A Subject Seemingly Totally Ignored

Budman

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everybody's missing the point. We're talking about marketing, and trying to "sell" a modified to an uninformed but hopefully receptive group of potential fans whose only expectation is that racing cars look like what they see on NASCAR telecasts is difficult because, to those potential fans, the modified cars are ugly. Worse, the new audience can't relate to them.

But how do you know unless you try it? <_< In reality, I think you would have a whole new untapped fan base to draw from.

As has been pointed out countless times......dirt tracks fill the stands!!!! Do you really think they come out to watch old(usually well beat up) stocks, bombers, etc? Not that they don't but they aren't the "star" attraction.

Personally I think It might be YOU missing the point, but what do I know, I'm just an.......oh hell nevermind, I'll go preach to the choir. <_<

In another post someone asked why aren't some guys running, Kenny gave a very good explantion regarding race procedure, time, etc. I know at one time the "all involved" rule was the culprit according to drivers I spoke with. They got tired of that and where are they now, running dirt mods.

Again I'll ask, WHY do race cars have to look like street cars???????? The NA$CAR arguement doesn't fly with me, they haven't looked like street cars since, what, late 70's, early 80's? And they certainly don't nowdays!!!!!!!!!!!

Nathan, let me explain to you how it works. The reason you haven't heard anybody say dirt mods are ugly is because on a Friday or Saturday night in the pits at a dirt track all the guys are there telling each other how "bad-ass" this car looks or that car looks until it gets to the point everybody standing around there comes to actually believe these cars a good looking. Its a matter of perception.

I've certainly heard they are ugly before. Its NOT just MY opinion. Its NOT an OLD way of thinking or a YOUNG way of thinking, its a DIFFERENT way of thinking, from an outside perspective. Its a REAL WORLD way of thinking from outside the inner circle of drivers and crews.

I have been in the stands for the last three years. I have been taken time off to let my daughter grow up. My statement is based on talking not only with people at the track but others that have never been a race that wasn't nascar. I haven't heard anyone say the cars are ugly. I have personally never seen an ugly race car. also my statement on about "old way of thinking" was aimed toward nascar not anyone person.

Budman I do apologize if in anyway I offended you that was not my intenion. I like Kenny and many other racers are passionate about our cars and sport. I race dirt for the price and excitement. as I believe all asphalt racers do too. If I did offend you again I apologize!!!! I will no longer comment on this subject because it is not my intent to offended anyone on this site. I am very passionate about dirt racing and hope to Budman and eveyone at texas thunder these last two weekends. I will be there in the stands watching as I work on rebuilding my car to get it ready for me to make a return to the dirt. :)

I do not believe the wrapper on the product is what sells it. I think the average racefan does not care what the cars look like as long as the racing is close, there is suspense and a little controversy. However, all three of these entertainment values are exactly what a racecar driver does not want.

Lawn mower racing is a very good example of this. This afternoon I flipped on the TV and The Speed Channel had this very sport on. These machines look nothing like my mower. They only had 8-12 mowers per class and yet someone promoted and marketed them well enough to get a corporate sponsor and be televised. Heck, in one class the leader even lapped second place, talk about exciting!

No offense taken, Nathan. I wouldn't expect you to respond any other way about something your passionate about. I just try to stimulate interesting and sometimes provocative conversation on here from time to time. Ya can't do that just talking about the weather.

On the relative beauty of Dirt Modifieds we can simply agree to disagree. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Next time I'm up at Tx Thunder I'll look ya up! :)

Now, where's that Hallas guy ......... got to set him straight! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Do I dare bump this thread to the top???????????

I'm STILL right about this, by the way.

You can't imagine how many people have come up to me at the tracks and told me privately, they agree with me.

I've since been to two dirt track races running mods. One had a huge field. I still can't bear to watch them. I just turned my back and walked back down into the pits. They're just too damn ugly to watch.

You can't imagine how many people have come up to me at the tracks and told me privately, they agree with me.

I've since been to two dirt track races running mods. One had a huge field. I still can't bear to watch them. I just turned my back and walked back down into the pits. They're just too damn ugly to watch.

you know bud ..modracer is right ..... come on bud ..you me dano .we get together and you know that has to be a sight ..thow im the =best looking one .. ..i dont see anyone running away in the pits when we are together ..

