SAS & THR from Brian

Guest Brian L Callaway

LMAO @ Rebel(the other one) and Rookie 49.

One thing that I might interject here regarding the potential of disposing of cars from dropped classes.

TAMS, in the beginning about 90% of the cars were dirt cars that could have been converted back......hell Lawrence was still winning in his dirt car.

TSRS, most of those cars were nowhere near what they are today coming from the Super Street class. I'm sure they could have been changed for CCMS or even to meet Hot Stock on dirt rules.

So to say that the cars would have been collecting dust or weeds, isn't actually entirely true.

But what do I know..........this is obviously my first rodeo? Where's the horses? :huh:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the press release would be great as usual. we the racers and the staff @thr talked about this last season . I and many people believe that if we were given some free tickets from time to time we could help promote the track for free , yup you heard me free. The tickets dont cost much for a generic roll and the new fans will spend money on concessions . They will likely get hooked and come back again and pay their own way in . The price at the gate aint much for a regular show and once they see that they will return . the track cant loose on this cause the food and drinks will far ofsett the price of a roll of tickets. I won 2 free tickets this year along with the feature and who got the tickets ? my brother inlaw , and he has brought his family and friends every nite since . No less than 8 people each nite just because of 2 tickets that may have cost 2-3 pennies . Id say thats a great return . Not to mention they have brought people i dont even know and they had a hell of a time. Most have come back after their first vist to thr. Who knows maybe thr can make enough to fix the damn speakers in the pits . we have done with out them for 3+ years and its time .

Free tickets are really great as long as the end up in the hands of new fans and not fans who would have attended anyway.

We tried a few different ways to disseminate free (or very low cost) tickets at SAS back in the 90's. While there were a few "new" folks who presented the free tickets, our front gate staff recognized many "regulars" who also presented free or discounted tickets.

The only time it seemed to work satisfactorily was when the free or discounted tickets were given to a company or a school to disseminate.

Nick Holt

The word free... really doesn't help the track when it comes to Revenue... Buy one get one free maybe...

Track Revenue areas...

Front Gate

Pit Gate

Sponsorship

% of Concessions *(If lucky 30% of Profits)

*** ever ran a resturant? Parents own one.. and the overhead SUCKS...

Meet them half way.. Buy one get one free might be better off.. Concession won't work

Its all about the new Blood.... Some you will get to repeat business.. many others... Just there cuzz they got free tickets... the odds are real good that its for the free tickets..

I remember someone posting on here saying they got free tickets to last year's Oktoberfast, because on the first weekend of Oktoberfast, they weren't happy with the show. I wonder if this guy still comes out. I also remeber in last year's ROMCO events, I would see people wearing wrist bands and having free food and drinks, I think they work with the company or something, hope they are still coming out. I try inviting friends to go out to the track, but there's always an excuse not to go, also meet alot of people that like NASCAR and tell them about our local tracks, but I'm not sure if they go, hopefully someone has gone.

one thing sas rents out iguess the concessionssame as kyle my guess. idont know about houston.thers proffit gone. indeed purse has to do with alot of why peole park there cars. when we raced kyle last year we told some poeple that we were there to race at kyle they didnt even know they had a track their. go figure. i left my local track because of burglers or some thing like that.they pay the most money for what they let you run rule wise and they are having trouble local car count . with out reg. sat racing you would need touring series as much as a jury at a micki.le jackson trail.

What about the biker's chic?...and do you both go to jail after the biker beats you to a pulp?

Too many bikers to fight

Wasn't enough tequilla to make the bikers chic look good...

T-bone made friends with biker

Biker came to the races the next night

No fight, no jail, saved the money we woulda spent on bail...

Guest HMPFlagman

This whole topic was discussed at our Drivers meeting tonight before our dismal car count for a REGIONAL qualifying event for the legends. we had maybe 20? And they all did an excellent job of trying to win the race in the first 10-15 laps. I figured we had more people in the stands tonight than we did for TAMS which was interesting to say the least. Adn even when the winds picked up (and took some of my flags with it) and the weather looked dismal they stuck it out. Great night of racing though. Graham pretty much told everyone like it was... "We're doing our part on getting people here, we need yall to get off your duffs and invite your neighboors,friends,etc to come... and if you can't get your friends to come watch you race, well, find some new freinds" He also made some excellent points about how SAS was supposed to close, THR was due to close, and HRP in Baytown (Dirt Track) is not looking to close. Graham is in partnership with a dirt track that is ALSO closing down. David wants to put in a road course, and they are adding MORE grandstands for the dragstrip. Graham basically just said that the drivers need to thank the dragstrip guys for making it possible to afford to keep the circle track alive. Graham and David saw some big potential in the speedway when they bought it, but now, we're starting to see, and they're starting to voice what everyone else is going through.

