2 x 2 Racing Daytona

wheelchair49

Lets not beat the horse before it gets to the gate. My guess is that ya'll dont like it since it is different, and I can respect that. What ya'll got to in 300 miles was 34ish lead changes and most definatly a photo finish. Yes the racing is different from years past, but lets give change a chance, after all they could be just single file racing around the bottom of the track like a few years back at 'Dega.

JMO

I'm on the fence as well. It is different - but I like difference.

I live and work with a bunch of insane folks and the definition of insanity is doing things the same way expecting different results! So the only way to improve is trial and error with the differences - constrained of course with learning from and thus not repeating mistakes!

Not sure the tandem is a mistake until we see how it plays out amongst the teams with points on the line over a distance race. After all THATS what its about - championships are not determined by fans liking or disliking the TV action. If ya ain't twisting the wheel or wrench ya ain't got say in how the program goes - merely whether or not YOU like it. So far the drivers and owners are mixed - and willing to see how it plays out.

I stocked up on brews just in case I need to create my own Sunday excitement.

I liked the racing - it played out well. record number of lead changes, record number of leaders.

The only thing I did not like was instead of an accident picking cars from the pack in singles - it picked em out in twos. Basically doubling the carnage. I am not sure how much it contributed to the record number of cautions (some of the mis-cued moves I saw would have been the same from a large pack) - it did make a difference though.

I did not like it at all. I think there is now too much distraction for the drivers. Did you see how many other cars he can dial in on the radio? Did you hear all the chatter going on during just one lap from the spotter? I think the driver needs to pay more attention to racing with out all these distractions of trying to figure out who to dial in on the radio doing 190 miles an hour or more around the track. I'm all for the spotter and that's it. This radio racing is not racing to me.

I did not like it at all. I think there is now too much distraction for the drivers. Did you see how many other cars he can dial in on the radio? Did you hear all the chatter going on during just one lap from the spotter? I think the driver needs to pay more attention to racing with out all these distractions of trying to figure out who to dial in on the radio doing 190 miles an hour or more around the track. I'm all for the spotter and that's it. This radio racing is not racing to me.

What was scary about that is that there were several times where drivers remared "I never heard you say anything about a caution!" and then several spotters I head say "I didn't hear them about the caution, my bad.."

Maybe it's time for NASCAR to institute some sort of RSS type system (From Racing Electronics) or have a channel like IRL who can go directly to drivers as a whole.

left ear NASCAR - right ear your choice would be a good starting point.

Yea I wondered about the missed caution call too. I never liked the spotter having to "relay" the caution call. Takes up valuable time. It seems that there s\b an "early warning system" like a 1 second tone on ALL freqs as soon as the light comes on.

But then whenever my phone rings at 70 I jump so maybe not all ideas are as they sound.

left ear NASCAR - right ear your choice would be a good starting point.

Yea I wondered about the missed caution call too. I never liked the spotter having to "relay" the caution call. Takes up valuable time. It seems that there s\b an "early warning system" like a 1 second tone on ALL freqs as soon as the light comes on.

But then whenever my phone rings at 70 I jump so maybe not all ideas are as they sound.

IRL, ARCA all have systems in the car that directly notify the driver. IRL has lights above the wheel that blink, ARCA uses the RSS system which flashes an amber strobe on the dash. NASCAR's a little behind the times on this. Spotters are SUPPOSED to listen to NASCAR. Perhaps they needs lights up near the spotters that strobe when the caution comes out as well. There's long term hearing consequenses to have two different sources in each year. It'd need to be a blend of the two in each ear.

I watched about 10 laps to give it a chance, then I went to hang some plywood walls up in my garage. Still didnt enjoy the day.

And I dont like the drivers being able to talk with each other. I told my wife it would be real fun to watch about 5 drivers talk to each other, line up side by side at about 100mph and just block to make a statement. Shouldnt be allowed. Get back to the good old " here I am, I hope you can handle it" type of racing.

But I really lost what little interest I had left with NASCAR when they started the points chase. I hate that as well. JJ wouldnt have been champion so many times. Kyle, would have won it last year. Of course I wouldnt like that either but at least I would give him the props for earning it.

I watched about 10 laps to give it a chance, then I went to hang some plywood walls up in my garage. Still didnt enjoy the day.

And I dont like the drivers being able to talk with each other. I told my wife it would be real fun to watch about 5 drivers talk to each other, line up side by side at about 100mph and just block to make a statement. Shouldnt be allowed. Get back to the good old " here I am, I hope you can handle it" type of racing.

But I really lost what little interest I had left with NASCAR when they started the points chase. I hate that as well. JJ wouldnt have been champion so many times. Kyle, would have won it last year. Of course I wouldnt like that either but at least I would give him the props for earning it.

The JJ wouldn't have won 5 championships excuse is soo damn tired. Almost as tiring as the excuses as to why Junior can't win a damn race...

Congrats to Trevor Bayne and the Wood Brothers. Good to see an underdog win a race. Overall the race was "Ho-Hum". Mikey Waltrip still can't keep his car under control. JR fans at our Daytona party had lots of "excuses" for how his day was going. And now all the drivers and spotters are buddies and talking to each other and hooking up and all "Palsy-Walsy" and BFF's. Good Lord, what's going on here??? How about you just let all 43 drivers hold hands and skip across the finish line and everyone gets a first place trophy. Cause remember in our Politically Correct world of the future there are no losers, everyone is a "Winner". Looking forward to March 5th at THR. Time for some real racing. Just my 3 cents. Lenny66 B)

There's long term hearing consequenses to have two different sources in each year. It'd need to be a blend of the two in each ear.

