A Subject Seemingly Totally Ignored

Budman

When I joined this site I never throught that I would read a post were the "Asphalt Guys" and "Dirt Guys" would be trying to bring one another down. Last I checked IT IS ALL STILL RACING. No one stated in any thread I read that Modifieds were the best cars out there and asphalt cars were ugle. I believe I read that it would cost money to make a "dirt" modified into an "ashalt" modified. Some may think I lean toward modified because I own one but I also own a asphalt late model. I choose to run a modified for the price. Modified bodies are 479.99 for the full body to were a good late model body runs around 2000.00. With a modified you bend the body you can take it off and straighten it. This is a RACING site. You have your opition and I have mine. With IMCA they have made the body afordable so we can send money on things like the suspension. I quess budman never has watched 20 of this "ugly cars" run a twenty lap feature on a track were you slide around the corners instead of one were you drive it in wait then just get back on it. Ive raced dirt for many year and talked to many people and have never had anyone say the cars are ugly. I can take my car anywhere and I have never heard anyone say "man that an ugly car" . they usually say that a nice RACE CAR! So I quess I say give me "UGLY" dirt cars that run very weekend instead of "PRETTY" asphalt cars that run once to twice a month!! :angry::angry:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I joined this site I never throught that I would read a post were the "Asphalt Guys" and "Dirt Guys" would be trying to bring one another down. Last I checked IT IS ALL STILL RACING. No one stated in any thread I read that Modifieds were the best cars out there and asphalt cars were ugle. I believe I read that it would cost money to make a "dirt" modified into an "ashalt" modified. Some may think I lean toward modified because I own one but I also own a asphalt late model. I choose to run a modified for the price. Modified bodies are 479.99 for the full body to were a good late model body runs around 2000.00. With a modified you bend the body you can take it off and straighten it. This is a RACING site. You have your opition and I have mine. With IMCA they have made the body afordable so we can send money on things like the suspension. I quess budman never has watched 20 of this "ugly cars" run a twenty lap feature on a track were you slide around the corners instead of one were you drive it in wait then just get back on it. Ive raced dirt for many year and talked to many people and have never had anyone say the cars are ugly. I can take my car anywhere and I have never heard anyone say "man that an ugly car" . they usually say that a nice RACE CAR! So I quess I say give me "UGLY" dirt cars that run very weekend instead of "PRETTY" asphalt cars that run once to twice a month!! :angry::angry:

Nathan,

Before you jump on the "asphalt" guys I would take a minute and read what a few of them have written, I think the majority agree with you and think that the modifieds are good looking cars. Some may say a asphalt Super Stock is ugly, well you can say Im partial to that class and you are right but I think they look good. I also enjoy the modifieds and until ours was totaled I loved the look of that car also, and although it was set up for asphalt it also ran on a couple of dirt tracks. Im sorry but any car thats got a good sounding motor in it and isnt a 4 banger or a V6 is a pretty racecar to me. Just my .02 cents. ;)

Maybe pavement tracks should have same classes and rules similar to dirt or IMCA so it doesn't cost a fortune to change to run a different track. Dirt modifieds and Limited modifieds can run almost any track in

the country. just my opinion!

Bobby Jack

I like both dirt or asphault, racing is racing. I dont care if the cars are ugly or beautiful. From my experience I think the dirt cars are a little uglier because we race on a slick surface that is not always smooth, therfore your line in the corner may change a couple of feet when hitting a rut.

Nathan,

Before you jump on the "asphalt" guys I would take a minute and read what a few of them have written, I think the majority agree with you and think that the modifieds are good looking cars. Some may say a asphalt Super Stock is ugly, well you can say Im partial to that class and you are right but I think they look good. I also enjoy the modifieds and until ours was totaled I loved the look of that car also, and although it was set up for asphalt it also ran on a couple of dirt tracks. Im sorry but any car thats got a good sounding motor in it and isnt a 4 banger or a V6 is a pretty racecar to me. Just my .02 cents. ;)

I am not jumping on anyone I am simply saying WE ARE ALL RACERS and no one likes to be told that their race car is UGLY opition or not.

Nathan, I haven't seen your specific car. I'm talking in generalities here. No reason for you to get insulted. Let's look at the term "Modified". Originally, that referred to a race car that had been fashioned from a street car, and put in race condition. The body of the car remained identifiable at least to some degree, however. The current dirt mod car, if that is the case "appears" to be modified from some sort of SUV. Not very visually appealling to a race fan.

You know, I like to change my look every year. Last year, my car was Orange and Silver, but it didn't POP out enough for me. This year, it was supposed to be Kawasaki Green, but my paint guy mixed my paint wrong, and it turned out grass green. I went to the first race with the paint and some kid, right off the bat, comes up and says, COOL CAR, I LIKE THE COLOR" I thought it was ugly, but the kid liked it. I actually thought one of my team mates put the kid up to it!!! I want my car to STAND OUT from everyone elses. I want the fans to SEE my car. When they SEE my car, the SEE my sponsors. Sometimes, UGLY is good, because it makes people look. Next year, you are going to need sunglasses to look at my car. The paint is Kawasaki Green with a pearl in it. I try to keep it up every race, which is easier on asphalt than it was on dirt, because the racing is cleaner. But like Nick said, as long as it is racing, it is not as ugly as the one sitting on jack stands.

