Dust.... Time to get used to it.

Banker36

I've read on here and other places about people complaining about dust... Folks, it's time to get used to it. It's just part of dirt track racing. They would have to keep the track 100% tacky for the whole night not to have it. That doesn't need to happen. It would be nice if the stands were built with the south wind at your back but they weren't and that's just how it's gotta be.

But what the track has done letting the track go dry slick is what they need to do. The majority of your dirt racers do not want to race on a tacky/heavy track. A heat race is one thing but its nice to have the track change as the night goes on. There are some real hot shoes looking to start visiting this track in the modified division and these guys want to race on dry slick conditions. A heavy track is very tough on our equipment and honestly doesn't require near the attention to detail to drive as a dry slick track does so if you want to see good side by side skilled racing then let the track do what they're doing. I'm a bad asthmatic and it kicks my butt every time I visit or drive on a track cause of the dust but its just part of it. Dry slick is the way to go and all tracks no matter where you are get dusty.

They would have to keep the track 100% tacky for the whole night not to have it.

.....and that isn't going to happen in Texas during the 90-100 degree months.....

It's all a matter of which way the wind is blowing....Come prepared....goggles and a dust mask if needed....Pack a wet rag to wipe off with....

If you thought last Saturday was bad, try Eldora or Terre Haute during a Sunday afternoon show....lol

I've read on here and other places about people complaining about dust... Folks, it's time to get used to it. It's just part of dirt track racing. They would have to keep the track 100% tacky for the whole night not to have it. That doesn't need to happen. It would be nice if the stands were built with the south wind at your back but they weren't and that's just how it's gotta be.

But what the track has done letting the track go dry slick is what they need to do. The majority of your dirt racers do not want to race on a tacky/heavy track. A heat race is one thing but its nice to have the track change as the night goes on. There are some real hot shoes looking to start visiting this track in the modified division and these guys want to race on dry slick conditions. A heavy track is very tough on our equipment and honestly doesn't require near the attention to detail to drive as a dry slick track does so if you want to see good side by side skilled racing then let the track do what they're doing. I'm a bad asthmatic and it kicks my butt every time I visit or drive on the track cause of the dust but its just part of it. Dry slick is the way to go and all tracks no matter where you are get dusty.

Well I have watched two Street Stock Shootout Races there is some passing that goes on but that's it. I like it much better when I can see two or three groups of cars raceing side by side fighting for every position like its for first instead it looks like a train going round and round.

But what the track has done letting the track go dry slick is what they need to do. The majority of your dirt racers do not want to race on a tacky/heavy track. A heat race is one thing but its nice to have the track change as the night goes on. There are some real hot shoes looking to start visiting this track in the modified division and these guys want to race on dry slick conditions. A heavy track is very tough on our equipment and honestly doesn't require near the attention to detail to drive as a dry slick track does so if you want to see good side by side skilled racing then let the track do what they're doing. I'm a bad asthmatic and it kicks my butt every time I visit or drive on the track cause of the dust but its just part of it. Dry slick is the way to go and all tracks no matter where you are get dusty.

No, it doesn't have to be that way. You can have a "dry-slick" track without dust. Just as a point of reference, look at all of the top dirt tracks in the country and see how they prep the track; I PROMISE they aren't dust bowls. Not a knock on the track at all because I know they haven't quite figured it out yet; but for someone to say that is the norm is crazy!

I would venture to say Texas Thunder is one of the best in the state and no I have not been to everyone of them and it gets dusty. Waco gets dusty. Abilene was dusty during during the Ice breaker. I-37 got dusty.

I agree that cotton bowl gets bad and if their larger water truck was working yes the track prep for a dry slick would be even better. It would be packed down more. The last time I was there was 3 or 4 weeks ago when the mods ran and the track was almost perfect except for the ring of dirt up top but prepped right and long enough it will eventually get worked in.

I know I'm just a crew guy and part time driver right now but very shortly I'm gunna be a full time driver/car owner and ill say right now I like the direction they're headed. I don't care to run that sloppy heavy tacky stuff. It tears cars up and takes forever to clean off.

By looking at the pics from last weekend, yes the heats looked dusty as hell. As for the features, the tracked looked totally different and I didn't see dust flying in the pics. That, is a well prepped track. The track cant control which way or how hard the wind is blowing. Not supposed to be any wind Saturday night. As far as tire bill, that's just part of dirt track racing and I understand that the dry slick can be tough on tires. With a little grinding and siping, they can last longer than you think. I won the feature a few weeks ago with tires I bought and used for Abilene back in February. I would rather replace tires than motors/driveshafts/gears/J-bars etc.... Keep it dry.

The first street stock race last year was no where close to the track of this past weekend. CBS has made huge progress in a short amount of time. My hats off to them for trying and discovering a better way. They will figure out the rest of it so fans can enjoy it even more I have no doubt about that. From a racers point of view you cant wish for a better track then last week. The feature was rubbered up with two good racing grooves. It was only dry slick in the heat races. I put on a new RR tire and its still a new RR tire 25 laps later. Other than the fans taking on some dust I cant see where anyone can complaint.

Never been to CB, but plan to try at least once this year. SOS has done a great job with their track surface. Yes it was dusty for the SSSO but all they needed to do was move the tires up to keep the grove out of the dirt and on the mud. If the track goes dry its never really dry nor is there lots of dust.

Was at STS over Memorial weekend and their track was dry with no dust.

My issue with dry is the wear on tires. If a track can find a happy medium they got it made.