I did not know this...

Of course this explains my hearing problems - nice day for a drive, stereo up and wife screaming "slow down" in one ear only. It IS her fault!

lol

There's long term hearing consequenses to have two different sources in each year. It'd need to be a blend of the two in each ear.

I did not know this...

As an audio engineer for my day job, I take my hearing protection seriously. You'll always see me wearing earplugs under my headset. It's amazing how much clearer the radio is with those boogers in there, but at how much quiet-er the environment is around you. I actually don't run my radio any louder with than I do without. Bizarre.

But yes, mostly the problem is with musicians who wear in-ear monitors. If they've got one monitor in and one monitor out, the ear without the monitor in is trying to compensate for the lack of 'precsence' that the other ear is hearing. The brain will attenuate the 'in' ear while cranking the volume on the 'out' ear and in short, damage will start appearing in the 'out' ear.

With two different sources your ears will default to the loudest ear and then try and crank the volume on the other ear to try and hear the same thing.

The human body is an incredible machine, and when it comes to sight and sound, is really a piece of work!

I did not know this...

As an audio engineer for my day job, I take my hearing protection seriously. You'll always see me wearing earplugs under my headset. It's amazing how much clearer the radio is with those boogers in there, but at how much quiet-er the environment is around you. I actually don't run my radio any louder with than I do without. Bizarre.

But yes, mostly the problem is with musicians who wear in-ear monitors. If they've got one monitor in and one monitor out, the ear without the monitor in is trying to compensate for the lack of 'precsence' that the other ear is hearing. The brain will attenuate the 'in' ear while cranking the volume on the 'out' ear and in short, damage will start appearing in the 'out' ear.

With two different sources your ears will default to the loudest ear and then try and crank the volume on the other ear to try and hear the same thing.

The human body is an incredible machine, and when it comes to sight and sound, is really a piece of work!

Thanks - somehow that also helps explain my tinitus changing with different environments! I do wear hearing aids and have found that turning them up in different steps (right on med and left on low) does make the tinitus harsher in the left by the end of the day. I thought it was the phone (i use the left for the phone almost exclusively).

Lets not beat the horse before it gets to the gate. My guess is that ya'll dont like it since it is different, and I can respect that. What ya'll got to in 300 miles was 34ish lead changes and most definatly a photo finish. Yes the racing is different from years past, but lets give change a chance, after all they could be just single file racing around the bottom of the track like a few years back at 'Dega.

JMO

Agreed.

I've gotta admit, I've reduced my visitation to the forum signifigantly because I get so tired of reading "I hate Nascar" "the racing is crap" blah blah blah. If the racing is so bad, why do most of you even watch, or comment?

Let me ask: What would make it so great, you'd watch every lap and NOT complain? Lets beat that horse to death again.

Today I was running down 1604 in San Antonio and got behind a NASCAR caravan of haulers. Pretty cool. 2 CAT team haulers, one Danica Patrick rig, and one Jimmy Johnson rig. I'm always amazed how clean and spotless they are. Sorry budman, didn't get a pic of the Patrick rig. She was about 14 feet tall and looked good as ever.

The JJ wouldn't have won 5 championships excuse is soo damn tired. Almost as tiring as the excuses as to why Junior can't win a damn race...

So you must be a fan of his? And Jr I guess? Facts are facts, he wouldnt have. Every driver should be rewarded for his or her entire season, not just the last few races if your lucky enough to get in. I bet you never see this type of point structure at any short track.

Every driver should be rewarded for his or her entire season, not just the last few races if your lucky enough to get in. I bet you never see this type of point structure at any short track.

Every driver should be rewarded in fair accordance and consistant application of the rules and regs of their sanctioning body. If they prefer a different point structure than the one they signed up for - they should choose another sanctioning body that uses the structure they prefer.

Last I checked local short track programs were not watched by the entire nation - if even at all. How many folks in Poughskeepsie New York really care about billy bob badboy's main event win at siloh ok speedway - a count of 8 cars and about 100k in assets (including tow vehicles) running the race? Last estimate I heard was about three years ago - 6 BILLION in assets participate in speedweeks. And how many short tracks pay the winner of one race (the Daytona 500 in this case) $1.4mil?

This was one of the arguements we (the association at our local track) encountered in 1974 when trying to get NASCAR sanctioning - they were concerned with a dillution of their main asset by (participants more so but even in the fan base) trying to equate what we (small tracks) did with what they (then grand nationals) did. Two completely different shows. But it is fun to pretend we are the same! (When I was five I used to put cards on the spokes of my bike to pretend I was driving a motorcycle).

Lets not call an apple an orange just for the sake of arguement. The rules are different for high school football and NFL so what good does it do to want or expect NASCAR Sprint Cup to run like a short track? Kicking a field goal is worth 3 points but the same play after a touchdown is only worth 1. This is wrong on so many levels it is unreal. Why is there no outrage at THIS injustice? I don't think it's fair that soccer players can't use their hands. Lets get after that one too. And don't even get me started on baseball where excellence is measured in average.

At our level the factors that go into making our rules are far different than at the Cup level. There were MANY reasons they altered to the chase format - all of them business decisions with info that even WE were not privey to - or did not know how to weigh into the big picture.

Archived