Meyer Speedway Pics 2

Trotter1t

REF: Post 108

Tommy.

I think George Nash used a Ford Coupe cut down in the late 60's which had no ridge on the body side..

Ford coupes were also used but not as many as the 37-38 Chevy's

Randy, is this the little Ford Coupe you refered to? This is Mack's photo from 1966...

All this came about while we try to identify the origin of the Jimmy McKinzie's #31 modified coupe in the 1970 photo!!

post-12610-1289358453.jpg

Yeah Tommy..That's the one!

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
REF: Post 108

Tommy.

I think George Nash used a Ford Coupe cut down in the late 60's which had no ridge on the body side..

Ford coupes were also used but not as many as the 37-38 Chevy's

Randy, is this the little Ford Coupe you refered to? This is Mack's photo from 1966...

All this came about while we try to identify the origin of the Jimmy McKinzie's #31 modified coupe in the 1970 photo!!

post-12610-1289358453.jpg

Hey, I did a little wrench'n on that car. George is a great guy.

Tommy,

This #24 Ford coupe above I do believe was the last coupe George drove. In the '68 season he had repainted the coupe, enlarged the windows slightly and had a different font number 24 painted on it.

After '68, I never saw the coupe again.

I think George told me it was an original 38 or 39 Ford body before the surgery procedures.

The number 31 Blue modified does look to be the old number 75 judging by the hood scoop, the angle of the hood etc. Looks like the same car to me..

The number 98 above is a narrowed rear section of a 59 Ford, not a Falcon. It was originally number 8 and was Larry Schild's first modified in 68. The roof might have been from a Falcon.

The car was built in Bill Brashears shop off Homestead.

Ok, I think it was in 1969 that Billy Jack Casper died from a wreck at Pan America, the 2 programs I have from 69 still has Casper as driving the #5 the 1971 program has Jack McCain as the owner, as a kid from back then I seem to remember Maurice Phillips driving the #5 about then. The #6 car showed Sidney Clark driving it in 69 and Tom Loving as the owner in 71. If the 33 car is out of Dallas in 69 it showed that to be Butch Horton.

97car: Post #107 - Didn't Shady McWorter win one of the early Liberty Bell 300's? For some reason that name sticks in my head - also I have photos of most of the

drivers/cars listed on the right side of that picture, and will get around to posting them...someday!

Tommy,

This #24 Ford coupe above I do believe was the last coupe George drove. In the '68 season he had repainted the coupe, enlarged the windows slightly and had a different font number 24 painted on it.

After '68, I never saw the coupe again.

I think George told me it was an original 38 or 39 Ford body before the surgery procedures.

The number 31 Blue modified does look to be be the old number 75 judging by the hood scoop, the angle of the hood etc. Looks like the same car to me..

The number 98 above is a narrowed rear section of a 59 Ford, not a Falcon. It was originally number 8 and was Larry Schild's first modified in 68. The roof might have been from a Falcon.

The car was built is Bill Brashears shop off Homestead.

Randy - This is really a pic of Joe Plowman from 1968, but that's George's enlarged-window coupe in front of him, and the number font is different too. I believe that's #1 Jimmy Willis

behind Joe's #28, but it could also be Charlie Schild's car from a few years before too! By the way, what is Joe's car anyway?

post-12610-1289441101.jpg

Tommy,

You are right it is 1968 and that is George with his enlarged windows and paint job.

Being 1968 it would have to be Jimmy Willis in Schilds old number 1 modified since Charlie stopped driving after the '66 season.

I was told the top of Plowman's new modified was made out of a '56 Chevy hood. I can't say about the rest of the body. :huh:

I asked a pit crewman about that one night and that's what I was told. I was so disappointed to hear that Joe cut up is old '37 Chevy after the '67 season.

One of the most eye catching cars on the track was the old "White" 28 Modified coupe..

First let me thank all those guys and gals who have served this country on Veterans Day, 2010. From one vet to others, no matter when or where you served, your service

is greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!

Second, odds and ends:

post-12610-1289521533.jpg

post-12610-1289521540.jpg

Speaking of Maurice Phillips in previous posts, I found these ontrack photos of his #10 car being driven by David James from 1971 - Probably the

Liberty Bell 300, but I have no documentation to back that up!

post-12610-1289521548.jpg

I show this #54 sprint as being from Arlington, and it was the 1971 Liberty Bell 300, but that's all I know about the car - a little help please!!

post-12610-1289521556.jpg

Here's the 1971 Super-Modified Drivers - I recognize most of the 1st row, but only Louis Spurgeon and Gordon Wooley on the 2nd row!

post-12610-1289521563.jpg

This little #4(1) sprinter is totally anonymous! Help!

More to follow!!

Ronnie Chumley # 16 Photo

post-8338-1289529254.jpg

Looks like this photo above was taken around 1967.

Apparently they used a '32 Ford Grill on Chumleys' Chevy coupe here.

In 1968 they cut the sheet metal roof off of this car and all you could see was the padded roll bars sticking out in attempts to move forward with the new look of the roadsters.

It was ugly..

Didn't make any difference to Chumley if the car was ugly or not. It didn't affect the throttle any nor his ability to be one of the big dogs to deal with on the track..

The beginning of the end of the old coupes..welcome the wing era.

Tommy,

As time permits, I will be moving some of the photos to this thread that were posted on others threads.

Let's hope all will follow the story book rule here and post to the major threads we have started.

Some threads are already falling in the cracks..

Feel free to add your comments to the photos as they are posted.

George Nash 24 / Billy Perran 6 Belowpost-8338-1289530740.jpg

The #4 coupe in post #137 is indeed Clyde Johnson. He and his son Charles #11, Wayne Neidecken #99 and Robert Polk #18 comprised the Abilene contingent of the Supers that ran weekly a Austin Speed-O-Rama in the early 60's. Sure wish we had more pics from that track and that era. They put on some phenominal shows there every week back in the day.

The 54 car was George Hallman, it was a Nance sprint car, he mainly ran a 427 Ford, but they did switch to a small block Chevy at one time not sure when, but that is what is in the car. My uncle said he beat Shady McWhorter in a trophy dash down there with the Ford, but the governor on the injector pump was acting up, that and you couldn't get a big enough radiator to lean the 427 out on alcohol in the frame because it was built for small block Chevies. Ray Blohm did drive it a few times when my dad was out on the truck. My dad got out of it in 1972 some time. I don't recognize the person looking at it, but the 2 in the back ground do look like the group that always went. As a kid I don't remember going to Meyers unfortunately, my parents split in 70 I believe.

RETrott: is that video the race than Bill Blumrick ran-away with? If so, I will watch it again to try to find the #75 car of Vaughn Brune -

Also, here's the Jackie Woosley car of 1965, very similar to the Billy Perran car I have previously posted. Both were really nice-looking cars,

Billy's being a dark metallic blue (55-56 Dodge Royal Blue - I know because I had a '38 Chevy coupe painted the same color), and Jackie's being

orange, perhaps a burnt-orange color! Color photos from that time are hard to find!

Tommy

post-12610-1289349742.jpg

The video I referred to the Modified 100 Lap event was won by Charlie Schild after apparent engine failures by Joe Plowman and Bill Blumrick. The Bronco 100 Lap event was won by Mike Cronin. A daytime show filmed on Sunday afternoon 9/25/66, and the final '66 season points races. ;)

Archived