Meyer Speedway Pics 2

Trotter1t

The number 5 sprinter was driven by Billy Jack Casper, and the car was owned by Jack McCain, McCain Body Shop in Garland, TX.

The number 33 is Jerry Blundy driving, car was owned by Mel Moffitt and crew chiefed by Floyd Trevis.

The number 2 is Sonny Hoover out of Memphis, TN.

And the good ole number 6 was driven by a fella named Mark entered under the alias Freddie so he wouldn't lose his USAC card, Lee Cade has his back to the camera on the right side of the car. Mark's brother Tom Barnes is in the t-shirt head hidden by the wing. And Robert Barnes in the short sleeve pullover in front of the car. Robert owned and operated Barnes Garage in Bryan Texas for 50 years and ran dirt sprinters at Moody and Clary, both long since gone. Tom still owns and operates White Rock Automotive up on Garland Rd. in Dallas to this day. DA1-3321 (to you youngsters that's (214) 321-3321).

All those USAC sprinter use to come run for the money at Myers from time to time. That 33 was a fast piece I can tell you for sure. made many left turns in the 60's in that sled. Mel Moffitt and Floyd Trevis built some great cars over the years.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy,

Thanks for the continued supply of photos as we can't tell you how appreciative we are for this history and for making this thread a wonderful documentary!

I may not be correct on the photo below as to the driver of this car nor it's correct history. I do know it belonged to another owner -driver in it's early days and if I am not mistaken, this photo shot is the son of Mack McKenzie ( photographer ) by the name of Jimmy if I recall.

It was the only old modified full bodied on the track in 1970 as all the winged modifieds had replaced the old stock bodied modifieds.

Don't think Jimmy did much with this car and was not a major contender to my memory.

He was probably like me and a little late with funds and also the desire to own one of those old '38 Chevy modifieds.

I am sure Mark, Larry or others can correct me if I am wrong on this guess, but I think this is the correct answer.

It was a cool looking modified but outdated and heavier than the new "Winged Things" that were now the dominent source at Meyer Speedway

Maybe they can add some light on this.

post-8338-1289185547.jpg

Randy,

I believe that same modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified #31 is pictured elsewhere on this site, and ID'd as being driven by Jimmy Mckenzie. I have no recall myself, beyond that. And, I am curious as to who the builder and previous owner and/or driver might be. Looks like some quality body/chassis work.

I agree Larry,

Nice work on the coupe.

I think the information we are referring to was in one of Mark's 8mm films and the info came from that source. I remember something about Jimmy McKenzie as the driver.

In response to Tommy's latest photos.

Jackie Woosley's batmobile became the yellow 79 of Tommy Thompson, raced at Meyer and

also Almeda and Moody & Clary. The Woosley 4 car from 1968 when it first showed up it

had a one piece body that flipped up like a funny car. I think it was owned by D.K. Heard Jr.

The #47 chevelle would be driver George Mitchell owner Mel Newkirk.

The # 31 coupe in 1969 is listed as Darrel Flynn driver and owned by Jack Harmon. I think

Jimmy Mckinzie purchased the car from them and was probably the last one to run a coupe

Meyer. It would be great to find this car and get a stack of sand paper and start removin

paint layers. I think but I am not positive this was previously the Vaughn Brune 75 car painted

red and silver and before that the George Nash #24 painted red at the beginning of the 1965

season and whatever shade of pink or bronze that was at the end of the season.

Does anyone

on here know what the actual colors of Nash's #24 and Blackie Lothringer's #98 were. They

were similiar but I think Nash's was a lighter shade.

The Locklin 6 car, the second photo with Nash on track I see the left rear radius rod dragging

on the track. In the photo labled "being towed away" I am at the very left edge of picture

and my brother Randy next to me. We almost always sat on the back stretch near the center.

As soon as the 6 car came to rest from it's flight someone at the north end of the standsran

down and pulled the wing up to make it easier for Nash to get out. The announcer soon reminded everyone to remain in thier seats and let the safety crew handle these situations. By the way

the safety crew looks mighty professional for the day.

I hope this information helps or at least stirs some memories.

Keep up the good work Tommy

thanks Byron.

Ok, I think it was in 1969 that Billy Jack Casper died from a wreck at Pan America, the 2 programs I have from 69 still has Casper as driving the #5 the 1971 program has Jack McCain as the owner, as a kid from back then I seem to remember Maurice Phillips driving the #5 about then. The #6 car showed Sidney Clark driving it in 69 and Tom Loving as the owner in 71. If the 33 car is out of Dallas in 69 it showed that to be Butch Horton.

post-25-1289261517.jpg

post-25-1289261542.jpg

Byron - I was looking at the 1965 George Nash car, which I previously posted in More Meyer Modifieds, post #1 - and comparing it to the #31 car of 1970 - Look at the diagonal ridge

that runs from the front of the car down the side of the '37-38 Chevys - on Georges car the ridge is cut off at the first brace for the side nerf-bar, and also it looks higher on the 31 car

than this particular #24 car - of course we are looking at the opposite side of George's car. I don't have any photos of Vaughn Brunes #75 car to compare this with. The body work on

the #31 car looks a lot neater than on Georges car - who really knows - somewhere out there I'm sure there are old photos of this car in a previous incarnation!

RE the wrecked #6 car - it's always interesting for people to point themselves out in these old photos - it kinda makes this all a little more personal for all of us - I'm glad everyone

is enjoying the photos - I just wish I had more of them! I will eventually post a couple of Meyer photos of me from "way back then."