One question..whats the difference in a dry slick vs a asphalt track? Beside dirt and pavement!!!

Lol there is no comparison between a dry slick track and asphalt. The closest a dry slick even begins to be like driving on asphalt is when it takes a lil rubber..

What's everybody's gripe on tires? We're still running on tires from last year, I don't get it? I guess it's cause we come from asphalt and are used to going through a set every 2-3 weeks.

I was in the stands last weekend and it was a little rough on unprepared people but the racing was good and that's definitely a nice trade off. Another plus with this track is that you aren't hit in the face with direct sunlight like some other tracks I attend and you seem a little closer to the track. thanks again and I will be back.

Wasn't one of the two sprint cars the promoter?...so only one sprint car shows up and they want the track to get prepped for the sprint cars preference?

The racing and car count has been better since the track has been going dry...I know I had fun on the dry track last week and will be back this week.

STS is typically a dry-slick track and very rarely does it get dusty. However, we are lucky that the majority of the time the wind is blowing away from the stands. I don't know if it's the compound of the dirt or in how it's prepped but it's never been a problem and there are always two-three lines there for all classes. I don't think they changed anything in their prepping for ASCS when they were here but then again Saturday night the track received a lot of rain.

If you are wearing out your tires you are either skidding the car on entry, skating it through the middle or blowing them off coming off...all of which is slow on dry slick. As my overgrown buddy big mike says, go slow to go fast onthe dry..

Its all a matter of where the stands are. STS gets dusty, but the wind blows away from the stands, so its not very noticeable, same with TRP. When the track takes rubber prior to the features, what little dust is there is not as noticeable.

Dust is very noticeable at SOS because it blows right at the stands. That is a very large part of why that track has always been kept tacky. tacky in the feature makes for greasy in the heats.

I haven't been to CBS yet, so I can't comment on the dust situation there, but 9 times out of 10 you will see more side by side racing throughout the night on a dry track. A tacky track has a tendency to separate the fast line, and make it tough to pass. Plus the previously mentioned hard on parts piece.

Just my $.02.

By looking at the pics from last weekend, yes the heats looked dusty as hell. As for the features, the tracked looked totally different and I didn't see dust flying in the pics. That, is a well prepped track. The track cant control which way or how hard the wind is blowing. Not supposed to be any wind Saturday night. As far as tire bill, that's just part of dirt track racing and I understand that the dry slick can be tough on tires. With a little grinding and siping, they can last longer than you think. I won the feature a few weeks ago with tires I bought and used for Abilene back in February. I would rather replace tires than motors/driveshafts/gears/J-bars etc.... Keep it dry.

As a photographer I will take that as a compliment. :lol:

Cameras hate dust, fans hate dust and my daughters don't handle it too well either. It takes some work to try and "mask" all of the dust particles in pictures. Not to mention there were quite a bit of cautions to let the dust settle in between green flag runs.

My point is there needs to be a happy medium for drivers and fans and last weekend was all for the drivers.

@Joe- Name me one person that went to the races to watch a car driver slow at anytime on the track? I can't stand watching and listening to mods barely on the throttle in the corners; that's more annoying than a dentist sneezing in your mouth! LOL

We all know the track is new and is doing everything they can to accommodate drivers and fans alike. There is no reason for anyone to suggest that a dusty track, like last weekend, is an acceptable night at the races. So the stands may not be in the most ideal position because of the wind. You can't change that so what IS going to change? You guys all race. You all knew it was going to cost a butt load of money. Hell, you could be hauling your ride to the scrap yard in the blink of an eye and it doesn't matter if it is a dry or heavy track. You're entertainers; get out there and put on the best damn show no matter the conditions. Keep pissing the fans off and they will stay home in their A/C watching their big screens while you all try and find a new past time!

As a photographer I will take that as a compliment. :lol:

Cameras hate dust, fans hate dust and my daughters don't handle it too well either. It takes some work to try and "mask" all of the dust particles in pictures. Not to mention there were quite a bit of cautions to let the dust settle in between green flag runs.

My point is there needs to be a happy medium for drivers and fans and last weekend was all for the drivers.

@Joe- Name me one person that went to the races to watch a car driver slow at anytime on the track? I can't stand watching and listening to mods barely on the throttle in the corners; that's more annoying than a dentist sneezing in your mouth! LOL

We all know the track is new and is doing everything they can to accommodate drivers and fans alike. There is no reason for anyone to suggest that a dusty track, like last weekend, is an acceptable night at the races. So the stands may not be in the most ideal position because of the wind. You can't change that so what IS going to change? You guys all race. You all knew it was going to cost a butt load of money. Hell, you could be hauling your ride to the scrap yard in the blink of an eye and it doesn't matter if it is a dry or heavy track. You're entertainers; get out there and put on the best damn show no matter the conditions. Keep pissing the fans off and they will stay home in their A/C watching their big screens while you all try and find a new past time!

Jamie, either go dirt racing or go home. It's your choice. I spent the weekend there, 2 nights, in a motor home under the oaks. And it was a great night of racing on Saturday night.

Greg

The dust is a problem at this track, I live right down the road from the track and know a lot of people that enjoy going and watching the races. But they all say with as much dust that blows into the stands that they are not going to keep coming back, being dusted out. And we all know a track with no fans is not going to last long, you have to keep your fans happy and coming back week to week or you will not have a place to race. I agree that the track does not need to go back to a mud track again, but it did go from one extreme of being wet, to extremely dry. It needs to have a little more moister in it then what it has.

Archived