Houston Mod Race on 5/7

jracer98

Ok guys it's time for me to jump in. [Comment edited out by Nick Holt, 3/20/04] Just look at ther web site now. First it was TAMS/Modifieds and LImited Modifieds then it went to IMCA Modifieds and Limited Modifieds, now it is Modifieds and NO LIMITEDS. THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!! Who ever heard of a track not paying a purse to the racer. What track will last if they dont pay the racer. Wel I thik I will stop here before I really get upset tonight.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hotrodracer-

As the TSRS participation was just announced, my take is that the event is still in the planning stages. Remember, a lot of things (including the date and the upfront money) are dictated by NASCAR, and the Bakers will have to work around that.

In addition, I'd bet that anyone (Mary Ann, for example) who knew about the event would be trying to get their cars into it for the additional exposure and increased credibility for their series. (Congratulations, Mary Ann; good move.) That includes the Legacys and the modifieds, in whatever form. This also means the specific classes and rules may not be available yet; they are still tweaking and planning.

Due to the event probably not being finalized as yet, there has probably also not been much promotion so far. No surprise there, either.

As for "Who ever heard of a track not paying a purse to the racer?" that has been discussed on this forum in the past. In fact, many tracks don't pay purses, and very few pay enough for the racers to make money. Racers should be paid for what they bring in the gate, less a percentage to the track owner. Put NASCAR Nextel Cup series numbers in the grandstands, and someone will be more than willing to pay a purse. But they can't, not won't, CAN'T, pay you more than you bring in. No business could.

SAS, I haven't seen anything promoting the event in Houston yet, That doesn't necessarily mean there hasn't been any, I just haven't seen it. I would imagine that they will spend the advertising $$$ as the event gets closer. People have a short memory, also the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is going on right now. Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Mary Ann for putting this together for TSRS. Even without any promoting of the event (that I have seen) there is more excitement in this town over this race than I have seen in many years. The "big money" for a win is great but the real value as I see it is bringing excitement back to Houston over a race. I have a feeling there will be allot of NASCAR fans show up and be surprised at the quality of the cars, crews and facilities right here in their own back yards. Sponsors of any car racing in this event can't help but be thrilled over the exposure and coverage they will receive. Waddy, Well said my friend. I'm stoked about this event in case you can't tell.

Reb, I was referring to the "other Jay and Marc". Looks like we need a differintiator(sp) for future posts. You and Jay G will have to work that out.

Jay Guthrie, We've got the car ready to go except paint and engine. Paint should be done this week, but the engine has proven to be the big delay. I'm not even sure we can get it together by TMS, but we're trying.

If you need help to run HMP, we don't have a race that weekend so Jason and I would be happy to pit for you. I'd like to see the races that weekend anyway, and Jason and I have been talking about driving over for the weekend. Let me know. Rusty

I was just at the Houston Motorsports Park website and I noticed that the wording for the May 7th events is different than it was.

The new listing for May 7:

NASCAR Practice. Plus Races for Modifieds $2,500 to WIn, LImited Late Models $2,500 to Win, Allison Legacys, Legends cars and Bandoleros

The old listing for May 7:

NASCAR Practice. Plus Races for IMCA Type/TAMS Modifieds $2,500 to WIn, LImited Late Models $2,500 to Win, Limited Modifieds $1,000 to Win.

Wonder why the TAMS and IMCA names were removed.

Has anyone seen a set of rules or the purse structure for either the Modified or Limited Late Model events yet? Here's hoping they get the details worked out soon because HMP is a fantastic venue for big events like these...

Nick Holt

Wonder why the TAMS and IMCA names were removed

I remember reading a while back that IMCA is no longer allowing their name to be used in unsanctioned events.

Hence, they will no longer allow events to be billed as "IMCA type" or "IMCA rules" when there is no IMCA sanction in place.

It is a branding issue. Would NASCAR allow you to advertise a race that was NACAR Elite Rules apply, when in fact NASCAR has nothing to do with the race at all? I don't think so.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas. Have microphone, will travel.

