A Subject Seemingly Totally Ignored

Budman

Budman, you have to understand one thing also. For some guys, who have full time jobs and also have 2 small children (ok, there is this one guy I'm talking about, ME) just to get the car to the track every week and be competitive is hard enough. Unfortunately, not only does it take time every week to keep a car looking great, it takes money. I commend the guys who take pride in keeping their cars looking sharp. I would love to have my car show up at the track looking like it is ready for the car show, but I don't have the time. I'm more concerned on keeping that thing running up front than I am about how it looks.

I would be happy just to have 20-25 cars in every class every week, no matter what they look like. Sadly, we don't have that anymore, on asphalt anyway.

I love a good looking asphalt car. But I've seen some pretty sharp dirt streets and modifieds, too.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greg,

Nobody understands and can appreciate that more than I. Been there, done that. My two kids are now 27 and 28. Not so long ago they were just 1 and 2.

I'd just like to see the dirt mods return to having some semblence to a real car body on them. They don't have to be more expensive. They don't even have to be "real". I'd just like for them to look more like a car instead of what they look like now............a big rolling shoebox.

i have always liked the way the dirt late models look. like the old hav-a-tampa series late models. those are some nice looking cars. there are some funky looking modifieds running, but there are some really sharp looking mods running too. but regardless how pretty or ugly it is, it doesnt go any faster with shiny paint and fancy decals.

i have always liked the way the dirt late models look. like the old hav-a-tampa series late models. those are some nice looking cars. there are some funky looking modifieds running, but there are some really sharp looking mods running too. but regardless how pretty or ugly it is, it doesnt go any faster with shiny paint and fancy decals.

I hate to disagree, My car always goes faster with more decals. the more decals, the more sponsor money I have, the more money, the faster I can go!!!

Several years ago my husband ran mini sprints. His first car was not that great looking, JMO, but when you want to race, you use what you have. Once he was able to, with finances better off, he built a brand new sprint car from the ground up. Every nut and bolt was new, nothing on the car was used. He patterned the Texas flag on the wing and had a bad a$$ looking car. He got out of it, mainly because of no where local to run and eventually at the continued urging of Owen Pittman, built a "big" car. Once again, his first limited modified was "OK" looking but hey, you have to start somewhere. This year, Andy has run an all pink limited modified, built from the ground up by Chris Swenson and if I would say so myself, he again has a bad a$$ looking car. He has caught alot of flack for it but what does it matter? He has lots of kids that like it, especially his 3 girls and wife, and it is eye catching. People definitely talk!!!

I think everyone is entitled, regardless of what type of racing you do, to have your car the way you want. Most drivers build them and paint them to reflect their personaility and how they feel is the best way to represent a sponsor. JMO

Budman. I think I know where you are coming from on this issue,first the drivers have to learn respect for each other in order to keep their cars looking good. Second, I may be grouping you into a older group then you actually are, but if anyone went to one of the oldtimers reunions several years ago, the midget cars that were around back then were each a work of art, hand fabbed from the frame to the engine, where a part was on a engine depened on who built the engine, they had twin overhead cam heads built for a model A engine. I say let them look like a race car, if you want to see taxi-cabs go watch NASCAR.

I pretty much knew when I started this thread I was gonna be kicking a sacred cow. So far on this thread I've only been figuratively "punched in the chops" once. :D But at least give me credit for having the courage to come on here and say what I've been thinking for years.

97, if I want to see taxi cabs race around, I'll just go down town, thank you! :)

The dirt mod has evolved into what it looks like today over many, many years. It now is what it is, a very odd looking box bodied car. I just think its time for it to begin evolving appearence wise in a different direction. Oh, you can paint 'um up and put lots of pretty candy stripes on 'um, but they still look like rolling shoe boxes. The industry can do better.

I was a hot rod/ street rod guy before I started racing....that's why my cars usually have wild flame jobs with loud colors. I've always have had a lot of compliments and it's pretty cool when the kids want their parents to take them to the the car with fire on it. I like em'...all of them. All colors and shapes. Expecially with that V-8 sound .

