sas update

thrss1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just MY opinion

Saturday night’s race at San Antonio Speedway was a RIP-OFF for the fans that paid $20.00 a piece to see a show that was poorly ran with an exceptionally low car count. I have been going to the local tracks since the mid 70’s and never have been so upset!

Lets start with the TSRS race… The program stated 65 laps of racing and a list of over 40 registered drivers. I saw 43 laps of poor quality racing with only 17 cars that was nothing but an exhibit of how not to setup an over horsepowered car with too small of tires, inexperienced/over aggressive driving, and mediocre officiating. I have seen many of these same cars and drivers racing at SAS with the LM class using 10” tires. The cars handle better and go about 7-8 tenths faster. I always go to a track with a scanner so that I can hear what’s going on. The radio traffic from TSRS officials should be played over the PA system so that the fans can hear it. Most of the time the radio traffic is more comical and entertaining than most of the racing. The announcer should pack up his microphone and stay home! You could not understand him at all. He couldn’t even figure out which corner the cars where in half of the time. This series needs to be seriously looked at and changes made quickly before it dies from over hyped lackluster performance.

The Allstar race trucks put on the best show of the evening. Too bad that they had such a small field. Those few of drivers did put on a good show. Maybe they could raise their purse so that more would compete.

The ROMCO race was a real disappointment also. Only 19 cars! You would have thought that after not being at SAS for almost 10 months that they would show up in bigger numbers. Those that did show up presented a show that was boring. The officiating wasn’t much better either. A car was on fire (#11) less than 100 feet from the safety crew and the driver was left unprotected for almost 30 seconds while they had to get the trucks rolling. Why did not a couple of those firemen not grab an extinguisher and run towards the car to help the driver (10 second sprint)? The impound of the cars after qualifying was stupid. I enjoy watching the crews working on the cars. I believe that part of the reason the show was boring was that after qualifying the crews where not able to put a race setup into the cars. I was also disappointed at the speeds of these cars. They are the most expensive and “fastest” stock cars racing in Texas and go only 5-6 tenths faster than the SAS LM cars.

The lines at the concessions were long and the food was cold and expensive. I could have driven to a C-store and back for time it took to get 2 beers.

I talked the track manager and he told me that there was nothing that he could do about anything. SAS had been rented to ROMCO and that they had control of the show. As much as I may disagree with some of Carlson, Sepich and Lozano’s policies and procedures, it is obvious that Robert Mullins, Terry Barden, and Mary Ann Newman are out of their league when it comes to running a quality smooth show.

Bottom line… 240 laps scheduled and 168 crappy laps ran with 50 laps of decent racing, mediocre officiating, mediocre announcing, pricey long waits at the concessions, and lack of cars, rates this show as a RIP-OFF. I want my money back!

Barry Livingston

Guest The_Greek

holy cow Barry, while u make some good points, i just got one question (lol) when the TSRS race was going on, isnt that the sickest sounding cars you ever heard with those damn mufflers? i know ive beaten that horse before, but man it just doesnt feel like racing to me.

As I was reading this...I couldn't quite figure out who Bandit was.

Bandit...who are you. At first I thought you were Bendele, but now Im not so sure... :blink:

Good racing at SAS!!!

R-E-O

Bandit is #55 Eddy Wallace. He set fast time at qualifying.

Greek, The reason TSRS cars run mufflers is that some of the tracks they run at have a decibal rule ! You just can't pass up a chance to bash TSRS...can you ? I doubt if anyone would miss you not coming to anymore races period ! I have read all the posts regarding the race at SAS and almost all of it is positive. Maybe you and Barry could take each other out to the movies or something next time there is a big race in town.

yea tsrs has some cautions, and some mufflers, but so did romco. heck romco had 2 red flags. i thought it was a good race, watching new come from 9th to win, guess yall didnt see that. i think that tsrs should get credit for bringing cars. i know myself and the #5 and #80 crew, and TEXMEX stayed up till about 3am friday nite putting a motor in the 5 car so yall, the "fans" could have something to complain about. im done with this one, just had to throw in my 2 cents.

big john

Barry

PM me with your address and I will send you your $20 dollars back myself.