Marc(19), LOL , e'd the track this weekend--->no response

I'll try to get it figured out when we're down there next week if the info hasn't surfaced between now and then. The fact that they are changing the websight wording tells me that someone is "there" . My expectations of this deal are pretty minimal at this point.

Jay

Marc(19), LOL
Good one Jay(98) I have E-mailed the track recently also, with the same outcome as you had! Does Mick Anderson still head their PR department? Anyone have his personal E-mail or phone number? PM me if so.

Sarge, I remember that going on, to where tracks were adding an "r" to the wording, IMCAr modifieds. But I think they've(IMCA) has backed off on that because tracks are still using using the simple IMCA-type or IMCA rules in their ads for shows.

Funny nothing much is know about this race, yet look at all the press/hype it's getting! LMAO

This is from Brett Root's column in the January 2003 issue of Inside IMCA.

http://www.imca.com/news/january03/broot.html

[snip]

The old saying goes “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,” and to a certain extent, I.M.C.A. is flattered by the efforts of other organizations.

However, there is a fine line there. At I.M.C.A. we’ve always allowed our sanctioned tracks to make reference to I.M.C.A., even at their non-sanctioned events. We’ve viewed allowing this to happen as a benefit of being associated with I.M.C.A. We’ve all seen this, the I.M.C.A. “type” references.

Unfortunately, this has trickled down to tracks that have never been I.M.C.A. sanctioned, to products that have never been I.M.C.A. conforming and to other organizations that supposedly have rules but make references to I.M.C.A.’s.

All this has done is create confusion as to what is really I.M.C.A. legal. We place great value on our rules and the ability of our members to know what to expect when they attend I.M.C.A.-sanctioned events.

However, when non-sanctioned tracks, non-conforming manufacturers and other sanctioning bodies attempt to dilute the consistency of our divisions, we will make every effort to put a stop to it.

Please understand that we have the interests of our sanctioned tracks, our members and this organization in mind whenever we choose to address these situations. And we will likely be addressing them throughout 2003.

We want to maintain the consistency when the I.M.C.A. name is attached to anything, and make it clear you may have no idea what to expect when choosing the alternatives.

[snip]

Anyway Reb, I think it would be a daunting task to elimitant them all, but I have seen signs where they are trying. Perhaps the track in question realized the conflict and pulled it themselves. After all, we all make mistakes.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas. Have microphone, will travel.

You guys are not paying attention. They have added another race for the weekend schedule also. A $2500 to win HMS Late Model for Saturday. If you dont believe it, just dont go. But why try to knock HMS for putting together a great show that weekend.

Gasman, I saw that they added that to the sched but I think that the problem is that no one has seen what rules will or not be allowed to run. For all that it matters in that LM race you could feasibly be able to run Brandons ROMCO car if the rules allow... Problem is no-one knows....Though I would imagine the teams that Houston would want to include in that race would get a heads up rules wise so that they (teams) can look ahead to be able to compete... I am also assuming that since the TSRS was invited to goto Houston for the Fri. show that TSRS rules apply for that particular race. Maybe just maybe that was what Houston intended by saying it was a TAMS/IMCA type race so that they didnt have to publish rules per se...

Marc

Just received this from an email from Mary Ann Naumann:

Rules for the May 7th @ HMS Park NASCAR event will be released this evening!  

Thanks!

Mary Ann Naumann

Of course, the rules she is referring to will probably be about the Limited Late Model event and not the Modified event.

Nick Holt

I am told the rules will be like the asphalt mod rules and the dirt cars car follow the same type rule that they put in place to allow dirt cars with open open motors to run in the asphalt mod. racing series . There ,and i did'nt evensay IMCA or TAMS ( OPPS ) :) .

So dirt cars pick a tire and race.

Rules for mod. race at hmp. Show up pay entry fee and race. What other rules would they use featherlite mods? Since there is none of those cars here in TX that doesn't seem like that would happen does it .I find this subject almost funny somebody trys to put on a special race for the mods. and all I see is why you couldn't or shouldn't race and then yall get on here and bitch about payouts and not enough tracks and the future of asphalt racing.

Archived