Shady Oaks Speedway?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaddy Oaks drew cars from Corpus, Austin and San Antonio. Like CC Speedway and STS after they closed, drivers in the local area still have their cars covered up and will come back out of the wood work once a track reopens. I do know that the Turner Family was the big reason that Shaddy Oaks had what succes that it did. I'm not sure if their are enough cars to support the track but I would like to think that there are. It was always thrilling to watch a race there especially when they had the Late Models running.

Are there any drivers that would haul there if it reopened????????

I beleive what closed the track was a local judge that lived nearby. I think they passed some noise ordinance to stop the racing. If that is the case and somebody bought the track then they wasted their money.

Not sure if it will ever open again or not but it was closed because Tina wasnt breaking even no noise issues ever came up.

It closed because George is hard headed. It was over $4000 dollars worth of soil testing pending the purchase by turner is the way I understood it. If they ran on opposite weekends or friday night, I think they would make it.

Not sure if it will ever open again or not but it was closed because Tina wasnt breaking even no noise issues ever came up.

In fact noise issues DID come up. The judge agreed to let the racing continue but only if all cars were off the track by midnight or the track would incur a fine. That was a blessing to me because the shows had been dragging on way too long. When the judge made that ruling I got to get home in Austin by 3:00 AM where I had been getting home more like 5:00 AM. THANK YOU JUDGE!!

Don in Austin

In fact noise issues DID come up. The judge agreed to let the racing continue but only if all cars were off the track by midnight or the track would incur a fine. That was a blessing to me because the shows had been dragging on way too long. When the judge made that ruling I got to get home in Austin by 3:00 AM where I had been getting home more like 5:00 AM. THANK YOU JUDGE!!

Don in Austin

It was an agreement with the surrounding land owners, that he would shut down at midnight, theres no noise law out there,especially for a business, if so, the drilling rigs couldnt operate without being hauled to court every five minutes. Yes it was nice to get out at a decent hour

Funny this come up, my brother said the other day they went by there and just for the heck of it. He said it looked like you could open the gates, it looked like it was ready to race. Which he thought was kinda weird, but I believe George always kept it up. Never let the brush and trees and weeds take over.

Never know?

I used to Love going to watch the races there and then going fishin in Rockport the next day..

is there such a thing as a better weekend in south texas? :D

Maybe if your fishing partner and crew chief were fine blondes, and the gas was free...lol

Funny this come up, my brother said the other day they went by there and just for the heck of it. He said it looked like you could open the gates, it looked like it was ready to race. Which he thought was kinda weird, but I believe George always kept it up. Never let the brush and trees and weeds take over.

Never know?

Oh then somethings up, the last time I went by there, there were cows grazing in the infield, which was last year.

I was there in 2001 (I think) and our feature was cut down to 10 laps because the races ran late. The photographer got hit by a car in the infield and it took about an hour to get another ambulance there. It was still well after midnight before the races were over. man that was one cool race track. I liked the pits, but you had to watch out for those mesquite thorns.

I was there in 2001 (I think) and our feature was cut down to 10 laps because the races ran late. The photographer got hit by a car in the infield and it took about an hour to get another ambulance there. It was still well after midnight before the races were over. man that was one cool race track. I liked the pits, but you had to watch out for those mesquite thorns.

I remember the photographer getting hit...If it's the same night I'm thinking of I think he was hit by the #3 super stock....I was sure glad he was ok....

so wats the deal, does any1 know if its goin to open????????

I guess somebody's gonna have to go down to the Goliad court house and see, or find somebody who gets along with George and ask him...I know just the person....I know ,its like a needle in a hay stack...lol

Don in Austin

I stand corrected, there was a commissioners court noise ordinance inacted, when Williams ran the track. That was before Turner took over.

It closed because George is hard headed. It was over $4000 dollars worth of soil testing pending the purchase by turner is the way I understood it. If they ran on opposite weekends or friday night, I think they would make it.

you think you know everything well you dont it was not over $4000 dollars of soil testing . turner decided not to deal with hard headed drivers :ph34r:

Archived