Shady Oaks Speedway?

Al VL stated, it is now fact. I personally had the privilege of meeting Jim, his wife and children, and seeing Shady Oaks for the first time this afternoon. Many of you know me and you can trust me that this gentleman and his family are as real as real gets. I was very impressed with Jim in the short time I got to talk with him, and I was also impressed with his wife as well. I consider myself a pretty good judge of character, and I think everyone will see that Jim is a people person, really and truly cares about dirt track racing for the sport and not only as a business venture. You'll quickly see that he will be an excellent compliment to racing in the Golden Crescent as well as the South Texas area overall. There is a pretty neat story about how he ran across this venture and made his way to Texas. Never having seen Shady Oaks before, I also now understand how nice the overall property layout is.

For me personally, and my role with TRP, I will be doing everything that I can to work with Jim for the good of both tracks and for the good of racing overall in the South Texas. There will be some great opportunities for teams as well as both of the tracks in the area.

Now, there is a lot of work (back labor work) and elbow grease ahead for Jim, but having only arrived to Texas on Sunday, he is already at it. Everyone needs to be patient as the family gets settled, works on establishing a business base, website, etc. I know you will be hearing more from them soon, so hang tight and give them a chance to get stabilized and really get rolling. I think you'll be impressed with the end product.

-Monty

Monty and all racers everywhere in south Texas can be assured that my family is doing what we can ASAP to get up and running by first ofnext year. We are haveing internet trouble and am trying to correct that. I also am trying to start the web site up so you can contact us through it. www.shadyoakspeedway.com. We can use all the help we can get! please feel free to come by and visit but don't be upset when I hand you a paint brush LOL .Thankyou one and all for such great interest and support. I have had great people come by and help and for that We are extremely gratefull. As for the rules you can expect them to be the same that you already run so that the transistion is easier for allinvolved. Monty and I have pledged to work together for the good of all . I am sorry for the delay in my responce but I am useing wi fi from the local hotel .Thankyou to all from the Scribellito family.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Scribs Family,

Its good to see yall back on the imformation hiway..lol I plan on seeing yall again soon as soon as I can get a day off. It looks like its going to be a beautiful weekend to get some people out and about, I plan on being there this weekend. As long as my bees have left....lol just kidding I'll be there.

Late Models meaning full-blown, not late model stocks. The question was really about running the crate late rules or open rule Lates. It would be prudent to run a late model class that would afford the racer to compete at numerous other tracks. I was trying to see who all still had an interest in busting out the cars that have dust on them and what rules would be most appealing. Everyones ideas are welcome, and its not a debate, its more like a think tank...lol. Sounding board if you will.

Can I Get An AMEN to that ? Lets all work together and help this new 1/2 mile track get back going . Can't wait

Shaddy Oaks drew cars from Corpus, Austin and San Antonio. Like CC Speedway and STS after they closed, drivers in the local area still have their cars covered up and will come back out of the wood work once a track reopens. I do know that the Turner Family was the big reason that Shaddy Oaks had what succes that it did. I'm not sure if their are enough cars to support the track but I would like to think that there are. It was always thrilling to watch a race there especially when they had the Late Models running.

Are there any drivers that would haul there if it reopened????????

My self and a three other guys are putting together cars for I 37 Limited late class for next year.. We would. They all said they would if the rules were the same , and they run on Sat night.. .... Walt

I Know of four limited lates that would come down from san anton area,m if the rules were the same as I 37 and they run on sat night Walt

:blink: I thought it was a 3/8 mile

I was told it was a big 3/8 closer to half than 3/8 .... I never raced there Sorry Walt

• 2 weeks later...

I WOULD LIKE TO WELCOME THE SCRIBELLITO FAMILY TO SOUTH TEXAS. I HOPE YOUR STAY IS A SUCCESSFUL ONE. MY NAME IS ABEL ARREDONDO AND WE AT DOGGETT MACHINERY AND RED DOG RENTALS WOULD LIKE TO HELP YOU ALL RECONSTRUCT THE RACE TRACK. IF YOU NEED ANYTHING DON'T HESITATE TO CALL ME AT 361-289-0727 OR MY MOBILE # IS 361-774-2460. IF YOU NEED ANY EQUIPMENT CALL ME ANYTIME AND WE CAN SURELY WORK SOMETHING OUT. WE HOPE TO HELP SPONSOR SHADY OAKS SPEEDWAY IN SOME WAY. I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON AND AGAIN GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. :D

We are building a late model for i-37 and are willing to pull to goliad. All so have a street stock if you deceide to run that class too. Have not ever seen the track but have heard from all of our friends that it is a really nice place.

Even willing to come down and help u work on the track if u need the help on the weekends.

Best of luck to you.

