sas update

thrss1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very unofficial, second hand information.

ROMCO: 18 or 19 cars. Michael Crofford wins. Brandon 2nd. Tommy Grimes 3rd. Apparently there was a big wreck on the first lap involving Grothues, Bradley and John Kelly. Grothues' car destoryed in the resulting fire. Bradley and Kelly able to rejoin the race at some point after repairs.

ARTS: Only 10 cars. Not sure who won.

TSRS: 18 cars. Crash fest. Racegot cut about 20 laps due to time. Not sure who won.

Good crowd on hand and the races got finished about 10:30.

Nick Holt

Guest The_Greek

just got back from SAS, the TSRS race was pathetic, a crashfest is putting it mildly, they cut the race supposedly cause of a 50 minute time rule, and this all before 8pm, the ARTS trucks put on a great race with the lead changing several times, as for Romco its a shame that Greg Davidson had a fire breakout under the hood while leading, he was really flying tonight, coming up from 4th to take the lead from Bendele, by my unofficial count, Bendele got 2 in what looked to be a dead heat with Grimes, and Bradley getting either 9th or 10. also hard luck goes out to #11 Tom Grotheus, #7 Tuffy Hudson, and #50 Joe Armandia, they hit the wall pretty hard all seperate incidents and they have some serious damages to those cars. lastly i wanna say i havent seen a crowd like that at SAS in a long, long time, the stands were maxed. makes u wonder when SAS leases out the track what can happen.

Here are some unofficial results:

TSRS

1. #1 Ronnie New

2. #50 Mike Yale

3. #17 Jeff Pollard

5. #04 Brad Hudak

NOTE: Pole-sitter Lloyd Alexander took the early lead before being overtaken by Mike Yale. Ronnie New, who set fast time in qualifying put his #1 racecar in the #1 spot on Lap 28.

ARTS

1. #77 Todd McLemore*

2. #30 Bryan Meredith

3. #8 Jeff Rosenbeck

4. #21 Keith Patrick

5. #29 Larry Latham

NOTE: McLemore made a pit stop under caution and came from the back to win.

ROMCO

1. #51 Michael Crofford

2. #8 Brandon Bendele*

3. #22 Tommy Grimes*

4. #13 T. Wade Welch

5. #19 Kent Baltzell

NOTE: Bendele and Grimes were pretty close at the start/finish line - Scoreboard showed Bendele as 2nd and Grimes as 3rd.

Brandon beat out grimes by a foot. On lap 123 turn 4 brandon's car popped out of gear. Rev limiter cut the engine off. Bradley cruised around the track all night waiting for other people to fall out. He pitted during parade laps, crashed with Tommy Grothues on lap 1, was never competitive. Just ended up points racing.

Bunch of bendele fans around me, really cheered when davidson caught fire. I'm like why? I'm pulling for brandon too, but I want to see him beat davidson, not just win against him.

TSRS Crash fest, well I didn't think so. A few wrecks yeah. But the race was going to be 65 laps or 50 minutes. They didn't change anything. A few of the wrecks were crap like Jamie Fuller driving hard and coming out of turn 4 his ignition wire burned up and the engine quit. Car behind him ran into him. All in All a great night of racing. The races were over at 10:30. If they were over all the time at that time we would get a better turnout. A lot of people come, but don't come back because of the late finish.

Rookie49, maybe the Bendele fans around you were cheering because Brandon got the lead back, not because Davidson had problems, in your analogy Crofford fans should not have cheered when Crofford got the lead after Bendele had problems,

Congratulations to Crofford on his win!

Oh, by the way Davidson's car looked sharp with the new body

I hate to be a complainer, but that was the worst night of racing I've experienced in a long time. I love going to San Antonio to watch the big dogs race, but there was very little racing last night. It's not necessarily the racers or the officials fault, it just happened the way it did, but I sure feel like I wasted $20 and a Saturday night.

Ronnie's pass for the TSRS lead and Davidson's pass for the ROMCO lead were the only real action of the night. Of course, Greg and Brandon may have put on a good show if Greg hadn't booted Brandon (I'm no Brandon fan by the way), but oh well. I'll be back for Oktober Fast.

By the way, did anyone see what started the lap 1 ROMCO wreck. Someone near us said Colt got out of shape and that started it all. When I looked John Kelly was in the fence already.

