Houston Mod Race on 5/7

jracer98

What is the deal on this? I just read about it on a different thread and went to the Houston track site. How many TAMS cars will contest this for $2500 with a TAMS race the next day at SAS? What are they using for rules? Since the track is not in the race promotion business, whose deal is this and are they trustworthy?

It strikes me as odd that there is little to no discussion/promotion of this event.

Thanks

Jay

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is taken directly from the HMP website schedule for May 7, 2004:

NASCAR Practice. Plus Races for IMCA Type/TAMS Modifieds $2,500 to WIn, LImited Late Models $2,500 to Win, Limited Modifieds $1,000 to Win.

Yes, jracer98, it does seem strange that HMP would suddenly start posting purses since their stance all along has been that they pay zero purse money.

Also, it seems odd that HMP would deliberately try to compete with the TAMS race the very next night at SAS.

Perhaps someone in the know at HMP or TAMS will let us all know what's going on.

Nick Holt

As few minutes ago I received a message from Wayne Norrell regarding the May 7 event for IMCA/TAMS type modifieds at Houston. In his message Wayne made it clear that TAMS is not sanctioning the Houston race and is exepecting his TAMS teams to be at the scheduled TAMS event at San Antonio on May 8.

I quote from his message:

Nick,

... TAMS will have no affiliation with this race (at Houston on May 7) at all. The scheduled race at SAS on May 8th is the only one that TAMS will be associated with. Please post something advising everyone of this to settle any rumors.

Thanks

Wayne

Nick Holt

JJ&S-

What missing money are you talking about? The way I read it, the total purse is four grand, with two-and-a-half large going to the winner.

As for rules, I'd expect the modified rules to be pretty identical to TAMS rules. This is a NASCAR weekend, remember, which means the organizers probably had little or no choice on when to run, and are simply adding other classes to make a good show.

HMP still isn't paying purses, as far as I know. This is like the Space City 125s: all the money is coming from sponsors.

i think it said something like "imca type " modifieds. i read it as whoever wants to run {as long as car is legal} can show up. a lot of people want to run on the same weekend as a nascar series. besides how many of us who have raced at one track on one night have loaded up and driven to another track in the next town? B)

And if you're a TAMS regular and you happen to wreck at Houston and can't run at SAS the next night? Don't forget SAS has supported TAMS since it started and this is just a one time shot at Houston.

Nick Holt

tgi3 i run in tams , the regular tams event pays more than that on a regular event. im saying there not going to be paying anything down the line. i will come and run if the money is right. show me the money!!. waine has done alot for racing in tx. we have a race there next week how about turner giveing us a hand with our pay out for this race .

JJ&S-

I don't know what the normal payouts are for TAMS, and it doesn't matter. Maybe they loaded the front end for a better purse for the winner, and are paying out less down the line. That's not unusual.

As for Turner "giving us a hand," Turner isn't giving anyone a hand. As I understand it, he's raised money from sponsors; again, just as the guys do for the Space City 125. And just as anyone, including you, is perfectly free to do for TAMS for any race.

I couldn't find where it said that the total purse was 4K. The posted TAMS payout in the feature at CC was $6400. I continue to find it odd that there is minimum "awareness" info, no posted paydown or rules for something that is less than two months away.

Jay

Lege9mod,

Also what are they refering to as Nascar series??

The "NASCAR series" is what used to be known as the All-Pro Series and is now called NASCAR AutoZone Elite Late Model Series, or something like that. They have a show at HMP May 8.

Nick Holt

Whats wrong with running 2 nights in a row we do it all the time on dirt . Don't crash I know thats hard for some of the guys but this is a chance to have one good paying weekend support both shows. The modified guys just finished 2 nights of raceing in CC why didn't you say something then Nick, if you crashed on Friday you couldn't race on Sat.

