sas update

thrss1

jracer98,

Never said he had to, I am just giving him the chance to do it.

If he thinks he can do better, come on and do it. I will hand the microphone over and if he is good, learn from him. How else am I going to get better, other than through practice and better object lessons?

I never said I am the best, that would be Big Joe Lombardi at Texas Thunder Speedway. And I sit next to him on most Saturdays and soak up as much of his experience that I can. I sponge off all the good ones. I was sitting in the stands for the ROMCO race and learning from Russ Martin. He is darn good.

Really, I don't see your point. I offer him his money back and the chance to show me how it is done. How can anyone be pissed about that? :wacko:

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel.

Edited because I spelled Big Joe's name wrong. Sorry partner.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the exception of seeing the #11 car wrecking and catching fire, I thought the races were great.The car count could have been better, but congrats to those that could show up. That is a fast tuff track and it is exciting to watch em all go at it. The Romco guys were great, the 8 is always gonna be there,the 96 was going for it and the 51 took it all.The trucks were great too, Todd gave us our moneys worth a few times to win that one. Then my personal favorite class, TSRS had a few wrecks, what class doesn't,but the cream always rises to the top. Ronny New and crew did a great job winning from 9th place.To the guy complaining about mostly everything ,the TSRS cars need their own identity from the Romco cars. The 8" tires and mufflers are a couple of things we have for that.The drivers at the front know how to keep from spinning their tires. I will also gladly give that guy 20 bucks to keep from reading negative comments about local racing. Steve

You keep injecting "you" too early in the equation. It's not about you. It's about a customer that did not feel he received enough value for his time/money. You are just unilaterially declaring him "wrong". In every way that counts, he's the judge, not you.

Here it is--->LESS CUSTOMERS=LESS INCOME=LESS EMPLOYEES.

You need customers more than they need you.

As an exercise, can you design a strategy to change/improve this customer's opinion without using any form of intimidation?

Jay

The guy on My Three Sons is of no relation. I was “blessed” with this name before he was born.

I am a fan…

I am entitled to an opinion…

I am NOT the only fan (Paid Cash) that feels this way about not only this show but a great many other shows that have been ran over the past 30 years.

I know that most racers work hard and try their best but most of you act as though I should be damn thankful that you showed up to entertain me and my wife.

The truth is that YOU should be thankful that my wife and I showed up to see you race.

Your sponsors should be given a copy of each of your responses on this thread and others that you posted when someone stated an opinion that differed from yours and then ask your current or proposed sponsor if they would want to sponsor your car and your attitude about the fans opinions (their customer that they advertise to).

The bottom line… I could sit at home and watch racers with a professional attitude on TV or go to the movies but what happens when you upset the fans and they no longer pay for a ticket to see a race? If you think that it hard to get sponsors and fans (paying cash for a ticket) at the tracks now, see what happens when there are fewer fans for the sponsors to advertise to, the concessions to sell food and drink to, and fewer fans to show your driving skills to. I guess running broke and for free and then to win a trophy in front of just a few remaining fans would be kinda like kissin’ your sister.

Barry

and now days you cant please some people no matter what-sometimes it better to tell someone to go somewhere else and do business-what it cost to please some people nowdays-you'll save $$ in the long run - been there and done that-saves me from having headaches-and i've been in the service industry 40yrs-

The tracks, the series and the local racers need the fans. I would say that the majority of the fans at SAS sat. night felt they got their $ worth. There will always be the disgruntled few who feel like Barry. When Octoberfast rolls around I am sure the place will be packed again. I am also sure there will be someone complainig about something.

It's about a customer that did not feel he received enough value for his time/money

I am offering his money back. I can't give him his time back, no one can.

You are just unilaterially declaring him "wrong"

Here is his quote,

The announcer should pack up his microphone and stay home! You could not understand him at all. He couldn’t even figure out which corner the cars where in half of the time. This series needs to be seriously looked at and changes made quickly before it dies from over hyped lackluster performance.