Guest RobCarter88

We paid the extra $5 to watch the race from the pits and we were surprised by the way these guys help each other out. We walked up to pit road during the TSRS race. The ROMCO crews for the 49, 51, 50 & 8 were like one big crew for the whole TSRS field. They must have helped 8 or 10 cars out during the wreckfest. They were like one big happy family working on cars. That was interesting because I had no idea how much the teams help each other out. You cant see much of the race from pit road but you can see some action and get the true picture of how the crews help everyone out.

I was standing at the front straight fence at turn 4 for the start...Someone got into the back of Colt coming off of four to take the green...he caught it and didn't touch anyone...but cars took the opportunity and went by on both sides...they gave Colt plenty of room, but someone gave too much room and hit the outside frontstretch wall under the flag stand and set it all off...couldn't see exactly, maybe they had some help...the 11 hit the inside wall hard and car caught fire...scary scene after seeing JR a couple a weeks ago...the safety team was there fast and he was OK...

I thought it was a great night of racing...the stands were totally packed...the SAS fans were great...the show ran smooth...It was a very professional event...I wish they were all like that...

We would have had more trucks if we would have had access to our trailers...two went home and didn't make the show that were fixable with parts we didn't have access to...very disappointing for those guys and the rest of us...Jon T missed due to recovering from his burn/injury and Jimmy Spillar missed due to health issues in his family...both of those guys would have been up front...several other regulars were MIA for unknown reasons...

we were surprised by the way these guys help each other out.
The Guys in ARTS are the same way. I would not have made the race without parts from Robert Walton. Thanks to RW Racing and Jim Beasley in the 69 for his offer to help.

as for Romco its a shame that Greg Davidson had a fire breakout under the hood while leading,  he was really flying tonight,

I dont remember #96 ever having the lead ? What lap did he pass #8 on? I thought he got black flagged when he was running 2nd - and never passed #8?

Luck comes and goes for everyone - that's racing. Everyone looked good - sorry about #49 tough break, does anyone know how that happened?

#8 was fast but I think #51 was gaining on the straights but lost him in the turns.

A few things- 1st, the Bendele fans around me were cheering for davidson to break. He went by a blew a puff of white smoke and they went nuts. They were cheering for him to break down for the three or four laps he was smoking. 2d, While I didn't like the way the pass was made on Bendele, at that point of the race Davidson was clearly faster. The fact that he could push Bendele in the corner coming out everytime for several laps was proof of that. I also think that Brandon was going to let Davidson run the wheels off if he wanted too. He was going to be there in the end. I think Bendele would have ended up winning over davidson regardless. As far as who was faster where, On restarts it looked to me like it took a few laps for Brandon to get hooked up good. While that was going on, 51 was giving him all he could handle. But once the car came to him, bendele would run away from him. Incidentally, it was right after a restart that davidson was able to pass bendele.

At any racing event I've been to, fans always cheer when one car is passing another. If it's for 1st or 5th, we like the passing. When some one cheers because anther car ahead starts having problems, now that's a big difference. Greg was never passed, but black flagged and I and every true racing fan would had like for him to be there at the end for some racing, to see what Brandon might have had for him. I have several favorite driver's and go for them all and like to see a good show, but when fans cheer for a car having problems or even maybe an accident, becaues they dislike them or just so someone advances their position, I stay wondering.

I don't know where you were sitting, but That wasn't cheering, that was yelling about everyone thinking he passed him dirty because of the way he bumped him, then dove underneath. I wasn't saying that it was a bad pass. I'm not saying that davidson did anything wrong. What I'm saying about not liking the pass was that I though he wa strong enough to have gotten him without the bump move.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

Just like to Thank ROMCO Equipment Company - Robert Mullins, for hosting this great night of racing, what an outstanding crowd, along with Robert, great job Terry & Linda Barden & your staff, you all were a pleasure to work with! Clean-up and Safety was outstanding. TSRS would also like to thank all the San Antonio Officials and Staff for their part as well, the opening ceremony was wonderful, great showing of honor to our God, Country & the Servicemen and women serving our Country. A special thank you to Steve Jung and Paul Lozano with your help in the tower.

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Naumann

Archived