I think everyone is missing Budman's point. It doesn't matter how neat we old diehards think modifieds look, it's the opinion of the potential fans with an expectation of what a race car is that has been conditioned by NASCAR. To those fans, a modified looks a lot like a collection of parts piled on a workbench.

Bill France (Big Bill) built NASCAR by racing cars the fans could relate to. ("Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday, remember?)

World wide, the most popular racing involves vehicles (cars or motorcycles) that at least resemble the cars out in the parking lot. Either Touring Cars, the series most successful in most countries, or pure race cars like Formula 1 rule. Even in motorcycling, the FIM introduced "Superbikes" so the fans could watch bikes they could actually go to the dealer and buy.

Don't be fooled by the success of NASCAR and the failure of Formula 1 in the U. S. NASCAR doesn't exist anywhere else, and probably won't "travel" well. Neither did American football make it overseas, despite American fans general dislike of the football known as soccer that is the WORLD WIDE game.

Budman probably feels we'd attract more fans if we weren't racing vintage cars, let alone vintage cars seen as "ugly" by the new fans we must attract. NASCAR didn't get where it is by assuming the fan base it had in 1950 represented all the fans they were going to get.

It's not about how many classes we have or what kinds of cars we run, unless those cars don't attract enough fans. If we don't put a large number of paying fans in the stands on a regular basis, we're done.

Humpy Wheeler said in an interview several years ago that the future of short track racing was probably Legends Cars and full-bodied karts on 1/4- and 1/5-mile tracks. I hope he's wrong, but his track record is pretty good for being right.

If the dirt modifieds and limited modifieds are so damned ugly then why is it they have the largest car count in this state and the nation. A select FEW don't find them appealing, but the MAJORITY find them to be awesome. If you pay attention to some of the better built cars the craftmanship is outstanding. They're now able to roll the aluminum rather than just box shape bend. You are only looking at ugly cars and not seeing past the "dirt" blinders. I've built only one body and I found it to be time consuming and that it also takes a lot of talent, education and experience to build a nice body. That and the fact it costs around 1200 to 1400 for a good complete body is why you'll see so many home built box ugly cars. I've seen a lot of asphalt modifieds that fit that bill as well.

Win on Sunday, buy on Monday has been a thing of the past for over 20 years now. I'd like to see a factory car today keep up with a camaro of yesteryear on a good bullring. Not even gonna happen and if it did the cost would be a least double. Fuel Injection and FWD shot the wad on the Saturday night oval track door cars appeal. After the 80's it went down hill FAST.

i dont have one of them cars and dont know much aboult them ..they have a ton of them i believe cuz they run the same rules all over ..they were suppose to be cheaper ..i cant speek for that cheaper part ..but that must be one big reason ..on top thow they arent the best looking things you can make your own body's try and find body's laying around now days ..or buy the body;s they aint cheap ...now if im correct the chassis are from the 70 and 80 on up ..most are old ...some are home made i quess ..that im sure someone will let me know ..and as for me likeing them ..i do ..i think they are fun to watch ...just alittle ugly ...

it's the opinion of the potential fans

GEEZ, maybe that's why dirt tracks usually pack the stands!!!!! <_<

DUH!!!

Buddy, ain't no way in hell I'll ever agree with you on this.......SORRY!! Would you rather have them look like the old Gremlin and Pinto bodies they started out with?

I love my pavement Late Models, too.....don't get me wrong.

But given the choice between 20-24 "ugly" modifieds or 8-10 Super Late Models(that pretty much all look the same body-wise) I'll take the "ugly" cars hands down.(And I'm sure "potential" fans would rather see a full field than a extended play heat race.)

What about Sprint Cars???? Remember the old pavement Super Modifieds or All-Star Winged Modifieds........neither look like any street car.......but their shows fill(ed) the grandstands. Go figure!!