10 years ago, there were 50% more short tracks in America than there are today..

On a positive story tonight...

After the race, I was packing up my rig and climbing out of the flagstand, a guy was talking to Mick Anderson our "Color announcer" as I like to call him, about how he hadnt been back since the place was DIRT and that he came out tonight expecting to find a dirt track with some ok racing but found an asphalt track with GREAT racing, Mick told him that normally we have a big touring series when we run the oval, and the guy said our local show was great on its own and that the next time he comes, he's brining some friends. He called us Houston's best kept secret. :Shrug: He seemed genuine in that.

I think we all just need to sit tight and ride this one out. Yes we may loose some facilties, and people in the process, but in the end, it'll work itself out.

Its a shame that with SAS closing and THR closing and with HMP only opening because the drag strip pays the way that they can't just close Houston. I mean you guys could keep the ship channel and all but the town really would be better off if it closed. Like they say Houston, It's a great place to be from. If you closed the town then the race fans could come over here and then maybe SAS and THR wouldn't have to close. By the way did HMP fill in Brian Callaway and Terry Dickerson on the fact That HMP has scheduled the closing of SAS and THR so that they could inform their drivers and fans. Wouldn't want all of us to show up next Saturday and find out that we have to Drive to Houston. :huh:

HMPflagman, I dont understand you saying the Bakers have done their part on letting the public know about the track and then you say a guy tells you its Houstons best kept secret, something doesnt sound right...... I'm not knocking HMP or the Bakers, that is a GREAT facility and they are REALLY nice people, but if everyone in Houston doesnt know or have heard of HMP from advertisement from the track them the track isnt trying to make noise for itself.....

In San Antonio,people have already forgotten about Alamo Dragway,even with it's storied past.If you ask anyone about a racetrack,you will hear Retama Park or San Antonio Raceway,not Alamo Dragway or San Antonio Speedway.Why?Advertising...can't live with it(expensive)can't live without it(even more expensive).

The most expensive thing about a racetrack?........the empty seats.

I like the flyer I found on the windshield at SAS last night...did they do that at the other tracks?Sea World?Fiesta Texas?The theaters?The malls?etc........?

I think SAS is heading in the right direction, it won't happen over night, but in time I think more people will know about our home track. There's alot of things being done and it's a start, haven't seen things going on like this before, you're doing a great job. Hope we have a good turn out at Dave and Buster's, maybe they can cater at one of the big event's at SAS in the future, that's a prime spot, also the radio stion will help, should attract some new fans. I know the mall's get packed on the weekend's, maybe we can get an SAS show car outside of Sears or something.

Guest HMPFlagman

He was just saying that SAS and THR were looking like they were going to close, experince some REALLY hard times before this season before Terry and Mary Ann bought into the facilities. "We spent 40,000 dollars on radio adverstising for NASCAR race, and still barely sold out." He never "scheduled" their closing. The whole point of what he was saying, is what we've been talking about for the past few days on here, and thats how to keep these places open and get more people in the stands for every event, attract local sponors to sponsor local cars, etc. He was in no way knocking on other facilities because he's friends with those guys.

I don't know how many of you are familar with the west coast tracks, but Mesa Marin in Bakersfield California, closing up at the end of the season.

HMPFLAG-

I don't know this Baker guy, I've heard he has a nice facility, but it seems to me that he went and opened his mouth about something that he doesn't know about. Can't speak for anybody but myself, but as a general rule, a Businessman doesn't come in and spend and change like Dickerson is doing unless he is thinking longterm. I am assuming that he knows he is going to take a loss by spending so much but he is MAKING AN INVESTMENT. He seems a little too smart to think that he is going to do the things he's been doing the past few months and make it all up before July is over.

Guest HMPFlagman

And thats why he and his brother bought the HMP, for the same reason Dickerson bought SAS, and thats to help short track racing in Texas grow because they all see potential in it, and that its not going to happen over night but we all as track workers, and drivers need to start helping spread the word as well... I can't quote word for word for what was said in the meeting, but he's on the same side everyone else is. He was in no way critizing or demeaning any other faciltiy. I feel like I'm getting railroaded here for my inability to quote word for word what was said to capture the real message that you guys have seemed to skip over because your facilities were mentioned. They don't want to see short track racing disappear, niether does Terry, neither does Mary Ann/Brian, nor does CCMS... He said that they all seem to share the same vision, and thats to help short track racing in Texas GROW

Archived