I am serious. Send me your info and the check is in the mail.

I have worked with a bunch of different officials. Mary Ann and the rest of the crew of the TSRS are absolutely the best of the bunch. I am damn proud to be a part of the TSRS crew.

Just a question. Have you ever tried to officiate a race or a series? Have you ever tried to announce a race? Next time your at the track, look me up and I will give you the chance to do it. I am at I-37 Speedway in Pleasanton on Fridays, Texas Thunder Speedway in Killeen on most Saturday nights, and when the TSRS is racing, where ever they are. Just show up and ask for Sarge, and the microphone is all yours.

Balls in your court, Barry

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel.

Man don't ya'll feel bad for bashing me :D I had a good time, just my one minor complaint as stated earlier. As to car counts, every track that advertises certain drivers has a disclaimer that they are scheduled to appear, not guaranteed. While I would agree with Barry on all of his points about wanting better this and that, I didn't feel ripped off. And I paid 25 not 20. All the drivers I was pulling for either broke, got crashed or had their car quit in front of the finish line ;) (Brandon, Jamie), and I still enjoyed the night. JMO

hey barry-seems you need a friend-go get a dog-i dont think anything in this world today would satisfy you-you pissed off at the world for something that happened to you when you were growing up?how much did you spend saturday nite?-maybe i'll send you a refund and some extra cash so you can go snipe hunting during the racing season and stay the hell away from the races -seeing it was your first post i hope it's your last-sure it probably won't be-and for your comments on the romco/tsrs/arts races in sa[edited out by Nick Holt, 8/16/04] have a nice day- ps:why dont you get you a car and show us how its done-by the way-sorry nick and jason for the comment but bleacher creature Barry deserves it

Why should this fellow be blistered for expressing his opinion? He is making a subjective judgement. Is it better to challenge him, insult him or examine his opinion for anything that could have gone better or have been done better.

At some point we (racers) all have to take some ownership that the "BIG SHOW" we're providing is not selling out the stands, week to week. That being the case, every non satisfied customer's opinion needs to be considered.

I'm just thinking about this in general, not relating it to SAS Sat. night.

BTW, what was the little fellow with the glasses name on My Three Sons?

Jay

jracer98,

I am not blasting him. Just giving him a chance to,

1) get his money back,

2) show everyone how it is done.

Who knows, I just might pick up something I can use later on. :rolleyes:

Bill "Sarge" Masom

98 is right! at what point do you stop and ask the person that did not like the show----how can it be improved...( a paying fan)

If you keep TELLING people (FANS) to go home and never come back, just because they expressed an opinion that YOU did not agree with. (1) your gonna run out of money, (2) we may find ourselves racing in front of no one.

Yes everyone has an opinion ( good, bad, or ugly ) but an opinion just the same. We should respect that, and try to improve.

TomH

...and who played Ernie?

Sarge,

As Ashley(8) says, don't get your feelers hurt! Part of our job is to put this fellow into the stands on a regular basis. He has stated his dissatisfaction. In the customer service sense, what are you willing to do to meet his needs?

Jay

jracer98

In the customer service sense, what are you willing to do to meet his needs?

1) I am offering to send him his ticket money back. Personally, out of my own pocket

2) I am offering him the chance to show me how it is done. He says I suck, I am giving him a chance to show me how it should be done.

Honestly, I am going waaaaaaay beyond the realm of customer service.

And I am completely, totally, and utterly honest here. If he PM's me his info the check is in the mail. And I will give him the opportunity to announce a race. All he has to do is show up and the microphone is his.

What the heck more do you want me to do?

Bill "Sarge" Masom

How can a person like Barry Manilow ever enjoy any races with an attitude that is that negative and nasty. If I looked hard I could find something to complain about at any race I have been at but I love racing and I know nothing is perfect. The Geek...uh I mean the Greek is always looking to take a shot at TSRS. Why he has a personal problem with the series I don't know but he was very nice to Mary Ann in person...hmmm...must be what they call two faced. Yeah Barry can run his mouth but when he steps on toes there will be response like those seen tonight!

Archived