What's wrong with you guys! If HMP wanted to compete with TAMS they'd have scheduled the race on sat. nite. IT'S ON FRI! Race HMP, drive the 4 hrs to SAS and race there. That's a possible purse of $3300 to the winner.

Oh I forgot, TAMS doesn't allow Q/C rearends. Well I guess you'll have to do that chore at the track. Believe me, if we still had our Mod, we'd be at both tracks---especially with a chance to pick up $2500. That's a pretty good payday compared to the normal $800 - $1000 for a TAMS win.

And why would you care if it only pays down 3 places unless you're a Backmarker. Read between the lines---Backmarkers need not apply!

Thanks tg13. I was looking for it "in print" but couldn't find it. That doesn't mean what he said is wrong, he may have the inside track on the info.

While I respect Hray's competitive spirit, if that was everyone's view, promoters would take advantage and cut their total purses while hanging a good number on the win. I don't race for last place but I do view 24th place as tow money in a touring series. Another point in the quickly dwindling paydown scenerio is where the place money begins to ramp up. If 10th through 24th pay about the same and if I've had a hard night and am running 17th with 2 to go...I'm not going to stupidly wreck a bunch of cars trying to get from 17th to 9th for an additional 50 bucks. There was a day when I would do it for a Coke but that day has passed.

Jay

i get tired of hearing about "what if you tear the the car up " .if guys can't race without tearing cars up they may need to step down or stop driving over their heads, we need to remember most of us race out of our hip pockets, not all of us have sponsors or own our own businesses, if a lot of drivers are tearing up equipment needlessly the officials or other drivers need to "say" something!! just my opinion. B)

hray,

What's wrong with you guys!

My wife says quite a bit is wrong.. LOL

I agree - there is nothing whatsoever wrong with having options as to where to race on a given night. Where I grew up you could choose any number of asphalt racing events on any given Friday or Saturday night. A team could take their car to any one of three nearby tracks - Beech Ridge, Oxford Plains and Unity Raceway. It was their choice. There were plenty of cars to go around and the stands were full at each of the three tracks every weekend.

But, unfortunately and for a variety of reasons, we are not at that point YET here in Texas. We're still trying to keep our few remaining asphalt short tracks alive. Don't get me wrong, I believe we are starting to make some progress to do just that. Good things are happening at SAS, CCMS and THR this season. The formation of TTOPA is a good example of the new spirit of cooperation that is developing.

While some are saying that the May 7 Houston event will not hurt the SAS TAMS car count on the 8th, I predict that it will for the following reasons:

1) Some of the Houston area TAMS teams who were planning on hauling to SAS for the May 8 race will now opt to race at the Houston event on Friday and skip the SAS event on Saturday.

2) Some of the TAMS cars will wreck or break at Houston and not be able to run at SAS.

3) Some TAMS teams who are not based in either San Antonio or Houston (i.e. Corpus or Austin) will not be able to afford the logistical expenses (Hotels, travel costs, meals, etc) to make both races and will have to chose between the two races.

Hopefully, when TAMS teams are trying to decide where to race that weekend they will keep in mind that TAMS has been a good deal so far and deserves their support. Nothing against the good folks who are organizing the Houston race, I'm sure they have the best of intentions. But in my book you dance with the one who brought you to the dance.

This is just my .02 cents and I'm sure there are other opinions that are just as valid..

Nick Holt

Nick,

You are out of your mind. The more racing the better. I know that SAS has been very supportive of the series and HMS is trying as well. I think it would be a blast to load up after the race on friday in Houston and head to SAS for their race. If you tear up your car thats a risk you take. Racing is also a risk, get out of you shell and just do it. If your scared then save your stuff and just go to SAS. I know for a fact that there are a lot of dirt guys who want to take their cars and will run them on friday night for the purse they are offering. Texas is at that point, we are ready to see more racing. There are a ton of modifieds in the Texas area, not just TAMS. If Texas can handle tow different latemodel series races then they sure as hell can handle some competing modified events.

Archived