Sounds like he is unilaterially declaring me "wrong". I am offering him a chance to show me the errors of my ways. Intimitading, you bet your boots bucko. Stand up there with a hot microphone and 4 thousand fans and he will see how intimidated I was. Plus Milton Hope and Russ Martin were sitting there, talk about being intimidated!

I am giving the guy a chance to walk a mile in my shoes. Step up to the plate and take a big honk'n swing at it. Intimidating, hell yes. Honest offer, hell yes.

If'n anyone thinks they can do better, come on up (not you Licata, ;) sit back down :P ) and I will give you a wack at it.

If he offered a shred of constructive criticism I would listen. You can't reason or win over someone that says "The announcer should pack up his microphone and stay home". All I can do is give him a chance to show him how it is done.

How much time and money do you waste on malcontents? Some times you just have to cut your losses and move on. If we can't satisfy him, perhaps the track/series down the road can do it.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel

JRACER98,

I think the problem is that the guy was more interested in bashing folks than he was stating what he thought were weaknesses in the program. I think that most businesses would consider throwing a customer out on their ear if they came in calling all of the employees names and insulting them and then said that the problem was "I wanted fries with that". In other words he fired a cannonade and all he wanted to do was kill the mosquito.

As an HVAC Company owner.

I have had a few customers that have picked and picked at every and anything I did for them. Some even thought they paid too much money for my services etc. It was tough sometimes pleasing these customers. I am a firm believer in the old saying "the customer always comes first". I must say that I was unable to please everyone, but I gave it 100%.

Can you imagine where my business would be if I had told them to take a hike, go fly a kite etc. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising, it is also the quickest way to the poor house. A happy customer may tell 10 people of the great service they recieved, but an unhappy customer will tell 100 all about the bad experience.

Yes it is true that you cannot please everyone, but you better try!

I think some people just don't get it......you have to look at the big picture.

TomH

why beat a dead horse... I wish ya'll well

Guest The_Greek
Greek, The reason TSRS cars run mufflers is that some of the tracks they run at have a decibal rule ! You just can't pass up a chance to bash TSRS...can you ? I doubt if anyone would miss you not coming to anymore races period ! I have read all the posts regarding the race at SAS and almost all of it is positive. Maybe you and Barry could take each other out to the movies or something next time there is a big race in town.

yo Fast 18,

first of all i dont look for any opprotunity to bash TSRS, i did one time, and that was the first race here at CC when they were supposed to run 65 laps with yellows counting up to like 50 or something, well as it turned it out there were alot of wrecks and the yellow laps mounted up, to where it was like only 25 laps of green flag racing. since then TSRS has changed the rule to 75 all green flag racing, i dont think it was cause of me, but a change was needed and was made, i even post a thread or two supporting Mary Ann and TSRS's decision for making that change. as for the muffler rule im well aware that THR has a muffler rule, but that doesnt mean i have to like muffled race cars at SAS and CC. and lastly about the TSRS race in SAS last weekend, i was disappointed they cut the race at the end, that was my argument. and i know why they did also. i hope that clarifies some things for you.

Just a few questions... If Im not mistaken the average car count for ROMCO races at SAS has been 18-22 even in the past... In TSRS it has been higher but normally average 18-24... I havnt been to as many ARTS races but they usually average 12-16... How many cars avg. wise were you thinking you were going to see that (if you had been to a previous race) were not there... The only other big names that were not there that could have been would have been C. Davidson and Robert Richardson but they moved up to run the Southeast Series... Just another TIDBIT that some may not have thought about but... Does anyone think that the TSRS race would have been better if they had raced on a cooler track... I.E. at night vs. day...How much of a differance would it have made for them on those 8" tires if they ran on a 'cooler' track? Just curious...

Ok I just have to add another 2 cents worth. I was dissappointed with the show Saturday night as well. As I mentioned earlier it wasn't necessarily the driver's or the officials fault, but how much side by side racing actually occured? Maybe it is just the high expectations I have for ROMCO at San Antonio. Living in Buda I usually just make it to THR which is a bit better than Longhorn/Austin Speed-O-Rama was (especially since they added width to the back stretch) so I really look forward to a trip to SA to see some side by side battling. Ronnie did a great job in TSRS and the front runners in ROMCO didn't do anything wrong, they just weren't passing much.

