sas update

thrss1

No chip here. I was pulling for Bendele. I even had a good night at the races. I was just disappointed to see people cheering somebody's misfortune. There's no confusion what they're cheering for when they're yelling," smoke, smoke, white smoke, he's done, etc." I guess thats the problem. I'm a race fan first, not a particular driver. Whether I like a driver or not I don't cheer when his opponent breaks or crashes. I could debate the sportsmanship of the modern American sports fan for hours. I'll just leave it at that.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to be a complainer, but that was the worst night of racing I've experienced in a long time. I love going to San Antonio to watch the big dogs race, but there was very little racing last night.

Davidson's pass for the ROMCO lead were the only real action of the night. Of course, Greg and Brandon may have put on a good show if Greg hadn't booted Brandon (I'm no Brandon fan by the way), but oh well. I'll be back for Oktober Fast.

You must have been at the top of the stands & turning around to watch the drag strip.

It was a good race - and it's a blessing that no one was hurt with all the ACTION that went on that you must have missed. I think that race fans could see the the drivers working their a**es off.

Good racing on everyones part - great show. And I was by some crawford (#51)fans and they seemed to pulling for him as well as hutson #7 and davidson (#96) and bendele (#8).

As a new comer, (not yet have a favorite) the last 3 races I saw the car that has most impressed me was that crawford (#51). I guess I did not notice him at corpurs - I cant seem to remember what he did. But I do remember after huston logging on here to get some more insight on the series and drivers and not reading much about 51 in anything. In huston it appeard to me that he could have easily taken out bradly (#49) but did not. I was impressed.

And at San Antonio - I saw (#96) driving hard, (#8) hooked up and (#51) was driving hard. (#51) took the lead with 3 to go - yet (#8) still came out with 2nd. After 51 got passed 8 - he was gone too. 51 had the power on the stretch. When 51 did get by it was like watching the same thing over again except 8 was behind 51.

And like I said before - after seeing how 51 fans were concerned about the wrecks/drivers as well as pulling for others and watching him drive the way he did, and reading up history articles that seem to have alot of heat - but none about 51.

I think I like the man/kid 51 and wish him the best. It souned like there were alot of happy people in the stands when he won?

Good job 51 - and how old is he??

I was on the front straight with the top 3 cars after the TSRS race and the San Antonio bleachers were packed and cheering really loud. After the truck race I was able to go up in the bleachers and watch the Romco race...I couldn't tell if people were cheering when Davidson's car started smoking. It was just loud. I hate seeing mechanical problems interfere with some great racing action. I wouldn't go so far as calling the TSRS race a wreckfest but all 3 classes had their share of wrecks. I know there were fans upset about the TSRS race being shortened but that was ROMCO's call and it was their show. I would like to congratulate Ronnie New for his win and setting a new track record. Also congratulations to Mike Yale and Jeff Pollard for placing 2nd and 3rd. I also would like to give special thanks to ROMCO and San Antonio Speedway.

South end of pressbox, just above the houston contingent. I saw several people that seemed to be Crofford and New fans down in front of me.

These seem to be crofford fans and new fans were the ones cheering smoke, smoke etc towards greg's misfortune?

No. Not New or crofford fans. Look I'm not going to let this turn into a bash session on bendele or his fans. I wasn't mad about it, Its not an indictment of bendele fans, I'm not talking about all of them, I'm referring to a group of about 20 that were in the vicinity of where I was sitting. I was just making a comment about it. I'm done on that subject.

Since some on here seem to consider only the TSRS as a wreckfest it might be interesting to note that they had the highest percentage of cars that started the race also finish it. It was pretty interesting how much of a lack of respect the series gets by so many in the local racing community.

Guest The_Greek
Since some on here seem to consider only the TSRS as a wreckfest it might be interesting to note that they had the highest percentage of cars that started the race also finish it. It was pretty interesting how much of a lack of respect the series gets by so many in the local racing community.

SAS24, if it wasnt a wreckfest according to you, then how come they had to cut their race short? they had 32 laps left, when a caution came out, then the race was cut to 10 to go. im not trying to dog the series, but it was for a better term a spinfest! again all this before 8pm which is what i didnt agree with. let'em race!!

All I have to say is that I know its Brandons home track, but I was dissapointed when

everybody cheered when Greg Davidson got black flagged, he was by far the fastest

car, and always is Greg would have won it NO DOUBT!!!