Nathan, I haven't seen your specific car. I'm talking in generalities here. No reason for you to get insulted. Let's look at the term "Modified". Originally, that referred to a race car that had been fashioned from a street car, and put in race condition. The body of the car remained identifiable at least to some degree, however. The current dirt mod car, if that is the case "appears" to be modified from some sort of SUV. Not very visually appealling to a race fan.

Budman I am not insulted! :D I just believe that when a generalized statement is made it cover all forms of the object the statement is focused towards. It also does seem to be appealing to many people.

The only ugly race cars are those sitting on jack stands in a shop somewhere instead of racing.

Nick

your right ... may i add . budmans meaning to me is ..it dont matter what you put on the car ...that body style is ugly ..look at the cot ...its ugly and all that fancy paint dont make them better looking ..heck we race pinto body.s .yep they are ugly for the most part ...a good paint job and alittle body work makes them a hole lot more appealling .... ... i tell you what .a dodge truck is ugly ... .. now back to ugly cars ..i kinda like those mod's ..some have some very nice paint job.s ...the only real ugly car out there is thumper ..jk gb

Now, let me set some of you straight on here. I've been around this stuff for a long, long time. I understand what every one of you is saying. But, set that aside for a moment. Tonight I'm on here talking purely as a "not so well informed" race fan sitting up there in the stands, wondering "What the hell kind of car is that?" with the guy sitting beside him saying "Don't know, but it sure is ugly!"

I'd just like for the "Powers that be in racing" to think about that a little more often than they apparently do.

What Budman is trying to say is that all the other cars that are racing look somewhat like cars. A modified resembles nothing, it is boxy. Has no resemblance to anything we drive on the street. That being said, I DO like the look of a modified. But when i was going to build my Limited Mod, I was putting a late Model roof on it and make it look like an asphalt Late Model with the fenders off of it.

So Budman, how appealing is watching a bunch of 25-30 year old camaros and monte carlos running around the track. I would almost guaratee that those are not appealing especially for new fans. I like modifieds but I think asphalt Late Models are by far the best looking.

Poorboy, That's been a concern of mine I've voiced on here quite often. Promoters need to think more about ways of attracting the "Younger Crowd" to the ovals (both kinds). They can't keep running Camaros forever. My generation had a real reverence for those old '32 fords, '37 chevys, '40 fords and so on and so on. Todays young people don't seem to have that. To them those are just OLD CARS out there racing. I've actually had the nerve to suggest on here before that they need to put cages on 'um and start racing some of those little two seat roadsters the auto manufacturers have been building over the past 20 years or so. Those are sporty little cars that today's young people can relate to!

I know it is hard to believe,but Bill france's biggest issue,worry,or focus when he started wasn't safety or performance.It was how his field of cars appeared,especially with new sponsor's stickers and logos on them.At first,the fields(through the mid-80's)were very spread out on a performance level.As far as safety,well the early cars were as good as a coffin in some cases.NA$CAR still has a big focus on how an event looks,even though performance and safety are definately more important now.

So to say Budman is wrong in his original post(read it carefully),would be like ignoring history.

One dirt racecar that has used it's appearance to it's advantage is the World of Outlaws.

Is asphalt racing better because it may or may not have,as a whole,better looking racecars? I don't think so.But then again,that wasn't what Budman was saying.

starting up 8 different damn classes of cars and trying to fit them all in on one night, therefore you pay all that money to race and you get 2 practices for the whole day, that right there is pitiful. 8 classes is not needed nor does it make for a very well run show and that is what has killed asphalt racing
Well, I am on here reading this thread at 2:00am, taking a break from working on my computer this Sunday evening for over four hours and might I add I still have 199 unanswered emails remaining, Matt, my question to you is, if you were me, tell me which of these, I think you said "8 different damn classes of cars" would you close the door on and tell them to find another place to race???

IMCA has a class for full bodied cars its the Istocks. They are slightly limited on what you can do suspension wise. Right now they are a dieing breed in Texas. Alot of it has to do with the carb rule (350 cfm two barrel) and alot has to do with the sports mod and modifieds. The bodies are made of plain flat sheet metal and are cheaper. The Istock have to run mostly stock panels they are getting harder to find and more expensive every year. The modifieds focus is on suspenion not on the body. The prices for the bodies have stayed about the same for around 4 years.

Budman I understand that you watched both my grandfathers race. Alot of people on the site has said that Frank's stringer chassis was one of the best looking car they had seen. I remember very well seeing the body panels in his truck and most were all straight like a modified. His gremlin was an early verison of a modified.

post-3641-1189425909_thumb.jpg

post-3641-1189426013_thumb.jpg

Archived