and have people make comments on it, then I can send it to the tracks once everyone has had a chance to weigh in.

What I can do is put out a tentative schedule and have people make comments on it, then I can send it to the tracks once everyone has had a chance to weigh in.

You need to race or promote, there are always issues and when people do both those issues multiply.

Example, tires, why goodyears, because that's what's best for you. The THR guys probably would rather run Hoosiers at both tracks. Why do you assume they need to comprimise and run goodyears?

Why does everyone seem to not like the Goodyear tires?

Good thing about them is that they last. we run over 400+ laps on them before changing the right sides.

and the last truck race you could see that a truck could hit almost everything on the track and not get a flat.

the bad you cant find a set with any stagger and the supply at least at THR is very limited we had to run someone's pull offs last race. they also made the trucks about a half second slower. so you either run the Goodyears and save money or you run the hoosier and gain lap time. I'm for saving money and to be honest changing tires every year is getting old.

Well, heres the deal. If you guys form a series, you guys pic the tires. I ran the 970's last year, Goodyear this year. I think the Goodyears are by far a better, longer lasting tire. That is my opinion. I think 6 - 7 races in Houston and 8-9 at THR would be good, based on the amount of trucks in the area. I think the track will give you 75% of the back gate and you guys need to get a sponsor to put up the rest. Gurantee $500 to win, and $100 to start. A series sponsor gets their name on ALL trucks, like Remax does on the Arca cars. Quit arguing about it and get things rolling, otherwise there will be no trucks in Houston next year, maybe no trucks period. I like the trucks, the fans like the trucks. Hell, Dale likes the trucks. Get the ball rolling.

Arthur

If you have an issue with the tire talk to the tech people. I did not choose the tire, I did not make the rules I am just trying to get some dates set. I have a preference to a certain tire that is much cheaper (less than 100 per tire) that is the same compound as the goodyear, will run as long and save money, but that is upto the track promoters and tech people

you cant post a schedule up here and really expect to get anything settled by the 08 season and if you prepare the schedule you better be ready to supply a purse and I dont care what tire as long as it is not a retread or a pull-off. So if you are not prepared to run a series then its better just left up to the tracks and once again I cant stress enough the more races at HMP the less likely to get trucks, and since you apparently got the money more races at THR shouldnt be an issue for you.

so you guys expect everyone else to travel and add the cost so you just have to roll into your back yard. You know, I give up. Let the class fall on it's a$$. I'll travel louisiana and mississippi and run with people who just want to race and not whine. Y'all just do what you want. I give up

so you guys expect everyone else to travel and add the cost so you just have to roll into your back yard. You know, I give up. Let the class fall on it's a$$. I'll travel louisiana and mississippi and run with people who just want to race and not whine. Y'all just do what you want. I give up

It's not that we want the trucks to fall on there @#$. the fact is that more truck owners live in central / north Texas and why should we all have to pay the $300-$400 to drive down there get a hotel Ect. when we got a track up here and more trucks to boot maybe you should have thought about that before buying a truck. we made a suggestions on when our team and apparently others would like to race but Mr Baker don't see it that way. So you take your ball and go play some were else cause I wont miss you I don't even know you.

I just want to point out some economic changes that have changed how I really look at traveling for racing.

I joined the USRA/ART trucks series in 2005, gas was around $1.25 and I complained it was high. May 14th, 2005 we raced in Corpus. We pulled down there and for $70 in gas we went down there and back.

Later on July 30th, 2005 we went back to CCMS and gas had jump to $2.05 (still cheap :angry: ) I complained about the $115 dollars in travel gas the whole weekend. That same haul today would cost around $160 dollars for me to make. USRA paid well and I was always patient enough to let all the fast guys crash out and so I finished well enough to eat a lot of costs.

But that's just fuel...

There has also been one of the fastest price increases in hotel stays in the last 3 years than ever before. Some places have seen 12% PER YEAR price increases.

My point in all of this is maybe this was part of the demise of USRA car counts, but people were also pissed off and blamed it on differences from USRA. Remember car counts started dropping late in the 2005 season which corresponded with the rising prices.

Another point I'd like to make about the schedule is that in 2004 the ARTS schedule had THR on there 7 times of the 14 races. The truck series was scheduled in Houston just twice in 2004, that's part of the reason why I bought a truck is because we raced at home (for me.) Even in 2005 we only actually raced at HMP 3 times in that 12 race schedule. (Several were canceled because of rain)

I'm not saying a compromise can't be worked out, but like Mr. Crazy (believe me he is) and others have said, it is cheaper to run in our home track than in a far away distant land and as luck would have it that is where the truck counts are which also provides for nice payouts. It is just how fate would have it... the answer might very well be to have two different Pro Truck LOCAL series. Guys with money can race both guys like me can race one and then the other sometimes.

I want to be the first person to save all the race tracks in Texas. I want to say, "Ask not what your track can do for you, ask what you can do for your track!" But I am business minded too just like the tracks are and I lose money doing racing just like the tracks do and I can't race 16 races a year, I don't have the money but I race for fun when I can, cut corners where I can and realize I'm not trying to get to NASCAR. Sometimes the best thing to do is change with the times or fade away with time.

Whew sorry this was so long...

The opinions expressed are the sole opinions of the writer and do not reflect opinions of THR, HMP, USRA, ARTS, Pro Trucks, CCMS, Texaco, Exxon, Valero, BP, Holiday Inn, Hilton, Embassy Suites, Durry Inn, Econolodge, La Quinta or TXSZ.com

Cameron Moore Jr

#38 Truck Driver

I live in a house with 4 women. My wife 47, 28, 21, 14 year old girls. When they start whining and complaining it begins to escalate and I call it an "ESTRO-FEST" (Copyright © 2007 Whitey inc.). They got nothing on some of you guys. Good luck on ever getting anything solved.

WORK TOGETHER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

This post was meant to be humorous! Any similarities to people living or dead is 100% intentional. While content may actually reflect my feelings, I say it jokingly hoping to lighten the tone of this thread a little.

It's very frustrating trying to put together a racing series. It's not for the fainthearted, that's for sure. Having been on the inside of several series, I can say that almost every series director I have ever worked with over the years have felt exactly as you do. Feeling unappreciated for what they are trying to do. Feeling like giving up. Feeling like they are wasting their time trying to do something for people who are not only ungrateful, but actively try to subvert the series if things don't go their way...

Sound familiar?

A few points:

1) Series that are run by the racers rarely succeed. They may start out all unified, but it isn't long before the internal struggles for power emerge. Those series that don't fall apart right away, die a gradual death when the more powerful/dominant/better funded teams take over and make rules to their advantage.

2) The only way a new series can succeed is for someone to take absolute control. They make the all rules. They make all the calls. They obtain the race dates and make the schedule. They take care of the finances. Any other way rarely works for long.

3) Whoever takes charge and runs the series will not be able to eat lunch with his/her former racing buddies for years to come. The minute you make a decision that goes contrary to someone's wishes, you're off their Christmas list. Period. Don't think so? Try it and see.

4) Whoever takes charge must have alligator hide for skin. Constant criticism is the only constant in this game.

5) Unless it was the business plan from day one, the series director must not finance the series from his/her back pocket. It's sooo tempting to fund the purse yourself when a sponsor fails to come through as promised. It's sooo tempting to go purchase that durometer, dB meter, Referee, P & G pump, etc, to "make the series better." If the series can't make it on it's own, no sense in even starting it up.

I know most of this sounds pretty negative, but there are those who can pull this thing off. Just look at Neil Upchurch and/or the France family. Don't believe either has ever won a popularity contest, but you can't argue with their success.

Nick

Archived