ASCS at STS May 25 Canceled

LMS37

Sure hope this racin' rumor is false!!! I have several friends flying to CC from the west coast to see that race. A quick "official" clarification would be appreciated...

If it is cancelled, they're running Shady Oaks or Edna on May 24, only about 2 hours to each track from CC.

10/4, sked shows SOS (way better racetrack, it's be a smokin' hott show) on the 24th. Unfortunatly, my bud's land in CC on the 25th. Seems they wasted some serious cash?

Yes, I'm sorry. I cancelled the sprint cars. Due to several factors that were in place I felt that now was not a good time to have them. I will instead be taking some of the money that sprint cars cost and am going to use it on local classes. I will be adding some Challenge races this year that will increase the purse for our local drivers and classes. I want to keep the money here locally.

Thank you for your support.

I like this. Reward the guys that support the track every week!! STS work on the purses for the local classes hopefully we can get more cars back out there and as a result more people in the stands EVERY race night and not just big shows. JMO

Well I see the point and am willing to see how it shakes out.But it screws the fans big time out of a chance to see something we usually don't get to see but once or twice a year.Granted the locals are strong here even thought the car counts have been down in the Mods and Pure Stocks so far.I heard today from a good source that USMTS wants to come back to STS.Hopefully that works out.They were awesome in Feb.STS has spoiled some of us by bringing big shows in the past.Hopefully the new ideas will bring the car counts up per class like before too.Thank you LLM's for showing up like you have.

I agree Greg, I definitely see the logic. I like watching the Sprints but won't make that date anyways and the purse of one ASCS race is probably close to a full night of weekly classes. I'd love to see 3 or 4 big money races for the weekly guys over one night of Sprints as good as they are.

Having been there and done it, and yes I got the t-shirt I find it hard to accept that a track that has two of the top three dates of a racing season gives up on them and does not recognize the impact that a "dropped" on the posted schedule does to the tracks public credability let alone those who for some time have watched the schedul to make sure of the dates are good , make their plans, and then out of the blue a fan makes the announcement of the dropped decision on this web site without an official statement from the track. There are also those who count on more than one race to make it financially feasable to race who were obviously left out of the decision making process if there was one. And then one wonders why the stands are seldom half full. Until the fans are placed near the top of the satisfied list it will not get any better and what ever happened to using the local media to make an announcement of this type let alone posting the results on a regular basis.

I've also been there, done that. Been promoting speed plants for over 25 years and have the resume (and polo shirts) to prove it. I'm guessing this new owner doesn't understand the negitive impact a last minute cancellation makes on folks who made big plans.

Actions like this rub racers, sponsors, media and racefans the wrong way ... and it takes a long time to win back their trust. For the time being, I'll support Shady Oaks Speedway because they don't cancel shows that hard-working race fans (and racers) were counting on.

As for my out-of-state friends (who spent big bucks on plane tickets) they'll never trust a South Texas Speedway schedule again...

I assure you very few are more disappointed than I am.But this was the previous promoters schedule.Owen had 8 years of sponsors and developement built up that would easily support ASCS and USMTS. All those connections and expertise is now gone.STS is essentially starting over.True late cancelling a much anticipated show like ASCS is not a good thing.But if you don't have the money for it what else can you do.STS went from an local dirt track to a regionally recognized track.I just hope we don't go back to just a local dirt track again. I will continue to support STS because the racing is still strong there.STS still has the best racers as a whole.Until that falls off I'll be there.But I won't on the 24th.

I respect Kens decision having locals racing, plus STXSSS and ASCS? I am not sure that a standing room only crowd could pay for that show and god help everyone if there was a small threat of rain which keeps drivers from making the risky long pull. This early in the game I think Ken made a wise decision for the best interests of local fans and drivers. Unfortunate for the ones that made plans I sympathize with them. Hopefully STS continues with their great start to the season and builds on it so these decisions in the future are easier!

Archived