Scott Kalitta has died in a bad crash

mac70

Just found out that he has passed away in the last round of qualifying, it popped the motor caught on fire and went off the track and exploded, pray for his family and Connie no one deserves it but its a sad sad day in racing.

bad day and the mood is being captured well on espn2 where they were suppposed to show qualifing but have change to a tribute to scott. Race in peace great sir :(

Thankfully the basket at the end of the track was empty because it got hit real hard, I have not heard anymore about a cameraman being injured or killed but there were some guys around the sand trap that I guess had to scramble pretty quick, When I hear more I'll post it.

post-4860-1214092659_thumb.jpg

I have to say I am in total shock right now. Scott was one of those guys who was like the underdog you always wanted to cheer for. I cant imagine how the family feels as well as everyone with NHRA right now. Pray for the families involved. I believe dad had a chance to meet Scott in Norwalk a couple years ago when he was there. Here is a picture of Dad on the line while Scott was leaving the line in Norwalk.

post-19-1214094491_thumb.jpg

Andy, Jon, and myself had the opportunity to see Scott win his one and only Funny Car trophy at Houston in 1989. He went nuts he was so happy. He was a really good guy and well respected in the racing world. He will be missed.

Mike Garrett

ESPN news channel just showed the accident. that was the first time I saw it and all I can say is WOW :blink: . again very sad day! :(

Race In Peace Mr. Kalitta and all my thoughts and prayes to your family

As a driver and the father of a driver we all understand the risks associated when you zip up that fire suit and strap into the race vehicle be it a drag car, oval car, boat or what have you. It is only in times like this that we realize how open we are to mishap and how much we put it on the line for the sports that we love. I had the opportunity to meet Scott at HRP this last race. Scott was a true champion in every sence in that he loved his sport, loved his life and loved his family. I saw him taking time to talk to young kids who were Jr. Drag racers and to share with them his love for the sport.

God speed Scott. I truely belive that God has a plan and that he must have a need for your personallity in heaven. My thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family and his crew. His crew needs to realize that accidents happen and not second guess what they did. They are all professionals and the sport will get safer. We all need to take a page out of this book and each and every one of us that puts ourselves or our kids into a race vehicle need to make sure that we've taken every safety procaution we can. God speed Scott, you will be missed.

sad deal ..i listen to those two brothers .and both had something to gripe aboult . i maybe wrong but im not the only one .they seem to be very much into themselfs ..one wasnt happy aboult not haveing a chance to make the race ..the other complained aboult safety .run off ....guy was going over 300mph ..something went wrong . id bet and i am not even close to being an exspert .thats up to others who know more than i do ..it looked like he was probably knocked out .one reason for no brakes .though it most probaly would not have helped much ....how much run off would they really need ..and how much is the standard ..at the speed he hit that wall .it would have to be a very long run off .mile two miles three miles ...a sand pit that is built at a upwards angle ..they have safety nets dont they ...what is the answer ..you could never make it safe enough ..nascar cant do it .

From what I had read and seen there is a road at the end of the shutdown area with trees on the other side of it and a catchfence at the end of the sandtrap to protect the road... It was said that the car hit the sand dug in and parts of the car went everywhere. If you look at the track using google you can see what I mean... Englishtown, nj.

You have to remember that the interview was a while after the accident, Tony was refering to the wall directly behind the sand traps basically it is a really tight shutdown, if your not on the chutes and brakes immediately than your in the sand, that track has had a lot of cars go off the end of the track. It is shorter than most other tracks like Topeka. What Cruz was refering to was the sponsors and business side and it is the truth, however at that point the truth and all the money in the world is no longer important. Just a little help to understand the car, When the motor pops in one of these it has several burst panels in the intake and on the body there is a panel in front of the injector that is supposed to give to allow the pressure out so it does not blow the body off. This has happened several times this year where the panel stayed on and the body blew off. All that equalls to tremendous pressure and it probably did knock him out. When the body is blown off on a funny car the chutes are automatically deployed, in this case they did not bloom (may have got caught under the bars or something). It has net at the end but obviously the car went through it and hit the wall which is why the shutdown should be longer and have more sand. Most of these tracks were built when a car was going less than 225 not over 325 so they need to get the tracks up to date. Either make the tracks longer or make the races shorter is about the only thing they can do to start the process. The cars are safer than ever as well as the drivers so hopefully NHRA can make things happen so these deals will have better chances at a good ending.

Archived