CTS street stocks

Brad

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Matt and Paul agree on something this week. :D

Here is the deal, radios were originally not allowed last season, everyone complained that it was unsafe with the speeds at SAS, so we decided to allow them, and that brought them to CTS.

The issue then became instead of everyone having a scanner so the track could communicate for line ups and other reasons, we only had communication with the 2 spotters that actually came to the spotters stand.

Now this is a great debate but before it gets out of hand..........I am sure tomorrow a CTS official will start contacting all 14 drivers that raced at CTS last weekend for there vote. When we get to 8 we will have a winner and the decision will be made for the rest of the season.

Thanks

Chris

So that is the main issue, communication between officials and drivers. John, I didn't know you used radios. SAS is a good place to use them. Chris, you guys are doing great up there so it's a sign of good things. If drivers are using radios then they should get their spotters in the proper place. Just glad to see a good car count. See y'all in ten days.

This was copied directly form the 2014 Central Texas Speedway General Rules. I don't think I would have spent money on radios for a Street Stock.

Radios and Scanners 1. 2-way radios will be allowed in Pro Late Models, Modifieds, and Trucks.

2. 2-way radios will not be allowed in any other classes.

3. All competitors are required to have a scanner, it is optional to be listened to by either the driver or spotter unless you do not have 2-way radios it must be worn by the driver.

I thought radios weren't allowed at CCS John? It was said multiple times at drivers meetings for all classes. When did that change?

Don't really have a dog in this fight since my class isn't allowed them anyways, but if the track has one way communication with the drivers on the track, other than trucks, mods, and pro lates, I wouldn't think it would be needed on a smaller track than SAS

Something about a chrome horn i have found in most cases will usually adjust .. 1 radio frequency on how it is being used . .2 mirror racing eye balls on where they really need to look . ...mirror's have a place and so do radio's . and so does the chrome horn..your choice ..

Back in the day when we ran street stocks heavy on the stock part your vision was better out of a stock body with the newer bodies vision is limited to what it was in stock bodies if your window net is right peep mirrors offer you nothing , in my opinion radios should be opiontial

Wow! Have been racing supers at Kyle for a long time , never used radios before, as a matter of fact never had a mirror either, to each his own , maybe they help you win lmao

Wasn't talking about winning. I mentioned keeping our cars in one peace and for the sake of safety that's all. Obviously you can win without them but like I said if we can avoid the avoidable then why not. I'm sure that's what the other 3 classes use it for....

Street stocks use to not have tube frames, latemodel bodies, floater rear ends, or rebuildable shocks either. So why not keep your radios, throw on 10" tires and run it as a late model? :P

I think the scanners are great, we use them in TPS. It speeds up on restarts, it helps when the leaders are coming up on lap traffic and the laps cars are told the leaders are coming and when a caution is thrown everyone knows at the same time.

2-way radios have there pros & cons as well, it is great to have someone counting down the laps or let you know if you have a tire going down under caution and so forth, as for having someone drive the car for me while I'm driving, they can just build there own car and give it a shot!!!

Let the people who want radios use them but the spotter has to have the scanner in one ear and radio on other just like nascar and other premier divisons do it

In fairness...this is probably the route we will try to go.

After talking to several drivers it is split down the middle. Although I would prefer to do scanners only, I respect the racers and we will let it be optional.

That being said, if you have a radio in the car you must have a spotter in the spotter area. No radio, must have scanner to listen to race control. We need those with radios to work on getting a scanner for their spotter to listen to. Several spotters in romco and usra says would do this and it helped tremendously with getting line ups sorted out. Most probably already have a scanner laying around so hopefully this won't be a big deal.

Once again thanks everybody for supporting CTS...see you next weekend!

Radios should be an "all or none" decision in any or all classes. As previously posted quoting the class rules "no radios allowed" seems like the track made the rule and those who chose to use radios should have been dq'd. But then again this is just my opinion. I could care less either way the decision is made to use or not use the radios, but either make them required or not allowed. And using the "we got to use them at sas" is not a good excuse. Different track, different year.

This was copied directly form the 2014 Central Texas Speedway General Rules. I don't think I would have spent money on radios for a Street Stock.

"Radios and Scanners 1. 2-way radios will be allowed in Pro Late Models, Modifieds, and Trucks.

2. 2-way radios will not be allowed in any other classes.

3. All competitors are required to have a scanner, it is optional to be listened to by either the driver or spotter unless you do not have 2-way radios it must be worn by the driver."

Archived