TSTRS - Input needed

TSTRS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On those cheap tires - at a dirt track for a typical local purse, no one checks to see if you are running on second-hand asphalt tires, because it doesn't make much of a difference.  But in the context of an asphalt track, what defines a "pulloff" and how do you tech for it?  Because if you can't do both, there goes a major part of your justification for the class, as opposed to others.

And if you disregard the tire cost angle, the argument for one class vs another just reduces to how much purse do you have to pay to draw each class, as it always has been.  I don't think $5K as paid for big Factory Stock races is going to happen in the local asphalt world, at least not in the near future. 

Edited by Bobby

My vote would be factory stocks....I wouldn't mind the least bit of buying a factory stock roller and dropping my 602 in it. Even if Sport Mods became the new thing, I'd entertain the thought of building one. At the end of the day I want to race in a class where the purse is at least $1k to win, not $500. I won't mind beating up my car more than I need to to win a race for $1000

I love the Super Stock Class, but when there is a second difference between the leader and slowest car.....that's not to entertaining to watch. 

I my self has never owned or raced a super stock. I have a older pro stock that I have been running on dirt in the streetstock class. The street stock class  was the only class I could run due to my car being a Nova with a crate engine. The old pro stock rules would allow me to run at hmp. The current superstock cars are out of my budget and the factory stock class does not allow Nova's or crate engines. Funny people mention cost. A front running factory stock chassis is selling for more than my entire car complete and with all the extra parts I have. Tire , I always ran 8" pulloffs from modified .So yeah, bring back the old pro stock class so I can run asphalt again. 

Edited by scotty9

1 hour ago, TexasTornado said:

Once again ToyotaTimmy makes the best point.  People want to see racecars, not jalopies.

I dont know which factory stocks you watch but the ones I see race are really nice cars.  A new factory stock cost 10-12 thousand dollars new.  If you would have listened to Gina on rodney and Bobby's show she said it would have to be the nice looking cars.  

No matter which class they decide to run , I will continue to support hmp,  as a fan in the stands or a racer on the track. Glad to see the efforts made to make asphalt racing in Texas successful again. Thanks  to all working hard to make this happen.

Edited by scotty9

I believe that the Street Socks are more suited, and can attract more of the same type of cars from other tracks...…>>>>Street Socks<<<  belong on Asphalt racing, plain & simple....

Thanks...

Edited by metroracer

I think it’s fair to say we all know the differences between the Supers and Pros Stocks....at the end of the day most owners of the Pro Stocks don’t even bring there car to the track. 

The #90 car proved a point last race, he showed up turned some laps, had some fun and drove his car back on the trailer with a little less gas and some tires a little more worn. That is what needs to continually happen, stop focusing on winning and “oh the rules blah blah blah” 

If it’s running and ready to race, then bring it out and open that throttle up. 

Is the goal to win the race....absolutely! However I’ve been running by Super Stock for 3 years now and haven’t placed higher than 4th and it really doesn’t bother me non because I SIMPLY ENJOY RACING. 

It’s a hobby that’s pay, not a business we’re looking to build an empire on. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, rocket55 said:

I think it’s fair to say we all know the differences between the Supers and Pros Stocks....at the end of the day most owners of the Pro Stocks don’t even bring there car to the track. 

The #90 car proved a point last race, he showed up turned some laps, had some fun and drove his car back on the trailer with a little less gas and some tires a little more worn. That is what needs to continually happen, stop focusing on winning and “oh the rules blah blah blah” 

If it’s running and ready to race, then bring it out and open that throttle up. 

Is the goal to win the race....absolutely! However I’ve been running by Super Stock for 3 years now and haven’t placed higher than 4th and it really doesn’t bother me non because I SIMPLY ENJOY RACING. 

It’s a hobby that’s pay, not a business we’re looking to build an empire on. 

The Pro-Stocks were proven to be popular with  the racers and the fans alike for years & years,  why change that formula.  yes some updating is needed here and there.....

Street Stocks or Pro Stocks is better all the way around.  Supers need to be with the Outlaws....

Thanks...

Edited by metroracer

metroracer makes a damn good point. Those "ASPHALT STYLE STREET STOCKS" are some bad ass looking cars. As a racer, and a fan, I can tell you that the fans get very excited when they hear the announcer say- "It's Street Stock" time! This is a class that the people in the grand stands can relate to. Not to mention that they are very competitive. There are stock bodies as well as aftermarket bodies for these cars that are readily available, and fairly economical. Want to look like a 85 Monte Carlo? No problem. Want to look like a 2015 Cadillac CTS? No problem. Want to look like a 2015 Mustang? No problem. The 108" metric frame has a slew of different looks available. There is no reason to have 3 or 4 or 5 or more different classes that all look alike. This is the problem I see with what is running now. Super stocks, Outlaw Stocks, Late Model Stocks, Modifieds... They all look alike to the people in the bleachers, and NONE of them look like anything they have ever owned, or driven. The best way to win over the fans is to give them competive race cars that they can relate to. That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!!! BTW- I do NOT like "Factory Stock" rules. I think there are way too many little ticky-tacky rules meant to give cheaters, and engine builders the ability to dominate the class, and take advantage of the guys who are actually paying to build a race car out of their pockets.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, Chipperd93 said:

metroracer makes a damn good point. Those "ASPHALT STYLE STREET STOCKS" are some bad ass looking cars. As a racer, and a fan, I can tell you that the fans get very excited when they hear the announcer say- "It's Street Stock" time! This is a class that the people in the grand stands can relate to. Not to mention that they are very competitive. There are stock bodies as well as aftermarket bodies for these cars that are readily available, and fairly economical. Want to look like a 85 Monte Carlo? No problem. Want to look like a 2015 Cadillac CTS? No problem. Want to look like a 2015 Mustang? No problem. The 108" metric frame has a slew of different looks available. There is no reason to have 3 or 4 or 5 or more different classes that all look alike. This is the problem I see with what is running now. Super stocks, Outlaw Stocks, Late Model Stocks, Modifieds... They all look alike to the people in the bleachers, and NONE of them look like anything they have ever owned, or driven. The best way to win over the fans is to give them competive race cars that they can relate to. That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!!! BTW- I do NOT like "Factory Stock" rules. I think there are way too many BS little ticky-tacky rules meant to give cheaters, and thieving scum engine builders the ability to dominate the class, and take advantage of the guys who are actually paying to build a race car out of their pockets.

Yes Thank You,  The Street Stocks Idea is solid....To be able to attract more cars from other tracks.....Factory's are not a good choice in my opinion... They are a class that is very much suited for dirt track racing more better.

Thanks

Edited by metroracer

That is a valid point that will need to be addressed. If not completely dropped, at least "rotated." I know that I will get some opposition here, but I am of the opinion that the Super Stocks, and the Outlaw Stocks are far too similar to be two different classes. Especially when neither class has been able to come up with a decent car count. I have seen more negativity on this forum from the drivers of these two classes than any other. I believe that there should be a way to combine them so the fans won't have to sit through two different classes of a handful of cars that look identical. I still like the idea of Street Stocks with sensible rules, or a Limited Modified class as long as the cheaters with $10,000+ motors, and $1,000 shocks are somehow not allowed.

Great conversation! Will say not in a spot to build a new class in my opinion thats why she asked about a cross over.  I'd love an asphalt street stock class that's the biggest hole in puzzle in my opinion but when we have had 0 paved tracks that explains that. You wanna be a late model racer run the class closest to that and be done with it have always been irritated with the teams that wanna spend late model $ in the stock class because they can't afford late models.

Totally agree, need fewer classes and they will rotate so teams need to be prepared to have some nights off and not be so pissed they don't show up on the nights that division is racing. I feel confident saying if you are in a low count division you may be in trouble, talk to your fellow racers and their asses out there.

Edited by RodneyRodriguez

I have an IMCA style stock car that also fits the Cotton Bowl/I-37 street stock rules, plan to run it soon. The car is similar to the car that I raced at Red River and Altus in the sportsman class and at a few Dallas area dirt tracks after I sold it. 

It definitely would be fun to put on a sway bar and move the ballast.

Both the street stock/stock car class and the factory stock class could be great on pavement.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:54 AM, Chipperd93 said:

That is a valid point that will need to be addressed. If not completely dropped, at least "rotated." I know that I will get some opposition here, but I am of the opinion that the Super Stocks, and the Outlaw Stocks are far too similar to be two different classes. Especially when neither class has been able to come up with a decent car count. I have seen more negativity on this forum from the drivers of these two classes than any other. I believe that there should be a way to combine them so the fans won't have to sit through two different classes of a handful of cars that look identical. I still like the idea of Street Stocks with sensible rules, or a Limited Modified class as long as the cheaters with $10,000+ motors, and $1,000 shocks are somehow not allowed.

Yes I agree with Chipperd93....

Grandfather in the Supers with Outlaws,  Restore the Pro-Stock / Street Stock Division,  and may be rotate the Factory's with the Eco's or Legacy's sometimes....

Thanks...

Edited by metroracer

Factory Stocks and Limited Mods have equal rules at all tracks across Texas for the most part.  I could take a Factory Stock and go run I-37, Texana, STS, Waco, CBS all tracks in South Texas.  Same thing with the Limited Mods.  The rules are set, the main thing you would need to look at it is Purse.  Your going to have to make the purse worth while for these racers to come from dirt to asphalt.  These guys are racers and are used to racing every week.  These guys will travel but you have to make it worth it.  You have to ask yourself this question.  Why would I want to go run asphalt in Houston when I can go run dirt at such in such track for same purse if not better, I'm not gonna tear up tires, have to completely change setup and just the extra expenses of having to travel to Houston and be at the track all day long?

These are the two best options for a dirt/asphalt crossover but will you get the racers out there? Maybe a couple but I don't think you will get a whole lot.