Shady Oaks Speedway?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a call from one of the guys that have been doing alot of work out at the track with Jim and said they were going to have a tall man lift out there aiming the track lighting and painting the grandstands. Everybody that would like to meet the new owners and help whip the place into shape are urged to come on out friday and Saturday and chew the fat and work off some turkey..lol

I think someone should get with Nick to post Shady Oaks Speedway under its own msg. board like the rest of the tracks instead of just all on 1 topic.

I believe that if Jim would like his own forum here, Nick will be happy to accomodate.

• 2 weeks later...

Lights! Cameras! Heavy equipment! Action! No, wait! How's the safety equipment situation? EMS, fire crews lined up? Please don't let this critical facet be neglected 'till it's too late....

Lights! Cameras! Heavy equipment! Action! No, wait! How's the safety equipment situation? EMS, fire crews lined up? Please don't let this critical facet be neglected 'till it's too late....

Thanks for asking. I know we will not run without a crew for fire and safety. What have you got in mind ? I have nothing in stone as yet. Let me know .I could use the contacts,Jim Scribellito

Glad to hear about Shady Oaks. Was wondering what was going on out there. My husband said he noticed someone was doing work. My Grandfather set the light poles when the place first opened and I remember going as a little girl to the races. Last time I was out there was when the Turners were running the place.

Thank you everyone for your continued excitment about the reopening of Shady Oaks Speedway! I've just posted a bunch of pictures on Facebook. Please take a look! Just get on Facebook and look up Shady Oaks Speedway! Request to add us as a friend and you'll be able to view our progress pictures! I'll continue to post new pictures until we get our website really running.

Thank you!

Laurie Scribellito

Like the pictures. I'm surprised at how well the track and facilties look. Would imagine it's due to a lot of hard work on your families part.

While I only raced there once (Halloween Havoc a few years ago), I do remember it was a fun track. But what really stands out in my memory was the nice park-like pit area, with all the shade trees, shower facitlites, etc.

Though for me it's a fairly long haul down there (approx 160 miles), I may have to make a trip or two next season.

Good Luck to the Scribellitos!

Thanks for asking. I know we will not run without a crew for fire and safety. What have you got in mind ? I have nothing in stone as yet. Let me know .I could use the contacts,Jim Scribellito

I know that Paul is from out in New Mexico, but is big on pushing track safety, as am I. Paul was a good friend of Ryan Bard, the boy that got burned to death in his car at a race in Abilene last year, hence the Ryan Bard Safety Foundation. I was there also, it was a very disturbing site, and that track was equiped with proper fire/safety crews. Everything just happended so fast....

I also know in the past that at one point one of the previous track management groups was very lax about safety in Goliad...no ambulance on site if I recall the issue correctly. There was another track up in the Waco area that was actually boycotted due to lack of on site safety crews.

This year one track dropped it's fire crew in leiu of 20# Kidde extinguishers in the infield. I felt that was poor thinking on their part. I even asked if he risk of a potential million dollar lawsuit was worth not spending the money for an on site crew.

Many years back at Alamo Dragstrip, they had a dragster go up in flames, which they tried to put out with a couple extinguishers....It didn't work and the driver lost his life. Granted the driver didn't have full fire gear on and was just as responsible....but lawsuits did ensue.

Sad thing, a couple years before any of these events happened, I did a driver/track safety survey. It was met with little participation and general lack of interest. I'm glad to hear that you have safety related interests in your track plans.

If you're interested I can get you connected with a friend that was actively involved in track fire safety. He has recently moved back to Iowa, but I can give you his email address.

As Reb said, I am in NM, and not only was Ryan my friend, he should be married to my daughter right now. I just don't want ANYONE else to go thru this kind of loss. Accidents are preventable but happen anyway, so my real concern is how are we dealing with the "what ifs", and I certainly sense his frutration with the lack of buy-in by both track and car owners. As we talk at drivers meetings, and it goes in one ear and out the other, you begin to feel like you're pushing a rope uphill. Just simple stuff, mainly...Common sense can head right out the window when testosterone gets in the picture. Thanks for considering the EMS/fire crews, and no, I don't have any real specifics for you since I don't know the area and legal issues. The owner of Aztec Speedway donated money to the county fire dept, and got outstanding coverage, but apparently that's the exception, not the rule, due to legal wrangling in TX. Trained, able-bodied, trained, willing, trained (did I say trained) people are what is needed for the proper response to an accident, not Bubba with a fire extinguisher under each arm. (Sorry Bubba, I know you just want to help). Some pre-race safety checks go a long way, too. At the track that I regularly attend, I cruise the pits with gift cards in my pocket to award/reward random acts of safety, such as: double checking fuel caps, lug nuts, seats, harnesses, having extinguishers out and handy, using jack stands. It's been fun to watch guys scramble when they see me coming! You see, there are no rules or laws for that kind of thing, so there's nothing to enforce, so you have to approach it differently, and I think pit safety is almost as important as track safety. During a pit tour at the RB Southern Challenge, with 250 some entrys, I counted a grand total of 9, yes 9, extinguishers visible in the pits. So 241 didn't think they would need one, I guess. Anyway, thanks,

Paul

Here's an update! Just in case you all didn't see the new topic regarding our new website! Our new website is up and running! Please visit us at shadyoakspeedway.com! Please notice that there is just one "s' in the name of the website!

See you all there!

Merry Christmas!

Laurie Scribellito

Thank you everyone for your continued excitment about the reopening of Shady Oaks Speedway! I've just posted a bunch of pictures on Facebook. Please take a look! Just get on Facebook and look up Shady Oaks Speedway! Request to add us as a friend and you'll be able to view our progress pictures! I'll continue to post new pictures until we get our website really running.

Thank you!

Laurie Scribellito

Here's an update! Just in case you all didn't see the new topic regarding our new website! Our new website is up and running! Please visit us at shadyoakspeedway.com! Please notice that there is just one "s' in the name of the website!

See you all there!

Merry Christmas!

Laurie Scribellito

1 s? you mean 2, instead of 3?

For starters you have the most informative web site I've seen. Thankyou so very much. No Gray Areas, No Loop Holes, No Questions. Thankyou! Secondly thankyou for spreading the purse throught the field. Winner takes home enough in most cases but the rest of the field usually doesnt get much. Your purse in my opinion is just right. Everyone gets their share w/o over paying the winner. Lastly your missing a registration form us to download, fill out and send to you. We are ready!

Archived