Houston Mod Race on 5/7

jracer98

HMMMM...on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being an absolute certainty, what is the possibility of being "clanged" in the heats by a well meaning but first time pavement driver in a great dirt car that has 1.5x the horsepower of a gas 2bbl, .5 of the paved track setup knowledge, is about 2200 lbs on lap 1, 58% rear weight bias, no spotter, no mirrors, etc.

I'm thinking 8 or 9...

Jay

AFTERTHOUGHT...HOW MANY PAVEMENT DRIVERS WRECKED ON LAP 1 IN CC...10?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BlueOval, that is interesting you should say that, 2 years ago there was a $5000 to win $3500 for second and a whole lot more money in a asphalt modified race in Kyle. Only 38 cars showed up. I think your dreaming when you start thinking dirt modifieds are going to leave there dirt tracks and come race on asphalt. Some not many will and the ones that do are real good. I do agree there is nothing wrong with competing modified events but it would make good since if the Houston guys could have tried on a differnet weekend. Better for both worlds. The 2 late model series you refer to I assume are ROMCO and TSRS, well one is a super latemodel and one is a latemodel, there is a big difference if you want to compete. The Houston guys should make there own rules and run their own modified show don't use the TAMS rules. Anyway just some thoughts, the more racing the better I agree with that.

blueoval,

I agree - there is nothing whatsoever wrong with having options as to where to race on a given night. Where I grew up you could choose any number of asphalt racing events on any given Friday or Saturday night. A team could take their car to any one of three nearby tracks - Beech Ridge, Oxford Plains and Unity Raceway. It was their choice. There were plenty of cars to go around and the stands were full at each of the three tracks every weekend.

Does the above sound like I am not for more racing? As you say, I might be out of my mind, but I'm certainly not against more racing in Texas.

Nick Holt

The Houston folks are probably "married" to that date by the All-Pro schedule. It would seem to me that they probably need to add to the income line with some more entry fees and pit fees to make the overall weekend numbers "work". It also is added value for the fan and would aid sales.

Just a thought.

Jay

I understand that the Houston people are just trying to make the Nascar Elite weekend good enough that they get on the schedule every year. But they don't seem to be going about this in the right way. Don't try and throw something together at the last minute, they should have talked to the TAMS and TSRS people and got it in the schedule early.

The other problem i have is don't throw out a big dollar amount to win and not show 2nd on down, what are they hiding. Also put the rules out!

Man , you guys should take a ride with H witt jr. one weekend . Friday , Sat , and some Sundays all at different tracks ALL over Texas . And if it rains at one .... loookout its a BIG state !!

But in a nut shell pick one or the other or both , Being its not santioned it really dont matter does it.

I think its good that someone has givin the Houston Mod area a chance to run somewhere for some decent money to win( and we do race to win dont we) . With all the disfuntional dirt tracks there this may be a chance for some guys to give the pavement a shot and who knows they may have fun and end up in the TAMS series.

Givin that i would like to see the rules myself . i would hope that they would be balanced for any modified to run ( even my metric sled ) . Maybe no one gets to run a sway bar ! that would be interesting

three wheel pavement mods , cool . Anyway I am gonna do some checking on this .

in response to owen pittman's statement, 2 years ago there were not very many cars that were willing to run on asphalt many of the guys just didn't want to do any changes to their cars . tams had just really gotten started , now days i am pretty sure there would be more than 38 cars show up .ya'll need to calm down no one said that you had to run at hms, it would just be good chance to run at a first class place, and of course "you dance with who brung you" no one was saying to leave tams or sas or kyle . B)

Houston held a modified race down here about 3-4 years ago beofre TAMS was known. It was held at HMS when Daniel B(sp?) owned it. This was a big dollar race and many many cars showed up. Most of the majority being the Houston and Baytown Dirt cars. I agree with Lege, its racing. When I traveled with a racing crew, it was thursday, friday, saturday and come home sunday. This was a blast and sometimes we slept in our trucks, but it was all worth it. If you are afraid of seeing these tracks offer money for big modified races then we arent going to get anywhere, being TAMS or not. I think the Houston race will go great and the SAS race will go great as well. Stop thinking like a promoter Nick and start thinking like a racer. Who cares if its for the same weekend, have you ever been to speedweeks in Florida? You see the same cars over and over. This is our problem in Texas, takes some risk and let it roll. Friday night in Houston Sat in SA sounds wonderful. Keep up the good work HMP and SAS. Lets keep seeing those big money purses HMP

:D Ok if I get all this right,Turner is putting up money for the Houston race,and he is the owner that Chris Davidson races for,doesn't Chriss plan to run in the all-pro race? Not faulting him for that,but it soundss like he would will be racing at home that weekend. I haven't studied the schedules for that weekend,but is ROMCO running that weekend or not?Idon't (oh well I will keep my mouth shut on the other issue this could bring up!)

