A Subject Seemingly Totally Ignored

Budman

Those of you on here who are familiar with my posts know I have a real appreciation for the craftsmanship and aesthetics of beautiful racing machines, from whatever era. I know I can't be the only race fan who has this view.

On another thread right now the pros and cons of asphalt and dirt track racing is being discussed. Related to both of these subjects is a point I have never seen discussed on here.

Now let me stop right here and throw out some examples of what I'm talking about. Directly from the National IMCA site, I give you a photo of a current IMCA Dirt Modified. Here it is ........... the absolute butt-ugliest vehicle ever known to man-kind, in the history of this planet!

post-1274-1189382460_thumb.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man that is one ugly race car. i would not watch one of those ugly cars race if it was free admission.

actually it is a nice looking car and would love to watch a full field of those beautiful machines. it doesnt matter how the car looks, just because it is pretty doesn't mean it will run. im sure stapp could bring his out primered with a shoe polish number and still run circles around the competition.

Guest Top Dog Graphix

Come on... that's not the best looking dirt mod, but it's not as ugly as those goofy looking asphalt mods, not to mention, the guy with the dirt mod can go to almost any dirt track (over 20 in Texas) and race his car AS IS with no complaints from the "local guys" IMCA is what I call PROGRESS in the racing industry.

That's a pretty typical dirt mod from what I've see. I am a race fan. I don't like seeing ugly race cars. So much so I hardly ever visit a dirt track. Not because of the surface or the style of racing, it just that all the cars are so damn ugly! I'm serious. It has been this way ever since there has been an IMCA. It's almost as if they have a committee that sits down every off season and say, "OK, our first priority is how can we make our cars uglier for next season?"

I promise you I'm not making fun here. I'm really serious.

Whether you realize it or not, fans pay attention to that sort of thing. Other than the appearence of their race cars, I like what IMCA does. I think their organization is the best and if asphalt in Texas is going to survive they're going to have to adapt. They need to look closely at what IMCA does.

But come on, that dirt mod is just a painted and heavily decalled sheet metal box on wheels.

Now, I agree, an asphalt mod is by no means a beautiful racing machine either, but on the whole the ones I've seen look one heck of a lot better than their dirt counter-parts.

Here's a photo of a current HMP Pro Mod. See any difference?

post-1274-1189384821_thumb.jpg

Guest Top Dog Graphix
Whether you realize it or not, fans pay attention to that sort of thing. Other than the appearence of their race cars, I like what IMCA does. I think their organization is the best and if asphalt in Texas is going to survive they're going to have to adapt. They need to look closely at what IMCA does.

But come on, that dirt mod is just a painted and heavily decalled sheet metal box on wheels.

Now, I agree, an asphalt mod is by no means a beautiful racing machine either, but on the whole the ones I've seen look one heck of a lot better than their dirt counter-parts.

Here's a photo of a current HMP Pro Mod. See any difference?

Buddy.... that ugly thing doesn't prove your point either.... I like this car.

post-1176-1189385286_thumb.jpg

Randy,

That one's a bit extreme. We can get on here a compare specific cars all night long. Wouldn't get us anywhere. I'm talking generalities here.

In general, in my opinion, most of the dirt cars are not as aesthetically appealling to the eye as are their asphalt counter-parts. I think the "Dirt People" need to pay more attention to that. The fans do.

Really, I'm not on here to make anybody mad. The dirt guys don't need to get all defensive. I just think it is a valid point for discussion.

Actually, Jason, I AM serious.

I was raised in a family that owned modifieds through several eras. With the exception of the old coupes and sedans, modifieds are just ugly when compared to almost any other type of race car. So you learn to base your opinions of what looks good and what doesn't in comparison to others in the same class. Taking the front fenders and hood off of any car since about 1948 results in an ugly car. Narrowing the body to make it an open wheel car is even worse and my dad crewed on one of the ugliest of the ugly skinny cars for years.

In general, I always liked late models on pavement and sprint cars on dirt. Dirt late models always got too bashed up for my tastes. But great racing trumps looks in my opinion and I think the SUPR late models put on great races and look good too. They still don't look as good as pavement late models to me, but good enough. Same for a good field of IMCA modifieds. They aren't pretty, but if the racing is good that's good enough for me.

Dirt super modifieds to me are probably the prettiest race cars there are and pavement supers among the ugliest, in my opinion, but I've also seen some scary dirt supers and pavement supers make up for their looks with performance and just looking bad a$$. And I've seen pavement late models that never saw a coat of paint. So it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just give me some full fields of race cars and I am happy as can be.

This car is "plain" with the graphics and it's also got one heck of a wheelman in it too, George White

I've seen George in some pretty ugly race cars too, but he's a good driver no matter what he is in.

