How bad is NASCAR now?

arob

Jimmie Johnson/ Chad Knaus get caught cheating for the umpteenth time and for the umpteenth time gets a slap on the wrist.

Earnhardt's truck team gets caught cheating yet the win is not taken away. (Can't have NASCAR's most popular driver dinged).

Brian France not only has made NASCAR a joke but he is damaging asphalt short tracks across the country.The biggest state in the USA only has 3.One runs part time,one holds a $5000 to win $750 to start and gets only 12 Late Models (which seems to be the norm except for Florida and the Carolinas) and that was the largest class of the night.

I really think the decline of NASCAR and the decline in short track asphalt racing go hand in hand. It hurts because all of us old timers grew up on asphalt racing and it was good. SAS was the last great asphalt track and it is gone.I commend HMP,CCS and CTS for trying. It has got to be tough.

The sport of auto racing has changed. In the big leagues talent is easily replaced by cubic dollars. Side by side racing has pretty much gone the way of the do-do bird. There are a few exceptions but rare.

The same is happening to short tracks. Racing is slowly being replaced by follow the leader. The darlington race in which Kurt Bush and Ricky Craven battled all the way to the stripe was one of the greatest finishes in Nascar history. Nascar in return did a way with one of the two darlington races for yet another aero 1.5 mile track. These tracks for the majority do not produce "racing" but more 500 miles of haves and have nots in order of cubic dollars spent. While short tracks still have the limited size of track to help reduce the advantage of aerodynamics it still seems to favor the dollar.

The truck series was formed many years ago in an effort to build a stepping stone for local talent to take a step into the big leagues without the need for huge budgets. With no green flag pit stops, a competition caution at half way and running many of the same tracks across the country as local racers, it was an instant success. However with the increasing push to get sponsors tv time it was pushed into the same venues as the then Busch series and Cup series. Getting farther away from the short tracks it started on it became a truck body version of the Busch series. Now those two step series are dominated by the large cup teams. The same ones dominating the cup series.

So there you go, you take what works, and is good for the sport and turn it into a corporation which sole purpose is to make money and you end up with formula one of a few years ago. Billionaire teams running in the front, low budget teams in the back, and no passing except when a pit stop goes bad. And yes, favoritism. JMO

wow, rainouts leave you all too much time to think. just think about todays up and coming generation, its not the same. we have to figure out how to rebuild with what we have. I now have my three grand daughters, they are all interested in racing. 6 10 and 12 years old. where do I start? they want to race like me but not many beginner classes. we used to have bombers. 7 inch wheels auto trans(not powerglides) stock motors, street tires. jmo. we need a bomber class

Gentleman James Huff and I are doing our best to bridge the gap between the Karts, Quarter Midgets and Bandoleros into a full racing chassis with a full racing suspension, minus the sway bar, by re-forming the Legacy series. These cars a pretty darn quick, a blast to drive and are economical to run. And we're emphasizing sportsmanship and clean racing rather than cutthroat racing.

We may fall flat on our faces, but so far the Lone Star Legacy idea has begun to catch on a bit. We're not perfect, that's for sure, but at least our heart is in the right place and we're committed to seeing this deal through.

Nick

I really think the decline of NASCAR and the decline in short track asphalt racing go hand in hand. It hurts because all of us old timers grew up on asphalt racing and it was good. SAS was the last great asphalt track and it is gone.I commend HMP,CCS and CTS for trying. It has got to be tough.

Totally agree here! There are so many problems with nascar that it is probably beyond repair. As for the local stuff, it's about ups and downs and working hard to make it successful. It's just a lot easier to shoot yourself in the foot than it is get everything to work. Trial and error.

Nascar had a chance to do what other sports did and blew it. There is no way they get 200 asphalt short tracks opened back up with 30+ car fields of super late models. Stick a fork in it. The tried and true stock car racing fan that lived and breathed the sport is an endangered species right now. Nascar decided a long time ago to cater to the cheese and wine crowd. They like shorter races, everyone on the lead lap, no blown engines, perfect pit stops by everyone, people with looks, names, prissy personalities. I went from knowing a lot of people that went to asphalt or dirt local racing but never watched Cup racing to a lot that watched it on tv but wouldn't dare step foot in a local short track. The later is a tv race fan but not a tried and true race fan. They come and go, and right now most of them have gone. Can Nascar get them back? We will see.

Not the drivers fault.They are doing the best with what they are given.Definitive is right Brian France traded the real fan for the wine and cheese and he can see the result in empty seats.Seats they are now removing or covering up. BobbyJack there is a emerging class on the dirt side that is a great entry level class for the young ones, E-Mods. Most of this class is made up of under 18 year olds. TRP used to have the mini stock class with an age limit and those kids were good and fun to watch as well.6-12 year olds probably have to start out with karts.Pretty sure track insurers won't go with that age in a full size car.

Next y'all will say there should not be a hall of fame

Of coarse there should. But what is the requirement to get inducted? Seems to change from year to year

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....and how long have I been saying this?.....Only to be called a conspiracy theorist.....I wonder if Rick Hendrick has pictures of Brian France with his pants down around his ankles?

NA$CAR screwed the pooch a long time ago.....It's no longer about the fans....only corporate dollars!