97car-

I don't think anyone has said Turner is putting up the money for anything. He did (as I understand it) raise or help raise sponsorship for the Autozone series race and probably for the others as well. Chris is running the Autozone (formerly All Pro) series for Davidson, but as that is a NASCAR race, neither Turner nor the Bakers will be in control of that event.

Chris is not running a full ROMCO schedule. I have also heard Brandon will run the Allpro race in Houston too. I bet quite a few others also run it including maybe Kenny Bumbera and Joe Aramendia. I sure hope some new guys come up into ROMCO or some of the others can give Brandon a big challenge this year because if not it will get boring very quick. But Bradley is gonna show him hows its done!

OK, Time for ol' Reb to chime in here and set a few people straight! :o LMAO

I won't get into the logistics of racing HMP and SAS, I think it's well known how I feel about competing races.(Dirt or Pavement)

I love the way people look at $2500 to win and instantly call it a "BIG MONEY" race. If they aren't offering a good pay back, and only a 4K total purse it's hardly that.

Now for all those thinking they will get all the dirt hot-shoes, GET A GRIP! (no offense Lege9mod- ;) )IMCA guys will be in the midst of points racing, and this is is the same weekend as the ALLTEL 100 in Batesville paying 100K to win, with over 400 cars pre-registered. The "start" money in that race is almost equal to the "to win" money at HMP.

Races trying to attract big name dirt guys are only going to work before or after points seasons, and certainly not up against a REAL Big Money show.

Has anyone actually seen any rules or total payout yet????

I'm with Nick, another date would have made more sense, and his "dance who brought ya" theory.

Maybe I'm just cranky because this is my fourth day without a cigarette!! :(:huh::blink:

Rebel

Your right why would a dirt racer give up a $100,000 to win race for a $2500 to win race on asphalt? This is for all you asphalt racers it gives you a chance to race 2 nights in a row. For all you racers that are going to do this my hat is off to you. I know that there are many reasons that you can't run 2 nights [like money or work etc.] but for the guys that can and won't shame on you this not only gives the modifieds more exposer it shows that you guys will support special shows. Read above a $100,000 to win on Dirt and $2500 to win on asphalt ask your self why is that do you think it's because the dirt racers are scared to race 2 nights in a row and to support a special show NOT

Poorboy, you need to look up the diffenition of a "Backmarker". If you're good enough to win on any given nite, you're not a backmarker. If you're there to pay your entry fee, race, and then get it paid back for finishing 10th or 15th on back week after week, you're a backmarker. If the payout is truely what has been reported in this thread, you aren't getting your entry fee back for any position beyond 3rd place. This is not a series like TAMS. They don't need car count by attracting backmarkers (in fact they screw everything up by causing delays and sometimes wreaks). I'm sure what HMP would like to have on this FRI (not Sat) NASCAR weekend is the best of the best asphalt modified cars and drivers. I'd like to see a show with the best TAMS drivers + 10 or so of the modified hotshoes out of Florida and the midwest. Have you guys ever seen any of the mods run at I-70 or Anderson Indiana? Let's get $25000 split between the top 3 and see what kind of talent shows up. Weed out the backmarkers with qualifying races and let the good guys go at it.

Bottom line: I'M ALL FOR 2 RACES IN ONE WEEKEND!

Hray,

I haven't discussed it with Marc as he has been on the road but I'm looking at it for myself since we have decided to only race one car in Houston on the 3/27 and I'm looking to pick up another night . I need to see more about the rules/payout but the rest of the weekend (TSRS/ALLPRO)looks like a good show to see. That said, right now, asphalt mod racing in Texas is the direct result of the efforts of TAMS(et al) and I am not looking to be disrespectful of that fact. There is a small voice in the back of my mind that is saying if I am going to race that weekend, it should be either "both or in SA". That said, I have "posted" my 2004 schedule on this board in other conversations and directly with WN. The 5/8 SA race was never in my plans. On the road help is a problem with us right now and I don't know if we can do both. Time will tell, and truthfully, I am a little skeptical about the Houston deal's "facts".

How's the ROMCO deal going?

Jay

hray, I'm going to assume you were refering to Jay(Guthrie) and Marc(Madison) the TAMS drivers. But on the odd chance you were refering to Jay(me) and Marc(my photgrapher), I didn't want to leave you hanging. Speaking for myself, it's still up in the air as to where I'll be. I really want to go to Batesville, but can't afford to take nearly a full week off, so I may just end up in Houston, providing I can find out who will be in charge of issuing credentials for the NA$CAR Late Model Series.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the Jay/Marc duos got confusing! LMAO

J You must really be having a nic-fit... I will be there in H-town Fri... Working on Sat. as well... :) We shall see how that goes... Looks to be a blast...The only thing I dont get is why no one has done any promotion of the race(s) on here. I guess becasue most of the folks on here race they figured they already knew? This goes out the the Houston guys JP SVC Hudak is there any promotion going on down there as well or is it just word of mouth so far...

Archived