Quick Highlights from tonight's meeting

debwill

“FOOD FOR THOUGHT”

Performance vs. Promotion

An educated Race Car Driver/Owner with solid racing credentials can enter a competitive marketplace and succeed in acquiring sponsors. But, some have been confused by the informal structure of climbing the shaky sponsor ladder. You have to earn your right to sit down at the dealing table. You must carefully document your promotional record – appearances, printed in the media, internet, etc. as well as your racing performance record.

Approaching Sponsors, Critical Mistakes

One of the common mistakes Race Car Drivers/ Owners make when approaching sponsors is to ask sponsors, ( What can you do for me? ), this is a blatant mistake. A lot of people act like we owe them something just because you have won a race. Sponsorship relations are not about what a company can do for the race car driver anymore, they are about what a race car driver can do for a company.

A better approach is to go to a company and prove to them you know something about their company.

Considering that today’s sponsor market is more competitive than ever, that race car drivers/owners must maintain a balance of racing performance with product promotion, and racer car drivers/owners must set themselves apart by demonstrating their value to a company.

You must put together a portfolio.

Just some food for thought,,

Credited given to : Bass sponsorships..& American team sponsorships..

You can read up on many different articles: aquiring sponsorship, The Million Dollar Question, sponsorship, It's Not About You....Sponsorship workshops... Many are out there,, I thank all of them..

Sorry for leaving out the credits,, I forgot to Cite ....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelma - This is so true. Did you write this, because it sounds very familiar, like I have read it before in one of the many sponsorship books that are out there. Just curious. If it is from one of the books, you may want to credit the write author, if you wrote it - awesome because it is so true!

Just my two cents worth but I have had no problem accessing the J & S website. Its in its construction stages for the most part but it does contain some information. For you people that are not accessing the site you may want to check your firewall, on the computer software that is. Good luck..... :D

Maybe you have to be employeed by Shelma & James to access it???? The question of: " Is anyone on the front row employeed by yall?" came up at the meeting. James answered "no", Shelma answered "yes". With Shelma being the one that's putting up all the cash, I'll take the stance that she knows. I did find it rude that very few people gave you an ear that night Mr.Dano.

Thank you Jody Wayne. I did not really say that much other than I was there by invitation because I have been watching auto racing since I was around 12 years old and I now am over 70. I've viewed races throughout the US and a couple places overseas and I hope to be able to provide some input regarding the fans side of the sport. Shelma and James have asked me to be on their Fan Advisory Board along with other members yet to be selected. I accepted that position without hesitation because I want to see auto sports in SA and particularily fot those of you that provided me many great viewing hours at SAS. I do intend to "be heard" about what fans want and enjoy and hopefully the efforts of the board will make Smokin Alley Motorplex the best family entertainment park in this area. I did earlier in my life dabble in car ownership but that was back in the mid 50s when racing was relative inexpensive and not nearly as technical as today. I also worked at three different race tracks in the midwestern US so I have a little experience from that point of view also. I also hope to make contact with many of the car owners and drivers and seek their input into this board because I know well that much of the audience is made up of their families... Thanks again Jody Wayne... Dano :)

Guest turborice

Txenergyman,

WHere in the world do you keep those 300 classic cars? It would be great to spend the day looking at all of your cars. Let us know.

Thanks

Txenergyman,

WHere in the world do you keep those 300 classic cars? It would be great to spend the day looking at all of your cars. Let us know.

Thanks

Right now they are in protective storage,with the museum as part of our facility i am excited about sharing alot of them with other classic car enthusiasts. Hopefully during the building stages,i can secure a warehouse this summer and be able to invite you and others to come see some,maybe a car show function or BBQ rally. I will post more as it happens,thanks.

James

I think turbo was being sarcastic.

Hoo!!Haa!! This thread has really ran the gamut of everything good, bad, or indifferent on the subject of J &S RacTing Promotions and beyond. Let me see if I have this straight. There is this group (J & S ) who is proposing to build a multi-use motorsports complex somewhere in or around the San Antonio area AND has not asked anybody to take their hard-earned money to invest in it??? I wasn't at the meeting but it seems that no investment was requested to build it! We no longer have a facility . So why are there so many NAYSAYERS ???? We should be jumping for joy that someone is looking to provide us with an up-to-date modern facility for our motorsports pleasure. Agreed, an oval track in itself is not a sure profit venture. However, a motorsports complex as proposed is a far different story. The profitability of such a venture is based on the sum of the total not each individual part. Thank you Shelma & James for your vision and obviously smart business sense!!!!!!! If I were a car owner I would certainly owe it to myself to at least look into the sponsorship package proposed by J & S. WOW!!! $20 per month for the possibility of aquiring a tire, fuel, travel expense , car expense sponsor. How many of you spend that much for beer on race nite???? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read this deal is that J & S is the sponsor and they in turn will provide other sponsoring entities to provide monies for various expenses. Kind of like major cup sponsors and all the associate sponsors the drivers run out of breath thanking. Just my take on this subject and as long as there is hope I shall stay POSITIVE!!!!!!! Beats the hell out of NEGATIVE!!! SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!!!!

Guest turborice

We are doing a job for John O'Quinn in Houston right now. He said he would like to come to San Antonio next week to look at those 300 cars. He enjoys looking and trading. Might be a great match for you two guys.

Archived