Tommy

Ok, I think it was in 1969 that Billy Jack Casper died from a wreck at Pan America, the 2 programs I have from 69 still has Casper as driving the #5 the 1971 program has Jack McCain as the owner, as a kid from back then I seem to remember Maurice Phillips driving the #5 about then. The #6 car showed Sidney Clark driving it in 69 and Tom Loving as the owner in 71. If the 33 car is out of Dallas in 69 it showed that to be Butch Horton.

to 97car - I have a couple of 1971 photos of a #5 car with Robert Young listed as the driver, and Marvin Fillips as the owner - could be the car you're refering to, thou it was definately

NOT a sprint car - I show it as being from San Angelo - I'll get around to posting them sometime...

Tommy

On Request - next up, Leroy Halfin - most of these photos are minus Leroy, just pictures of the car, but there's a couple with him included...

post-12610-1289267080.jpg

post-12610-1289267088.jpg

2 photos of an "oops moment" from 1971 - unfortunately undated

post-12610-1289267095.jpg

the #5 car, new paint scheme, 1971

post-12610-1289267103.jpg

another "oops moment", July 17, 1971

post-12610-1289267116.jpg

#5 new paint scheme, in color - incidently, I did the lettering on this car! I'd forgotten all about that!

post-12610-1289267123.jpg

post-12610-1289267130.jpg

2 photos of the #2 car - new number for 1972

post-12610-1289267137.jpg

Leroy ontrack in the #2 car - this was a nice-looking ride!

post-12610-1289267145.jpg

I know the term "blown engine" is pretty generic, but whatever let go in this one blew the injectors right off! - June 17, 1972

post-12610-1289267153.jpg

Leroy being push started in his #2, 1972

post-12610-1289267160.jpg

July 8, 1972 - the driver is Jerry Mann - maybe Leroy took a sick day!

To mfbarnes - Obviously not the same car - yours is phillips with a p, mine is fillips with an f! Anyway this car with Robert Young as the driver

and owned by Marvin Fillips of San Angelo showed up here on July 3, 1971 for the Liberty Bell 300:

post-12610-1289268956.jpg

Here's the car right off the trailer as #5...

post-12610-1289268965.jpg

ontrack as #51...

post-12610-1289268974.jpg

and driver Robert Young with the car - it was much different from most Meyer Supers, but not a bad-looking ride at all!

The #5 car you posted looks a lot like several of the cars that showed-up for the first Liberty Bell 300 in 1963, except this one has

the Falcon front fenders for the hood, much like Red Garner's #3 from 1968. Your #5 is another nice-looking car!

Thanks, Tommy

The pictures of Nash's sprint flip really brings back a flood of memories for me, that was the first and only time me and my brother sat on the backstretch , I can remember him hitting the wall and taking off.... , a real attention getter for a 13-14 y/o kid.... especially when your walking up the stands and he flies by at eye level. Thanks again , for the great pictures!!!! B)

To mfbarnes - Obviously not the same car - yours is phillips with a p, mine is fillips with an f! Anyway this car with Robert Young as the driver

and owned by Marvin Fillips of San Angelo showed up here on July 3, 1971 for the Liberty Bell 300:

post-12610-1289268956.jpg

Here's the car right off the trailer as #5...

post-12610-1289268965.jpg

ontrack as #51...

post-12610-1289268974.jpg

and driver Robert Young with the car - it was much different from most Meyer Supers, but not a bad-looking ride at all!

The #5 car you posted looks a lot like several of the cars that showed-up for the first Liberty Bell 300 in 1963, except this one has

the Falcon front fenders for the hood, much like Red Garner's #3 from 1968. Your #5 is another nice-looking car!

Thanks, Tommy

The singing 5 ran at the old Devil's bowl. Driver was Billy Jack Casper, and the car was owned by Jack McCain, McCain Body Shop in Garland, TX. Note the hood was made out of two falcon fenders welded together. McCain always had a top notch car.

the color picture is after Phillips took over. Not too much long after that Lanny Edwards bought it from Jack.

Nothing like a Leroy Halphen picture minus Leroy. Maybe he gave Rat a ride to the Cellar.

The mentioned #75 Modified of Vaughn Brune is pictured/filmed on the 9/25/66 Meyer Spdwy show that was filmed by a proffesional film crew. I'm quite sure it was raced previously by another competitor. I seem to recall that at one time, Jackie Woosley and Billy Perran had very similiar modified '37/'38 Chevy Coupe Modifieds. Just a thought.

The George Nash #6 Winged Sprint/Supermodified crash on the backstretch was scary. My memory has the car upside down when he cleared the guardrail, and at some point appeared to travel backwards. Maybe a better memory than mine can elaborate. :unsure:

RETrott: is that video the race than Bill Blumrick ran-away with? If so, I will watch it again to try to find the #75 car of Vaughn Brune -

Also, here's the Jackie Woosley car of 1965, very similar to the Billy Perran car I have previously posted. Both were really nice-looking cars,

Billy's being a dark metallic blue (55-56 Dodge Royal Blue - I know because I had a '38 Chevy coupe painted the same color), and Jackie's being

orange, perhaps a burnt-orange color! Color photos from that time are hard to find!

Tommy

post-12610-1289349742.jpg

REF: Post 108

Tommy.

I think George Nash used a Ford Coupe cut down in the late 60's which had no ridge on the body side..

Ford coupes were also used but not as many as the 37-38 Chevy's

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-83.jpg

Back to the 33 USAC Sprinter. Here you see Mel Moffitt the car owner standing and Floyd Trevis wrenching on the car. Jerry Blundy is in the black boots and white driving suit, and I think that's Lee Cade is standing over him.

Archived