San Antonio Speedway Lease Option

becka29

Anyone in the septic tank/sewer business that would volunteer work or at least pitch in???

Electrical/Plumbing???

all you need to know about plumbing is: stuff don't flow up hill, dont chew your fingernails, and payday is on friday lol

we will be there with mowers, weed eaters, what ever we are in

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you know in Dodge City, Kansas the race track is owned by the city, it was a beautiful facility, we raced there with the trucks. They tore it up and made it into a dirt track, sad.

And it has been more successful as a dirt track. They originally built in in the middle of dirt country, wasn't hardly any local asphalt cars within 3 hours. We raced there a few times with the trucks, and the local's knock was the same thing we're reading on the Sportmod thread--- asphalt tire expense, and wear and tear on the engine compared to dirt racing. To be honest, if I hade been up there in the gropup that built the track, I'd have pushed for a dirt track top begin with.

Reading all this, and seeing what all is going on around SAS, I can't help but laugh. When Toyota made their big announcement, the City big shots and developers saw huge dollar signs. I wonder how many are rethinking their land purchases, development plans, etc.

Let's see, there is empty office across the street from Toyota, Don't see the hotel going up across the street from the track, they have not even made the curb cuts for the 1200 homes on Watson Road.

The only property reused on the 3 track complex is the long gone dirt track, and maybe part of Alamo dragway down track.

And everyone I know that works for Toyota or a supplier has bought somewhere else a long way from that area. They don't want to live in that area. Can't blame them there, and I can relate--I work at old Kelly Air Base, and live in Schertz, and I refuse to relocate closer. I live outside Bexar County for a whole nother group of reasons.

And while Toyota was a good thing for San Antonio, and will continue to be, I think the support requirements around there were grossly overestimated in the name of greedy develoipment money.

I honestly think that SAS , rebuilt to code, would have nice long future, properly promoted, and fairly run. As for bringing it up to code, think about all the blue collar business that is represented by area racers. We have enough plumbers, mechanical, hvac, electricians, welders, carpenters, painters, and cement pourers to build a palace. And I know most of them enough to know they would gladly volunteer services to have a place to play. Add so many of us who would help. I aint any of those I listed, but there are a lot of us who would gladly pull wire, glue pvc, paint, tie rebar, etc.

Ive been working in construction inspection and project management for the cosa for almost 2 years. the main thing it taught me so far is there is always a way. I like all the positive feedback for a change. I had thought up a way to get racing at sas on a very limited schedule maybe 3 to 4 times a year on the lease option back after it closed but wasnt greated well so the idea was abandonded. I dont know if I have the energy to take it on by myself again, but most of the issues that would need to take place are already thought through. In fact it seems like most of you have thought them out. heres some bullets to think about to get around code issues.

1.porta lets ( plumbing)

2. day race ( electrical)

3. tempory water ( fire control)

4. outside concessions and crafts( rent booth space like carnivals and fairs this brings in money and limits liability and adds to the atmosphere of a big event)

5. DO IT FOR A CHARITY!!!! lots of stuff can be donated if its a write off. maybe free portalets, donations for purses and expenses, rental equipment like generators, volunteers save huge amounts of money, and sponsors like buying advertisement for a good cause.( I like wounded warriors.plug plug)

and insurance is EXPENSIVE but there is way to make it cheaper. Doctors on volunteer at track with medical tent on site , more fire and rescue on site than you can shake a stick at, a safty program and staff with a documented procedure and plan and inspections.

6. make this a one time big big big show. involve community leaders, give the mayor a community appreciation award for helping the good cause by some of the wounded warriors and ask the media to cover.

give yourself time to do it right i'd say end of oct or nov.

Im starting to ramble but you get the idea. Now first we need to form a board of designate a leader to get it off the ground or it will never go . who wants it?

I KNOW THIS SOUNDS MEAN BUT IF IT DOESNT HAPPEN THIS TIME I HOPE IT GETS TORE DOWN IT'S A SHAME TO JUST SEE SETTING THERE, TIRED OF GETTING EXCITED ABOUT NOTHING, JMO ................BUT FOR NOW HOLDING OUT FOR THE GOOD

Now first we need to form a board of designate a leader to get it off the ground or it will never go . who wants it?

I nominate Rick Day. He'd be perfect for the job.

Nick

Just got back from the track. It IS very raceable. Grass and sunflowers are growing in the cracks up against the wall and a few cracks on the racing surface. My concern is that in many places the walls are leaning inward more than the should. But the track IS raceable as I see it. ALL the wiring and breaker boxes have been destroyed. All the buildings have been broken into and stripped and tore up. Those would have to be boarded up so people wont go into them and get hurt, That goes for the announcer booth and press box. Someone even cut the aluminum flag pole down. Its going to take a lot of work just to weed eat and clean up. There are a few TREES growing just inside the front strech fence which will have to be cut down. The stands look great. I saw no rotting or missing boards. I took some pics and will post them as soon as the wife gets home and shows me how to down load from her camera. I also used my FLIP video recorder and will try to post it on youtube. never done it before. Bottom line..........Day races could be held there right now. Almost forgot...The fuel tank is gone along with the pump but the scales are still the and it looks functional.

You all are living in a dream world. We are in a bad recession. Wake up! Quit beating that poor dead horse. Two promoters tried to revive Longhorn in good times. Car count and attendance was falling off when SA closed! JMO and every one is entiled to theirs. Just remember rule #1 in everything MONEY TALKS BS walks.

I know that this is very emotionally charged thread, and I for one would love to race at SAS. It seems like the lease idea is a viable option, however a couple of things need to be taken into consideration:

1. Someone is going to have to be in charge. That entails handling all of the sub contractors, red tape, inspectors et al. This will be a full time job, so this person will have to be paid by somebody.

2. Money for permits. It is wonderful that we have such a wonderful group of people in the racing community to donate time, materials and labor to resoring this great track, BUT, someone is going to have to pay for the permits and legal stuff.

3. Promotion. Someone is going to have to pay for promotion. Without that, all of the donated labors of love will be for naught.

4. For a non profit, if that is the way it needs to be done, officers and a board of directors will need to be elected.

It all boils down to needed LOTS of cash. For it to be done right, lots of this stuff can't be donated time or part time work.

The Blue Moon Motorsports Team is willing to help any way we can.

People on here are saying that the crowds and car counts were dropping when SAS Closed.

I HAVE TO DISAGREE.

I know for a fact that the year i managed the track I personally went through the Attendance records from 2005 comparing them to 2006 and our Attendance was up like 80%.

Car counts were increasing in the Sportsman, Road Runners and Grandstock class. True the Late Models had there ups and downs but all in all there was an increase.

We were really looking forward to 2007, starting off with a great ASA race to build on and then the CITY put the screws to all of it.

Yes, it would take alot and work and effort on the racing community to pull it off, but YES it could be done. If people would volunteer there time and material (i know alot of construction jobs have left over material) it could be a first class facility again.

Will it be an instant success, NO, but the ol Girl still has life in her and with the right people back in charge I know it will work with alot of hard work and promotion.

I would be willing to come back and help with the undertaking and love being the GM and Race Director again. I would jump at the chance to finish what myself and Debbie Williams were doing.

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Rick Day

Archived