Greg was fast. He got by Eddy (55) and Michael (51) cleanly. Why did Greg have to drive thru Brandon to pass him? Why does Greg always have to get into Brandon?

The Greek,

It was in the schedule that was posted long before the race that the TSRS and the Trucks had a time limit. It wasn't just all the wrecks that were holding up the race it was also the extent of the wreck as of the cleaning etc. If the ROMCO would have had a timed race they would have had to cut the race by so many laps to, because I remember there being many RED flags out there to clean up after a wreck. It is not just TSRS that has wrecks yes they had to shorten the laps but thats by choice of ROMCO they wanted to be on the track by 9pm and they were. 90% of the drivers are from out town and they don't want to make it home by 5am so they try to make it an early night, this is just my opinion but some are facts this was the schedule I do believe it said TSRS had so many laps or 55 mins to race, same with trucks. No matter what track or series you go to you are always going to see wrecks I know at least 30% of the fans are there to see the wrecks. As for the whole Michael, Davidson and Brandon Fan thing, everyone does that its not more of because the driver broke its more your driver is in the lead they get happy I have seen it many times at THR but people don't get on here and complain about it... Like I said JMO

:D

SAS, TSRS, ROMCO, & ARTS - GREAT JOB! I believe we received our monies worth! WHat a show! Happy crowd and some of the nicest officials and workers are from these series and SAS. The stands were PACKED! We didn't hear one complaint from our section - all Kudos!

All the races were awesome. You could see these competitors are all from series that compete hard and are friends at the same time. Saw alot of different uniforms in different pits helping their competitors...then getting out there and racing against that same car/truck!

There were some engine failures....some "racing incidents" and most of all ...just all around great racing!

oh - notice there was a lot of standing in the crowds? that, my friends, is a sign of some awesome racing!

GW :P

Keep it up! - see ya'll the next time - and great racing to every driver that took the time to compete in one of the best shows I've seen! Keep the jealousy out of all this and give these guys a hand!

Wow what a crowd. Just goes to show, people do know that there is a track in SA. Heard alot of people say they only come out when ROMCO runs. If the level of competition was any indicator, they would really like the local shows better. The ROMCO races at SA show be billed the challenge of the haves and the have nots. Sure can see who puts the money into the hp with this series and SA is a horsepower track. From what we have seen at the other tracks they can't use it all and some of the less funded guys do well there. Maybe thats why the car count was down, they knew they could not keep up. If they had more cars they would probably just wreck more of them. As for TSRS they should call them the RRRRRRRR series because all you here going threw the corners and coming off the corners are their tires bawling because their carrying so much speed with those 8'" tires. 90% of the field was spinning tires off the corner, never understood why you need 450hp with 8" tires. Most of the wrecks seemed to be from these guys overdriving the tires and putting themselves where don't need to be. With the exception of the top 4, Ronnie New ran a good patient race and used the fast car he had to win. The 50,17 and 04 also showed alot of patience.

HOLY SMOKES!

Man was that a blast!

A great big hearty THANK YOU to all the ROMCO people for inviting the TSRS to this race. It was awesome.

I had the thrill of my life Saturday night. That was by far the largest crowd I have ever announced to. What a terrifying/exhilarating/awesome experience that was!

Again, thank you to all the people involved in making this race happen, ROMCO officials, SAS officials, the ARTS guys, and Mary Ann and the rest of the TSRS crew.

Absolutely fantastic! Ya couldn't peel the grin off my face with one of ROMCO's fork lifts!

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel.

I think that everyone needs to be thankful that everyone of those drivers made it out okay and everyone was safe. Who cares who was cheering for who. I thought it was a great nite of racin and hope that its just as good as it is next time.

Great show ROMCO, TSRS and ARTS!! Can't wait to see yall run again!

turn4--

As for Greg drivin everyone "clean" except for Brandon...well thats your opinion. It all goes back to whos cheerin for who and like I said before...who cares??!!

Turn4, Greg got in to me a little when he got under me, but it was just close racing. I had good run off of four and was turning inside the 51 soo I was already pinching the car down and greg gave me a little bump. It was just racing. At the the time it pissed me of a little, because I would have probably made the pass on the 51,but it didn't matter anyway because we had a flat. It was not that big of a deal with me or the 8.

Archived