Call if we can help in any way

Shane Moore

210-364-5929

I WOULD LIKE TO WELCOME THE SCRIBELLITO FAMILY TO SOUTH TEXAS. I HOPE YOUR STAY IS A SUCCESSFUL ONE. MY NAME IS ABEL ARREDONDO AND WE AT DOGGETT MACHINERY AND RED DOG RENTALS WOULD LIKE TO HELP YOU ALL RECONSTRUCT THE RACE TRACK. IF YOU NEED ANYTHING DON'T HESITATE TO CALL ME AT 361-289-0727 OR MY MOBILE # IS 361-774-2460. IF YOU NEED ANY EQUIPMENT CALL ME ANYTIME AND WE CAN SURELY WORK SOMETHING OUT. WE HOPE TO HELP SPONSOR SHADY OAKS SPEEDWAY IN SOME WAY. I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON AND AGAIN GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. :D

Thankyou,Abel As it turns out I was in your store recently looking for a backhoe. I ended up buying one from a very nice owner of allgayer construction co.I am still in desperate need of a decent motor grader and would like very much to talk with you about that very subject.Thankyou for your generosity please call me anytime at 361-676-9446 Thankyou again Jim Scribellito

We are building a late model for i-37 and are willing to pull to goliad. All so have a street stock if you deceide to run that class too. Have not ever seen the track but have heard from all of our friends that it is a really nice place.

Even willing to come down and help u work on the track if u need the help on the weekends.

Best of luck to you.

Call if we can help in any way

Shane Moore

210-364-5929

Thankyou for your offer to help. Quite honestly we can use all the help we can get. We plan on painting the whole place and have one thousand gallons of white paint coming . We can use able bodies to help with that. Also we are updateing the bathrooms to include normal dividers and could use a little help from a carpenter to build those dividers. Thankyou to all who have expressed thier desire to help and we look forward to opening the speedway again in March of 09,Jim and Laurie Scribellito

hows the track looking how much more work needs to be done

Thanks to good people from all over South Texas we are makeing progress and do expect to open the first part of Mar 09. We still need to paint the place and am setting up the concessions as well as wireing the place to upgrade all services. We still need poles of size to build shade buildings for the kids and the moms and we really want to build a covered pavillion to eventually become our banquet hall. There have been so many great companies and friends helping us and we can only say THANKYOU for all of that help. We expect Shady Oaks speedway to grow and look forward to our Grand opening in Mar 09. Rules will be posted on the website www.shadyoakspeedway.com very soon and a schedule as well. Thankyou for all of the interest in the speedway,Jim and Laurie Scribellito

Sounds great! Laurie we appreciate you taking time to post the least bit of info keeping all of us excited with anticipation. Please note that alot of us are waiting for the rules to be released when its possible so we can react appropriately. Hope everything is coming along at the pace you need it to be. As you are a lot of us are looking forward to this coming year.

Drove by Shady Oaks Saturday afternoon, and there was new owner Jim S. with some guys who are helping him get it in shape for next year.

They are doing a bang up job cleaning and rebuilding the place.

Jim welcomes any visitors with open arms, wants to know what you've done in racing, and he'll even offer ya a job for next year! LOL

He stated he is nowhere done with the ttack layout, will be keeping that clay top, but wants the surface a little wider, with more banking. He is also doing a lot for fan amenities, and for the pit side folks, you still have your favorite shade tree to pit under.

He is also looking to work close with Edna as far as car classes and rules, and has some special events planned for next year. (Hint- big wings and RR tires)

Very nice visit, and with the success Edna is having, the dirt guys have a lot to look forward to for 2009 and beyond.

He also said he wishes he could get more updates to everyone, but his internet service out there runs about 5 smoke signals a minute, so bear with him on this one.

A few quick pictures:

Pic 1 is the pit area,

Pic 2 is looking back down the backstretch to turn 2.

Pic 3 is going into turn 3

Pic 4 is looking across to the grandstands.

post-21-1227456440_thumb.jpg

post-21-1227456462_thumb.jpg

post-21-1227456475_thumb.jpg

post-21-1227456491_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics textom, I can see why the new owner wants to add some bank, that's one flat lookin sucker, lots of braking for those corners! In the midst of all the remodel and construction, I hope there is thought given to fire and EMS crews accesibility and availablity! Real nice looking facility and the attitude is phenominal, wish the best!

Paul

Actually, the banking in the pic is an optical illusion. It is really banked pretty good, I just couldn't get a very good angle to show the angle. If you ran on it right now, you'd like it.

Only ran there once, at a Halloween Havoc about 5 or 6 years ago.

If I recall, the banking was greater than say Texana in Edna, but less than either Cleveland's 105 track or HRP in Baytown. Also, even though the straights where/are fairly long and the turns were tight, seemed like there was enough banking to carry good speed through the turns. In other words, you didn't just barrel off into the turns and have to pivot around the apex too much.

Do remember one fact that lead to a couple of laughs.

One, I went into turn 1 way too fast one evening and ended up on the back-side of the turn. It's dark back there! :rolleyes:

The second, a car ahead of me going through 1 and 2 went in too hot and disappeared over the hill. The next thing I know, here he comes back over onto the track after driving up and over the outside berm of the back stetch :blink:

Nice park-like setting to the pits. And, once again, memory is a bit fuzzy, but didnt/don't they have shower facilities on site?

Archived