That's a pretty typical dirt mod from what I've see. I am a race fan. I don't like seeing ugly race cars. So much so I hardly ever visit a dirt track. Not because of the surface or the style of racing, it just that all the cars are so damn ugly! I'm serious. It has been this way ever since there has been an IMCA. It's almost as if they have a committee that sits down every off season and say, "OK, our first priority is how can we make our cars uglier for next season?"

Im sure you are much much older than I am, but have you ever even been to a dirt race? The well run dirt tracks I have been to put any of the Texas asphalt short tracks to shame and by that I mean the car counts are way higher and so is the fan base! When we had a TAMs car we ran all 3 asphalt tracks SAS, THR, and CCMS but we also ran Waco and Bellmead about 4 to 5 times and the dirt tracks had 2x more competition and fans... Waco is the best track Ive ever been to as far as racing goes and they put on an awesome show. Ive seen around 100 cars race at waco in 4 to 5 different classes and its over by 11:00 and your back home in Austin by 12:45 or so. I can remember way back at THR not leaving till 3 or 4 in the morning. You have to admit, asphalt racing in Texas on the short tracks is pretty damn dead and Id rather watch 24 IMCA modifieds tear it up than I would watch a 14 car Super Stock race. Plus they arent [edited out by Nick Holt, 9/9/07] starting up 8 different damn classes of cars and trying to fit them all in on one night, therefore you pay all that money to race and you get 2 practices for the whole day, that right there is pitiful. 8 classes is not needed nor does it make for a very well run show and that is what has killed asphalt racing. Why is there a need for so many classes? Have Latemodels, Modifieds, Super Stocks, Hobby Stocks, and a 4 cylinder class and thats ALL you need. Whats the poiint of having all these classes and having a 8 car show? That right there is boring and you wont see that at a dirt track very often. I tell you this site hasnt progressed very much thats for sure. Same ole people on here bickering about how to make this and that better but one things for sure, none of you will ever agree. Also, Id like to see you go tell that guy that his Modified is ugly and would really like to see him punch you square in the chops. Cause Im pretty damn sure he put alot of work into that car and personally that is a beutiful piece of racing equipment and I think its 10x better and meaner looking than any Asphalt Super Latemodel.

Matt,

I agree whole-heartedly with everthing you are saying. I've been to a LOT of dirt races. All I'm saying, from a race fans point of view, (in my opinion), aesthetically, asphalt cars appear more appealing in general than the dirt cars. I don't know why that is, but that's what I think.

It IS something the dirt racing officials need to pay attention to. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to insult anybody. I just think it's a topic worth discussing on here.

Im sure you are much much older than I am, but have you ever even been to a dirt race? The well run dirt tracks I have been to put any of the Texas asphalt short tracks to shame and by that I mean the car counts are way higher and so is the fan base! When we had a TAMs car we ran all 3 asphalt tracks SAS, THR, and CCMS but we also ran Waco and Bellmead about 4 to 5 times and the dirt tracks had 2x more competition and fans... Waco is the best track Ive ever been to as far as racing goes and they put on an awesome show. Ive seen around 100 cars race at waco in 4 to 5 different classes and its over by 11:00 and your back home in Austin by 12:45 or so. I can remember way back at THR not leaving till 3 or 4 in the morning. You have to admit, asphalt racing in Texas on the short tracks is pretty damn dead and Id rather watch 24 IMCA modifieds tear it up than I would watch a 14 car Super Stock race. Plus they arent a bunch of idiots starting up 8 different damn classes of cars and trying to fit them all in on one night, therefore you pay all that money to race and you get 2 practices for the whole day, that right there is pitiful. 8 classes is not needed nor does it make for a very well run show and that is what has killed asphalt racing. Why is there a need for so many classes? Have Latemodels, Modifieds, Super Stocks, Hobby Stocks, and a 4 cylinder class and thats ALL you need. Whats the poiint of having all these classes and having a 8 car show? That right there is boring and you wont see that at a dirt track very often. I tell you this site hasnt progressed very much thats for sure. Same ole people on here bickering about how to make this and that better but one things for sure, none of you will ever agree. Also, Id like to see you go tell that guy that his Modified is ugly and would really like to see him punch you square in the chops. Cause Im pretty damn sure he put alot of work into that car and personally that is a beutiful piece of racing equipment and I think its 10x better and meaner looking than any Asphalt Super Latemodel.