Even when we are not racing,we go watch...and it will be a DIRT track..Because it will have some REAL CLOSE RACING!..The dollar amount spent will not win as it does on the paved track..And if MODS or SPORT MODS are not part of the show, we wont even consider driving to that track..Because we enjoy those UGLY looking RACE CARS!..There are some that say fans dont know the difference of the two,Thats a person that does not understand or know just how smart there fans are..When tracks drop there mods to try just the door classes,the fan count dies off... It has happened at many tracks.Because the fans wants to see REAL RACING..Not follow the leader stuff..And since fan counts are up at most dirt tracks in these tough times,It must be liked ...Frank T

its alright bud you also think danica looks good. I little backwards in my mind but each to their own.

I was up in south eastern Ohio a few weeks ago and we made an hour and a half drive over to Sarvor Pa. on a friday night to Learnerville Speedway a 3/8 dirt oval. The races started at 7:30 we arrived at 7:00 the place was packed at least a couple thousand fans already there. This track runs 4 classes of cars each friday, they call them the fab four. 410 Sprints, Big Block Modifieds, Super Late Models and a Super Stock class. Full car counts in each class. The super stocks ran there heats and feature last.They rolled the first heat out at 7:34 just after the Prayer and National Anthem and we were back on the road just after 11:00. I felt I was at a special show. Talking with some of the locals, they say at the special shows its standing room only. Awsome racing. You know I don't think I even saw anyone with a NASCAR hat or T-shirt on. hum! ;)

I went to the races in Tucson, Az. twice in the past few weeks. They advertise the races start at 7:00. Both times at 6:53 the first heat rolled on the track and stopped on the front straight. The track had the Prayer and National Anthem. At 7:00 the first heat was rolling down the back straightaway coming to get the green flag. Well run show and out of there at 10:30 and that included walking through the pits. Very good crowd. Makes one think starting the show on time and running it off without long delays has something to do with crowd count. They ran those ugly cars and it was a great show. Well worth the price of admission.

Thanks for your comments guys. I really DO appreciate them. My thinking on this subject all along has been ............. To affect change, you sometimes have to plant the seed and ruffle a few feather along the way. I'd like to see some better looking cars when I go to those races................something that actually looks like a car. At least I've got y'all thinking about it. :)

Wayne, all of those you just listed are purpose built race vehicles.

Perhaps the problem is they are still called modifieds. That title implies the vehicle has undergone change to get it to its current race state, which they certainly have. However, traditionally the "modified" race vehicle bears some resemblence to its origins. Today's dirt modifieds do not. Perhaps a simple name change is in order. Ummmm ............ something like "motorized large metal box racing" would be more appropriate.

However, traditionally the "modified" race vehicle bears some resemblence to its origins. Today's dirt modifieds do not.

Sure they do. OEM frames..........of sort. :P I understand what you are saying but it's just a word. Race cars no longer represent thier original concepts in any form. Sprint cars come the closest. Forgot about the "stock" classes. You could always go to Killeen or Waco and watch the Twisters. They are as stock as one can get.

Those of you on here who are familiar with my posts know I have a real appreciation for the craftsmanship and aesthetics of beautiful racing machines, from whatever era. I know I can't be the only race fan who has this view.

On another thread right now the pros and cons of asphalt and dirt track racing is being discussed. Related to both of these subjects is a point I have never seen discussed on here.

Now let me stop right here and throw out some examples of what I'm talking about. Directly from the National IMCA site, I give you a photo of a current IMCA Dirt Modified. Here it is ........... the absolute butt-ugliest vehicle ever known to man-kind, in the history of this planet!

That is one of the best looking wraps I have seen.The crafstmanship in the aluminum body panels are exquisite and perfectly detailed to represent a dirt modified racing machine.These type of modified racing machines provide the best racing for anyones entertainment dollar with their speed and handling characteristics will challenge the best drivers to their best ability to control it and bring it to victory.I along with thousands of dirt racing fans enjoy what the dirt modified machines bring to a track near you.Get over yourself Budman and move on because they are here to stay and you just might be the only one that feels that way. :(

Archived