Talladega

RodneyRodriguez

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it was edwards and brad keslowski coming from about 15th to the lead and pulling away with 2 to go. as far as the best teams, best engine builders and all that, that is so true. now nascar has kind of become irl. back in the beginnning it was just a good shade tree mechanic who knew how to tweak the car a certain way to gain an advantage. now days if you dont have a team full of engineers, you will be running in the back of the pack.

You are right. It has become like the IRL. Maybe they could kill two birds with one stone though....Solve they problem of skyrocketing costs and level the playing field in one move. This is how they could do it. Issue the cars at the track like the IROC race. then they would all be the same....no tweaking except for in race adjustments - eliminates all the engineers, same set up for qualifying and race - save more money, NASCAR works on the cars and issues them the day of practice- eliminates mega shops for teams. Have the teams pay a flat fee to have one of the cars issued to them on race day.Equal cars will highlight driver skill. Spec racing at it's best.

or do it like that. the top 20 in points will get locked in every week. the remaining teams show up and run a heat race in the iroc cars for the remaining spots. then they do a bingo lottery system to determine starting spots. then they run the race, and go home. kind of like running go carts. you show up, drive and go home. hahaha. saves a ton of money and nascar has full control of the product. it just might work. lol

I agree restrictor plate racing stinks but it causes cars to stack up which causes big wrecks which pleases most fans which makes more money for Nascar. WRONG.

elaborate please

restictor plates dont cause 99 percent of the wreck ..drivers do ... they go four wide for how ever many laps .what do you think is going to happen .some one will fall asleep and screw up ... most wrecks are caused by the drivers .. not tires .not blown motors . heck not even the wind ......pull the restrictor plate .have everyone drive the same set .horse power .. and you would still see the big one ...........put 43 iroc cars on the track .and what would you think will happen ..

I agree restrictor plate racing stinks but it causes cars to stack up which causes big wrecks which pleases most fans which makes more money for Nascar. WRONG.

elaborate please

restictor plates dont cause 99 percent of the wreck ..drivers do ... they go four wide for how ever many laps .what do you think is going to happen .some one will fall asleep and screw up ... most wrecks are caused by the drivers .. not tires .not blown motors . heck not even the wind ......pull the restrictor plate .have everyone drive the same set .horse power .. and you would still see the big one ...........put 43 iroc cars on the track .and what would you think will happen ..

:ph34r: That's why we see a "big one" every time they race at Michigan or Cali right? (sarcasm) :blink::blink:

still remember when wild bill from dawsonville came from a couple laps down under green to win at dega.man was on a mission.cant do that anymore without buddy's taggin' along on your bumper.

still remember when wild bill from dawsonville came from a couple laps down under green to win at dega.man was on a mission.cant do that anymore without buddy's taggin' along on your bumper.

If I remember correctly, when they finally were allowed to measure Wild Bill's 'Dega car a couple of years ago, it was found that the car was 7/8 the size of a regular cup car, and that's why he was able to make up those laps.

Seriously for a moment ............................ Chase, I want to address your post #47. Historically automobile racing was conceived as a contest whose object was to cross the finish line first, thus winning the race.

Now, according to your post, at Daytona and Talladega, that is not necessarily the case. It would appear you are admitting racing there has degenerated into a motor contest of making sure (or at least attempting to make sure) none of your fellow competitors cross the finish line before you do, in order to win the race.

THAT is a whole different sport.

and nascars response saying the track will not be changed. the "big one" is what sells the most tickets for nascar. they will not monkey with that when the sport is already hemoraging money due to the economy and the automakers mess. they have to stick with what is making them the most money, and right now that is the drama with the plate races. the crash was wicked, but it was also a perfect set of circumstances. if ryan wasnt there, carl would have landed and crossed the line. just like dale earnhardt hit the wall at the right angle and had the seat belt problem. sometimes all the stars line up and it ends up a big mess.

:ph34r: That's why we see a "big one" every time they race at Michigan or Cali right? (sarcasm) :blink::blink:

im sorry did i miss something ..i thought we were talking aboult dega ..cant compare those other two you mentioned ..and i accept your sarcasm ... but seeing you mentioned those tracks that dont run restrictor ..would you posibly think a big one would happen ..if they did run restrictor ... id say they would ..

Come on people, let's be honest here. You all know on any given night at any given track a car can go through the fence and into the grand stands. One night at Thunder Hill many years ago we had a legend car go to flipping and it bounced over the catch fence in turn one.

I have seen post on here and on TV of cars going up and through the catch fence at short tracks, local saturday night racing.

It doesn't have to be a Daytona or a Talledega type track.

In the past two years, Monster Trucks have either run over someone and killed them, or gone into the stands and killed someone or had parts fly off and killed some one. They are still racing all over the country.The ONLY way to GUARENTEE the safety of the fans is to erect a concrete wall as tall as the catch fence and completely seperate the fans from the track. Then they could hang Jumbotrons on the wall and you could watch the race that way. Kinda takes all the fun out of it doesn't it? reality is: The fans want the excitement and the adrenaline rush of the inherent danger and the specticle of the horrific crash and the driver climbing out and walking away. The driver's want the adrenaline of racing at high speeds in close quarters,(granted maybe not in 43 car packs, but you get my point).Reality is this.....other than building stronger, taller fences and moving the spectators back another 20-30 rows, not a whole lot can be done without removing the very thing that keeps NASCAR fans in the seats. The "Big One" or any other wreck for that matter always makes you run in from the kitchen to see what happened. Admit it. No one ever runs in the living room yelling "Are they still running single file?" The winners never seem to b$#@h about restrictor plate racing...just the ones that wreck.

And one more note....Does anyone remember the uproar when Rusty Wallace changed from Pontiac to Ford? Where is that kind of brand loyalty now? Get rid of the COT. Run cars that LOOK like cars in the showroom. An idea T.Q. had was that NASCAR should run Pony Cars, ie; Challenger, Mustang, Camaro. And make them actually look like those cars other that headlight decals. I think that's a good idea.

im sorry did i miss something ..i thought we were talking aboult dega ..cant compare those other two you mentioned ..and i accept your sarcasm ... but seeing you mentioned those tracks that dont run restrictor ..would you posibly think a big one would happen ..if they did run restrictor ... id say they would ..

Oldtimer,

Nevermind.

I won't put the blame on restrictor plate racin. If this accident happened with an unrestricted car it would had been 10 rows into the stands. Nor would I blame blocking.This is one of the crown jewels of racing. Any driver would throw a block to win that one. The thing is the yellow line. It has its place during the running of the race. Jason is close but I would not get rid of it with two laps to go.You may have 5 wide going into a turn with many not coming out.Just do away with it on the tri-oval on the last lap.The second place car can go under the line to pass and the lead car cannot put any part of the car below it to block. That way it would be an easy call for NASCAR and should lower the risk of a similar accident.

As you can see from my prior posts, I think blocking IS a big problem. A racing organization that allows it has departed from the original concept of auto racing. It then degenerates into something akin to motorized roller derby, which is precisely what N-car has become.

That type of racing is then imitated at every short track all over the country, where it is allowed.

I rather like the IRL's view of blocking. A driver who blocks is first warned by race control. If the driver persists, he/she is then invited to the pits via the black flag for a lengthy discussion of the matter.

Archived