One other thing. Were the speakers they used put there by Romco just for this weekend? If so, I like the attempt to improve on the standard situation, but I was sitting half way between the speakers and turn one, and I could hardly make anything out that was said. I'm there to see the racing, but some more attention to details like announcer sound quality would sure improve the experience.

No bashing, just constructive criticism.

Guest The_Greek

the only way you are going to see more passing is if they invert more cars in there lineups, and it doesnt matter where they race, they stack fast cars up front, slower cars in the rear. you get a stretched out field.

I didn't hear anything happened between the 20(22) team and the 8. I did know something happened between the 19 car of Batzel and the 3 of Heil. Early in the race the 3 and 19 got together causing the 7 to slam the wall and the 3 car had damage. Well the 3 car headed to the pits and pretty much parked the car until he decided it was time to take out the 19 which never did anything wrong in the beginning. Heil gets back in his car with maybe 20 to go and finds the 19 and turns him, thank goodness it was a minor spin. romco shoulda black flagged the 3 car. After the race i saw Heil go toward the 3 (coulda been vice versa) but i saw heil in a headlock and then people broke it up pretty darn quick. to me that was the only real problem i saw with the racing at sas. i cant wait til octoberfast..sure wish it was all one weekend though but i guess if that were to happen we would be out all night and early in the morning.

After 8 had the trouble with just a couple laps left and dropped to 2nd... he and the 22 had a good battle. Contact? I don't know... but it was close.

Then after the race I saw the whole thing... it happened right infront of me. The driver of the 22 quickly got out of his car... walked up to the 8, helped him lower his window net, leaned over close to the window of the car, said something and then it happened... THEY SHOOK HANDS!

I thought it was a good race... yeah we've all seen better, but they can't all be better than the last.

I must weigh in on this post. I was not at the race this past weekend but have talked to many that were. One of which has never been to the races down in San Antonio or for that matter anywehere. All had nothing but good things to say and plan on being at Kyle for the Stock Car spectacular.

It's amazing! This has almost gotten as much attention as a CC topic. Almost as much drama and whining too. You can NEVER satisfy everyone who comes to the races. Nobody will always like the announcer. (I don't know you, so don't take it personally!) There is no way please everybody. It will never happen. People will always find something to complain about. Just let them whine. They will get over it and they will be back. They just can't stay away. There's something about racing that stays with you. It's like a disease. :D

jracer98,

Ok, after sleeping on it, here is goes.

Barry,

I am sorry you didn't like the show that the TSRS put on. In light of that, I have some questions to ask you, so that we may improve the show next time

1. What exactly did you find so amusing about the radio traffic between TSRS officials?

1a. What should we have done, as officials to make it a better officiated race?

2. How should we, in the future, address the laps/time limit issue?

2a. Were you aware of the lap/time limit?

3. When you say you couldn't understand the announcer (me) why was that? Is it my accent? Lack of accent? Did I mumble? Is it my volcabulary? Other?

3a. Do you believe that the sound equipment contributed to the problem?

3b. Could your intense listening to the scanner have contributed to this problem?

3c. How do I reconcile the fact that you are the only one making this complaint? No one else told me that, not our officials, my boss, ROMCO officials, the other announcers, or other people in the crowd.

3d. Could the problem be one of style or personality?

3e. What course of action do you suggest I undertake to prevent this from happing in the future?

4. Where do I send your $20?

5. When can I expect you to show me, one on one, in a live race environment, the errors of my ways?

Ours truely,

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel

Like a lot of people I thought it was a good night of racing. Would have liked seeing more trucks and TSRS laps though. I brought 5 people with me and 2 of them have never been to a race before. They told me that they thought it was awesome and would definitely be back.

Sarge, have never heard you before but I think you are very entertaining. You cracked me up with the Schild brothers intro. Thanks

Archived