I am probably much older than you and I've been to far more dirt tracks and dirt races than paved ones and I've seen the good and the bad at all of them. I can remember getting home at 2-3 in the morning on a regular basis and that was at tracks within 50 miles of our house and they were dirt. I don't have the paper in front of me, but Heart of Texas runs about as many classes as any other track paved or dirt as do Cowtown, Boyd, Kennedale Speedway Park, Thunderbird and DFW Speedway and they are all dirt.

I've personally told my dad that the car he worked on for years was about the ugliest thing I ever saw and I've also told that to the owner/driver of the same car. They didn't punch me in the chops. They agreed with me.

...I tell you this site hasnt progressed very much thats for sure. Same ole people on here bickering about how to make this and that better but one things for sure, none of you will ever agree...

Matt - Was that you I saw racing at THR a couple of weeks ago? Next time you're racing there, why not just stop by and share your positive, helpful point of view with Mary Ann and H. E.. They're easy to find. They're the ones busting their butts 24/7 to give you place to race.

Nick

You have to admit, asphalt racing in Texas on the short tracks is pretty damn dead and Id rather watch 24 IMCA modifieds tear it up than I would watch a 14 car Super Stock race. Plus they arent [edited out by Nick Holt, 9/9/07] starting up 8 different damn classes of cars and trying to fit them all in on one night, therefore you pay all that money to race and you get 2 practices for the whole day, that right there is pitiful.

Matt, I'm not ready to admit defeat and say that asphalt short track racing is dead in Texas. Not even close.

As far as practice at dirt tracks, many of them allow NO practice on race night. You're lucky if you get one hot lap session. If you need practice, there's a dedicated night for that apart from race night.

And as far as those bright colored dirt modifieds, sorry Budman, I kinda like 'em. :D

Well Budman, they say if it don't run chrome it. The dirt tracks I went to in the DFW area the guys spend more on the appearance then the asphalt cars do down here, and the competitive guys go thru at least 2 cars a year, and when Cowtown was Nascar several ran 2 classes the and some still do. I liked the winged modifieds and the supermodifieds from the 60s and 70s. By the way the limited modifieds that are the hot ticket down here are a few years behind, Wissota had that style chassis with the mod motor back in the 90s.

Matt,

I agree whole-heartedly with everthing you are saying. I've been to a LOT of dirt races. All I'm saying, from a race fans point of view, (in my opinion), aesthetically, asphalt cars appear more appealing in general than the dirt cars. I don't know why that is, but that's what I think.

It IS something the dirt racing officials need to pay attention to. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to insult anybody. I just think it's a topic worth discussing on here.

Budman,

I went a little over board there in my post, Ive never personally met you but Im sure your an alright guy. Im just personally disgusted with what asphalt racing as a whole has come to. I havent been around it as long as many of the people on here but then again Ive only been alive 19yrs and 10 of those years have been around racing. I got in on the tail end of Longhorn and been running around the pits of THR since it first opened and I hate to see the stands empty. I ran my 3rd Super Stock race and my first of the season 2 weeks ago at THR in my Dads car and Ill be honest, I have been hooked ever since I ran my first practice lap a few years ago. Actually to tell the truth, Ive been hooked since he put that car together 9 yrs ago and it ran its first race. But anyways, the other night we had a red flag after the first lap and we were sitting on the front stretch waiting for them to clean the track. Well Im fooling around trying to open my helmet up and basically just trying to relax and I peer up at the stands and immediately think WOW! I probally saw 1000 people at most up there and the place just looked plain dead. It didnt used to be like that. Also, I look ahead at whos in front of me and the field was down to about 13 cars by that time. I couldnt help but think what it was like for the racers just 4 or 5 years ago that were looking up the track at 22 cars in front of them. I can remember a night, the last race night of the year in fact when my Dad came from 18th out of 22 cars to win and personally I would rather watch a race where that happens. The more cars on the track, the bigger the competition you have conquered and the better the show for the crowd. Also I dont know about any other racers on here, but I think stands packed with 4000 people would be more intrigiuing (sp?) to race in front of than stands with 1000. I know thats the problem people are trying to get after and fix but bickering about this and that isnt helping any. The cars on dirt may be ugly but they have it figured out pretty darn good on the car count aspect.

Sorry, had to drive down to the neighbors place and check on it (they're out of town.)

Back to the subject at hand..............I'd prefer a big field of cars too. Doesn't matter the surface raced on.

But, I'd rather watch a field of purdy cars race than ugly ones. Maybe its just a "generation thing". Maybe I just prefer something a little more conservative in appearance than those dirt mods.

I suppose you could relate it to my taste in females, as bountyhunter alluded to. But he's got it just backwards. I prefer petite, elegant women who exude an aire of self-confidence...........that's what attracts me! Been married to one for 37 years now! ;):)

So maybe it IS just individual taste, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Archived