Who says that a race car has to "LOOK" like a street car anyway? Other than maybe the headlight and taillight decals, what part of NA$CAR cars look like a street car? Especially that new jap junk looking POS.....ummmmm I mean COT car!!!

starting up 8 different damn classes of cars and trying to fit them all in on one night, therefore you pay all that money to race and you get 2 practices for the whole day, that right there is pitiful. 8 classes is not needed nor does it make for a very well run show and that is what has killed asphalt racing
Well, I am on here reading this thread at 2:00am, taking a break from working on my computer this Sunday evening for over four hours and might I add I still have 199 unanswered emails remaining, Matt, my question to you is, if you were me, tell me which of these, I think you said "8 different damn classes of cars" would you close the door on and tell them to find another place to race???

Mary Ann,

Id say get rid of the Trucks, Super Lates, and Possibly the (Modifieds) if they cant start cooperating and gurantee they will have atleast a 14 car field. As far as the Trucks and Super Lates go, well they started to dwindle really bad a few years back. Pretty much any "traveling" class that cant gurantee a 14 car field needs to be done away with. There also needs to be more streamlined classes. Have a Modified, Latemodel, Super Stock, Hobby Stock, and a 4 Banger class and thats all you need. Who wants to watch 6 or 7 different classes and 2 of them have 8 cars? Expescially when they have 8 cars and run a 40 or 50 lap race, boring...

In reality it would be even better to do away with either the Latemodels or Modifieds, Id rather see the Modifieds stick around but Im sure most would like to see the Latemodels around, so really that could and never will happen. Another thing to look at is, how many new Modifieds have you seen running? None. Most of the cars running are still cars from the TAMs days and before that. Therefore there is obviously not very many people getting into that class. The same goes for TSRS, although there are a few new faces every year. Personally Id rather see the Latemodels go back to a "local" class and the Modifieds and 4 Bangers be the 2 touring series. I totally forgot about the Dwarfs and they usually bring atleast 16 cars. Now another thing is the tire rule. Super Stocks, Hobby Stocks, Late Models, and the Modifieds ALL need to run on the same tire.. It would simplify things so much as far as tires go and there would be TONS of pull-offs for the lower classes to thrive on. I dont wanna hear that pull-offs cant be used by the lower classes either, it CAN be done. I know for a fact we would run 1 to 2 races on a set of 970s on the Modified, pull them off and then run another 2 to 3 races on the Street Stock with them. Therefore pick either the Hoosier Slicks, Good Year, or Hoosier 970s to run on. The best choice might be the Slick but I hear the Goodyear last longer so go with that one. Ive heard its a bit harder to get the handling issues down on the Goodyear, but how did we get it down with the 970s in the first place? Tried, tried, and tried again until it was right. It can be done.

I've been told I have no right to come on here with this thread being disrespectful or making fun of the Dirt Modified guys and their cars. Well, let me tell you nothing could be further from the truth. I have nothing but the greatest respect for all the dirt racers around here.

But, it never hurts for any of us to pause with a critical eye toward where we've been, where we are and where we're going, whether its racing or any other aspect of our lives. Thats how we make things better for ourselves and our families.

Do I have the right to come on here with this thread? Yes. I'm told I was practically born at a dirt track. I can remember when I was 5 or 6 years old being out at the local quarter mile dirt track every week. If I was being disrespecful, it would be to myself and my own beloved departed father. It just isn't so. My first conscious memory of ANYTHING is standing up in the seat of my dad's old dirt modified, leaning forward with my hands on the wheel, when I was about 3 years old, in my parents back yard! Me being disrespectful? No way!

Buddy, certainly you every right to state your opinion, which in this case is wrong. :lol: Just we have the right to disagree with you, because in this case we're right.:P I never took it as disrespectful.

Other than the "gull wing" doors please note the resemblence of this 2007 Lamborghini LP640 roadster and the picture of George White's plain white Modified. Ok, OK, maybe there's a few dollars difference too!! :o LMAO

post-34-1189514213_thumb.jpg

Archived