Agree with rebel and Nick. The best class i ever ran in was the legacys. It was super fun, way inexpensive to maintain, fast cars. These days, its all about the $$$$. People say money doesn't buy talent but that aint true. Put a local Kid thats good in a late model because he has the BEST stuff in a street stock or hobby stock. He wouldnt know what to do with that kind of low budget stuff. What does larry Reynolds always say? The guy isnt that good in the car because he lacks the top dollar equipment. So that seems to be the excuse for drivers in top level. If your a true wheelman, you can drive anything and put it on the podium. Of course these kids are going to be fast once you start them out in the best cars money can buy. I would hope so. Money does buy the talent, i dont care who you are. Start a kid out in a execptable or an old out dated car, well you know.......I miss seeing true talent that got earned and worked their way up. Kids in Nascar trucks at 16, money got them there.

That's funny allout, I told my dad that same thing the other day while talking about this. Look at all the Super/Pro Lates results from around the country. You will see a ton of drivers under 20 that are driving them. Some do well and can drive, some are liabilities that use family name and fat bankrolls to justify. You can't blame the kids or drivers for the money game, it's like blaming athletes in any sport for making a ton of money. Even mediocre athletes get big funding, racing isn't much different now. We've talked about this a little at home too. Recently, Dale Jr got fined and docked points for failing post race inspection, Chad Knaus/Jimmie Johnson got caught cheating AGAIN, with little to no punishment. Imagine what would happen if NASCAR ran like 95% of the race tracks in the world? You fail a post race inspection, you lose points/money for that event none of this, well you need to satisfy sponsors so we'll put you on probation don't do it again but congrats on the win and here's your full purse and in some cases, we told you not to do it again but you are a name in out sport so it's all good. That's a problem not to mention the cars are designed now that races are boring and even the good tracks they had left get reconfigured to ruin what they had (Bristol). Honestly, I don't want to help NASCAR, I would much rather go to a Saturday night short track program anywhere in America and enjoy racing for the three or four hours at the track than the maybe 10-15 minutes of excitement NASCAR maybe provides per race. That's all just opinion though and of course, some will love NASCAR no matter what they do and it's all good.

Money doesnt buy talent with football, baseball, basketball, tennis, golf, swimming, etc. If Nascar would STOP changing rules on daily basis, it might be better. I pay more attention to our local short tracks also. The only thing i could complain about in local racing is the follow the leader racing. Kinda gets boring. Its good if you do alot of side betting. You can make alot of money lol.

Money doesnt buy talent with football, baseball, basketball, tennis, golf, swimming, etc. If Nascar would STOP changing rules on daily basis, it might be better. I pay more attention to our local short tracks also. The only thing i could complain about in local racing is the follow the leader racing. Kinda gets boring. Its good if you do alot of side betting. You can make alot of money lol.

Follow the leader racing , All tracks should put in one major rule every one must race side by side period . 1st place car if your car is faster you must slow down for , 2 place must slow down for 3rd place for forth and so on gotta give the fans a better show ..or we will wield ,chain. tie strap what ever it takes to keep you guys side by side ... forget your a better team dont be innovative that is a waste of time and money ...now nascar is trying that how is it working out so far ....all you can do is keep a basic set of rules and hope for the best .someone will out smart the rule anyway to get the edge ..you build ten cars all the same exact way to the tee .and not one will match up with each other on the track ..

anyone ever figure gambling has anything to do with the post race decisions. Think about it this way, if you place a big bet on Johnson and he wins the race you would expect to collect but do you have to wait for post race inspection. That's where France is between a rock and a hard spot. Does he DQ someone or let it slide with just a penalty?

Hey hi-tech is on to something. Back when i started in the old long horn days the fast cars started in the rear. To win you had to pass. And wrecking the field to get there isnt an option. It gives those who were off just a bit a chance. Rarely was it ever follow the leader racing. But, thats just my opinion.

I believe CCS was like that too. Lineups by point averages, highest ones in back and drivers won, not cars. Seems like now on asphalt anyways, the cars that can race side by side (generally speaking) are the smaller cars (Legacy or Dwarfs) and those on street tires (Bombers and Sport Compacts), the faster cars with racing tires tend to fall in line and wait for or force a mistake. Not knocking it, just stating the observations I've noticed the past few years. On dirt, there's generally racing all over the track, side by side, three wide, slide jobs, etc. Not trying to spark the dirt vs asphalt debate, just stating what I've seen and lately the trends have shown higher attendance percentages at dirt tracks than asphalt although CTS and HMP had good attendance last season. Want to gauge interest, let's look at last weekend. A big $5000 to win Late Model race at HMP, 12 showed up and half didn't finish. Put together a $5000 to win dirt race together in any class and more than likely you'll see B or C Mains before the big show. That's just the way it's going right now. Again, not trying to knock asphalt racing because I love both, but if I have an option of a big dirt race vs a big asphalt race, I'm going to the dirt track. NASCAR'S woes has nothing to do with that either.

Yessir. $5000 to win Sportmod race at STS 85+ cars. Plus the fan gets to see them race 9-12 times 9 (heats, C,B and A mains). $5000 to win Late Model 12 cars and the fan gets to see them race one time. At this point I think it would be better for the track and the fan they do a $3000 to win street stock with the STXSSS format with passing points.THAT would be an event!

Archived