Toyota Plant,

bigfat

The plant that "shut the trach down". Is now shutting down itself??? How does that happen??? It's not permanent but wow!

they say it is only for 90 days, and they will soon bring all tundra production to the san antonio plant. the good thing is they say that during the shut down, they will continue to pay the employees their full paychecks. so for people that work there it looks good. 3 months vacation with full pay. sweet. lots of fishing and geting paid for it. hahaha

ALTHOUGH I DID'NT CARE FOR THEM COMING IN TO TOWN TOYOTA ISN'T ALL TO BLAME FOR OUR TRACK SHUTTING DOWN IT WAS PEOPLE BEING GREEDY, AND NOW LOOK AT THEM..............WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND

Well isn't that a kick in crotch.....I just got laid off...permanantly...no paid leave, no severence, even lost my two weeks paid vacation.......SCREW TOYOTA!

Rodney, last I knew Carlson still had the lease, don't know what year it runs till.

Miss Lillian may just have wait a while to cash in her gold mine.

ALTHOUGH I DID'NT CARE FOR THEM COMING IN TO TOWN TOYOTA ISN'T ALL TO BLAME FOR OUR TRACK SHUTTING DOWN IT WAS PEOPLE BEING GREEDY, AND NOW LOOK AT THEM..............WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND

You're right about Toyota not being totally responsible for the track closing. It was our GREEDY A$$ City Council that thought they were going to get rich on that big subdivision they wanted to build. Come to find out that the soil was contaminated with DOME DIRT from the AlamoDome grounds. Ain't that a Bite in the Butt!!! Wish I had the $$$ to reopen SAS. ;) Lenny66 B)

they say it is only for 90 days, and they will soon bring all tundra production to the san antonio plant. the good thing is they say that during the shut down, they will continue to pay the employees their full paychecks. so for people that work there it looks good. 3 months vacation with full pay. sweet. lots of fishing and geting paid for it. hahaha

I might have misunderstood the news tonight but I thought I heard them say that the employees will continue coming to work as they were going to conduct in plant training so when they did begin production again they would improve their methods. Then there was also a statement that a Tundra plant up north would be closing permanently and their operations would be transferring to the SA plant in 2009. All in all a plus for SA and this plant but not cool for the temp workers and some of the suppliers.

My understanding is,Mr. Carlson is sub-leasing from Mr. Howell.Mr. Howell is in the middle of a 99 year lease for the facility.....that is from one of those little birdies...and...well....

I guess the only way to find out who the hell has the lease on the track is to contact Ms. Reeh. I won't bad mouth Ms. Reeh, she is only looking out for her and the family, I think she may have gotten some "blown up" values on that property after the City of San Antonio started annexing all the dirt out on Hiway 16 cause they thought they were in the money!!! Terry Dickerson did all he possibly could to keep that track open, Personally I think the city gave Terry and all the racers and fans the SHAFT. It is greed to a point, it was definitely a "leap before they looked" action that closed our track!!! <_< It would be a real nice to see SAS reopen with all the code violations addressed and corrected, but in my opinion there was nothing wrong with that track for the 30 years it was open!!! Fastest 1/2 mile in South Texas. Maybe the Labonte brothers should look into this. :P Lenny66 B)

the main question would be is the track still under the City of SA's zoning? And if so, are they still going to be as strict with code enforcement? Sounds like a good issue for Dawn's show.. or get Trey Ware on it, maybe they can get some of these answered.

With lawyers and politicians involved, you won't get a straight answer from anyone regarding the actual status of the nearby housing/mixed us developement that was begun next door to the track. Lots of money to be made or lost on the eventual outcome.

The one sure thing about the whole deal is the TD did the very best he could and lost a pile of money in the process. I actually helped him draft a very generous purchase proposal for the property early in his first year of operation. I am aware of several other even more generous proposals that TD made after the Reeh family declined the original offer.

Like him or not, TD and his staff had begun to turn SAS around in a signifcant way when the city inspectors arrived with their outrageous demands.

Some political heads have already rolled over this fiasco and more than likely a few more will roll as facts surface from the litigation that involves the soured development surface as time passes.

Ms. Reeh should have taken TD up on his original offer, but, hey, hindsight is easy..

Nick

Nick, You are absolutely right about the lawyers & politics in this land game. TD & family did alot for the racing community. I know he made several "generous " offers to Lillian, but like you said "Hindsight is easy". I'm sure if the City Council were making some $$$ off of the track they would have been a little more supportive in our efforts to keep it open, greedy sob's!!! I believe the informaton about the status of the land is public information and may be obtainable thru the court house, I may have to look into this myself!!! Either way it still sucks. And I mean no disrespect to MaryAnn and all the staff, racers and fans at THR, but I sure do miss the 1/2 mile rush!!! It was a great place to race and a little closer to home.

Lenny66 B)

This was not the first or last boo boo by San Antonio, does anyone remember back in the 80s they annexed or tried to annex all the way out I-10 east to Cibolo creek,nut had to give it up when they did not or could not provide city services. I don't know what the status of that area is now, I just remember that issue. Like Nick said lawyers and politicians will keep this in littigation for some time.

FROM THE TIME THE TRACK OPENED TIL IT'S LAST NIGHT OF RACING, SITTING THERE TEARING EACH TICKET IN HALF TO COLLECT HERE DOLLAR A HEAD CASH MONEY(NOT TO MENTION THE LEASE AGREEMENT), SHE COULD OF SENT ALL OF HER GRAND KIDS TO ANY COLLEGE OF CHOICE. LIKE I SAID GREED KILLED OUR TRACK.

P.S. NICK YOU COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER

This was not the first or last boo boo by San Antonio, does anyone remember back in the 80s they annexed or tried to annex all the way out I-10 east to Cibolo creek,nut had to give it up when they did not or could not provide city services. I don't know what the status of that area is now, I just remember that issue. Like Nick said lawyers and politicians will keep this in littigation for some time.

The area you speak was annexed by the city of San Antonio. However, it only encompasses the interstate itself, the access roads on both sides but only to the inner curb line. They do respond to police calls on the IH 10 proper but also get supported by the Bexar SO. There are different fire jurisdictions in that area but SAFD does also respond to anything on the highway or access roads.

Never thought I would say this and I no I am going to get blasted but the Tundra is a darn nice 1/2 ton truck.Don't knock one until you drive one with an open mind and judge for yourself.They also have the highest resale on the market right now.(what is left of the truck market)

Wow - I had not heard of any heads rolling or that development being in any difficulty. Other than the councilman from the area getting "educated" by the mayor and council over the buffer-zone deal, I hadn't heard about any heads rolling about that development.

.......Tundra,.....no I really dont' think so. Sometimes it just comes down to the principal of the matter.

It is not a question of quality or engineering as for the most part Toyotas are pretty well built.

Everyone has an opinion and some families, as a result of history pretty much do not have any use for Japanese cars.

Not blasting Landlord just stating an opinion.

.......Tundra,.....no I really dont' think so. Sometimes it just comes down to the principal of the matter.

It is not a question of quality or engineering as for the most part Toyotas are pretty well built.

Everyone has an opinion and some families, as a result of history pretty much do not have any use for Japanese cars.

Not blasting Landlord just stating an opinion.

Blast all you want.I have never been into foreign made car companies myself.A buddy of mine bought one is the only reason I have been around one so much.It really is a nice piece but I want have to worry about considering buying one until Toyota builds a 1 ton diesel duelly Tundra. :o

Archived